PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk OL line-up should Rankin miss BYU

BeastMan
10-05-2017, 03:11 PM
I've asked around on the status and haven't gotten anything definitive on Rankin so for sake of argument, let's assume he's out. If Dan/Hev send out Eiland at LT, I'm not going to be a real happy camper. Eiland actually looked so much better than he did in HS, I think there is a future for him. I thought he was Damian Robinson 2.0 and I was wrong on that. He'll be a starter but he's still at least a year off from being there. He took a beating in the Auburn game. I do not think that was the best 5 combo we have. In the Auburn game, I get you can't go crazy mixing and matching but when you have a buy week before BYU, you cannot tell me that Elgton Jenkins should not be the LT with either Darryl Williams at center and plugging Storey at guard or just go straight to Harrison Moon at center.

Hopefully Rankin will be back but I'm all for holding him out for BYU to ensure he's 100% for the SEC toss-up games. We have 2 weeks to put our best 5 out there. What does that look like?

Jack Lambert
10-05-2017, 03:26 PM
Not worried. I have learned not to worry about the O Line. I found that I am a happier guy.

Spiderman
10-05-2017, 03:31 PM
I've asked around on the status and haven't gotten anything definitive on Rankin so for sake of argument, let's assume he's out. If Dan/Hev send out Eiland at LT, I'm not going to be a real happy camper. Eiland actually looked so much better than he did in HS, I think there is a future for him. I thought he was Damian Robinson 2.0 and I was wrong on that. He'll be a starter but he's still at least a year off from being there. He took a beating in the Auburn game. I do not think that was the best 5 combo we have. In the Auburn game, I get you can't go crazy mixing and matching but when you have a buy week before BYU, you cannot tell me that Elgton Jenkins should not be the LT with either Darryl Williams at center and plugging Storey at guard or just go straight to Harrison Moon at center.

Hopefully Rankin will be back but I'm all for holding him out for BYU to ensure he's 100% for the SEC toss-up games. We have 2 weeks to put our best 5 out there. What does that look like?

Little birdie say he done for the year. Ligament damage

TrapGame
10-05-2017, 03:35 PM

Well, crap.

Dallas_Dawg
10-05-2017, 03:36 PM
That would suck. Please say it's not true

Spiderman
10-05-2017, 03:37 PM
That would suck. Please say it's not true

Hope not, but usually a spot on source

BeastMan
10-05-2017, 03:43 PM

Well that makes the topic of this thread more important. What’s your 5? I’m going Jenkins, Storey, Williams, Calhoun, Reese. Either that or start Moon at center and kick Jenkins over.

Shake 'n Bake
10-05-2017, 03:45 PM
Ligament damage on his high ankle sprain? I’m skeptical

Jack Lambert
10-05-2017, 03:53 PM
Ligament damage on his high ankle sprain? I’m skeptical

They can fix a ligament.

RiverCityDawg
10-05-2017, 03:54 PM
Well that makes the topic of this thread more important. What’s your 5? I’m going Jenkins, Storey, Williams, Calhoun, Reese. Either that or start Moon at center and kick Jenkins over.

Part is me agrees, but on the other hand maybe Eiland looks a lot better not going against one of the 3 great defenses in the league on the road.

somebodyshotmypaw
10-05-2017, 04:14 PM
If Rankin is out one game, you simply plug in your backup (Eiland). That way you keep chemistry with the other 4 staying in the same spot.

If Rankin is out all year, then you have to think differently. You have to think is Eiland the answer, or do you put in somebody else and start moving people around.

BeastMan
10-05-2017, 04:15 PM
Part is me agrees, but on the other hand maybe Eiland looks a lot better not going against one of the 3 great defenses in the league on the road.

Well of course he’ll look better against worse competition but is that the best 5 on the field?

Bully13
10-05-2017, 04:50 PM

Well 17 us . shit.

Ifyouonlyknew
10-05-2017, 04:51 PM
Eiland would be the 5th starter

Todd4State
10-05-2017, 05:02 PM
I don't understand why we don't give Moon a look at center. I'm not saying he's the solution but it sort of seems like we aren't giving him a fair shot. He hasn't looked that bad when he played.

