PDA

View Full Version : SEC Officiating

ShotgunDawg
10-01-2017, 09:49 AM
This post has nothing to do with sour grapes or in any way insinuating that better officiating last night would've allowed us to win.

With that preface, the officiating in last night's game was absolutely absurd & unbecoming of the caliber of what the SEC should expect.

The referees in last night's game deserve a week off next week. In this day in age of college football, what happened last night just can't happen.

In about a 2 minute stretch early in last night's game, MSU was robbed of a TD, had about 3 flags picked up that would've gone against Auburn, a pass interference that Auburn committed was missed, & MSU was called for a questionable PI in the end zone. Additionally, then MSU had a TD ruled down at the 1 foot line when there was absolutely no evidence that he didn't score & GET THIS instead of it being marked at the 1 foot line, somehow MSU was snapping the ball from almost the 2 yard line.

Regardless of the final score, any chance MSU had of mounting an upset on the road was absolutely squashed by the officials in this 2 minute period.

In game that don't end up being close, many times these type of officiating problems are swept under the rug & never talked about, but the integrity of the game compromised last night & I think SEC fans deserve better.

After seeing what happened to Texas A&M last weekend & MSU last night, the SEC officiating department needs to take a long look who their officials are, the type of training they are receiving, & how they are training them.

SEC football is way to important to too many people to have an amateur officiating job like last night happen.

I really wish Mullen would accept a fine & call some of these guys out every once in the while. At least show that MSU is tired of it.

https://i.imgur.com/n0yhBw4.jpg

Rick Danko
10-01-2017, 09:53 AM
The blown whistle to stop the play on the fumble recovery was an abomination, and absolutely can be considered a pivotal moment in the game which could have swung momentum into our favor, and it was an embarrassment to the game. That is all

TrapGame
10-01-2017, 09:53 AM
The targeting call was huge. We had a little drive going at that point.

ShotgunDawg
10-01-2017, 09:57 AM
The caliber of officiating last night was an embarrassment to the league.

If it were a Bama game & had gone against Bama, there would be national outrage today. Instead, no one will talk about it.

Again, I don't have sour grapes, but the mechanics & the quality of job the officials did last night was an abortion.

IMissJack
10-01-2017, 10:13 AM
There should be weekly public accountability. If 18 and 19 year old kids can get questioned by national publications about their screwups on the field, a 40 year old man should also.

BrunswickDawg
10-01-2017, 10:27 AM
The left DE for AU (might have actually been a LB) was lining up in the neutral zone anytime he was in a standing stance instead of a 3 point stance. I noticed it at least 4-5 times.

But yes, the officaiting was terrible. I think a lot of what we have seen the past two weeks is that the Refs don't want to take heat in a rowdy atmosphere. We need to start getting aggressive on holding and blanket protection at home.

starkvegasdawg
10-01-2017, 10:37 AM
They ARE doing exactly what they are trained to do...protecting the deemed elite teams so that the conference has the best chance to put as many teams as possible in upper echelon bowls which means more noteriety and money for the conference. You really think Bama would have had any of those holding calls against them if the game had been close last night and the outcome in doubt?

WSOPdawg
10-01-2017, 10:38 AM
Not to mention 10 penalties called against MSU while Auburn had only one (again, only one). Stidham's bomb when Auburn was starting at the 1-yard line showed Simmons being held that was missed (should've been a safety but resulted in another TD).

The home-cooking given Auburn to start the game really placed MSU in a disadvantageous position that dictated how play-call the game plus robbed us of any momentum. I usually don't complain about officiating but this was definitely the worst sh!t-tastic calling I've seen in a long time.

Bothrops
10-01-2017, 11:04 AM
The officials were an embarrassment to the trade. Almost like 66-3 embarrassing. They, like many other things, have turned into a laughing stock.

DownwardDawg
10-01-2017, 11:05 AM
I have never in my life supported the complaining about officials, especially after a loss. It's embarrassing and looks petty. However, that was the worst officiating I've seen in a very long time and it all went against us.

DownwardDawg
10-01-2017, 11:06 AM
The left DE for AU (might have actually been a LB) was lining up in the neutral zone anytime he was in a standing stance instead of a 3 point stance. I noticed it at least 4-5 times.

But yes, the officaiting was terrible. I think a lot of what we have seen the past two weeks is that the Refs don't want to take heat in a rowdy atmosphere. We need to start getting aggressive on holding and blanket protection at home.

He was offsides all night long. It was so obvious.

1bigdawg
10-01-2017, 11:23 AM
This officiating was the worst I have seen in 60 years of watching football. My wife, who really doesn't care about football, even said that she believed they were on the take.

There was no justification for blowing the whistle on the defensive touchdown. That robbed us of momentum.

There was no justification for reversing the targeting call.

