PDA

View Full Version : You want to compete with the big boys? Put your money where your mouth is.

Hasu Dackds
10-01-2017, 01:32 PM
We all like to get on here and complain about SEC money, this and that....and I'm pretty sure it's easier to do for people who don't live in the south and are far removed from it. It's very easy to complain about what the coaching staff should do, administration should do, etc. Bottom line, if you want to be able to play with the likes of Auburn and Alabama consistently, you have to do what they are doing, which is recruiting well.

The question you must ask is, "How do we get that caliber of player to Starkville consistently?" And I don't mean cheating. That's a short term solution that always ends in disaster.

The only real answer is for the state of Mississippi to improve and grow in good population. We need less people leaving the state. We need more people investing in the state. We need more people in/around/investing/living/playing/working/coming to games in Starkville, and Mississippi. This is it, in its entirety. This creates an attraction situation, a situation where people want to go to school, and a situation where players want to come and play football.

Neither SEC money or decisions made by our AD, nor our coaching staff, can change this. The only thing we're missing is a little bit better baseline of talent....a 'resting pulse'. Right now ours is probably 3*. Georgia's and Auburn's is 4*. Alabama's is 5*. Good coaching can help, it can get you up a notch but over the long haul you are what your talent says you are.

At the end of the day, we're getting there. But more people need to be aware of these facts. Right now our ceiling is probably a consistent 8-4, 9-3 sort of team with a shot at the playoff sometimes. It will stay that way until the above facts come into existence.

Kyper
10-01-2017, 01:46 PM
Clemson- population 13K
Starkville- population 25K

Hasu Dackds
10-01-2017, 01:48 PM
State of South Carolina - population 4.9 million
State of Mississippi - population 2.9 million

Greenville SC metro area - population 400K (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Upstate_South_Carolina#Metropolitan.2C_Micropolita n.2C_and_Combined_Statistical_Areas)
GTR Region - population maybe 130K

Try again Kyper, you're out of your league if you want to go that route, facts are facts

IMissJack
10-01-2017, 01:53 PM
Mississippi is never going to organically grow an economy with the education system we have, period. The only way would be if there is some kind of natural resource that is discovered in the future, so that it can change the dynamics of the state like oil did for Texas.

Kyper
10-01-2017, 01:58 PM
http://www.clemsontigers.com/SportSelect.dbml?SPID=103701&SPSID=657772

Clemson only has 44 players from SC out of the 120 on their roster. Try again Grasshopper. South Carolina will never have the talent Mississippi does

Hasu Dackds
10-01-2017, 02:17 PM
That is sort of the point of the post. We better get happy with a consistent 8-4, considering those hard, cold facts. That is why the last 2 weeks really should not shock anyone. We played those 2 teams at the worst possible times. Both teams were jacked up to play us.

Hasu Dackds
10-01-2017, 02:19 PM
http://www.clemsontigers.com/SportSelect.dbml?SPID=103701&SPSID=657772

Clemson only has 44 players from SC out of the 120 on their roster. Try again Grasshopper. South Carolina will never have the talent Mississippi does

That is by choice. They can attract talent from out of state, where we cannot. But South Carolina also has just as much local talent as we do, that is false. Using 2018 247 metrics, they have 37 3* and above players, we have 40.

Also, while Clemson is probably our best blueprint (which doesn't surprise me that you clued in on them and only them), they play in the ACC, and they are located very close to Charlotte and Atlanta. What are the major cities that feed MSU?

Bully13
10-01-2017, 02:22 PM
Mississippi is never going to organically grow an economy with the education system we have, period. The only way would be if there is some kind of natural resource that is discovered in the future, so that it can change the dynamics of the state like oil did for Texas.
Oil sure helped but Texas is very pro bidness with no state income tax. Corporate headquarters galore with out of state bidnesses flocking to here.

MS should consider dropping the income tax . Be like Texas and FL.

Hasu Dackds
10-01-2017, 02:24 PM
Oil sure helped but Texas is very pro bidness with no state income tax. Corporate headquarters galore with out of state bidnesses flocking to here.

