PDA

View Full Version : Visiting Team Locker Rooms

BigEasyDawg
10-05-2017, 11:48 AM
A really interesting read about college football visiting team locker rooms and how they are intentionally made to suck.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/20918212/visiting-locker-rooms-college-football-nice-reason

Mike Leach was quoted on visiting Mississippi State and in the visiting locker rooms. Very awesome!!

Leach told a tale of visiting Mississippi State during his time as Kentucky's offensive coordinator. When the Wildcats went to load their gear into Davis Wade Stadium, they walked into what was essentially a bedroom-sized concrete box. Lining the bare walls of that box was a series of naked nails.

"I remember exactly how many there were, because I counted them. There were 38," Leach recalled. With 70 players, it meant half the team's pads were hung while the other half sat on the floor.

After the team dressed, the players started down the famous spiral ramps that lead to Scott Field. Leach has no idea what the home side's spiral was like, but the visiting side was poured with concrete that had been polished to the point that it was like gray ice.

"[Then-Kentucky head coach] Hal (Mumme) gave the team their speech and they were all fired up and blew out the door," Leach said, "... and they had to tip toe down to the field while hanging onto the railing."

Were Leach and Mumme angry?

"Hell no," Leach said. "As soon as I saw [then-Mississippi State head coach] Jackie Sherrill I shook his hand and told him I was damn impressed."

But the hand that Sherrill shook was all but guaranteed to be dirty, no matter whose hand he was shaking. This is because there were only a few old working sinks in the visiting locker room. These were used (or not) after utilizing one of two toilets -- located in the center of the room for all to view -- that had no seats, assumedly broken off by enraged previous visitors.

Bully13
10-05-2017, 12:07 PM
hilarious. wonder what condition they're in these days?

I always liked Leach's sense of humor.

smootness
10-05-2017, 12:08 PM
Three things are awesome: this story, Jackie Sherrill, and Mike Leach.

sandwolf
10-05-2017, 12:38 PM

The man is a national treasure. I wish he would wind up at one of the SEC East programs.

Bully13
10-05-2017, 12:46 PM
remember when he was in the t.v. booth for one of our games? "I really like the way Ballard just pounds that thing"

Commercecomet24
10-05-2017, 12:50 PM
Leach is awesome! After they beat usc Friday night in his interview they asked him about the atmosphere after the game. He said ?Its kinda like Woodstock but everyone has their clothes on?. Priceless!

TrapGame
10-05-2017, 12:52 PM
The man is a national treasure. I wish he would wind up at one of the SEC East programs.

I see what you did there.

IIRC, his name was hot and heavy for the OM job before Freeze but I'm sure Leach doesn't let alums tell him how to butter his bread. If he winds back at UK we might be screwed, but I'm sure the Vols or the Gators will come calling first.

KentuckyDawg13
10-05-2017, 12:57 PM
You left this part of the MSU story out:

"The most impressive part, though: It was almost artistic," Leach said, a little too excitedly. "Sitting on the floor right between the toilets with exactly one roll of toilet paper -- it was exquisite."

Bully13
10-05-2017, 01:04 PM
after a loss while at Tech, he was mad and said some of his players needed to quit spending so much time with their fat little girlfriends.

sandwolf
10-05-2017, 02:08 PM
after a loss while at Tech, he was mad and said some of his players needed to quit spending so much time with their fat little girlfriends.

https://youtu.be/c6brYtuPX-Q?t=27

dawgfan016
10-05-2017, 02:11 PM
hilarious. wonder what condition they're in these days?

Got to go on a tour of the stadium right after the renovation and I was surprised at how terrible the visitor's locker room was, and it is intentionally so according to our tour guide.

Jack Lambert
10-05-2017, 02:16 PM
If it was up to me I would make the visiting locker room a tent off campus with one Dear John out side.

sandwolf
10-05-2017, 02:23 PM
If he winds back at UK we might be screwed....

Yea, I do not want to have to play him every year at UK. I'll be more specific.....I would like to see him wind up at Florida or Tennessee. I'd love to see how he would do at a program with those kind of resources. Plus, it feels like SEC football has gotten kind of boring over the past couple of years, and I think he would spice up the league a little bit.

Bully13
10-05-2017, 02:32 PM
Got to go on a tour of the stadium right after the renovation and I was surprised at how terrible the visitor's locker room was, and it is intentionally so according to our tour guide.

is that typical throughout the conference?

TUSK
10-05-2017, 03:34 PM
is that typical throughout the conference?

Yall better have waterfalls in the visitor dressing rooms come the Bammer game, dammit!

RocketDawg
10-05-2017, 04:09 PM
I seem to remember that after a loss one year (and I think it was in this century) the Kentucky coach went on a rant and destroyed our visitors' locker room. And that it had been recently remodeled. I had in mind it had really nice stained wood lockers, but maybe we'd just replaced the rusted nails ....

Maroonthirteen
10-05-2017, 04:19 PM
I believe there was only one roll of toliet paper. LT was AD at the time. That guy isn't going to spare a square.

Funny he commented on the frog legs. I remember when both teams tip toed down those things in the old days.

Bully13
10-05-2017, 04:29 PM
I believe there was only one roll of toliet paper. LT was AD at the time. That guy isn't going to spare a square.

Funny he commented on the frog legs. I remember when both teams tip toed down those things in the old days.

"frog legs" ?

Bully13
10-05-2017, 04:30 PM
never mind, got it.

the59dawg
10-06-2017, 10:46 AM

Current visitors locker rm contains all the lockers from the previous Bulldog locker rm. Bulldogs got all new digs in renovation of endzone, etc. Visitors got the old ones.