PDA

View Full Version : This is OUR Coach

ShotgunDawg
09-30-2017, 09:16 PM
http://forums.sixpackspeak.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=8097&d=1506823699&thumb=1

Great post from another board:

Tomorrow I'll look on here and see our fans crowing about Bama beating the brakes off Ole Miss. Mullen, Hevesy & Grantham just got pantsed on national tv for the second straight week and we're worried about OM and throwing around excuses like, "Well they are top 10 teams." That's got to be the dumbest excuse I've ever heard. This is the conference we play in. If we can't at least show a pulse versus the big boys, then let's do everyone a favor and jump on over to CUSA tomorrow.

OM's NCAA reckoning, if it ever comes, has this board completely distracted from the fact we are further from competing tonight than we were 3 years ago. We show no backbone and it's pathetic. I'm done melting now. Good night.

maroonmania
09-30-2017, 09:20 PM
We need to quit scheduling ranked teams. That's the problem.***

IMissJack
09-30-2017, 09:26 PM
The bigger issue to me is how many times we were not competitive in those games.

Coach007
09-30-2017, 09:27 PM
http://forums.sixpackspeak.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=8097&d=1506823699&thumb=1

Tomorrow I'll look on here and see our fans crowing about Bama beating the brakes off Ole Miss. Mullen, Hevesy & Grantham just got pantsed on national tv for the second straight week and we're worried about OM and throwing around excuses like, "Well they are top 10 teams." That's got to be the dumbest excuse I've ever heard. This is the conference we play in. If we can't at least show a pulse versus the big boys, then let's do everyone a favor and jump on over to CUSA tomorrow.

OM's NCAA reckoning, if it ever comes, has this board completely distracted from the fact we are further from competing tonight than we were 3 years ago. We show no backbone and it's pathetic. I'm done melting now. Good night.

He is our coach. And I'm happy about that.

Next thread....

Skydawg1
09-30-2017, 09:28 PM

The guy on the bottom died today.

Commercecomet24
09-30-2017, 09:30 PM
Shotgun you need a woman

Dawgface

Next thread....

Let's give him a raise!

ShotgunDawg
The bigger issue to me is how many times we were not competitive in those games.

Agree

Todd4State
09-30-2017, 09:31 PM

Next thread....

Not talking as much shit about people who noted his flaws I see?

ShotgunDawg
09-30-2017, 09:31 PM
Shotgun you need a woman

Agree

bulldawg28
09-30-2017, 09:32 PM

Next thread....

Exactly. Dan is the STILL the Man.

Liverpooldawg
09-30-2017, 09:32 PM

We beat three ranked teams in a row in 2014, and we beat one this year. You are using end of year stats. Obviously if we beat them their chances of being ranked at the end of the year aren't is good as they would be if they beat us.

msstate7
09-30-2017, 09:33 PM
Shotgun you need a woman

Haha... +1

Commercecomet24
09-30-2017, 09:33 PM
Agree

Messing with you dude. We gonna be ok when we get out of the NFL portion of our schedule.

Commercecomet24
09-30-2017, 09:35 PM
We beat three ranked teams in a row in 2014, and we beat one this year. You are using end of year stats. Obviously if we beat them their chances of being ranked at the end of the year aren't is good as they would be if they beat us.

We are 5-10 vs ranked teams since 2014.

Maroonthirteen
09-30-2017, 09:35 PM
I don't know why but....that's funny. I guess because the list is shorter. You mentioned it.... Not because Tiller died. Maybe to many mich ultras.

Liverpooldawg
09-30-2017, 09:36 PM

So do you want to fire Mullen or not? If you do then come out and say so straight up and why. If you don't then you need to give it a rest. To me building a program doesn't have much to do with the highs. It's all about the lows. The lows are better under Mullen than they have ever been.

ScoobaDawg
09-30-2017, 09:37 PM
Exactly. Dan is the STILL the Man.