Well Texas always had oil, and Florida always had tourism. Those came first before the tax. But either way, I like the way you're thinking, that's the other point I was getting at in the post. The success of our football program overall may have very little to do with football itself.

Bothrops
10-01-2017, 02:32 PM
Mississippi isn't growing, and it's the only state in the Southeast that isn't. Arkansas is about to overtake MS in population, which will leave MS as the smallest southern state. It's sad that we have so many things that confine our growth, even the national media is a major problem for MS. But until we can successfully recruit software, IT industry, and more manufacturing to come here, nothing will change.

IMissJack
10-01-2017, 03:24 PM

The reason that TX does not have an income tax is that they make up for the income tax with severance taxes on oil and high property taxes. MS can't just drop income tax without making up that revenue somehow. However, I agree that to attract business, MS has to make some big incentives to business, because of other shortfalls we have.

Fred Garvin
10-01-2017, 03:45 PM
Well Texas always had oil, and Florida always had tourism. Those came first before the tax. But either way, I like the way you're thinking, that's the other point I was getting at in the post. The success of our football program overall may have very little to do with football itself.

I'm all for low taxes, but that is not what is keeping MS back. Mississippi has fallen way back in attracting/building businesses.

SEC state's GDP
4 Florida $926B
9 Georgia $525B
18 Tennessee $328B
22 Missouri $300B
24 Louisiana $235B
26 South Carolina $209B
27 Alabama $204B
28 Kentucky $197B
34 Arkansas $120B
36 Mississippi $107B

The ESPN money has been great for our sports programs. But we don't have the aggregate income our neighbors do, save Arkansas (but they do have the Waltons).

Like our OP stated, we have to dig into our pockets even deeper if we want to consistently run with the big dogs.

Bothrops
10-01-2017, 04:04 PM
I'm all for low taxes, but that is not what is keeping MS back. Mississippi has fallen way back in attracting/building businesses.

SEC state's GDP
4 Florida $926B
9 Georgia $525B
18 Tennessee $328B
22 Missouri $300B
24 Louisiana $235B
26 South Carolina $209B
27 Alabama $204B
28 Kentucky $197B
34 Arkansas $120B
36 Mississippi $107B

The ESPN money has been great for our sports programs. But we don't have the aggregate income our neighbors do, save Arkansas (but they do have the Waltons).

Like our OP stated, we have to dig into our pockets even deeper if we want to consistently run with the big dogs.

Given our natural resources, that is pathetic.

Hasu Dackds
10-01-2017, 05:43 PM
Given our natural resources, that is pathetic.

Please expound....of what natural resources are we not taking advantage?

Dawg61
10-01-2017, 06:06 PM
Tuscaloosa is a shit hole and this is a shit thread.

IMissJack
10-01-2017, 06:07 PM
Please expound....of what natural resources are we not taking advantage?

These days, it is more about the educated population, than the natural resources. Companies want to go where there are tax breaks, and a workforce that can handle more high tech jobs.

Hasu Dackds
10-01-2017, 06:18 PM
Tuscaloosa is a shit hole and this is a shit thread.
Wrong, asshole. Growth of this state is THE biggest problem facing Mississippi State University right now. In all facets.

Dawg61
10-01-2017, 06:56 PM
Wrong, asshole. Growth of this state is THE biggest problem facing Mississippi State University right now. In all facets.

So you don't think Tuscaloosa is a shithole. I disagree. Send your post to the Governor if you wanna fix the state of Mississippi. We just trying to get a decent offensive line and a couple serviceable wide receivers not turn Starkville into Palm Springs.

Hasu Dackds
10-01-2017, 07:26 PM
So you don't think Tuscaloosa is a shithole. I disagree. Send your post to the Governor if you wanna fix the state of Mississippi. We just trying to get a decent offensive line and a couple serviceable wide receivers not turn Starkville into Palm Springs.

