PDA

View Full Version : Coaches out there..were we running a lot of 3-4 this weekend and is that where

cheewgumm
09-22-2013, 09:35 PM
we are headed with C Jones?

Maybe we have been doing this already and I have not noticed.

CadaverDawg
09-22-2013, 09:41 PM
Good point, I noticed that too. Would love to hear some of our X and O guys' opinions on why we did this, is this something that Collins likes to do a lot, and was this just something to help take away the quick slant from Troy by clogging up the middle with 4 LB's? If so, it worked brilliantly

War Machine Dawg
09-22-2013, 09:55 PM
Not really a great Xs & Os or defensive guy (where's 57 when we need him), but my guess is that it's something we're doing just to be more multiple on D. I think we'll remain a base 4-3 team, but the fact is we've got the personnel to run both schemes easily. We can also run a 3-3-5 or 4-2-5 if we so choose. That's the advantage of having depth at all positions, but particularly in the front 7.

Honestly, I think we're a school that would benefit from switching our base scheme from 43 to 34. We never have a problem with a shortage of or recruiting LBs. But we struggle to sign and keep the number of monster DLinemen you need to compete in the SEC. The biggest issue is finding those space eaters that can play NG in a base 34. But we'd always have the LBs for it. Plus, we're good at finding some hybrid OLB/DE type players, like Deontae Skinner.

cheewgumm
09-22-2013, 10:04 PM
Yeah, I don't really know which is better or whcih we should do.

I think having C Jones opens up the opportunities though. I'm smart enough to see that. I'd love to hear some analyses. Also, what do we run against whom? For instance, what is schematically the best D agaisnt LSU, Bama, Ole Muiss, etc...?

War Machine Dawg
09-22-2013, 10:11 PM
I don't think we'll line up in any one particular scheme on a per game basis. I think we'll be what you'd call a "multiple" D, meaning we'll use several different looks throughout the course of each game. You're going to see us run some 4-3, 3-4, and 3-3-5 at various times in every game we play. It makes the offense have to prepare for a wide variety of looks and leads to a better chance of confusing the offense by being able to switch schemes at will within the course of a game.

Westdawg
09-22-2013, 10:21 PM
Base 4-3 is the. Better option against LSU & Bama, and you could slide into a 3-4 set on long 3rd downs. But I would want the 40 front against those schools' running games.

ShotgunDawg
09-22-2013, 10:40 PM
I just want everyone to understand how good Chris Jones is. This guy is single handedly effecting the scheme in which we play defense. He is the rare 6 star player that makes everyone around him better. Its gonna be a fun 3 years.

Coach 57
09-23-2013, 06:06 AM
It depends on what personnel you have. You can't run a consistent 3-4 scheme without a true 0 tech. I honestly don't think we have one. Not to say Turner couldn't develop one though. We have guys that could possibly be converted into one. I think James was going to be that guy, he fits that mold. But I just don't think he cares enough about football right now.

WM is right. We have been going to the 3-4 look in our nickel situations or facing a true passing down. Chris Jones looked really good at the few times he was at DE. But I have said that Chris is the most multiple DL we have and when his career is over he will be the best DL to wear maroon. Right now Collins REALLY likes our our LBs Vs slot WRs. Wells has looked good as well as Skinner especially to shut down an explosive Troy team. I personally love the 3-4. But again you have to have a true 0 technique to do it. But right now we are using it to be more multiple in our sets.

Political Hack
09-23-2013, 07:41 AM
3-4 is great if you can clog the middle with one zero and stop the dive play, but like 57 says our only true zero is RSing. Virges might be able to do it some, but I don't think that would work against the LSU's and Bama's of the world.

I also like going with 3 DL and then bringing pressure from a 4th and/or 5th defender. if you save those stunts/delays/etc... blitzes out of those packages for key situations its hard for an OL to adjust.

Bubb Rubb
09-23-2013, 08:34 AM
Good point, I noticed that too. Would love to hear some of our X and O guys' opinions on why we did this, is this something that Collins likes to do a lot, and was this just something to help take away the quick slant from Troy by clogging up the middle with 4 LB's? If so, it worked brilliantly

We are going to run a lot of three man fronts against the spread, fast break teams that we play. Collins likes to play a lot of zone and this look allows him to play more zone in the flats with the outside linebackers. It lets Skinner and Wells show off their ballhawking skills. The downside is that unless the defensive line shows super-human effort, we won't get much pressure on the QB. The reality, though, is that we won't get a lot of pressure on the QB against those kind of offenses because they are usually three steps and throw.

Coach34
09-23-2013, 08:53 AM
What is also big in running a 3 man front is being able to control the running game with it. Thats how LSU beat A&M last year- LSU went to a 3-4 look and controlled their running game- and then had 8 covering in the passing game. We tried it and they gashed us

If you can limit the running game with a 3-man front vs Spread teams- you can give them fits

Bubb Rubb
09-23-2013, 09:14 AM
What is also big in running a 3 man front is being able to control the running game with it. Thats how LSU beat A&M last year- LSU went to a 3-4 look and controlled their running game- and then had 8 covering in the passing game. We tried it and they gashed us

If you can limit the running game with a 3-man front vs Spread teams- you can give them fits

We have the personnel to be a very good 3-4 defense. We are missing a true nose, but we can get by because of the DE talent and especially the linebacker talent we have. With Jones at DE and with our LBs, we can really do some damage. It boils down to what the defensive philosophy is going to be. If we keep playing full zone out of it, we are going to get torched by some teams. We have the talent to play some man coverage out of a 3-4 look, which would allow us to bring additional pressure. Arrington/Whitley on safety blitzes, or Wells/Skinner on LB blitzes, with them double and triple teaming Chris Jones, would be some dynamite defensive play to watch.

Political Hack
09-23-2013, 09:18 AM
agree Bubb. With Jones and Smith able to play inside out and sideline to sideline, it makes it a lot easier to tackle out of the 3-4. I expected that out of Jones because he's freak athlete, but Smith has surprised me. That guy can flat out play.

PassInterference
09-23-2013, 09:45 AM
Smith was the biggest surprise to me in the Troy game. His TFL on that reverse in the 1st series set the tone and I think intimidated Troy. I think on the next play he made a tackled on the sidelines. A few times I noticed him going to the sidelines to make a tackle.

Having a DE that can play half the field is a big, big plus. He is for a DL what a Fred Smoot is for the secondary.

Coach34
09-23-2013, 10:04 AM
I've been telling everyone Smith is a draft pick- glad you guys are catching up

But Jones has far exceeded my expectations- I didnt think he could be this good this year- especially early in the year

WeWonItAll(Most)
09-23-2013, 10:11 AM
Smith was the biggest surprise to me in the Troy game. His TFL on that reverse in the 1st series set the tone and I think intimidated Troy. I think on the next play he made a tackled on the sidelines. A few times I noticed him going to the sidelines to make a tackle.

Having a DE that can play half the field is a big, big plus. He is for a DL what a Fred Smoot is for the secondary.

That TFL on the first series was a damn good play. I was saying good play as it was developing just because he kept containment on his end and was forcing the ball carrier into the middle of the field. Rather than giving him the edge. I was super impressed when he made the tackle.

Political Hack
09-23-2013, 11:27 AM

But Jones has far exceeded my expectations- I didnt think he could be this good this year- especially early in the year

I told everyone Jones would play, play well, and start by seasons end. glad you guys are catching up.

Barking 13
09-23-2013, 12:57 PM

I wish we had about 6 of him...