PDA

View Full Version : Want better coaching, pony up like Bama... 1 Million for their OLB coach

Coach007
09-30-2017, 11:00 PM
Ok ok ok.... He ONLY makes 950K per year as the OLB coach!

The point of this thread is that you all stop with the money at the top. You don't work your way down the line to all of the coaches. The last time I looked this up, we paid our assistant coaches well enough to rank MSU at #11 in the SEC. BTW... Bama is spending about 18 Million per year on coaches. They pay their assistants more than our entire staff.

Are we getting our money's worth? You bet! But if you want that elite status.... pony up.

http://www.businessinsider.com/alabama-football-coaches-salaries-2017-2017-5

Todd4State
09-30-2017, 11:13 PM
I'm fine paying assistant coaches a good salary. We just spent a million on Grantham.

ShotgunDawg
09-30-2017, 11:14 PM
How would paying them more help?

Wouldn't Bama just pay them more?

dawgday166
09-30-2017, 11:15 PM
I'm fine paying assistant coaches a good salary. We just spent a million on Grantham.

I am too. Only problem is Hev & Gonzo would then be making 1 mill/year.

Liverpooldawg
09-30-2017, 11:16 PM

To channel Yoda: sanity this is............... unfortunately.

Todd4State
09-30-2017, 11:21 PM
I am too. Only problem is Hev & Gonzo would then be making 1 mill/year.

Exactly. It would basically be a market adjustment.

I probably should have said I don't mind paying well for GOOD assistant coaches.

Coach007
09-30-2017, 11:25 PM

Bama pays their whole assistant staff more than our WHOLE staff.

HoopsDawg
09-30-2017, 11:28 PM
Bama pays their whole assistant staff more than our WHOLE staff.

I don't get it. You said we were going to the playoffs. Now you want our coaches to make more?

Coach007
09-30-2017, 11:28 PM

Eventually. But, that puts us in better shape to hire better coaches at the assistant/position level.

Coach007
09-30-2017, 11:31 PM
I don't get it. You said we were going to the playoffs. Now you want our coaches to make more?

Where did I say that? Please show me. Saying competing for a spot and going to is 2 entirely different thing and that has zero to do with it being a yearly contender.

ShotgunDawg
09-30-2017, 11:35 PM
Eventually. But, that puts us in better shape to hire better coaches at the assistant/position level.

Idk, I just think it would mean Bama and other blue bloods would just pay more and we'd end up adjusting a market and having the same assistants we do now while paying them more

Dawg61
09-30-2017, 11:50 PM
Yawn. Just say what you really mean Coach. You are very happy with our football program and you want everyone to stop bitching cause you're afraid Dan might leave. If we pay any assistants anymore money it needs to come outta Dan's fat check not from MSU. Dan has no business getting $4.8 mill right now. I know it's just market value but market value is ****ed when you get 5 mill to be the worst coach ever vs ranked teams. I could recruit on a bicycle only and get us a better WR group than we trotting out there right now.

Coach007
09-30-2017, 11:52 PM
Idk, I just think it would mean Bama and other blue bloods would just pay more and we'd end up adjusting a market and having the same assistants we do now while paying them more

Well, there are schools that have done it. Take Clemson for the example. They made the choice to go all in. In '81 their coach made 50K and they won a National Championship. That's not the world we live in, though I wish we did.

In 2011, Dabo made about a milllion. He is now in the top 4.....

Coach007
09-30-2017, 11:54 PM
Yawn. Just say what you really mean Coach. You are very happy with our football program and you want everyone to stop bitching cause you're afraid Dan might leave. If we pay any assistants anymore money it needs to come outta Dan's fat check not from MSU. Dan has no business getting $4.8 mill right now. I know it's just market value but market value is ****ed when you get 5 mill to be the worst coach ever vs ranked teams. I could recruit on a bicycle only and get us a better WR group than we trotting out there right now.

I did say what I meant. I always do.

And no. You couldn't

MetEdDawg
10-01-2017, 04:53 AM
Hold on. So the thought is we shouldn't pay coaches more because it will raise the market on paying coaches? You have a warped view of how impactful our program is. We are like second lowest in assistant salary in the SEC. You get what you pay for.

Grantham is getting paid market value. Mullen is too. No one else is. We have to pay more for better assistants period. And the Mullen offensive team needs to be broken up. Gonzo hasn't been the same since he finished 2nd for the Colorado State job. Hevesy does well with that OL. But when you turn a below average group into a mildly average group, that isn't exactly resume building. Knox is ok but I think we need new blood. Looney needs time. I'm fine with him but the TE group has to get better. They blocked a lot of air tonight.

Dawg61
10-01-2017, 06:55 AM
And no. You couldn't

Pay me $4.8 mill a year and I'll show you. Don't ask to get the assistants paid more money when we just got our asses waxed by a combined score of 80-13 last two weeks.

MrKotter
10-01-2017, 06:59 AM

Stop being a dumbass. You know what he means.

Dawgface
10-01-2017, 07:45 AM
Where did I say that? Please show me. Saying competing for a spot and going to is 2 entirely different thing
and that has zero to do with it being a yearly contender.

True, but saying we are competing for a spot implies we are close. We are no closer to making the playoffs than the rest of the bottom dwellers of the SEC.

Leeshouldveflanked
10-01-2017, 08:15 AM
Hevesy and Gonzales aren't worth $50,000 each.... Mullen could easily upgrade on those two in the $400 -$500 range.