Yep. He IS THE MAN (unless you are a top 25 coach)

NCDawg
09-30-2017, 09:39 PM

I agree with this. You can lose a game, but when you just get the crap beat out of you and are not even competitive with the other team, something is seriously wrong.

Coach007
09-30-2017, 09:40 PM
We need to note that under Dan, we were ranked #1 for 5 weeks straight..... with a team full of rejects that most did not recruit.

But, that doesn't push the narrative needed.

Activated Alpha
09-30-2017, 09:43 PM
Could Mullen do better if he surrounded himself with better assistants and coaches?

dawgday166
09-30-2017, 09:43 PM
OM has the talent to beat Bama, and we're gonna win the West next year *********************************

Coach007
09-30-2017, 09:47 PM
Could Mullen do better if he surrounded himself with better assistants and coaches?

Those assistants have to be paid. That's the issue.

Liverpooldawg
09-30-2017, 09:51 PM
We need to note that under Dan, we were ranked #1 for 5 weeks straight..... with a team full of rejects that most did not recruit.

Yep, the narrative is the same one that said all we needed to do to improve on a 20 win season in basketball was fire Stans. It's been six years. It's the same narrative that fired Allyn McKeen. It's been 70 years. I'd like to try something different than bitching till the coach is fired. It seems on here that SOS (Same Old State) rules.

Leeshouldveflanked
09-30-2017, 09:53 PM
2014 was fools gold...LSU, A&M and Auburn turned out to not be that good....

dawgday166
09-30-2017, 09:53 PM
Doesn't matter if Dan is at LSU, he ain't winning the West. He gonna crap the bed at least 2 times a year. He simply doesn't understand the psychological aspects to motivating teams week in week out. His standard pre-game speech is "Go out there, execute at a high level, and dominate this game". It works every time ******

Saban does understand that there is a psychological aspect to the game. That's why he flew in the lone survivor guy the weekend of our game with them in 2014.

Why anyone thinks that the Blue Blood programs or the NFL is gonna come after Dan to be the head coach and pay him greater the 5 mill/year is beyond me.

State82
09-30-2017, 09:57 PM
Those assistants have to be paid. That's the issue.

Wtf???? Grantham makes a smooth mil! He ought to be charged with extortion.

BuckyIsAB****
09-30-2017, 09:59 PM

Then shit the bed vs an OM team in oxford that we were better than. Dont forget that

MarketingBully
09-30-2017, 10:00 PM
So he is 65-30 in every other game and that is why he is our head coach. He?s been the only coach we ever had that could win the games we are supposed to win and he has parlayed that into $4.7 mil a year. We allowed TSUN to punk us into paying him an insane amount of money.

dawgday166
09-30-2017, 10:02 PM
Then shit the bed vs an OM team in oxford that we were better than. Dont forget that

C'mon mane ... that was Collins' fault!

We should build a statue for Dan. We were number 1 for 5 weeks at one time in our history.

Coach007
09-30-2017, 10:03 PM
Wtf???? Grantham makes a smooth mil! He ought to be charged with extortion.

Is he? and what does have to do with assistants? He's not even half way through his first year and we have gone from 110th in defense to a top 20 defense.

Quaoarsking
09-30-2017, 10:06 PM
That's a really contrived, meaningless stat.

Activated Alpha
09-30-2017, 10:09 PM
I'm fine with Grantham, but I'm not happy with our secondary coach or wide receiver's coach. At least our OL has looked serviceable especially if we stick to running the damn football.

BuckyIsAB****
09-30-2017, 10:11 PM
I'm fine with Grantham, but I'm not happy with our secondary coach or wide receiver's coach. At least our OL has looked serviceable especially if we stick to running the damn football.

The OL is improved as much as some would hate to admit. Mullen has to commit to the run and be happy with 2 and 3 yard gains

Commercecomet24
09-30-2017, 10:13 PM
That's a really contrived, meaningless stat.

