PDA

View Full Version : Are we going to sign some more offensive linemen this year?

Hasu Dackds
10-04-2017, 09:12 AM
I thought I read where Rosie said we weren't. We have 2 committed, with 13 coming back on the roster next year. That's not enough, Mullen.

Losing Cole Smith is still a head scratcher.

Any JUCOs on the horizon?

Ifyouonlyknew
10-04-2017, 09:19 AM
We will sign at least 2 maybe 3 more. My money is on 2.

Hasu Dackds
10-04-2017, 09:27 AM
Awesome, thanks

Snowman79
10-04-2017, 10:35 AM
What are the chances we make a late run at Cole Smith? Maybe he has 2nd thoughts with LSU laying a turd this year?

Johnson85
10-04-2017, 10:46 AM
We will sign at least 2 maybe 3 more. My money is on 2.

2 more high school? Or are you counting JUCO? Seems like we really need 2 more high school following up on getting one HS OL to campus in the previous class.

Bully13
10-04-2017, 10:49 AM
So we have the stud Kwatrivious Johnson committed and we expect to get 2 more H.S OL committed and sign for Feb 2018?

PassInterference
10-04-2017, 10:51 AM
I thought I read where Rosie said we weren't. We have 2 committed, with 13 coming back on the roster next year. That's not enough, Mullen.

Losing Cole Smith is still a head scratcher.

Any JUCOs on the horizon?

Wonder how Cole feels about Ed O and disgruntled fanbase over in tigerland.

Ifyouonlyknew
10-04-2017, 10:53 AM
What are the chances we make a late run at Cole Smith? Maybe he has 2nd thoughts with LSU laying a turd this year?

I just don't see it & im not that torn up about it.

Ifyouonlyknew
10-04-2017, 10:54 AM
2 more high school? Or are you counting JUCO? Seems like we really need 2 more high school following up on getting one HS OL to campus in the previous class.

2 more HS OL 4 total

Cooterpoot
10-04-2017, 11:05 AM
I'd take the OL at Brookhaven over Smith. I don't see us going after either very hard.

Johnson85
10-04-2017, 11:09 AM
I'd take the OL at Brookhaven over Smith. I don't see us going after either very hard.

Well shit, we have to have actual bodies. Maybe we've got some double secret HS recruits locked up that we like better than Smith, but if we follow up signing one high school offensive lineman with two high school offensive linemen, that will basically guarantee us another 2011, except it will be worse because we will have a much better level of talent completely derailed by the inability to find bodies to fill out an OL.

parabrave
10-04-2017, 11:47 AM
Don't worry Hev says we have a few TEs that he wants to make centers and tackles out of them.**

bostondawg
10-04-2017, 11:54 AM
Hev gonna go down to the local Chinese buffet to recruit some bodies for the OL.

*ahem* I mean, Hev's got some very secret OL recruits that he's gonna develop into studs***

Ifyouonlyknew
10-04-2017, 12:21 PM
If things close out like it's looking then the OL class will be 1 we can be happy about.

msstate7
10-04-2017, 12:24 PM
We lose 1 olineman (Rankin) this year and replace him with 4 olinemen (not counting RSs this year)... I think this is a step in the right direction

cuspid
10-04-2017, 12:33 PM
Hoping for carvin, that mystery recruit is a tackle and Cunningham signs with us as an athlete

Johnson85
10-04-2017, 12:35 PM
If things close out like it's looking then the OL class will be 1 we can be happy about.

That's good to hear, but I don't expect it to close out like it's looking, because OL is still the position we constantly fail to close on.

I expect us to look good in December and/or late January, and then for us to lose recruits we thought we were solid with and have OL not qualify. We better be recruiting some decent back up options hard, so that we aren't playing catchup when we find out we are not actually getting 2 of the 4 OL we were counting on.

Hopefully this will be the year that either Hevesy proves that he was getting unfairly blamed for shitty OL recruting or that Looney proves he can make up for Hevesy, because we really can't afford to follow up signing one HS OL with another inadequate OL class.

Ari Gold
10-04-2017, 12:38 PM
Like IYOK said prob 2 more both HS.

Johnson85
10-04-2017, 12:50 PM
We lose 1 olineman (Rankin) this year and replace him with 4 olinemen (not counting RSs this year)... I think this is a step in the right direction

Well, this class will be RS So in 2020, so probably the better judge is how we doing compared to the starters we will in 2019. Of course with only signing one HS OL last year, we might need to judge it based on how many we expect to be ready as a RS FR in 2019.