We've been trying to do that for 20 years. You're clueless. Stay out of a grown up discussion.

Dawg61
10-01-2017, 07:41 PM
We've been trying to do that for 20 years. You're clueless. Stay out of a grown up discussion.

That's not going to be a successful way for you to mute me chief. Grown-ups would know that. If we have failed to get a decent offensive line and some serviceable wide receivers for twenty straight years (which is totally false btw, we have had some All-SEC WR's and OL before) it's a whole hell of a lot easier to just hire a better coach in those areas than try to turn Mississippi into some totally new amazing state. Btw I love Mississippi. It's a beautiful unique state filled with lots of wonderful people. What's even easier than getting a new OL/WR coach or turning Mississippi into Beverly Hills would be for you to just start being a fan of Clemson. Can't wait for your grown-up response.

Hasu Dackds
10-01-2017, 08:46 PM
That's not going to be a successful way for you to mute me chief. Grown-ups would know that. If we have failed to get a decent offensive line and some serviceable wide receivers for twenty straight years (which is totally false btw, we have had some All-SEC WR's and OL before) it's a whole hell of a lot easier to just hire a better coach in those areas than try to turn Mississippi into some totally new amazing state. Btw I love Mississippi. It's a beautiful unique state filled with lots of wonderful people. What's even easier than getting a new OL/WR coach or turning Mississippi into Beverly Hills would be for you to just start being a fan of Clemson. Can't wait for your grown-up response.
Already tried it, I just can't shake the dawgs.

Fortunately, I'm not a liberal, so I'm not trying to mute you. I love hearing others' opinions. In this case, I personally think yours is a little short sighted and not rooted in any real type of reality.

Dawg61
10-01-2017, 09:08 PM
I personally think yours is a little short sighted and not rooted in any real type of reality.

In what world is it easier to fix the state of Mississippi than it is to fix the offensive line at MSU?

Hasu Dackds
10-01-2017, 09:26 PM
In what world is it easier to fix the state of Mississippi than it is to fix the offensive line at MSU?
Because fixing the OL (along with keeping all other positions the same) has proven to be damn near impossible, relative to our competition. We just cannot recruit well enough to stay relevant. And nobody else can either, in a similar situation. Jackie has great trench play but couldn't get a quarterback. I mean, it's just that easy, right Dawg61?

Dawg61
10-01-2017, 09:57 PM
Because fixing the OL (along with keeping all other positions the same) has proven to be damn near impossible, relative to our competition. We just cannot recruit well enough to stay relevant. And nobody else can either, in a similar situation. Jackie has great trench play but couldn't get a quarterback. I mean, it's just that easy, right Dawg61?

If we beat Ole Miss in 2014 we would of been in the playoff. We were ranked #1 in the country for 5 straight weeks. That's pretty dang close to our ultimate goal and a heck of a lot closer to it than turning a state that has been amongst the poorest in the entire country for the last 160 years straight into whatever it is you want Mississippi to become to be able to attract better football players. Actually we are already much closer to our final goal right now just by having LSU and Ole Miss struggling. Seems to me if we just pluck 4-5 guys that would have gone to those two schools to go to MSU we will be there muck quicker than turning Mississippi into Paris, France. Good luck with your idea though. It is fascinating if nothing else.

Hasu Dackds
10-01-2017, 10:10 PM
If we beat Ole Miss in 2014 we would of been in the playoff.
Ok, if you're going to post utter bull crap, let's end this discussion. Swap Alabama for Ole Miss and you have a point, but surprise surprise, they manhandled us just like Georgia and Auburn just did.

Dawg61
10-01-2017, 10:46 PM
Ok, if you're going to post utter bull crap, let's end this discussion.

We were ranked #4 in the country and in the BCS playoff at the time we kicked off vs Ole Miss. http://www.espn.com/college-football/rankings/_/week/14/year/2014/seasontype/2

3rdGen
10-01-2017, 11:30 PM
We were ranked #4 in the country and in the BCS playoff at the time we kicked off vs Ole Miss. http://www.espn.com/college-football/rankings/_/week/14/year/2014/seasontype/2

I like the reference material.... strong argument..... damn, mans got a point. I remember when that game kicked off I was thinking we can still make it but we will have to face bama in the first round.