Ari Gold
10-05-2017, 05:34 PM
Do expect to see Rankin play next sat. After that no idea.

Bully13
10-05-2017, 06:16 PM
being in this position sux AND eats a big bag of dicks. 4 and 5 star OLmen should be foaming at the bit. c'mon, guys, let's end this shit NOW.

Leeshouldveflanked
10-05-2017, 06:59 PM
I would put Moon at C and move Jenkins to LT.... Regardless 1A Mississippi OL Coach > Hevesy.

BeastMan
10-05-2017, 07:29 PM
Eiland would be the 5th starter

You can easily sell me on Eiland as starting LT in 2 years. You can sell me on it next year and I'll grimace but it's sellable. Eiland at LT for the remainder of the season is terrifying. I get that it's building for the future but got dangit I want to win more than 6 games this year. I want to win 8 this year and set up for a big year next year.

Todd4State
10-05-2017, 08:09 PM
You can easily sell me on Eiland as starting LT in 2 years. You can sell me on it next year and I'll grimace but it's sellable. Eiland at LT for the remainder of the season is terrifying. I get that it's building for the future but got dangit I want to win more than 6 games this year. I want to win 8 this year and set up for a big year next year.

That's what can happen if you only recruit three o-linemen at a time and you redshirt every JUCO guy that you get. And then do nothing about it for 9 years.

Tripp McNeely
10-05-2017, 08:15 PM
Do expect to see Rankin play next sat. After that no idea.

I'm assuming you meant "don't"?

Spiderman
10-05-2017, 08:16 PM
I would put Moon at C and move Jenkins to LT.... Regardless 1A Mississippi OL Coach > Hevesy.

I'm so sick of this, Hevesy is not a bad OL coach

msstate7
10-05-2017, 08:20 PM
I'm so sick of this, Hevesy is not a bad OL coach

It?ll never stop

Kyper
10-05-2017, 08:41 PM

if this is true- the Kentucky and OM games come into play as possible losses and 6 wins becomes a question

Kyper
10-05-2017, 08:45 PM
Eiland is not SEC-ready. If he has to play extended snaps- then we likely do not beat Kentucky, A&M, or Arkansas. Beatdown by Bama. That leaves the Ole Miss game deciding if we go bowling or not depending on our team grades

Losing Rankin would be crushing

Spiderman
10-05-2017, 09:12 PM
Eiland is not SEC-ready. If he has to play extended snaps- then we likely do not beat Kentucky, A&M, or Arkansas. Beatdown by Bama. That leaves the Ole Miss game deciding if we go bowling or not depending on our team grades

If we can't beat Ky or Ole Miss without Rankin, we deserve to not go bowling.

HoopsDawg
10-05-2017, 09:28 PM
If we are going to leave Jenkins at C next year then I wouldn't move him. But if Hev is planning on Jenkins replacing Rankin then it makes sense to go ahead and move him to tackle now.

I thought Williams or Calhoun were going to be our starting Center this year. The fact that they weren't might speak to their ability to make the calls.

Kyper
10-05-2017, 09:33 PM
If we can't beat Ky or Ole Miss without Rankin, we deserve to not go bowling.

Kentucky is about to be 5-1 and is 2nd in the SEC vs the run.

msstate7
10-05-2017, 09:42 PM
We?ll beat Kentucky

Spiderman
10-05-2017, 09:55 PM
Kentucky is about to be 5-1 and is 2nd in the SEC vs the run.

and they are still Ky.

2nd in the East...... not saying much at all

Commercecomet24
10-05-2017, 10:02 PM
and they are still Ky.

And they have zero offense and have struggled mightily against some very mediocre teams.

msstate7
10-05-2017, 10:03 PM
And they have zero offense and have struggled mightily against some very mediocre teams.

