PDA

View Full Version : Some of you need a little verbal Xanax so here's a dose:

Lloyd Christmas
09-30-2017, 10:33 PM
Let's get the bad news out of the way first.

The past few weeks have sucked harder than an industrial grade hum-vac. Our O-line is a shit sundae, served courtesy of Hevesy's Sweet Treats Ice Cream Parlor. Our wide receivers are apparently testing a new type of lube that KY believes will revolutionize coitus. Our secondary is probably still on the field, falling over themselves and running around in circles.

Now the good news:

We were beaten by two very good top ten teams (both on the road) in back to back weekends. It doesn't excuse our performance, but it sure is relevant. We have a bye and BYU is the perfect game for us to get some confidence back. Our ceiling is 9-3. Our basement is 6-6. We'll probably go 7-5 or 8-4...an improvement over last year and better than many thought we'd do before the season began. We will get almost everyone back next year and should be getting some good new additions from the 2018 recruiting class.

Finally, I think Hevesy is (at long last) going to get the boot after the season's over. Why? Well first - I think Cohen has the balls to confront Mullen on this, unlike our previous AD. Second, we've seen Cohen exert influence on the team staff already in his first offseason as AD (Grantham).

In conclusion: Take a deep breath, slug back a drink, ask your significant other for a pity BJ, get a good nights sleep and take the next two weeks to relax and recalibrate. Hail State

BuckyIsAB****
09-30-2017, 10:35 PM

The past few weeks have sucked harder than an industrial grade hum-vac. Our O-line is a shit sundae, served courtesy of Hevesy's Sweet Treats Ice Cream Parlor. Our wide receivers are apparently testing a new type of lube that KY believes will revolutionize coitus. Our secondary is probably still on the field, falling over themselves and running around in circles.

Now the good news:

We were beaten by two very good top ten teams (both on the road) in back to back weekends. It doesn't excuse our performance, but it sure is relevant. We have a bye and BYU is the perfect game for us to get some confidence back. Our ceiling is 9-3. Our basement is 6-6. We'll probably go 7-5 or 8-4...an improvement over last year and better than many thought we'd do before the season began. We will get almost everyone back next year and should be getting some good new additions from the 2018 recruiting class.

Finally, I think Hevesy is (at long last) going to get the boot after the season's. Why? Well first - I think Cohen has the balls to confront Mullen on this, unlike our previous AD. Second, we've seen Cohen exert influence on the team staff already in his first offseason as AD (Grantham).

In conclusion: Take a deep breath, slug back a drink, ask your significant other for a pity BJ, get a good nights sleep and take the next two weeks to relax and recalibrate. Hail State

The OL has been improved this year. We are running the football well enough. Mullen has to commit to the running game and put his ''QB whisperer'' ego aside

Commercecomet24
09-30-2017, 10:39 PM
The OL has been improved this year. We are running the football well enough. Mullen has to commit to the running game and put his ''QB whisperer'' ego aside

This is the correct answer. These last 2 have not been on the ol.

MarketingBully
09-30-2017, 10:39 PM

Now the good news:

Finally, I think Hevesy is (at long last) going to get the boot after the season's over. Why? Well first - I think Cohen has the balls to confront Mullen on this, unlike our previous AD. Second, we've seen Cohen exert influence on the team staff already in his first offseason as AD (Grantham).

This is actually a really good post. Well done!

ShotgunDawg
09-30-2017, 10:42 PM
ask your significant other for a pity BJ,

What if she says, "Yuck, No"?

Huh, WTF do I do then?

BuckyIsAB****
09-30-2017, 10:43 PM

Huh, WTF do I do then?

Continue to bitch and moan on ED of course

Lloyd Christmas
09-30-2017, 10:46 PM

Huh, WTF do I do then?