Coach007
10-01-2017, 09:08 AM
Hevesy and Gonzales aren't worth $50,000 each.... Mullen could easily upgrade on those two in the $400 -$500 range.

Not really... Let's look at those: This is 2 years ago... I'm too lazy to find current info.

1. Adrian Klemm UCLA $723,000
2. Rick Trickett Florida State $592,000
3. Joe Wickline Texas $575,000

Which one of those could we ask to take a pay cut? FSU is paying at the second highest rate in the USA and that OL was owned by Bama.

Coach34
10-01-2017, 09:35 AM
Hold on. So the thought is we shouldn't pay coaches more because it will raise the market on paying coaches? You have a warped view of how impactful our program is. We are like second lowest in assistant salary in the SEC. You get what you pay for.

Grantham is getting paid market value. Mullen is too. No one else is. We have to pay more for better assistants period. And the Mullen offensive team needs to be broken up. Gonzo hasn't been the same since he finished 2nd for the Colorado State job. Hevesy does well with that OL. But when you turn a below average group into a mildly average group, that isn't exactly resume building. Knox is ok but I think we need new blood. Looney needs time. I'm fine with him but the TE group has to get better. They blocked a lot of air tonight.

Our salaries arent where they need to be for assistants, but part of that total is skewed because we dont employ an OC. We are saving that 750K-1 million because Mullen is the OC. Hev and Gonzo make 500K

Larger salaries aren't the problem though. It's evaluation, recruiting staff, and their recruiting module. Saban and Kirby have larger recruiting staffs and departments because they demanded them. They cater to NFL scouts and make them extra welcome at Bama and Georgia. Their whole recruiting department is like Chik-Fil-A compared to our B-Quick chicken and tater logs. They put millions more toward it than we do. The question- is it because Mullen doesnt have the desire or ideas to set something comparable up? Or do we not have the money to pump into it? Bama and Georgia recruits are given a path to the draft prospectus and all kinds of things. It's next level stuff.

I seen it dawg
10-01-2017, 09:50 AM
Our salaries arent where they need to be for assistants, but part of that total is skewed because we dont employ an OC. We are saving that 750K-1 million because Mullen is the OC. Hev and Gonzo make 500K

Larger salaries aren't the problem though. It's evaluation, recruiting staff, and their recruiting module. Saban and Kirby have larger recruiting staffs and departments because they demanded them. They cater to NFL scouts and make them extra welcome at Bama and Georgia. Their whole recruiting department is like Chik-Fil-A compared to our B-Quick chicken and tater logs. They put millions more toward it than we do. The question- is it because Mullen doesnt have the desire or ideas to set something comparable up? Or do we not have the money to pump into it? Bama and Georgia recruits are given a path to the draft prospectus and all kinds of things. It's next level stuff.

Yep. Once again we won't do shit like that.

We won't get rid of Hevesy, gonzo, and Knox and until that happens it's rinse wash repeat.

IMissJack
10-01-2017, 09:55 AM
Not always the X's and O's, it's the Jimmy's and Joe's. Let Hev coach Bama's front five and he would look like a great coach.

Coach007
10-01-2017, 04:52 PM

Yeah, but every now and some of those B-quick tator logs and chicken is damn good.

Todd4State
10-01-2017, 05:06 PM
Not always the X's and O's, it's the Jimmy's and Joe's. Let Hev coach Bama's front five and he would look like a great coach.

Yeah but good luck to him with Saban after he lands one high school o-lineman. I know who would win that biggest asshole contest- and it wouldn't be Hev.

Leroy Jenkins
10-01-2017, 05:44 PM
Hev and Gonzalez are here because Dan wants them, not because we can’t afford better. It’s not a money issue.

Gutter Cobreh
10-01-2017, 07:17 PM
Some of you homers sound like a bunch of politicians trying to solve why public education is failing or fixing the entiltement mentality - throwing money at the problem won't solve the problem...

LSU pays an obscene amount for assistant coaches and they just got beat by Troy. I'll hang up and wait for a rebuttal.

The quicker we can stop comparing ourselves to Bama, the better off we'll be.

IMissJack
10-01-2017, 07:26 PM
Some of you homers sound like a bunch of politicians trying to solve why public education is failing or fixing the entiltement mentality - throwing money at the problem won't solve the problem...

LSU pays an obscene amount for assistant coaches and they just got beat by Troy. I'll hang up and wait for a rebuttal.

Yep, if we would just pay public school teachers all $100K, schools in MS would be wonderful. Nope. Not saying they could not make more, but
if you did this you would be paying some terrible teachers a lot of money for nothing, while also paying some good ones. Same for coaching, reward after they do something good.

dawgday166
10-01-2017, 07:32 PM

Bingo. While we could recruit better on OL & WR for sure, to me working harder on game planning and team motivation would help a lot too.

We just had 2 teams with, at least in Ga's case, far superior talent and they both came in and ran trick plays to jump all over us and take the momentum. We never recovered in either case.

Ask yourself why? They have far superior talent but yet they felt they needed to jump all over us as opposed to playing a straight up, wear you down with our superior talent, type of game. Not only that, they were very emotionally up for the game against us. We weren't, especially against Ga.

We gonna start out cautious, try not to make mistakes, and hope our D keeps us in the game. Typical Dan game plan against a superior opponent. And on D we have a bunch of 4* players.

was21
10-01-2017, 08:17 PM
how many off field analysts does bammer have? how many do we have? talking about film room analyst and all