Kentucky is about like LSU... maybe not as good

Spiderman
10-05-2017, 10:05 PM

I'm taking LSU in the Swamp getting 4

Commercecomet24
10-05-2017, 10:05 PM

Poor mans lsu maybe lol

Kyper
10-05-2017, 10:08 PM
and they are still Ky.

same shit we were told last year. We likely dont beat Kentucky with Eiland playing. We will struggle to score 14 points

Kyper
10-05-2017, 10:09 PM

Kentucky is better than Troy

msstate7
10-05-2017, 10:11 PM
I'm taking LSU in the Swamp getting 4

I like LSU this weekend too

Spiderman
10-05-2017, 10:27 PM
same shit we were told last year. We likely dont beat Kentucky with Eiland playing. We will struggle to score 14 points

And we were a bad team last year and they had to kick a 50 yd FG to win, at home. KY is not that good.

Hell, they couldn't beat a bad Fla. team at home.

If we play like we are capable, we handle Ky easily

Commercecomet24
10-05-2017, 10:50 PM
And we were a bad team last year and they had to kick a 50 yd FG to win, at home. KY is not that good.

Yep.

NCDawg
10-05-2017, 11:32 PM
I don't understand why we don't give Moon a look at center. I'm not saying he's the solution but it sort of seems like we aren't giving him a fair shot. He hasn't looked that bad when he played.

I agree with this. This Moon's 3rd year, and if Hevesy thinks he is not good enough to play, maybe he should transfer to another school. It seems we have quite a few similar OL. Sign them to a scholarship, but never see them on the field.

pilldawg
10-05-2017, 11:49 PM
I agree with this. This Moon's 3rd year, and if Hevesy thinks he is not good enough to play, maybe he should transfer to another school. It seems we have quite a few similar OL. Sign them to a scholarship, but never see them on the field.

I would assume that may come off if Rankin is out for the year.

Todd4State
10-05-2017, 11:54 PM
I would assume that may come off if Rankin is out for the year.

Maybe but I bet we would just go with Eiland and hope for the best.

That would mean- our tackles are both redshirt freshman and honestly Reese profiles better at guard. The guards are a So. and a Jr. And the center is a Jr. in his first year of playing Jr.

Tbonewannabe
10-06-2017, 08:57 AM
Maybe but I bet we would just go with Eiland and hope for the best.

That would mean- our tackles are both redshirt freshman and honestly Reese profiles better at guard. The guards are a So. and a Jr. And the center is a Jr. in his first year of playing Jr.

Unless those guys are 5 star guys then it is never a good thing to have a freshman at Tackle in the SEC. Freshmen end up typically looking like Eiland did against AU. Hopefully he will improve since everyone but Bama is a big step down from what he has already played against.

bluelightstar
10-06-2017, 09:43 AM

The score is what it is, but we were lucky to even be in that game against KY last year. They outgained us by 200 yards and we had a 80+ yard fumble return TD when they were about to score on us. If people continue to just assume the Kentucky game is a walk-through, there might be a meltdown on here if the game is close.

msstate7
10-06-2017, 09:46 AM
The score is what it is, but we were lucky to even be in that game against KY last year. They outgained us by 200 yards and we had a 80+ yard fumble return TD when they were about to score on us. If people continue to just assume the Kentucky game is a walk-through, there might be a meltdown on here if the game is close.
There will be a melt down for every game, no matter the outcome

thf24
10-06-2017, 10:06 AM
It seems we have quite a few similar OL. Sign them to a scholarship, but never see them on the field.

Not saying our o-line recruiting hasn't been sub-par, because it absolutely has, but what you said is simply the reality of o-line recruiting for practically everyone. It's the hardest set of positions on the field to evaluate aside from arguably place kicker, so you have to take the shotgun approach. Without doing the research, I'd be surprised if more than half of the average team's OL signees ever played significant snaps under ideal circumstances. Again, not saying our OL recruiting hasn't been awful, but signing OL to scholarships who go on not to contribute isn't out of the ordinary.

Kyper
10-06-2017, 10:17 AM
I think Florida beats LSU by double digits

Tbonewannabe
10-06-2017, 12:04 PM
Not saying our o-line recruiting hasn't been sub-par, because it absolutely has, but what you said is simply the reality of o-line recruiting for practically everyone. It's the hardest set of positions on the field to evaluate aside from arguably place kicker, so you have to take the shotgun approach. Without doing the research, I'd be surprised if more than half of the average team's OL signees ever played significant snaps under ideal circumstances. Again, not saying our OL recruiting hasn't been awful, but signing OL to scholarships who go on not to contribute isn't out of the ordinary.