It depends, how flexible are you?

msstatelp1
09-30-2017, 10:49 PM

Now the good news:

Who gave you the right to be reasonable and logical when all our ex-spurts are melting down******

BrunswickDawg
09-30-2017, 10:51 PM

Y'all know I'm a Fitz homer -

But what we have seen the past 2 weeks is the difference between someone living off pure athletic ability versus us having a honed, natural QB. The fact that Fitz has been able to do anything productive in his 17 games as our QB is a testament to how incredible athletes can will themselves to be able to things most of us can only dream of. But, Fitz is years behind others as a true QB due to his lack of playing it for many years like most QBs at this level have. He is what he is. Is he good enough to get us through to 8-4 or 9-3 with our schedule? Probably. But against elite defenses, at this time, he is overmatched.

Cooterpoot
09-30-2017, 10:57 PM

LOL. That line sucks ass.

ShotgunDawg
Y'all know I'm a Fitz homer - .

https://zippy.gfycat.com/CourageousPoisedFrogmouth.gif

1bigdawg
This is the correct answer. These last 2 have not been on the ol.

I missed the game you were watching. Our ol has looked better in the 4th qtr against walk ons.

Lloyd Christmas
09-30-2017, 11:00 PM
The OL has been improved this year.

What strain are you getting from your dealer? Is it a hybrid?

BrunswickDawg
09-30-2017, 11:02 PM
https://zippy.gfycat.com/CourageousPoisedFrogmouth.gif

In the end, Vaughan got the K when it mattered...

Todd4State
09-30-2017, 11:10 PM

We had at least SEVEN false starts. Yeah- they don't give up a lot of sacks. But a lot of that is because as soon as Fitz gets someone in his face he chunks it. They look "good" against lesser teams but against legit top 25 teams they have been terrible. And then there was Charleston Southern where we snapped the ball at Fitz's ankles the entire game.

NCDawg
LOL. That line sucks ass.

Agree. Even the announcers said we were lacking ability on the OL. They said put Fitz behind Auburn's OL and he would be really good.

Todd4State

Now the good news:

Merry Lloyd Christmas. Great post.

Liverpooldawg
09-30-2017, 11:36 PM
To me the bottom line is obvious, UGA and AU recruit better than we do. There are basically only two ways to address this. It sucks but it is what it is. Ole Miss chose the quick route. We have historically sucked at that one. History also shows unless you are a true blue blood you ain't gonna get away with it. The other way is long. You have to build a base slowly where it doesn't look out of place when you start landing the people you need to really win. It sucks but it is what it is. I think that's the road we are on. Patience Grasshoppers.

BayouDawg
09-30-2017, 11:45 PM
To me the bottom line is obvious, UGA and AU recruit better than we do. There are basically only two ways to address this. It sucks but it is what it is. Ole Miss chose the quick route. We have historically sucked at that one. History also shows unless you are a true blue blood you ain't gonna get away with it. The other way is long. You have to build a base slowly where it doesn't look out of place when you start landing the people you need to really win. It sucks but it is what it is. I think that's the road we are on. Patience Grasshoppers.
I actually agree with you on this in theory. However, our talent level at wr should not have regressed so much over the last few years. The same can be said for defensive backs. We may not can land blue chips at every position but we are capable of getting sec caliber players. We currently have a swac caliber receiving corps.
On the bright side recruiting does seem to be trending up. I just hate that we were seemingly asleep at the wheel for a few recruiting cycles.

Todd4State
09-30-2017, 11:47 PM

Our problem is we have a couple of weak links on our staff in recruiting and we can not afford to have that. THAT'S the problem.

QB- Key ****
RB- Hill ****
RB- Gibson ****
WR- Heath **** UA AA
WR- Guidry ****
ATH- Dear **** Army AA
LT- Kwatrivious Johnson **** UA AA
DE- Fletcher Adams **** Semper Fi AA
DE- Kobe Jones ****
DT- Simmons ***** Army AA
DE- Rivers ****
DE/DT- Charles Moore **** 2019
OLB- Green ****
MLB- Lewis **** UA AA, coveted enough to destroy Ole Miss football program single handedly
MLB- Gay **** Army AA
ATH- Diwun Black **** UA AA 2019
OLB- Marquiss Spencer ****
S/RB/ATH- Marcus Murphy ****
S- Morgan-Walker Semper Fi AA
K- McPherson- UA AA
P- Tucker Day- Army AA

That's our four-five star recruits for 2017-2019 thus far. It's pretty obvious to see where the weak links are.

