PDA

View Full Version : Buy Or Sell: Donald Gray

ShotgunDawg
10-03-2017, 11:27 AM
Buy or sell Donald Gray ever makes a big play in big game for MSU from the WR position?

Bo Bounds was making fun of his scissor kick that he does when the ball isn't thrown directly to him. Pretty funny.

msstate7
10-03-2017, 11:29 AM
Buy. He scored a td vs om last year... he already has

ShotgunDawg
10-03-2017, 11:58 AM
Buy. He scored a td vs om last year... he already has

Ok. Does he make another?

msstate7
10-03-2017, 12:01 PM
Ok. Does he make another?

If you consider aTm, Kentucky, ark, and OM big games then yes. If only bama counts as a big game, then no

Dawg61
10-03-2017, 12:10 PM
Buy as soon as Mullen keeps him in the slot. He has ridiculous hands. ODB type hands. He is explosive on PR too but he makes me nervous with how he catches punts.

DownwardDawg
10-03-2017, 12:14 PM
Buy as soon as Mullen keeps him in the slot. He has ridiculous hands. ODB type hands. He is explosive on PR too but he makes me nervous with how he catches punts.

Lol. Me too. He scares me to death but his hands are like spiderwebs!

sleepy dawg
10-03-2017, 02:30 PM
Lol. Me too. He scares me to death but his hands are like spiderwebs!

Does he? I swear it seems like he drops 3 balls a game to me. They may be hard to catch balls, but balls ODB would damn sure catch.

RiverCityDawg
10-03-2017, 02:33 PM
If you consider aTm, Kentucky, ark, and OM big games then yes. If only bama counts as a big game, then no

This is the correct answer.

Bothrops
10-03-2017, 02:37 PM
They're all big games for us from here on out.

Dawg61
10-03-2017, 02:38 PM
Does he? I swear it seems like he drops 3 balls a game to me. They may be hard to catch balls, but balls ODB would damn sure catch.

I think you're labeling pass breakups as drops. He has also landed a couple times with his feet OOB but he's still caught it. He does need to work on getting separation from the DB and his route running though.

smootness
10-03-2017, 02:40 PM
Love me some Donald Gray. I'm convinced that any issues of his are primarily a result of us not using him properly or being unable to get him the ball in the right spot.

Tbonewannabe
10-03-2017, 02:42 PM
I think you're labeling pass breakups as drops. He has also landed a couple times with his feet OOB but he's still caught it. He does need to work on getting separation from the DB and his route running though.

He needs Jameon Lewis to show him how to play slot receiver. He could play for a while in the NFL if he learns. He has the pure speed and hands to play in the NFL but without great route running it is wasted unless you are 6'5".

sleepy dawg
10-03-2017, 02:58 PM

Yes, I am. However, when I used to watch ODB and Landry dominate everybody with their spiderweb hands, they usually still came down with those.

Ifyouonlyknew
10-03-2017, 03:05 PM
Yes, I am. However, when I used to watch ODB and Landry dominate everybody with their spiderweb hands, they usually still came down with those.

I think that may be the problem. Comparing a solid MSU WR to a 1st Rd WR with some of the best hands football has ever seen.

Tbonewannabe
10-03-2017, 03:13 PM
I think that may be the problem. Comparing a solid MSU WR to a 1st Rd WR with some of the best hands football has ever seen.

Hell, I would take Jameon or Bumphis about now. Gray has talent but we are getting zero production out of him.

MarketingBully
10-03-2017, 03:47 PM
I think he will be fine. The bigger kicker other than no holds called on UGA and Auburn were the early hits before the ball got there that should have been PIs. It’s a bitch going on the road to two top ten teams in the SEC in their home openers.

MarketingBully
10-03-2017, 03:50 PM
Hell, I would take Jameon or Bumphis about now. Gray has talent but we are getting zero production out of him.

You think Jameon, Bumphis, and Ross would have had better success against DBs/secondary that can get hits before the ball gets there with no fear of calls? We weren’t going to win those games even if we had Ole Miss’ receiving corp.

mstatefan91
10-03-2017, 04:20 PM
Buy.