There was no justification for reversing the Fitz touchdown. Even though it did not hurt us on the scoreboard, it may have discouraged the players.

There was no way they missed the holding on Stidham's bomb from the end zone. A safety at that point would have been huge for momentum.

That is a lot of key calls at potentially pivotal moments in the game. They probably did not effect the outcome, but it is impossible to say one way or another.

tcdog70
10-01-2017, 11:49 AM
Not to mention 10 penalties called against MSU while Auburn had only one (again, only one). Stidham's bomb when Auburn was starting at the 1-yard line showed Simmons being held that was missed (should've been a safety but resulted in another TD).

The home-cooking given Auburn to start the game really placed MSU in a disadvantageous position that dictated how play-call the game plus robbed us of any momentum. I usually don't complain about officiating but this was definitely the worst sh!t-tastic calling I've seen in a long time.

I was a Ref for 30 years. The one thing you watch for when the offense is backed up and QB is in the end zone is holding. There we 2 blatant holds which should have resulted in a safety. Any Jr High Ref knows not to blow your whistle on a possible strip and run.

Leeshouldveflanked
10-01-2017, 11:57 AM
I'm all for eliminating conference officials....use a P5 pool of officiating crews...

BulldogBear
10-01-2017, 11:59 AM

This. The refs cause a 13 point swing early in the game.

Robbed of TD that only resulted in a FG (4 points)

Holding in endzone should have been ruled a safety (2 points)

Same drive resulted in Auburn TD (7 points)

It was early in game and enough points to change the complexion of both our gameplan and Auburn's. There is no way to know for sure but it could absolutely have cost us the game.

Pollodawg
10-01-2017, 12:03 PM
The officials were pretty lapse, but they didn't cost State the game. Having wideouts who can't catch herpes from a four dollar whore and an offensive line who can't stop crapping all over themselves cost State the game.

ShotgunDawg
10-01-2017, 12:05 PM
The officials were pretty lapse, but they didn't cost State the game. Having wideouts who can't catch herpes from a four dollar whore and an offensive line who can't stop crapping all over themselves cost State the game.

Yup but no one said it cost us the game. Just because it was a blowout should in no way excuse the idiocy that we saw last night.

Mimi's Babies
10-01-2017, 12:19 PM
I have been a dawg fan all my life. But the 44 years I have been going to the games...Last night refs Should NEVER CALL another game in the SEC.

Percho
10-01-2017, 01:53 PM
Auburn did not score on one of their TD's. The runner was sitting on the ground facing the field of play then fell in the end zone,

Commercecomet24
10-01-2017, 05:48 PM
This. The refs cause a 13 point swing early in the game.

Robbed of TD that only resulted in a FG (4 points)

Holding in endzone should have been ruled a safety (2 points)

Same drive resulted in Auburn TD (7 points)

It was early in game and enough points to change the complexion of both our gameplan and Auburn's. There is no way to know for sure but it could absolutely have cost us the game.

Yep if they allow our first td then it's 21-14 when they hold in the end zone in what should've been a safety then it's 21-16 and they have to kick. They absolutely out played us but it could've been much closer and who knows what happens.

RocketDawg
10-01-2017, 06:21 PM
I have been a dawg fan all my life. But the 44 years I have been going to the games...Last night refs Should NEVER CALL another game in the SEC.

They were bad last night, but not as bad as the Mountain West crew that came with Brigam Young when they were in town last.

MSUDAWGFAN
10-01-2017, 06:46 PM
They were bad last night, but not as bad as the Mountain West crew that came with Brigam Young when they were in town last.

Last night I made the comment that I never thought I would say that there was a worse called game than that one, but I think it was last night.

They shouldn't be suspended. They should be banned for life. If they are that inept, they shouldn't be allowed to do it. If they were on the take, that's even worse.

Mimi's Babies
10-01-2017, 06:58 PM

They are own their way back.

Dawg61
10-01-2017, 07:08 PM
The Simmons caused fumble that was swooped up and scored by Sweat is an inexcusably bad call. It was obvious in real time it was a fumble. They never should of blown the whistle and are specifically told to not blow the whistle on plays like that. We should protest that crew. That was a pivotal mistake that just can not happen ever in a game. It was so deflating to Mullen and our team.

Mimi's Babies
10-01-2017, 07:12 PM
You know when a BAMA Fan calls and says the REFS SCREWED UP THE CALLS. It was BAD. #HAILSTATE

RocketDawg
10-01-2017, 07:13 PM
They are own their way back.

Not so sure about that. BYU is Independent now, so we'll probably get a neutral conference set of officials. They were in the Mountain West conference back then.

As far as how last night was relative to the BYU game ... I was at the BYU game and only watched last night on television, so it was a totally different perpespective. But time tends to heal things ... we may have forgotten how bad the BYU game was. Of course, last night we had the magic of digital television, where we could pause, go back, etc. ... just analyze an incident over and over. Regardless, last night was terrible and the SEC office should be able to see it as well.

