PDA

View Full Version : The Saban Rule is on the way

Reason2succeed
10-04-2017, 05:57 PM
http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/20915298/division-council-proposes-new-campus-recruiting-rules-college-football

Saban is going to be pissed. First he gets an early signing period he didn't want and now he is going to have to limit recruiting staff to 30 people. Of course this doesn't change how many analysts he can employ though.

msbulldog
10-04-2017, 06:02 PM
All for it, it evens the playing field for the haves vs. the have nots.

ShotgunDawg
10-04-2017, 06:03 PM
How many people currently participate in on campus recruiting?

30 sounds like an awful lot.

ShotgunDawg
10-04-2017, 06:05 PM
Does the 25 guy signing limit help or hurt MSU?

I realize it will limit sign and place guys but it limits sign and place guys for every else as well. So what's really lost?

Seems to me that it will make it less likely that Bama or LSU can find the magical space for a guy that we want. I.e. Bulovas, OJ Smith, Nigel Knott, etc. shouldn't the 25 signing rule help us with those guys?

missouridawg
10-04-2017, 06:07 PM
The early signing period could potentially be a game changer for us. Hopefully we use it to show how the Bamas of the world slow,play a lot of these guys.

7dawg
10-04-2017, 06:11 PM
Want to really piss him off..... set salary caps to coaching staffs.

TUSK
10-04-2017, 06:34 PM
Way to depress Alabama Employment Rates! Oppressors!!!!!

But, MMDL be like:

https://s.yimg.com/uu/api/res/1.2/XQiwc1d1tMg2Gxl6SAfMBw--/aD01NjU7dz04NDk7c209MTthcHBpZD15dGFjaHlvbg--/http://media.zenfs.com/en_US/News/BGR_News/yawning.jpg

Mimi's Babies
10-04-2017, 06:42 PM
I know of one who will be signing early and starting classes in January.... I am excited.....

What will be the signing dates in December?????

Todd4State
10-04-2017, 06:43 PM

I realize it will limit sign and place guys but it limits sign and place guys for every else as well. So what's really lost?

Seems to me that it will make it less likely that Bama or LSU can find the magical space for a guy that we want. I.e. Bulovas, OJ Smith, Nigel Knott, etc. shouldn't the 25 signing rule help us with those guys?

I bet if you asked Dan he would say it hurts. I think the truth is it helps us. Because it's going to force Dan to not have to fallback on the "counting back" and "sign and place" excuse. It's going to force him to be more diligent with who we are recruiting and taking in our class to make sure that they qualify. That means that Hevesy is going to have to make sure the guys he takes are going to get in. It puts a lot more accountability on Dan and his staff.

It also helps because now we can IMO "place" more guys because they won't have to be in our recruiting class anymore.

msbulldog
10-04-2017, 06:52 PM

What it will do is make us fill our recruiting classes, something we haven't done the last few years. What I wonder about is if you have a lot of attrition, graduations, grades, injuries and other things. How do you maintain a 85 man roster?

Todd4State
10-04-2017, 07:01 PM
What it will do is make us fill our recruiting classes, something we haven't done the last few years. What I wonder about is if you have a lot of attrition, graduations, grades, injuries and other things. How do you maintain a 85 man roster?

The only thing you could do would be give them to walk-ons. But I think the premium will be more on players that have better grades and in theory guys that are less likely to be students that have grade issues in college. I don't know how much of an issue that would be because 25 x4 = 100 scholarships over a four year period which would give you a surplus of 15 if everyone went to college for four years. Of course, that's not the case but 25 x5 = 125 scholarships over a five year period which gives you a surplus of 40. So, it would likely have to be a massive amount of attrition for it to be an issue.

Leeshouldveflanked
10-04-2017, 07:32 PM
With Hevesy and Gonzales, signing 25 or less is no problem.

Bully13
10-04-2017, 07:38 PM
I bet if you asked Dan he would say it hurts. I think the truth is it helps us. Because it's going to force Dan to not have to fallback on the "counting back" and "sign and place" excuse. It's going to force him to be more diligent with who we are recruiting and taking in our class to make sure that they qualify. That means that Hevesy is going to have to make sure the guys he takes are going to get in. It puts a lot more accountability on Dan and his staff.

It also helps because now we can IMO "place" more guys because they won't have to be in our recruiting class anymore.

didn't I hear a while back that MSU was launching a program designed to get the MS H.S. education asses in gear? WTF happened to that?

this "grade issue" bullshit has got to stop.

bulldogcountry1
10-04-2017, 08:57 PM
Seems like a way to take some advantage away from the Bamas of the world would be to put an end to last minute scholarship offers. Maybe my memory is exaggerating things, but it seems like we have lost out on some players over the years because of the last minute Bama offer. If you had to have all your commitable offers out at least 30 days before the Feb signing day, it would be tougher to go steal guys just to keep them from going somewhere else.

Token Bammer
10-04-2017, 10:13 PM
Way to depress Alabama Employment Rates! Oppressors!!!!!

But, MMDL be like:

https://s.yimg.com/uu/api/res/1.2/XQiwc1d1tMg2Gxl6SAfMBw--/aD01NjU7dz04NDk7c209MTthcHBpZD15dGFjaHlvbg--/http://media.zenfs.com/en_US/News/BGR_News/yawning.jpg

There have been many rules instituted because of Saban. He adapts and keeps dominating.