Dawg61
10-01-2017, 11:57 PM
I like the reference material.... strong argument..... damn, mans got a point. I remember when that game kicked off I was thinking we can still make it but we will have to face bama in the first round.

Honestly at the time I was afraid they were going to leapfrog Ohio State over us because we weren't going to play in the SECCG. I did not think Dak would lose the Egg Bowl. Looking back on it now though I do believe they would of kept us in the top 4 if we had just beaten Ole Miss. We were the nations cinderella team that year and i think they woulda kept us in for that reason.

ScoobaDawg
10-02-2017, 02:54 AM
Honestly at the time I was afraid they were going to leapfrog Ohio State over us because we weren't going to play in the SECCG. I did not think Dak would lose the Egg Bowl. Looking back on it now though I do believe they would of kept us in the top 4 if we had just beaten Ole Miss. We were the nations cinderella team that year and i think they woulda kept us in for that reason.

This is just wrong. no way in hell would they have not put Ohio St in over us. They were the Big 10 champions.

Lance Harbor
10-02-2017, 05:05 AM
Regionally, Clemson is obviously in a much better place. However, Clemson is in the middle of nowhere (28 miles/40 minute drive to Greenville) and the town is tiny and boring. Basically 5 bars and some sandwich/pizza joints. Starkville nightlife/live music/dining is on another level in comparison.

msbulldog
10-02-2017, 06:42 AM

Boy I knew right there, this was going to b a helluva thread.

Hasu Dackds
10-02-2017, 07:36 AM
Regionally, Clemson is obviously in a much better place. However, Clemson is in the middle of nowhere (28 miles/40 minute drive to Greenville) and the town is tiny and boring. Basically 5 bars and some sandwich/pizza joints. Starkville nightlife/live music/dining is on another level in comparison.

The regional aspect, and state aspect, are the most important part of this.

Dawg61
10-02-2017, 08:16 AM
This is just wrong. no way in hell would they have not put Ohio St in over us. They were the Big 10 champions.

That is your opinion. That doesn't make my opinion wrong. It's stupid to argue it 3 years later as no matter what we are never beating Ole Miss in 2014 so we will never know the answer. The point is we were much closer to our final goal that year than we are at any point to whatever is the goal of Hasu Dackds image of Mississippi for the future.

Hasu Dackds
10-02-2017, 09:32 AM
That is your opinion. That doesn't make my opinion wrong. It's stupid to argue it 3 years later as no matter what we are never beating Ole Miss in 2014 so we will never know the answer. The point is we were much closer to our final goal that year than we are at any point to whatever is the goal of Hasu Dackds image of Mississippi for the future.
Yeah, you're wrong, but that doesn't really matter anyway.

The bigger issue is competing CONSISTENTLY with the big dogs. Even if we miraculously made the playoff in 2014, that doesn't change the fact that we got blitzed the following year by the higher talented teams of the SEC.

Dawg61
10-02-2017, 11:56 AM
Yeah, you're wrong, but that doesn't really matter anyway.

The bigger issue is competing CONSISTENTLY with the big dogs. Even if we miraculously made the playoff in 2014, that doesn't change the fact that we got blitzed the following year by the higher talented teams of the SEC.

You act like I am happy with Dan Mullen right now. I am not. He needs a new OL, WR, OC and DB coach. He needs to recruit much better at WR, OL and DB. He needs to completely fill the 85 scholarships. He needs to perform better and win games vs ranked opponents. All of that he can accomplish by next year. Nobody on earth can accomplish making Mississippi a premier state within 50 years. Maybe you can get Microsoft, Apple, GMC, AT&T and a hundred other companies to all move their headquarters to MS and then maybe you can rebuild every town and city in MS to be beautifully modern ones and then you can get the population to increase by ten million people and then you can get some professional sports teams here and then.....this thread is stupid bruh

munk_munk92
10-02-2017, 12:02 PM
I think Mississippi is about to become the car industry of the South. I agree with the post above about dropping the income tax. make it as business friendly as we can. Good jobs equals more people with money.