Reason2succeed
09-30-2017, 11:51 PM
Fitz to WR!!! Get KT in there next year.* But seriously Fitz lack of accuracy is hurting. Imagine the trick plays if 6-5 Fitz is a WR.

Liverpooldawg
09-30-2017, 11:51 PM
I actually agree with you on this in theory. However, our talent level at wr should not have regressed so much over the last few years. The same can be said for defensive backs. We may not can land blue chips at every position but we are capable of getting sec caliber players. We currently have a swac caliber receiving corps.
On the bright side recruiting does seem to be trending up. I just hate that we were seemingly asleep at the wheel for a few recruiting cycles.
It will never be a straight upward trajectory. That atracts attention. The key is not how high the highs are. It's how low the lows are,

Reason2succeed
09-30-2017, 11:52 PM
Our problem is we have a couple of weak links on our staff in recruiting and we can not afford to have that. THAT'S the problem.

QB- Key ****
RB- Hill ****
RB- Gibson ****
WR- Heath **** UA AA
WR- Guidry ****
ATH- Dear **** Army AA
DE- Kobe Jones ****
DE- Rivers ****
OLB- Green ****
MLB- Lewis **** UA AA, coveted enough to destroy Ole Miss football program single handedly
MLB- Gay **** Army AA
K- McPherson- UA AA
P- Tucker Day- Army AA

That's our four-five star recruits for 2017-2019 thus far. It's pretty obvious to see where the weak links are.

You forgot the OL.***

Todd4State
09-30-2017, 11:56 PM

Exactly. It absolutely blows my mind that we didn't recruit anyone that was at least Jamal Couch/Reggie Todd caliber 3-4 years ago so we're basically left with- slot WR's, a 280 pound TE, and some young freshmen/sophomore outside WR's that aren't quite there yet. When I said something about it at least two years ago I got.... "I don't think it's a big deal because we have Bear Wilson for another year", "Donald Gray can play outside WR, he's never played slot WR in his life."

If you are a "developmental program"- the goal should be to have juniors and seniors at pretty much every position unless you happen to land a Jeffrey Simmons that can come in and play right away. Especially by year nine.

That's what I am talking about when I am referring to poor roster management. I mean, if Joe fan me can see that we have an issue or a potential issue 2-3 years out then I expect Dan Mullen and his staff to notice it as well. And do something about it other than blow smoke up my ass with coachspeak. It's even less excusable with the JUCO system we have to get players that can come in and duct tape things together if necessary.

Skydawg1
10-01-2017, 12:00 AM
Patience Grasshoppers.This is year 9 and we were #1 in the nation 3 years ago.

ShotgunDawg
10-01-2017, 12:31 AM

QB- Key ****
RB- Hill ****
RB- Gibson ****
WR- Heath **** UA AA
WR- Guidry ****
ATH- Dear **** Army AA
DE- Kobe Jones ****
DE- Rivers ****
OLB- Green ****
MLB- Gay **** Army AA
K- McPherson- UA AA
P- Tucker Day- Army AA

Bama has 80 4 & 5 star recruits.

Auburn and UGA have around 50

Todd4State
10-01-2017, 12:48 AM

If we recruit the 2019 class like I hope we do- I'm optimistic that we can get around 30-40. I'm also hopeful that we land a couple of more four star guys in this class.

At any rate- your point underscores why we can't afford to have any holes at any position groups. Because we're only going to be able to go to battle with basically one line of equal caliber athletes versus the blue bloods. It's also why we need to make sure our S&C is top notch as well.

