PDA

View Full Version : WMD's Armchair QB: Sack of Troy Edition

War Machine Dawg
09-22-2013, 06:49 PM
Gents, Armchair QB is up at FWTCT (http://www.forwhomthecowbelltolls.com/2013/9/22/4759506/wmd-armchair-qb-msu-troy-mississippi-state-football-dak-prescott-jameon-lewis-dan-mullen) for your enjoyment. Read at your convenience and let's talk football.

War Machine Dawg
09-22-2013, 09:15 PM
Shameless self-promotion bump. Seriously, no one wants to talk?

TrueMaroon
09-22-2013, 09:31 PM
Shameless self-promotion bump. Seriously, no one wants to talk?

I cant get over how polished Damien Williams is. I thought he would be a 2-3 year project, but he really has proven that he brings something to the table.

Who knows-maybe he would have beaten out Sandberg even if he had made it to campus.

Also, good point bringing up about going for the extra score before the half. Its nice to see us have a killer instinct even though the game had already gotten out of hand.

War Machine Dawg
09-22-2013, 09:47 PM
I cant get over how polished Damien Williams is. I thought he would be a 2-3 year project, but he really has proven that he brings something to the table.

Who knows-maybe he would have beaten out Sandberg even if he had made it to campus.

Also, good point bringing up about going for the extra score before the half. Its nice to see us have a killer instinct even though the game had already gotten out of hand.

Agree about Williams. I'll eat my crow: I thought he was a desperation grab that would never produce. He is proving me wrong so far. And he really throws a nice ball. Seems to have a pretty good release, too. I've also been surprised with how thick he is coming right out of HS.

As for the extra score, I wouldn't say it was out of hand. Sure, we were up 31. But you also had to assume that a Top 20 offense would eventually start to move the ball and score a little. That means you couldn't/shouldn't stop expanding the lead. But as I said, for me it was more about the aggressive mindset it displayed. It also said that Mullen may have learned from his mistakes last week in not trusting his offense.

maroonmania
09-22-2013, 09:51 PM

It was good but this has sort of been a common theme under Mullen in that we play MUCH more creatively when we play teams we are supposed to beat while we seem to play ultra conservative when we play teams we aren't supposed to beat. Sometimes it seems we play the tougher teams conservatively to keep the score within reason and save face I guess. At least that's the only explanation that seems to make sense.

archdog
09-23-2013, 08:55 AM
1. Loved seeing Mullen call the timeout with less than 2 minutes in the half to force Troy to punt. Then we immediately march down and score a TD. Seems he definitely got the memo about taking his foot off the gas after last week. The only way to develop killer instinct is to go for the kill when you can. We did that last night.

This wast he telling statement to me. I really do not want to run the score up on a team, but this isn't high school, and going for the throat is something you learn to do in football. Any time you can practice burying the dagger in a game, its a plus. Wish we had that dagger at Auburn.

War Machine Dawg
09-23-2013, 07:40 PM
Second Shameless Bump

TopDog58
09-23-2013, 08:46 PM
It was good but this has sort of been a common theme under Mullen in that we play MUCH more creatively when we play teams we are supposed to beat while we seem to play ultra conservative when we play teams we aren't supposed to beat. Sometimes it seems we play the tougher teams conservatively to keep the score within reason and save face I guess. At least that's the only explanation that seems to make sense.
I agree with this completely. I'm tired of seeing the training wheels on offense. I don't care how green the wide receivers are. If you are in year 5 and starting out the season with a ranked OOC opponent, then it's time to be a big boy. And then to come back again on the road against a team that was on a 10 game SEC losing streak. I don't care if the name on the chest was Auburn, we played like the scared team. That shit has got to stop under Mullen, or he at least needs to stop blowing smoke up the fans asses with the championship talk. Teams that are trying to win in the SEC don't play scared in year 5 of their coach's tenure.