DanDority
10-02-2017, 03:16 PM

I know you can't think this is possible, hell we'er already a FED welfare State as it is.

Offshore Dawg
10-03-2017, 09:33 AM
You people do realize that +/- 50% of the state of Mississippi is either on welfare or disability. That many people being that poor will never help the state out financially.

Hasu Dackds
10-03-2017, 10:09 AM
You people do realize that +/- 50% of the state of Mississippi is either on welfare or disability. That many people being that poor will never help the state out financially.

Well at some point you have to confront the problem, the elephant in the room. Maybe you don't, but somebody does

OR...the state continues to spiral the crapper

WinningIsRelentless
10-03-2017, 10:14 AM
Take it from someone who is still young that the area around Alabama campus is 100x better than starkvilke. To many of the old state fans view starkville as a place they want to retire to and that just isn't a good college town. That makes it a retirement community not a college town.

Hasu Dackds
10-03-2017, 10:22 AM
Take it from someone who is still young that the area around Alabama campus is 100x better than starkvilke. To many of the old state fans view starkville as a place they want to retire to and that just isn't a good college town. That makes it a retirement community not a college town.

Nah it's not that much better, just bigger. I was just there the other day. Bunch of chain bars/restaurants.

Big difference Alabama has is that they have Birmingham and Huntsville, which are viewed as professional destinations. Jackson/Montgomery and Mobile/MS Coast are interchangeable.

dawgs
10-03-2017, 10:42 AM
Not trying to start a political firestorm, but if ms wants to attract more intelligent young people or at least keep the most intelligent native students, the state needs to drop the bigoted ?religious freedom? bullshit and become a bit more socially progressive. Young people, even conservative young people, tend be far more likely to not care if someone is LGBT, and they don?t like laws that legalize discrimination under the guise of ?religious freedom?. Yeah, that?s a small part of the problem me faces, but that?s a fact among many of mississippi?s brightest natives. In my HS class (ms private school), none of the top 5 students still live in MS (nor neighboring states), myself included. And judging from social media, none of them post about political candidates and devolve into that kinda internet pissing match, but all of them post about socially progressive issues, including one of my best friends from HS who is a youth minister now.

So becoming more socially accepting and dropping the socially regressive laws would create an environment where some of the brightest intelligent MS natives would be more likely to consider staying home and building a career instead of venturing outside the state. Also, big corporations like conservative economics, but they usually prefer socially progressive environments, especially the tech world, so dropping that bullshit would also help attract major corporate offices.

Oh yeah, and this includes changing the ****ing flag.

Hasu Dackds
10-03-2017, 10:54 AM
Not trying to start a political firestorm, but if ms wants to attract more intelligent young people or at least keep the most intelligent native students, the state needs to drop the bigoted ?religious freedom? bullshit and become a bit more socially progressive. Young people, even conservative young people, tend be far more likely to not care if someone is LGBT, and they don?t like laws that legalize discrimination under the guise of ?religious freedom?. Yeah, that?s a small part of the problem me faces, but that?s a fact among many of mississippi?s brightest natives. In my HS class (ms private school), none of the top 5 students still live in MS (nor neighboring states), myself included. And judging from social media, none of them post about political candidates and devolve into that kinda internet pissing match, but all of them post about socially progressive issues, including one of my best friends from HS who is a youth minister now.

So becoming more socially accepting and dropping the socially regressive laws would create an environment where some of the brightest intelligent MS natives would be more likely to consider staying home and building a career instead of venturing outside the state. Also, big corporations like conservative economics, but they usually prefer socially progressive environments, especially the tech world, so dropping that bullshit would also help attract major corporate offices.

Oh yeah, and this includes changing the ****ing flag.