Todd4State
10-04-2017, 10:25 PM
didn't I hear a while back that MSU was launching a program designed to get the MS H.S. education asses in gear? WTF happened to that?

this "grade issue" bullshit has got to stop.

This past year it was just an issue with the o-line. If you recruit guys that are grade risks a lot of times you will have less competition. Less competition = less work in recruiting for a certain coach.

Todd4State
10-04-2017, 10:26 PM
Seems like a way to take some advantage away from the Bamas of the world would be to put an end to last minute scholarship offers. Maybe my memory is exaggerating things, but it seems like we have lost out on some players over the years because of the last minute Bama offer. If you had to have all your commitable offers out at least 30 days before the Feb signing day, it would be tougher to go steal guys just to keep them from going somewhere else.

I think the early signing period will help with that some.

Dawg61
10-04-2017, 10:41 PM
Saban still using ex-NFL players to practice against?

Jack Lambert
10-05-2017, 07:54 AM
I can't help but feel something in the Ole Miss COI meeting was made attention to and this part of the results.

Token Bammer
10-05-2017, 09:45 AM
Saban still using ex-NFL players to practice against?

It's allowed under NCAA rule. Cannot be angry with a man that takes the time to know and understand the rules he and everyone else is under. Then, taking advantage while others look ridiculous pointing the finger because they didn't know and act on NCAA rule.

Token Bammer
10-05-2017, 09:58 AM

I get where you're coming from, but my question is how many rules and restrictions are we willing to put on coaches and players?

Such a rule would make it harder for everyone, including State, to fill remaining scholarships at the end of recruiting season. Taking away the right for a coach to do his job to the fullest, and a player to change his mind and/or make the best choice for himself, is not the right thing to do simply because some programs are more desirable than others.

I'm also of the opinion someone can't take from you what you never had. A kid hasn't made any sort of official agreement until he signs on the dotted line. It's just part of it. Plus, everyone has a recruiting board, or a pecking order, for players they are recruiting. If one or more falls through the cracks, the next guy is up with a committable offer. It's part of the beauty in the coaches effort and ability to recruit, along with a player waiting and holding out for that dream offer to come through. Jmo

TUSK
10-05-2017, 10:07 AM
I say “go big or go home”...

Shotgun (I think) had what I believed to be the most radical but effective solution. Just reduce the number of scholarships Alabama can offer... maybe go to 20/75?

I think that would level things out some.

ShotgunDawg
10-05-2017, 10:38 AM
I say “go big or go home”...

Shotgun (I think) had what I believed to be the most radical but effective solution. Just reduce the number of scholarships Alabama can offer... maybe go to 20/75?

I think that would level things out some.

Sure, I'm all for total schollies being limited at 75. I don't see any reason why teams really need 85. 75 should be plenty & helps with Title 9 by adding more scholarships to baseball & other men's sports.

TUSK
10-05-2017, 10:50 AM
Sure, I'm all for total schollies being limited at 75. I don't see any reason why teams really need 85. 75 should be plenty & helps with Title 9 by adding more scholarships to baseball & other men's sports.

I meant just reduce only the number of scholarships Bama can offer to 20/75.

Everyone else stays at 25/85.

Joethedawg1
10-05-2017, 10:56 AM
No one should be able to tell anyone how much money they can earn!

Dawg61
10-05-2017, 11:24 AM
It's allowed under NCAA rule. Cannot be angry with a man that takes the time to know and understand the rules he and everyone else is under. Then, taking advantage while others look ridiculous pointing the finger because they didn't know and act on NCAA rule.

Well if Bama is doing it why are we not? Anthony Dixon and Fred Smoot gonna embarrass us too much?

Jack Lambert
10-05-2017, 01:22 PM
Well if Bama is doing it why are we not? Anthony Dixon and Fred Smoot gonna embarrass us too much?

You would think if it was beneficial to your team the University of Texas or A&M would be paying the Dallas Cowboys to scrimmage once a month. Hell they got the money and Dallas would have someone to scrimmage with out worry of your own guys beating the hell out of each other.

Maybe someone could start a business that hires former NFL stars and rent them out to colleges. Example USC needs a defense to scrimmage. What type? We will put one together. Could be very profitable for the owner and the former NFL guys can make money.

TUSK
10-05-2017, 02:27 PM
You would think if it was beneficial to your team the University of Texas or A&M would be paying the Dallas Cowboys to scrimmage once a month. Hell they got the money and Dallas would have someone to scrimmage with out worry of your own guys beating the hell out of each other.

Maybe someone could start a business that hires former NFL stars and rent them out to colleges. Example USC needs a defense to scrimmage. What type? We will put one together. Could be very profitable for the owner and the former NFL guys can make money.

Well, Ole Miss is probably gonna provide a scrimmage opponent 12x a year for the next ~decade...

Jack Lambert
10-05-2017, 02:32 PM
Well, Ole Miss is probably gonna provide a scrimmage opponent 12x a year for the next ~decade...

If we beat them does that mean we won a bowl game?

Reason2succeed
10-06-2017, 06:05 AM
No one should be able to tell anyone how much money they can earn!

Except football players.

NewDawg
10-13-2017, 10:30 PM
Saban can just about do whatever he likes. Hard to stop a freight train at 100mph. He's driving that train as long as he wants. Until he steps down it will be hard for anyone to compete.

TUSK
10-13-2017, 11:48 PM
Saban can just about do whatever he likes. Hard to stop a freight train at 100mph. He's driving that train as long as he wants. Until he steps down it will be hard for anyone to compete.

Welcome to Assimilation...