In 2019, ignoring attrition, we're going to have Reese, Parker, Eiland, Suggs, Story, Williams, Phillips, and Champion. So basically we have already seen four OL play: Reese (RS Jr), Williams (Sr.), Story (Sr.), and Eiland (RS Jr.). Then Suggs will be a RS So, Parker will be a RS Jr., and Champion and Phillips will be RS Srs. You'd think that would be enough RS SO and above to put together a decent line.

In 2020, ignoring attrition, we're going to have Reese (RS Sr), Eiland (RS Sr.), Suggs (RS jr), and Parker (RS Sr.), and then whoever we sign this class will presumably be RS So at that point. Obviously this ignores JUCO additions, but it would be nice to have another 4 RS So to choose from to fill out our line (especially considering it seems unlikely we will have two straight classes where we don't suffer any attrition).

BrunswickDawg
10-04-2017, 01:03 PM
Well, this class will be RS So in 2020, so probably the better judge is how we doing compared to the starters we will in 2019. Of course with only signing one HS OL last year, we might need to judge it based on how many we expect to be ready as a RS FR in 2019.

In 2019, ignoring attrition, we're going to have Reese, Parker, Eiland, Suggs, Story, Williams, Phillips, and Champion. So basically we have already seen four OL play: Reese (RS Jr), Williams (Sr.), Story (Sr.), and Eiland (RS Jr.). Then Suggs will be a RS So, Parker will be a RS Jr., and Champion and Phillips will be RS Srs. You'd think that would be enough RS SO and above to put together a decent line.

In 2020, ignoring attrition, we're going to have Reese (RS Sr), Eiland (RS Sr.), Suggs (RS jr), and Parker (RS Sr.), and then whoever we sign this class will presumably be RS So at that point. Obviously this ignores JUCO additions, but it would be nice to have another 4 RS So to choose from to fill out our line (especially considering it seems unlikely we will have two straight classes where we don't suffer any attrition).

Then we are halfway there with Johnson and McDowell and have IFYOK saying we have 2 more coming. There is your 4. It's also possible that Cooper and Richardson (from '17) make it from JUCO, and if they are RS like we tend to do, they will be RSJR in 2020. That's also why IFYOK said last January we didn't need to be in a panic if a couple of guys from this year went JUCO

Bully13
10-04-2017, 01:25 PM
Then we are halfway there with Johnson and McDowell and have IFYOK saying we have 2 more coming. There is your 4. It's also possible that Cooper and Richardson (from '17) make it from JUCO, and if they are RS like we tend to do, they will be RSJR in 2020. That's also why IFYOK said last January we didn't need to be in a panic if a couple of guys from this year went JUCO

what's McDowell's first name? thanks

Ari Gold
10-04-2017, 01:26 PM

I'm more concerned about holding on to McDowell than pursuing Cole..

StatesboroBlues
10-04-2017, 01:59 PM
Deleted...

Ifyouonlyknew
10-04-2017, 02:01 PM
what's McDowell's first name? thanks

Griffin McDowell

BrunswickDawg
10-04-2017, 02:13 PM
Think UGA or FSU are going to get in the game? They both love South GA linemen.

Bully13
10-04-2017, 02:15 PM

what's going on with him? his offer list doesn't show better programs than us on it.

Johnson85
10-04-2017, 03:04 PM

Because you think he's better? Or because his commitment is not solid? Or because you think some big time programs are going to come calling?

A combination of two or more?

Ari Gold
10-04-2017, 03:16 PM
Because you think he's better? Or because his commitment is not solid? Or because you think some big time programs are going to come calling?

A combination of two or more?

Yes better. No it's solid . And Yes they might

MaroonFlounder
10-04-2017, 05:19 PM
We are still relegated to having to find the small school hidden gems or academy guys like Beckwith and coaching them up.

It makes no sense, and until this changes, there will be no competitive games vs the top teams in the SEC.

Bully13
10-04-2017, 05:56 PM
We are still relegated to having to find the small school hidden gems or academy guys like Beckwith and coaching them up.

It makes no sense, and until this changes, there will be no competitive games vs the top teams in the SEC.

I think things may be changing on our end. our crootin' is really looking good these days.

Todd4State
10-04-2017, 06:50 PM

The truth is we aren't landing enough of the elite ones from Mississippi. Steen, Womack, and Lashley went to Alabama. Charles and now Cole Smith to LSU. Patterson and Rod Taylor to Ole Miss. A few of those we had pretty close ties to and I believe we offered all of them. The truth is we've gotten outworked a lot in recruiting.