Your opinion is a legitimate concern for many. I personally think it's a chicken/egg deal. Mississippi has no real urban areas, urban areas are where social progressiveness thrives, and it's also where most people want to be nowadays for whatever reason.

To me, this is why Jackson (the whole metro area) is so important. However, most native Mississippians have written it off and want nothing to do with it.

Only other areas seeing REAL growth, from outside the state (not just moving people around within the state) is the Coast and Memphis Metro Area.

Dawg61
10-03-2017, 11:09 AM
thread headed for the political board

dawgs
10-03-2017, 11:21 AM
thread headed for the political board

So talking taxes as a way to bring business to MS is fine, but pointing out the socially regressive laws (which perpetuate the MS stereotypes and drives away intelligent young people both conservative and liberal economically) and the flag (which has been cited by major corporations for avoiding bringing production facilities to MS) sends it to the political board? Thought we were discussing how to grow MS and attract more people to the state.

Dawg61
10-03-2017, 11:42 AM
So talking taxes as a way to bring business to MS is fine, but pointing out the socially regressive laws (which perpetuate the MS stereotypes and drives away intelligent young people both conservative and liberal economically) and the flag (which has been cited by major corporations for avoiding bringing production facilities to MS) sends it to the political board? Thought we were discussing how to grow MS and attract more people to the state.

thread has always been headed for the political board since inception. you contributing isn't the catalyst, it isn't a sports topic hence why it's headed for the political board

dawgs
10-03-2017, 11:53 AM
As for Jackson, I have some friends that are doctors and lawyers that are from Jackson and moved back home. They live in Jackson proper, and they’ll stay there because of family reasons, but the socially regressive aspects of the state drive them crazy. They’ve all kinda wished they weren’t tied down with families and could move elsewhere because it drives them crazy. Jackson as an urban area isn’t the problem. The belhaven area and the area just north of UMC are pretty cool neighborhoods to hang out in and they are happy with that. It’s the state politics that weigh them down.

I have another friend from state that went to law school, moved back to his home town, opened a law practice on the square, renovated a building on the square to live in, renovated another as an event space, and has basically done more for the center of town than anyone in that town in decades. He doesn’t wanna leave his hometown because it’s small town America, but he texted me over the summer asking about any connections I had in his field because he’s seriously thinking about leaving MS after spending the last decade working his ass off to improve his hometown. The reason? The regressive social politics. He’s tired of it and tired of fighting against it.

I know it’s anectdotal, but I’ve listed the top 5 students in my HS class that have left the state, and 2 lawyers and a doctor that are all tired of fighting and either wish they could leave or are putting serious thought into leaving.

For the reasons you already listed (lack of a major metro area), MS is already going to struggle to keep socially progressive, intelligent students, but by pushing “religious freedom” laws and other socially regressive laws, the state is pretty much shoving intelligent native Mississippians out of the state. And then everyone wonders why MS can’t retain their best and brightest or attract more tech businesses.

Liverpooldawg
10-03-2017, 12:46 PM
thread has always been headed for the political board since inception. you contributing isn't the catalyst, it isn't a sports topic hence why it's headed for the political board

There is a reason 61 wants it over there.

Dallas_Dawg
10-03-2017, 01:17 PM
I agree with "Dawgs". I don't live in MS any more and don't see any reason to move back. Not many jobs, bad public school system, the stupid flag debate, etc. Every time I go back, it seems like MS is 10 years behind the rest of the country. This isn't just in architecture and technology (which is more like 20 years) it is beliefs. The "Bible-belt" tag isn't good for business either.

Dawg61
10-03-2017, 01:52 PM
There is a reason 61 wants it over there.

Point to where I said I "wanted" it over there. I said it is headed that way. Doesn't matter where it is really cause it has now reached boring af level.

