PDA

View Full Version : Jamal Couch

cheewgumm
10-01-2017, 02:24 PM
Should be starting now right?

This is a weakness of Mullen.

He makes mistakes on who should be playing often.... see Aries Williams, Fitzgerald, etc... etc...

Put Couch in now and let's not prolong this oversight.

Sacrifice
10-01-2017, 02:32 PM
I thought Couch did great last night. He actually fights for the ball in one on one coverage

bulldawg28
10-01-2017, 03:43 PM
Couch played great. He's exactly what Fitz needs a big WR. We look like the 09 team most downs with 3 WR's below 6'0 on the field.

thf24
10-01-2017, 04:38 PM
After last night, I wouldn't mind if he started at X. Even if he hasn't put everything together yet, he won't be invalidated by physical corners nearly as easily as Gray.

Todd4State
10-01-2017, 04:50 PM
I think he is earning it. I want to see him do it against BYU and Kentucky. He definitely played the best of our WR's last night- and took part in two of our rare explosive plays. Maybe the light switch went off last night.

Between Couch, Jordan Thomas, and Gabe Myles we should have enough to move Gray to the slot- which will also help us out there too.

Lance Harbor
10-01-2017, 04:57 PM
by explosive you mean fall down after catching the perfect pass?

Todd4State
10-01-2017, 05:08 PM
by explosive you mean fall down after catching the perfect pass?

I mean explosive as in at least he caught it and didn't drop it.

Percho
10-01-2017, 11:59 PM
What about the pass in the end zone where the ball was coming to him and he turns and looks at the defender. Even after that the ball still him him in the hands and he did not see it.

Dawg61
10-02-2017, 12:24 AM
Osirius Mitchell (6'5 freshman) needs to get a look right now. He got 1 pass thrown to him vs CSU and we haven't seen him since.

BuckyIsAB****
10-02-2017, 02:49 AM
He has got to be in the doghouse or something. Might be the routes or whatever but there's no excuse for him and Jordan Thomas not to be our top outside guys. Couch played more last year than he has this year

Lance Harbor
10-02-2017, 05:07 AM
Sad but true.

Dawgfan77
10-02-2017, 05:42 AM
Mitchell looks the best coming off the bus but his attitude needs to improve or he will get processed. This off week is big for couch and Todd. We also probably need to hit the Jucos for another big WR besides Guidry and process some of the non contributing TE.

Cary Hudson's little bro
10-02-2017, 10:40 AM
Shelby Christy
BJ Hammond
Jeremy Chappelle
Bear Wilson

Smokey
Jesse Jackson

Malik Dear
Deddrick Thomas
Donald Gray
Jonnas Spivey

Couch
Todd
Mitchell

Austin Williams

Mullen realized in 2014 he was in trouble and fought to hire Peterson, Pat Austin, and others in the recruiting fold. It's finally paying off with the 2018 WR class.

We really needed Guidry to qualify so he would be playing right now. Mullen was counting on him.

thf24
10-02-2017, 10:48 AM
Shelby Christy
BJ Hammond
Jeremy Chappelle
Bear Wilson

Smokey
Jesse Jackson

Malik Dear
Deddrick Thomas
Donald Gray
Jonnas Spivey

Couch
Todd
Mitchell

Austin Williams

Mullen realized in 2014 he was in trouble and fought to hire Peterson, Pat Austin, and others in the recruiting fold. It's finally paying off with the 2018 WR class.

We really needed Guidry to qualify so he would be playing right now. Mullen was counting on him.

I think Guidry would be at LSU right now if he'd qualified, but other than that great point. We seem to be turning the corner with WR recruiting; hopefully it continues.

Dawg61
10-02-2017, 12:04 PM
Shelby Christy
BJ Hammond
Jeremy Chappelle
Bear Wilson

Smokey
Jesse Jackson

Holy shit that is awful. Hugh Freeze's hookers really ****ed up Mullen's WR recruiting those two years. Yikes

sonofozarka
10-02-2017, 02:48 PM
I think people get too caught up in thinking that WR's have to "be big" in order to be effective, or that you HAVE to have size at that position. Or that Couch/Mitchell/Todd need to be on the field just because of their size.