We also don't process players out like other programs do. Bama doesn't keep guys on schollies who aren't going to produce. We end up with guys who play only in blowouts 2 or 3 times a year.

NCDawg
10-06-2017, 12:18 PM

I agree. Eiland is no-where near SEC ready. We have other guys on the team that I'm sure are more advanced than him. Moon is a center, and has played pretty good in the few times that Hevesy has allowed him to play. Why not give him a shot and put Jenkins back at tackle where he should be in the first place.

Tbonewannabe
10-06-2017, 12:50 PM
I agree. Eiland is no-where near SEC ready. We have other guys on the team that I'm sure are more advanced than him. Moon is a center, and has played pretty good in the few times that Hevesy has allowed him to play. Why not give him a shot and put Jenkins back at tackle where he should be in the first place.

I have no clue how they are rating him but there is more to center than blocking the guy in front of you. It could be that he struggles on making the calls at the line. At the end of the day, Hev and Mullen get paid to put the best combination of guys out there.

NCDawg
10-06-2017, 01:23 PM
I have no clue how they are rating him but there is more to center than blocking the guy in front of you. It could be that he struggles on making the calls at the line. At the end of the day, Hev and Mullen get paid to put the best combination of guys out there.

Yeah, you are correct in that Hev and Mullen are getting paid (an exorbitant amount I might add) to put the best combination of guys out there. Based on the outcome of these last 2 games in which we were outscored 80-13, some may question whether we are getting an acceptable ROI.

Bully13
10-06-2017, 01:31 PM

you make good points regarding that game but wasn't that one of the worst defensive games of the year last year? despite the last 2 ass whippings we've taken, I still think we take care of them handily this year. I still think we're better this year. should handle the Jell Meisters easily this year.

NCDawg
10-06-2017, 01:38 PM
you make good points regarding that game but wasn't that one of the worst defensive games of the year last year? despite the last 2 ass whippings we've taken, I still think we take care of them handily this year. I still think we're better this year. should handle the Jell Meisters easily this year.

No, that was one of many bad defensive games last year. We were terrible against Auburn (down 35-0 at the half), Arkansas and Alabama. Alabama put in their substitutes in the second half and just ran the ball to hold down the score. They could have beaten us bad as they wanted to.

LC Dawg
10-06-2017, 01:58 PM
There will be a melt down for every game, no matter the outcome

True story

Tbonewannabe
10-06-2017, 02:24 PM
Yeah, you are correct in that Hev and Mullen are getting paid (an exorbitant amount I might add) to put the best combination of guys out there. Based on the outcome of these last 2 games in which we were outscored 80-13, some may question whether we are getting an acceptable ROI.

I actually think who they play and where is not a bad coaching job. My biggest problem with them is we are having to play freshmen at the tackle spots and they aren't ready. You either recruit at such a high level that you get those premier tackles similar to the ones UM bought or you have to recruit enough guys and process out the ones not cutting it. Bama does both of those and we do neither.

Spiderman
10-07-2017, 06:01 PM
I think Florida beats LSU by double digits

You were saying???

Kyper
10-08-2017, 09:13 AM
You were saying???

Missed on that one for sure. LSU getting some guys back on defense was big for them

Cooterpoot
10-08-2017, 09:26 AM
I trust Hev.
Like a fart after Taco Bell.

Spiderman
10-08-2017, 02:03 PM
Missed on that one for sure. LSU getting some guys back on defense was big for them

and, with all respect, you are giving KY too much credit too. Florida is horrible, and won at KY

Jack Lambert
10-08-2017, 03:29 PM
and, with all respect, you are giving KY too much credit too. Florida is horrible, and won at KY

I agree. I think last season KY looked better then this one. They have not played a tough schedule and have not looked very clean in any of them. They are hurting worse on the O Line then us when it comes to injuries.