Maroon Wizardry
10-03-2017, 05:24 PM
Legalize weed and that will solve all of the problems. I know people that will move back from colorado if that were to happen. Accountants, Engineers, tech people. There is a brain drain in the state all the older professionals are retiring and the young people are moving away. It is the only thing that will attract young people back, and it is a good thing for society. Maybe we'll even get some decent 17ing concerts too

Bully13
10-03-2017, 06:12 PM
Legalize weed and that will solve all of the problems. I know people that will move back from colorado if that were to happen. Accountants, Engineers, tech people. There is a brain drain in the state all the older professionals are retiring and the young people are moving away. It is the only thing that will attract young people back, and it is a good thing for society. Maybe we'll even get some decent 17ing concerts too

Is this a joke or are you high? LOL

I would love to see the GOV up on the podium making a major announcement about the state's future and that he's got it all figured out.

Legalized Pot. problems solved.

Dawg61
10-03-2017, 06:28 PM

I support this idea. It's gonna get legalized eventually why does MS have to wait to be one of the last five states to be progressive about everything. Legalize it now and use the money raised from it to put back into developing the state.

TUSK
10-03-2017, 07:35 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABc8ciT5QLs

BB30
10-03-2017, 08:29 PM
Our athletic giving is one of the worst in the conference if not the worst as well... we have fans bitching about not winning enough and those same fans will bitch about the cost of season tickets.. or bitch about the cost going up on baseball seats they have been paying 25$ a seat for since the 70s**... and it always seems like those bitching about cost of tickets, bulldog club donations etc are also the ones always bitching about us not beating Bama on a consistent basis... they all want something without doing anything themselves to help...

Bottom line $$ talks even in college sports it's no surprise that schools with the largest athletic donations/budgets generally win more than the schools that dont.

dawgs
10-03-2017, 08:37 PM

It’s really hilarious how no one gives a shit about people smoking weed here in Oregon (nor did they before is was legal, they decriminalized it like 20 years ago).

Maroon Wizardry
10-03-2017, 08:43 PM
i don't even know what to say anymore. Mississippi is a great place to be from.

Hasu Dackds
10-04-2017, 08:30 AM
they all want something without doing anything themselves to help...
Exactly, which is sort of what this thread is about. The biggest bitchers are from way out of state somewhere and they don't give any money or attend any games. Honestly those people should STFU. Those people often blanket blame 'coaching', lol

Dawg61
10-04-2017, 09:00 AM
Exactly, which is sort of what this thread is about. The biggest bitchers are from way out of state somewhere and they don't give any money or attend any games. Honestly those people should STFU. Those people often blanket blame 'coaching', lol

Really not a fan of people bitching about other people not donating money. We all have given minimum five figures to MSU through tuition alone. Each one of us is probably responsible for 6 figures plus of money going back into MSU. We all rep MSU and are walking talking advertisers and marketers for MSU. We buy tickets, we watch games, we donate money, we build and strengthen the family. If someone wants to go above that and donate extra money that is wonderful but that is never a requirement. Always a blessing that everyone should be grateful for and never expect.

Political Hack
10-04-2017, 09:23 AM
There's not enough job diversity in MS. It's all service industry and manufacturing. No tech, engineering, computer science, journalism, educators are paid less, tort pushed doctors away for years, very little professionalization of the state government, county government employees are few and far between with crap pay, consulting firms are ew and far between and even the ones in MS focus a lot on out of state clients, the maritime industry pales in comparison to LA, AL, and FL, tourism is lower than FL and probably even New Orleans. I could keep going.

We don't have the economic infrastructure needed to support young urban professionals, like a D.C., Nashville, New Orleans, Dallas, Atlanta, etc... and when the state government brings new companies to the state, its just more manufacturing... which will result in a few restaurants and service industries popping up around that area. We don't invest in education and more specifically STEM education. And when we do, we don't have the companies in MS ready to hire those kids. It's a cyclical problem and it's hard to fix.

Hasu Dackds
10-04-2017, 09:35 AM
There's not enough job diversity in MS. It's all service industry and manufacturing. No tech, engineering, computer science, journalism, educators are paid less, tort pushed doctors away for years, very little professionalization of the state government, county government employees are few and far between with crap pay, consulting firms are ew and far between and even the ones in MS focus a lot on out of state clients, the maritime industry pales in comparison to LA, AL, and FL, tourism is lower than FL and probably even New Orleans. I could keep going.

