PDA

View Full Version : Diamond Formation

Dawg61
10-04-2017, 05:37 PM
As best I can remember we ran this formation once vs Auburn for an eight yard game and then didn't see it again. I think since (including) the Ok State game in 2013 we have run this formation less than ten times total but every time we run it we get good yardage. Why do we run it so infrequently? I would love to see this be more of a staple of our offense and the pistol formation with the speed option outta both of these formations. I think with all our backs, hybrid backs and TE's we can do a shit ton of creative things outta the diamond formation and best I can tell nobody else is really using it either so it'd give us an advantage there too cause defenses aren't used to seeing it.

AusTexDawg
10-04-2017, 06:15 PM
I'll admit that I know very little about X's and O's, but I've wondered this, too. The diamond formation seemed like a highlight of the Relf offense, and it seems like it would work well for Fitz, too.

Statefan
10-04-2017, 06:16 PM
I thought we ran it 3 or 4 times last week..... could be wrong. But we had some good success with it if i recall correctly. Hopefully we will see it more going forwards

RiverCityDawg
10-04-2017, 06:21 PM
I'll admit that I know very little about X's and O's, but I've wondered this, too. The diamond formation seemed like a highlight of the Relf offense, and it seems like it would work well for Fitz, too.

We ran it zero times with Relf.

Todd4State
10-04-2017, 06:47 PM
We ran it in the Liberty Bowl and Perkins got a TD out of it on a pass from Dak. No idea why we don't use it very much.

Dallas_Dawg
10-04-2017, 08:00 PM
Not the god damned diamond formation again

TrapGame
10-04-2017, 08:08 PM

Nobody expects the diamond formation!**

http://media.tumblr.com/1e9ecae786c34ec5840ddb5410ce0aad/tumblr_inline_njy76jrEyF1rwtnxb.jpg

bluelightstar
10-04-2017, 08:19 PM

My memory is that we started using the Diamond Formation after OK State surprised us with us in the opener in Houston.

Dawg61
10-04-2017, 09:39 PM

Oop Dee Oop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANYJbKdMHk8

Political Hack
10-04-2017, 11:14 PM
My memory is that we started using the Diamond Formation after OK State surprised us with us in the opener in Houston.

That's correct.

Cooterpoot
10-05-2017, 12:58 AM
Jesus! We’ve never used it more than a couple plays. OK State used it and it’s become some damn mythical cure all for people that don’t know shit about the option but worship it anyway.

Leeshouldveflanked
10-05-2017, 05:52 AM
TBH , I would go 2 TE's or 2 RB's and just "Run the Darn Ball!"

Dallas_Dawg
10-05-2017, 07:02 AM
Jesus! We’ve never used it more than a couple plays. OK State used it and it’s become some damn mythical cure all for people that don’t know shit about the option but worship it anyway.
This

Dawg61
10-05-2017, 08:09 AM

This

We've used if five times in five years and always for nice gains so why wouldn't you want to see it called more than .0001% of the time?

Liverpooldawg
10-05-2017, 08:20 AM

Yep. 61 just trolling.

thf24
10-05-2017, 08:24 AM
I like it as a different look 2-3 times a game to try to catch the defense off guard or exploit a mismatch, but you'd have to base your whole offense around it in order to get a positive result out of heavy use. It's a gimmick in today's game.

Hasu Dackds
10-05-2017, 08:27 AM
Yep. 61 just trolling.

Dawg61 is the worst poster on this site, epitome of troll

Dawg61
10-05-2017, 08:33 AM

That's not a very grownup comment Hasu. Would you like to discuss the diamond formation cause if not you and Liverpool are the ones trolling in this thread not me.

BB30
10-05-2017, 08:50 AM
I think the issue is personnel... You can't stick in it with what we are trying to do to create mismatches in other places. I also will state I don't know a whole lot about the diamond but from looking at it I don't think we have the Wrs outside to draw enough attention for Ds to no load the box against it and just play man on the outside. Again, not as familiar with it but from looking at it on paper that would be one of the issues I see with sticking in it. It will work for us here and there but once a D adjusts to it they will eat us up in it.

JDog13
10-05-2017, 08:53 AM

I resent this

JDog13
10-05-2017, 09:01 AM
I also will state I don't know a whole lot about the diamond but from looking at it I don't think we have the Wrs outside to draw enough attention for Ds to not load the box against it and just play man on the outside.

We saw what happened with Freeze when he loaded the box with his D, so I don't expect Dan is willing to risk it.

Dawg61
10-05-2017, 09:01 AM
I think the issue is personnel... You can't stick in it with what we are trying to do to create mismatches in other places. I also will state I don't know a whole lot about the diamond but from looking at it I don't think we have the Wrs outside to draw enough attention for Ds to no load the box against it and just play man on the outside. Again, not as familiar with it but from looking at it on paper that would be one of the issues I see with sticking in it. It will work for us here and there but once a D adjusts to it they will eat us up in it.

Yea I am not saying overuse it just maybe run it 5-7 times a game instead of once a season. Really I wanna see some of the play-action pass possibilities from it as well as see Fitz in more of a speed-option look. With his speed I have visions of Pat White at West Virginia returning.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
10-05-2017, 09:03 AM
Yep. 61 just trolling.

https://media.giphy.com/media/HPvfnOuz1tOgg/giphy.gif

Dawg-gone-dawgs
10-05-2017, 09:04 AM

https://media.giphy.com/media/JDbx0yICUNdPW/giphy.gif

Liverpooldawg
10-05-2017, 09:08 AM

Exactly. It works every now and then as a surprise. If you run it all the time you better be good enough to just line up and run over folks. Think we are that good 61?

Dawg61
10-05-2017, 09:16 AM
Exactly. It works every now and then as a surprise. If you run it all the time you better be good enough to just line up and run over folks. Think we are that good 61?

I think we are good enough to run the diamond/pistol and speed option 5-7 times a game. Yes.

LC Dawg
10-05-2017, 09:26 AM
We saw what happened with Freeze when he loaded the box with his D, so I don't expect Dan is willing to risk it.

Well played.

Liverpooldawg
10-05-2017, 09:34 AM
If you can't run the ball consistantly in one formation there usually isn't a cure all formation. The only real way to cure that is to be able to pass it consistently. If you can't do that then the box will be loaded. If the defense is of sufficient quality when compared to your offense then they will stop the run with a loaded box.

Liverpooldawg
10-05-2017, 09:39 AM
I think we are good enough to run the diamond/pistol and speed option 5-7 times a game. Yes.

You better not run that out of the diamond every time, or even most of the time.

Lord McBuckethead
10-05-2017, 01:25 PM
We ran it for 3-4 times I think. Approx Gained 12 yards on 2 rushes and I think we past out of it once. DB all over gray for the drop.

Liverpooldawg
10-05-2017, 02:50 PM

That's not a surprise. Run it that much and everyone will be ready for it. Then you have to be good enough to run it anyway. There are teams in our schedule where we are good enough. The last two were not among those