RocketDawg
10-01-2017, 07:16 PM
Haven't we had some issues with last night's white hat's calling before? I can't really say about the other offcials because they don't really stand out like he does.

Dawg61
10-01-2017, 07:21 PM
Haven't we had some issues with last night's white hat's calling before? I can't really say about the other offcials because they don't really stand out like he does.

He seems to be very bad news for MSU. Can MSU protest somehow? That Simmons caused fumble was so bad it shouldn't get swept under the rug.

Commercecomet24
10-01-2017, 07:21 PM
We will have neutral conference or sec officials for byu. Lsu/Troy had an sec crew last night.

Commercecomet24
10-01-2017, 07:22 PM
He seems to be very bad news for MSU. Can MSU protest somehow? That Simmons caused fumble was so bad it shouldn't get swept under the rug.

It really was a momentum killer. We go from tie game to having to settle for 3.

Mimi's Babies
10-01-2017, 08:07 PM
Not so sure about that. BYU is Independent now, so we'll probably get a neutral conference set of officials. They were in the Mountain West conference back then.

As far as how last night was relative to the BYU game ... I was at the BYU game and only watched last night on television, so it was a totally different perpespective. But time tends to heal things ... we may have forgotten how bad the BYU game was. Of course, last night we had the magic of digital television, where we could pause, go back, etc. ... just analyze an incident over and over. Regardless, last night was terrible and the SEC office should be able to see it as well.

It is amazing how far replay has come. I remember the last BYU feasco. A feasco it was... Hoping never AGAIN. I am too old for bad officiating. The SEC Office must get this mess under control at all cost. At this point I am In Favor of non conference refs for every game.

MarketingBully
10-01-2017, 08:07 PM
The targeting call was huge. We had a little drive going at that point.

Not only that but the correct call was late hit which the exact same thing happened in the Alabama Ole Miss game and Alabama was still awarded the 15 yards for the late hit. That was a late hit on the Auburn guy who btw did launch himself at a defenseless player and could have avoided doing that altogether. What I am confused about is if it?s Targeting how was the official in the Alabama game able to change it to late hit and our crew didn?t. Seems very weird to me.

Mimi's Babies
10-01-2017, 08:10 PM

Someone pointed out on a another thread all the ills of the game that were not called.. I was horrified by the lack of calls against AU. Their day is coming.

Barking 13
10-01-2017, 08:19 PM
For the last two weeks I have witnessed some of the worst holding non calls on the opposing offense, and pass interference brought to a new magnitude on the opposing defense that never gets called... How can an offensive WR bear hug a defender in the end zone and it be PI on the defender? I don't get it.

And the announcers are saying why isn't Simmons being the impact player he is billed as? It's hard to do anything when you have up to three guys holding you.

MarketingBully
10-01-2017, 08:28 PM
For the last two weeks I have witnessed some of the worst holding non calls on the opposing offense, and pass interference brought to a new magnitude on the opposing defense that never gets called... How can an offensive WR bear hug a defender in the end zone and it be PI on the defender? I don't get it.

And the announcers are saying why isn't Simmons being the impact player he is billed as? It's hard to do anything when you have up to three guys holding you.

Exactly. Check this link out.

https://twitter.com/wespitts/status/914259899797917698

Barking 13
10-01-2017, 08:31 PM
and did you see the block in the back where the Auburn guy pushed our guy about three yards?

RocketDawg
10-01-2017, 08:32 PM
It is amazing how far replay has come. I remember the last BYU feasco. A feasco it was... Hoping never AGAIN. I am too old for bad officiating. The SEC Office must get this mess under control at all cost. At this point I am In Favor of non conference refs for every game.

Probably the best answer would be a pool of officials not affiliated with any conference that would do all the Power 5 games. But officiating is not a full time job for any of them, and travel expenses might make such a thing unfeasible, as well as travel distance when they have to work during the week. But then again, college football is a big business so maybe it'd be worth the expense.

Reason2succeed
10-01-2017, 09:36 PM
We would have something to complain about if Stewart Reese hadn't false started 19 times.*

State82
10-01-2017, 09:56 PM
We would have something to complain about if Stewart Reese hadn't false started 19 times.*

Excellent point

Mimi's Babies
10-02-2017, 06:45 AM

Go back and listen to the AU band playing during the play calling. Interesting only hsppened when MSU had the ball.

BulldogBear
10-02-2017, 07:48 AM

So, my natural next question is....how do we find out if a crew is reprimanded, suspended, or otherwise chastised? I'm sure there's a way. I just don't know the answer.

Political Hack
10-02-2017, 08:20 AM
The kid who should've been ejected for a late hit & targeting later had an INT too. It was the worst officiated game I've seen this year, and I've watched a lot of 3rd grade football this year.