Guys like Calvin Ridley, TY Hilton, Antonio Brown, Edelman, Cole Beasley, Brandin Cooks, Emmanuel Sanders, and ODB do just fine at under 6 foot.

I don't think the problem at WR is just that we don't have size, it's just that our small guys aren't very good. But I guess my point is that just because Mitchell/Todd are bigger, it doesn't mean that translates into them being better than our shitty small WR's that are Delta St material

msbulldog
10-02-2017, 06:41 PM
Holy shit that is awful. Hugh Freeze's hookers really ****ed up Mullen's WR recruiting those two years. Yikes

61, you think CHF put those girls on our recruits to drain their manhood like Delilah cutting Sampson's hair? LOL works for me.

Shake 'n Bake
10-02-2017, 07:23 PM
2013 actually had fred Ross too. By far the best wide receiver recruiting year of dans tenure

Dawg61
10-02-2017, 09:25 PM
61, you think CHF put those girls on our recruits to drain their manhood like Delilah cutting Sampson's hair? LOL works for me.

Haha I think this gif sums up our WR recruits reaction when they show up to MSU during recruiting and Dan & Staff show them their path to the NFL through MSU

https://media.giphy.com/media/Ut0KjWDAgyMFy/giphy.gif

Todd4State
10-02-2017, 11:52 PM
I think people get too caught up in thinking that WR's have to "be big" in order to be effective, or that you HAVE to have size at that position. Or that Couch/Mitchell/Todd need to be on the field just because of their size.

Guys like Calvin Ridley, TY Hilton, Antonio Brown, Edelman, Cole Beasley, Brandin Cooks, Emmanuel Sanders, and ODB do just fine at under 6 foot.

I don't think the problem at WR is just that we don't have size, it's just that our small guys aren't very good. But I guess my point is that just because Mitchell/Todd are bigger, it doesn't mean that translates into them being better than our shitty small WR's that are Delta St material

Those are all NFL players. Some of them play in the slot a lot even in the NFL. It's a lot harder for us to find exceptions like those that you mentioned and not something that we can rely on. Guys like Cooks and Edelman have someone like Tom Brady throwing to them as well- and while I like Fitz he doesn't have that level of accuracy. Or a lot of NFL QB's either.

We're usually better off getting someone like Couch and Todd that profile well from a physical standpoint and then developing them.

Ari Gold
10-03-2017, 09:18 AM
Those are all NFL players. Some of them play in the slot a lot even in the NFL. It's a lot harder for us to find exceptions like those that you mentioned and not something that we can rely on. Guys like Cooks and Edelman have someone like Tom Brady throwing to them as well- and while I like Fitz he doesn't have that level of accuracy. Or a lot of NFL QB's either.

We're usually better off getting someone like Couch and Todd that profile well from a physical standpoint and then developing them.

That last startement.. Developing them..
step one of that . Replace Gonzo.

Look at all the WR in the League that were ex QB's or played other positions in college.
With all the Athletes in the southeast and Miss WR should be a dime a dozen. And those that played the position in high school that come here should be ready to go with the right coaching.
That's not happening here. For all the Shit that Hev gets ( and deservingly so) that ****er does coach up his position.
Name the WR's under Gonzo that have improved from year to year? That list is going to be very very short.

sonofozarka
10-03-2017, 09:47 AM

I think getting a 6'3-6'5" 225 lb freak is the exception, and being able to find a 5'10"-6'1"190 lb guy that is a plus college WR is a lot easier. Even though we hit on Bear, I don't think you make a living out of finding a 6'4" basketball player that hasn't played much football and hoping he turns into Bear, Jimmy Graham, or Antonio Gates.

I agree w Croom that you should be able to find a WR on a street corner in Miami. 5'11" 185 lb guys that can run are everywhere and the NFL is littered with guys that size that played at non power 5 schools. The huge freak talents like Julio Jones, Dez Bryant, AJ Green, and even the guys OM has are more rare and so they're more sought after in recruiting and much harder to get.

Outside of Bear, Mullen's best WR's have been Ross, Bumphis, Jameon Lewis, Arceto Clark, etc... Bigger doesn't equal better, was the same thing when everyone clamored to get Joe Morrow or Antonio Hargro on the field just b/c they were big. Everybody thought we "missed out" on Jason Croom b/c he was huge but he hardly played at UT