Gray's biggest issue is that he is our only legitimate wide receiver right now. Defenses cover him well and our other receivers aren't making it necessary for defenses to change their coverage schemes. His next biggest issue is separation. On the odd chance that he does only face man coverage so far this season, he hasn't demonstrated that he can get separation from the DB.

Our lack of play making ability down field outside of Gray is what has kept Gray from getting a lot of deep balls thrown his way. However, when we have thrown deep to him, he hasn't demonstrated that he can come up with that big time catch.. either as a result of great coverage, poor throw, or lack of separation due to speed and quickness on Gray's part.

Gray will have some great catches this season and big time plays as the season progresses, but he is not Fred Ross and does not have someone like himself to take pressure off of him. That's what Gray was to Ross.

Maroonthirteen
10-03-2017, 04:28 PM
Buy. He is a good player that puts in a lot of effort.

sleepy dawg
10-03-2017, 04:52 PM

I agree, but someone else made that comparison. I was trying to point out that he is not ODB or anywhere near it.

Maroon Wizardry
10-03-2017, 05:04 PM
The problem is they aren't on the same page. Fitz is not a great passer. He stares down WRs. The timing with D. Gray and Fitz is not there. I place that on Fitz. D. Gray has caught some passes and gotten absolutely drilled and still held onto the ball. F. Ross was good but not great. The WR group he was with when he was most successful was pretty darn good overall. That allowed him to get open. Put one deep threat on our team and D. Gray becomes the one of the best number 2 guys in the SEC.

Dawg61
10-03-2017, 05:36 PM
Only talking about his hands and said they were ODB type. Sorry I have a high opinion of Gray's hands haha that summer video catch got me wooly on them I guess. He is by no means anywhere in the same galaxy as ODB I just think his ability to pluck the ball outta the air using only his hands is similar to ODB. Maybe I shoulda use Jarvis Landry as an example instead.

BuckyIsAB****
10-03-2017, 09:11 PM
This is a shit thread. Gray is a good player and will make plays. He already has. How much eligibility do yall have left? Im sure we'd love to have yall come guard him

Tbonewannabe
10-04-2017, 09:32 AM
This is a shit thread. Gray is a good player and will make plays. He already has. How much eligibility do yall have left? Im sure we'd love to have yall come guard him

Most people think Gray is a good player but something is off whether it is his timing with Fitz or playing outside instead of the slot. Donald has the best hands I have seen in a while and he has the straight speed. We need to get him more involved in the offense.

Dawg61
10-04-2017, 10:09 AM
Most people think Gray is a good player but something is off whether it is his timing with Fitz or playing outside instead of the slot. Donald has the best hands I have seen in a while and he has the straight speed. We need to get him more involved in the offense.

Honestly I don't think he's 100% right now.

MaroonFlounder
10-04-2017, 05:06 PM
If Dan would put Donald Gray back in the slot, this offense would click. He doesn't have the balls to just go ahead and put the tallest guys out wide and let them run deep routes to open up the short and intermediate routes for Gray.

Dawg61
10-04-2017, 05:29 PM
If Dan would put Donald Gray back in the slot, this offense would click. He doesn't have the balls to just go ahead and put the tallest guys out wide and let them run deep routes to open up the short and intermediate routes for Gray.

Couch and Mitchell on the outsides and Gray in the slot is the trio I want to see.

bulldawg28
10-04-2017, 07:26 PM

It's the routes he's running. Our outside WR's run very few routes that will give them an opportunity for separation.

BeastMan
10-04-2017, 09:24 PM
Buy he?s capable; sell on the guy delivering the ball helping him make said big play

Todd4State
10-04-2017, 09:56 PM
That big play TD against Ole Miss- Gray was in the slot on a screen pass.

Todd4State
10-04-2017, 09:58 PM
Couch and Mitchell on the outsides and Gray in the slot is the trio I want to see.

X- Thomas/Couch
Slot- Gray
H- Farrod Green
Z- Myles/Thomas

A lot is being made about Couch and Todd getting a lot of reps this bye week but I would be surprised if we do much differently. But we'll see.

Lord McBuckethead
10-05-2017, 01:26 PM

DB may fall down?