Bully13
10-04-2017, 07:02 PM
The truth is we aren't landing enough of the elite ones from Mississippi. Steen, Womack, and Lashley went to Alabama. Charles and now Cole Smith to LSU. Patterson and Rod Taylor to Ole Miss. A few of those we had pretty close ties to and I believe we offered all of them. The truth is we've gotten outworked a lot in recruiting.

patience grasshopper. the board has been lit up like a Christmas Tree today with positive crootin' news.

Leeshouldveflanked
10-04-2017, 07:35 PM
If I remember right, neither MSU or UM offered Steen....

Todd4State
10-04-2017, 07:54 PM
patience grasshopper. the board has been lit up like a Christmas Tree today with positive crootin' news.

Absolutely true. The biggest thing to do or wait and see at this point is if we can get the other two o-line prospects as rumored.

Todd4State
10-04-2017, 07:54 PM
If I remember right, neither MSU or UM offered Steen....

I believe you are correct.

Ifyouonlyknew
10-04-2017, 08:00 PM

Dolla Bill is a 4* UA AA
Griffin McDowell plays for the top 6A school in Georgia (Lee County)
Jerome Carvin plays for a Top 20 program in TN (Cordova)
The other kid we're on has offers from all across the country

Your post just isn't true

BrunswickDawg
10-04-2017, 08:31 PM
Dolla Bill is a 4* UA AA
Griffin McDowell plays for the top 6A school in Georgia (Lee County)
Jerome Carvin plays for a Top 20 program in TN (Cordova)
The other kid we're on has offers from all across the country

Your post just isn't true
McDowell - Lee County is 7-0, and averaging 40 points a game and plays in the same region with Houston Co, Northside-Warner Robins, and Valdosta. They are currently the #1 6-A team in the state. The school has 1,600+ students, and it produced Buster Posey and Luke Bryan, so it's not some po-dunk MAIS school no one has ever heard of.

BankerDog
10-04-2017, 09:02 PM

Womack-was never coming here.
Lashley- Would you rather have Lashley or Jeff Simmons? I'll let you figure out what I'm talking about here.
Charles-Was from Louisiana. LSU was the "Dream School"
Patterson- Was living with a Ole Miss booster in Petal. Never coming here.
Taylor- OM pipeline, at the time, to C'Way was strong. And honestly Taylor hasn't really done much at OM. I'd take Elgton Jenkins and Deion Calhoun or Story over him.

Bully13
10-05-2017, 06:52 AM
Lashley or Simmons?

Hasu Dackds
10-05-2017, 08:30 AM

Yes, you understand this. I don't want to be stuck in a hole in 2019 and 2020 (when our best QB recruit EVER is starting) and unfortunately I think we'll need some JUCO help to avoid that

Doggie_Style
10-05-2017, 08:38 AM
Lashley- Would you rather have Lashley or Jeff Simmons? I'll let you figure out what I'm talking about here.

......are you insinuating we couldn't 'afford' both of them?!

BrunswickDawg
10-05-2017, 08:56 AM

Actually, what I think you are showing is that MS doesn't produce enough quality lineman. The kids you listed are spread out over 11 classes. Steen was c/o 2008, Taylor '14, Wommack '15, Lashley '16, Charles '17, Smith '18. When you see that 1 top kid a year is going out of state, and the 3 in-state schools have a hard time putting together OLs, the problem isn't the 1 kid. Would those kids in-toto make a solid line? Possibly, but it's not like any of them are setting the world on fire right now - except Wommack.

Ari Gold
10-05-2017, 09:04 AM
Actually, what I think you are showing is that MS doesn't produce enough quality lineman. The kids you listed are spread out over 11 classes. Steen was c/o 2008, Taylor '14, Wommack '15, Lashley '16, Charles '17, Smith '18. When you see that 1 top kid a year is going out of state, and the 3 in-state schools have a hard time putting together OLs, the problem isn't the 1 kid. Would those kids in-toto make a solid line? Possibly, but it's not like any of them are setting the world on fire right now - except Wommack.

Bingo . We have a winner.. And our OL coach won't work his ass off in recruiting to get guys

BrunswickDawg
10-05-2017, 10:29 AM
Bingo . We have a winner.. And our OL coach won't work his ass off in recruiting to get guys

Which makes me happy to see that Looney is the lead recruiter for Griffin McDowell. I can tell you the coaching that kid is getting is top notch. If Looney could bag 1 OL kid from a 6-A or 7-A Georgia school every season it could go a long way to alleviating our OL issues - especially if we can grab the 1-2 a year that OM usually lands.