MetEdDawg
10-01-2017, 04:20 AM
Some are hammering Fitz and I don't think he's the issue. When was the last time he got to step into a throw? He throws off his back foot a lot just so he can get the pass off.

Worst part is it looks engrained now. He will do it even when he's not getting pressured. My guess is this OL has generated some of the bad habits we see out of Fitz

gravedigger
10-01-2017, 06:29 AM
Some are hammering Fitz and I don't think he's the issue. When was the last time he got to step into a throw? He throws off his back foot a lot just so he can get the pass off.

Worst part is it looks engrained now. He will do it even when he's not getting pressured. My guess is this OL has generated some of the bad habits we see out of Fitz

That is because some genius has determined that when your line is weak, getting to a third check down receiver who can?t get separation is a good strategy.

It does work if the opponent sucks.

Dawgface
10-01-2017, 06:41 AM

My patience has run out. Wake me up when we are there. Although that we might be hard to do as I will more than likely be 6 feet under.

msstate7
10-01-2017, 07:32 AM
Agree. Even the announcers said we were lacking ability on the OL. They said put Fitz behind Auburn's OL and he would be really good.

To be fair, ND has ran for like 500 yards a game or something vs everyone, but Georgia. Auburn?s defense shut down Clemson. We?ve faced 2 of the best 5 defenses in the country the last 2 weeks. We have the best defense in the country left on the schedule, but other that them, no one is even in the same universe as auburn and Georgia. We?ll run and score a lot, save 1 game

Maroonthirteen
10-01-2017, 08:10 AM
To be fair, ND has ran for like 500 yards a game or something vs everyone, but Georgia. Auburn?s defense shut down Clemson. We?ve faced 2 of the best 5 defenses in the country the last 2 weeks. We have the best defense in the country left on the schedule, but other that them, no one is even in the same universe as auburn and Georgia. We?ll run and score a lot, save 1 game

This. Offensively we will perform better in October. The only way we don't win 7 games this year is if the secondary can't figure things out.

Mimi's Babies
10-01-2017, 08:11 AM

We must also remember that we have had to recruit behind the ole pissers, money laundering, bribery, scandals, etc. Recruiting should go our way. If not then TIME to remove the dead weight.

Mimi's Babies
10-01-2017, 08:16 AM

Auburn and UGA have around 50. How many does OM have ? One in that list will join MSU in January.

Randolph Dupree
10-01-2017, 08:19 AM
We must also remember that we have had to recruit behind the ole pissers, money laundering, bribery, scandals, etc. Recruiting should go our way. If not then TIME to remove the dead weight.

Bingo. There's no good way to measure its impact but no doubt it set us back.

Bully13
10-01-2017, 08:33 AM

solid , truthful and factual post liver. I think a lot of us don't appreciate the up hill battle our coaches have on the recruiting battle lines. I think we've got a good head coach whose doing a good job based on what he's got to work with.

I've also seen enough posts from people who apparently have enough inside info to have me believe Hevesy is preventing us from getting quality OL croots. that's the head scratcher for me regarding Mullen keeping him for so long. starting to look like a croom / mcorviesh situation. I hope Cohen does what Lloyd thinks he will regarding Hevesy. maybe that would take a little heat off Mullen and make it easier to fire his buddy.

so let's let this thing play out as someone rightfully suggested (Lloyd, solid post). I was fired up after the LSU whipping but now we know they are not that good either. Look at A&M, UF, Tenn, Texas and all those mediocre UGA seasons prior to this one. There are other examples too which tells me Mullen is doing a good job with what he has. bringing up all these "ranked showdown" stats is futile and doesn't come close to telling the complete story. We just need to do as good a job with OL, secondary & WR crooting as we've been doing with the RB's, QB's and DL, LB's, etc....

Bucky Dog
10-01-2017, 08:40 AM

Shotgun, we are NEVER, EVER going to beat the top 5 or 6 SEC schools consistently in recruiting rankings. Now with what is going on in Oxford, do we have a chance to, and are we already starting to land a few more of the four stars and improving our rankings to be in the top 20 or so consistently? Absolutely!