We don't have the economic infrastructure needed to support young urban professionals, like a D.C., Nashville, New Orleans, Dallas, Atlanta, etc... and when the state government brings new companies to the state, its just more manufacturing... which will result in a few restaurants and service industries popping up around that area. We don't invest in education and more specifically STEM education. And when we do, we don't have the companies in MS ready to hire those kids. It's a cyclical problem and it's hard to fix.
Agree and it's sort of like there was a snapshot of urban areas in America at some point, and everyone else got left behind. Most of them here:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/51/MapofEmergingUSMegaregions.png

That would lead you to believe that our investment should be around Memphis and the Gulf Coast.

RiverCityDawg
10-04-2017, 09:56 AM
Really not a fan of people bitching about other people not donating money. We all have given minimum five figures to MSU through tuition alone. Each one of us is probably responsible for 6 figures plus of money going back into MSU. We all rep MSU and are walking talking advertisers and marketers for MSU. We buy tickets, we watch games, we donate money, we build and strengthen the family. If someone wants to go above that and donate extra money that is wonderful but that is never a requirement. Always a blessing that everyone should be grateful for and never expect.

That's fine, there are lots of things to spend your hard earned money on. But don't bitch when we lose to teams with multiples of our athletic budget. We already do way more with less than many teams in our league. Don't expect to do more than those higher budget schools if you aren't willing to help close the gap. I give a very modest amount, but I honestly don't expect us to compete with the Alabama's, Auburn's and LSU's of the world unless they are screwing things up on their end (see Coach O).

Dawg61
10-04-2017, 10:06 AM
That's fine, there are lots of things to spend your hard earned money on. But don't bitch when we lose to teams with multiples of our athletic budget. We already do way more with less than many teams in our league. Don't expect to do more than those higher budget schools if you aren't willing to help close the gap. I give a very modest amount, but I honestly don't expect us to compete with the Alabama's, Auburn's and LSU's of the world unless they are screwing things up on their end (see Coach O).

I am not speaking for myself when talking about donating money back to MSU. That is private information that doesn't need to be shared. I am speaking up for others that might get offended when they see people bitching about other people not donating money. There are many ways to donate back to MSU or help build MSU outside of sending a check and everyone can contribute constructive criticism which is different from just bitching and complaining.

Political Hack
10-04-2017, 10:21 AM
Agree and it's sort of like there was a snapshot of urban areas in America at some point, and everyone else got left behind. Most of them here:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/51/MapofEmergingUSMegaregions.png

That would lead you to believe that our investment should be around Memphis and the Gulf Coast.

Absolutely agree, although I'd suggest building 5-6 block away from the coast line on the gulf if we're putting in tech schools and commercial infrastructure. USM should've been placed on the coast, which a huge specialization in tech, maritime, tourism, etc.... It would be the biggest university in the state if it was.

RiverCityDawg
10-04-2017, 10:55 AM
I am not speaking for myself when talking about donating money back to MSU. That is private information that doesn't need to be shared. I am speaking up for others that might get offended when they see people bitching about other people not donating money. There are many ways to donate back to MSU or help build MSU outside of sending a check and everyone can contribute constructive criticism which is different from just bitching and complaining.

Likewise, I wasn't talking about you specifically either...

(Steps on soap box)

There is a rampant mentality among fans, and ours specifically, that you "deserve" more than you put in and it causes improper expectations. It's a human problem, really, and what you are talking about reinforces this notion that you can expect more without doing the actual work required to achieve it.

(Steps off soap box)

I don't think there's anything wrong with being content with your position in the world, but this thread is about how to take a step up, and just having a bunch of good bulldogs that wear their colors on Friday and have a MSU license plate isn't going to do that. Not that you shouldn't also do that stuff, but that's the minimum required, not part of the solution for moving up in class.