MarketingBully
10-02-2017, 08:46 AM
The kid who should've been ejected for a late hit & targeting later had an INT too. It was the worst officiated game I've seen this year, and I've watched a lot of 3rd grade football this year.

Matthews is their best secondary player. Had he been ejected passing would have been a lot easier.

Dawg61
10-02-2017, 08:49 AM
So, my natural next question is....how do we find out if a crew is reprimanded, suspended, or otherwise chastised? I'm sure there's a way. I just don't know the answer.

Ask MSU media and Cohen if they protested that crew and ask them a bunch of times.

msstate7
10-02-2017, 09:01 AM
I have no idea if refs get paid off in real life, but I wonder how closely theyre monitored. Do the sec and other conferences monitor refs financials?

tcdog70
10-02-2017, 09:57 AM
when the QB is in his own endzone the #1 responsibility of the umpire is to watch for holding in the endzone. what in the Hell was he watching? at the time the score was 21-10(should have been 21-14) with a safety and the ball back might have been a different game.--21-16 and the ball.

BrunswickDawg
10-02-2017, 10:04 AM
when the QB is in his own endzone the #1 responsibility of the umpire is to watch for holding in the endzone. what in the Hell was he watching? at the time the score was 21-10(should have been 21-14) with a safety and the ball back might have been a different game.--21-16 and the ball.

And you have to wonder how those holding and PI non-call get in the heads of players. I know if I was being held like Simmons was all night, it would piss me off, but it has to demoralize you to an extent. No matter what you do you get held, and if you retaliate in some way you know you will probably get flagged. It's a lose-lose situation.

TrapGame
10-02-2017, 10:05 AM
Next year I want our band playing extended notes as the center for AU is over the ball until it's snapped.

Mimi's Babies
10-02-2017, 10:07 AM
Next year I want our band playing extended notes as the center for AU is over the ball until it's snapped.

Oh hell no, We will just ring our cowbells the entire game....

Bullmutt
10-02-2017, 03:07 PM
I don't post much but wanted to weigh in here. Don't you guys know by now that the SEC doesn't intend for us to win vs conference contenders. 2014 was an exception, but only because Dak had us coming out hot and not to be denied and the media got aboard early.

Commercecomet24
10-02-2017, 03:10 PM

Yep the TD we didn't get and the non-holding in the end zone would've made for a much closer game and if it gets to 21-16 with us receiving the ball anything can happen. I hate blaming officials, but dang they helped sway the momentum of the game and a much more competitive outcome.

TUSK
10-02-2017, 03:24 PM
I don't post much but wanted to weigh in here. Don't you guys know by now that the SEC doesn't intend for us to win vs conference contenders. 2014 was an exception, but only because Dak had us coming out hot and not to be denied and the media got aboard early.

You bring up an interesting theory. In your opinion, what do think is the chain of command (NCAA, sec, etc), how are the directives to said officials communicated, what are the refs compensation for cheating and how do think conspiracy is employed?

Commercecomet24
10-02-2017, 03:28 PM
You bring up an interesting theory. In your opinion, what do think is the chain of command (NCAA, sec, etc), how are the directives to said officials communicated, what are the refs compensation for cheating and how do think conspiracy is employed?

Through the REC and YMDL**************

TrapGame
10-02-2017, 03:36 PM

Buffalo Wild Wings****

(Those bastards control everything!)

TUSK
10-02-2017, 03:43 PM
I think it's prolly some combination of: MMDL (he is an alien reptile, you know), The REC (doin' werk), The Illuminati, The NWO, and The Federal Reserve...

Commercecomet24
10-02-2017, 03:46 PM
I think it's prolly some combination of: MMDL (he is an alien reptile, you know), The REC (doin' werk), The Illuminati, The NWO, and The Federal Reserve...

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to TUSK again.

Dawg61
10-02-2017, 03:51 PM
Oh hell no, We will just ring our cowbells the entire game....

Auburn isn't worth losing our cowbells forever over. However I do propose we put on a Lil Jon concert during all over their offensive series.

BrunswickDawg
10-02-2017, 03:53 PM

You leave Scott Hall and Kevin Nash out of this!

TUSK
10-02-2017, 03:59 PM
You leave Scott Hall and Kevin Nash out of this!

I was wonderin' if that association was gonna be made... nice!

Barking 13
10-03-2017, 10:05 AM
I was wonderin' if that association was gonna be made... nice!
Wolfpack....

sleepy dawg
10-03-2017, 10:29 AM
SEC officiating is the worst in the country, and not just in football, but basketball too, and other refs know this too. CUSA, MW, Sunbelt, etc., all have better officials. Basketball has started making changes to correct this, but I'm not sure football is doing anything or cares to.