To say we don't have the talent to match up with GA, Auburn, Bama or others, is redundant and obvious. We will never be able to get any recruit away from those elite teams if they really want that guy, in most cases. Again, we did get waxed on the road to two top 5 teams and we should have been more competitive, but many other teams, Tennessee at home to GA, are going to be beaten the same way by these two.

When Dan says we are young, I don't think he is making excuses, but it is a fact, and yes that is on him for not managing personnel better but let's focus on winning 7-9 games this year, staying positive and sign a solid class this year with a good chance to make a run next year and beyond.

1bigdawg
10-01-2017, 10:59 AM
Shotgun, we are NEVER, EVER going to beat the top 5 or 6 SEC schools consistently in recruiting rankings. Now with what is going on in Oxford, do we have a chance to, and are we already starting to land a few more of the four stars and improving our rankings to be in the top 20 or so consistently? Absolutely!

To say we don't have the talent to match up with GA, Auburn, Bama or others, is redundant and obvious. We will never be able to get any recruit away from those elite teams if they really want that guy, in most cases. Again, we did get waxed on the road to two top 5 teams and we should have been more competitive, but many other teams, Tennessee at home to GA, are going to be beaten the same way by these two.

When Dan says we are young, I don't think he is making excuses, but it is a fact, and yes that is on him for not managing personnel better but let's focus on winning 7-9 games this year, staying positive and sign a solid class this year with a good chance to make a run next year and beyond.

You are right in saying that we will never beat the elite programs for out of state recruits on a consistent basis. That means we have to be a developmental program. If we truly were one, we would have a bunch of experienced senior starters....

NCDawg
10-01-2017, 11:20 AM
solid , truthful and factual post liver. I think a lot of us don't appreciate the up hill battle our coaches have on the recruiting battle lines. I think we've got a good head coach whose doing a good job based on what he's got to work with.

I've also seen enough posts from people who apparently have enough inside info to have me believe Hevesy is preventing us from getting quality OL croots. that's the head scratcher for me regarding Mullen keeping him for so long. starting to look like a croom / mcorviesh situation. I hope Cohen does what Lloyd thinks he will regarding Hevesy. maybe that would take a little heat off Mullen and make it easier to fire his buddy.

so let's let this thing play out as someone rightfully suggested (Lloyd, solid post). I was fired up after the LSU whipping but now we know they are not that good either. Look at A&M, UF, Tenn, Texas and all those mediocre UGA seasons prior to this one. There are other examples too which tells me Mullen is doing a good job with what he has. bringing up all these "ranked showdown" stats is futile and doesn't come close to telling the complete story. We just need to do as good a job with OL, secondary & WR crooting as we've been doing with the RB's, QB's and DL, LB's, etc....

I have serious doubts whether Cohen will force Mullen to terminate or transfer Hevesy. Mullen obviously thinks Hevesy is doing a good job since he's kept him on so long. Starting to "look like a Croom/Mcorviesh situation'? No doubt it has been that for quite a while, otherwise, he would have been gone several seasons ago based on the poor performances of our OL. About the only position where it appears we are now pretty solid is our FG kicker, which is a surprise. I was very disappointed on our LB play last night. On Auburn's first long run, their guy ran right between Lewis and Harris-neither one made an effort to tackle him. I have noticed that neither has played well these past 2 games, especially Lewis.

Mimi's Babies
10-01-2017, 12:36 PM
Are there issues inside the team that need to be dealt with?

WSOPdawg
10-01-2017, 12:39 PM
It depends, how flexible are you?

Buahahahahahaha... that deserves some Rep... and hope that Shotgun doesn't answer!

Lloyd Christmas
10-02-2017, 03:48 PM
Buahahahahahaha... that deserves some Rep... and hope that Shotgun doesn't answer!

He needs one..worried about his psyche if he doesn’t realease some frustration