Right on!

ShotgunDawg
09-30-2017, 10:13 PM
Doesn't matter if Dan is at LSU, he ain't winning the West. He gonna crap the bed at least 2 times a year. He simply doesn't understand the psychological aspects to motivating teams week in week out. His standard pre-game speech is "Go out there, execute at a high level, and dominate this game". It works every time ******

Saban does understand that there is a psychological aspect to the game. That's why he flew in the lone survivor guy the weekend of our game with them in 2014.

Why anyone thinks that the Blue Blood programs or the NFL is gonna come after Dan to be the head coach and pay him greater the 5 mill/year is beyond me.

Great post.

This is where I question Dan. Are we going the extra mile to be successful?

If so, can anyone provide examples

msstate7
09-30-2017, 10:17 PM

You?re a crybaby. What was your prediction for this year? We got blasted by the 2nd and 3rd best sec teams. We?re gonna be 8-4 this year, enjoy it

maroonmania
09-30-2017, 10:17 PM

If that is where they are pulling the stats from then the headline is garbage. Its not a "matchup" unless the ranking is when the game is played. But yes, in 2014 we beat 3 ranked teams in a row so those were 3 matchups we won right there. Now I'm not real sure if we've won any others against ranked teams when we played them or not.

BayouDawg
09-30-2017, 10:18 PM

Liver pool it is talking about games where we were ranked and the opponent was also. The data is not being manipulated to paint a narrative. We haven't been very good in top 25 show downs. To argue this is simply ignorant. You can still support a coach while acknowledging there are things that must be improved. I don't know why you have such a hard time comprehending this.

Commercecomet24
09-30-2017, 10:19 PM
If that is where they are pulling the stats from then the headline is garbage. Its not a "matchup" unless the ranking is when the game is played. But yes, in 2014 we beat 3 ranked teams in a row so those were 3 matchups we won right there. Now I'm not real sure if we've won any others against ranked teams when we played them or not.

2014 to present we are 5-10 against ranked teams.

maroonmania
09-30-2017, 10:20 PM

Its great we were ranked #1 but the fact that we had a team full of rejects is NOT a plus for Mullen and our staff.

Dawg61
09-30-2017, 10:21 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpZ3LODBK7E

dawgday166
09-30-2017, 10:21 PM
You?re a crybaby. What was your prediction for this year? We got blasted by the 2nd and 3rd best sec teams. We?re gonna be 8-4 this year, enjoy it

A) I'm not crying and you may very well be right. But I could also see us losing a couple everyone on here doesn't see us losing to.
B) But we'll be about that (8-4) next year too.
C) We gonna get 5 to 8 or so wins every year, with the occasional 9 win season.
D) I'm ok with it cause everyone else loves it.

Auburn may be the 2nd best in the west, but they ain't that good. Maybe they'll improve enough to give Bama a tussle, but they ain't close to that right now.

ScoobaDawg
09-30-2017, 10:23 PM

Well the tough and honest truth is look how that teams finished. Look at the final rankings of those 3 "top 25" teams we beat that year. Then look at the talent we got over the next 2 years. Where is the elevation in talent we were supposed to get from that. It didn't happen. It's a lovely stat to remind people we were #1 for a period of time and that's really cool. But in the context of things. WTF weight does that really carry other than now being a trivia question answer...

Bucky Dog
09-30-2017, 10:27 PM
We have gotten beat by two top 5 teams in the country on the road!!!! Geez!

Yeah would I have liked to have been more competitive? Of course! Is our secondary getting torched repeatedly and are our WR killing us with the lack of speed and power, and all those drops? Of course!

We will get blasted by Bama as well so go ahead and count on that. We have a good chance to split TaM and Arky and go 8-4, 7-5 at worst. We have 2-3 stud receivers coming next year, our entire offensive backfield returning and a more mature line. Yes we need more 4 and 5 stars but quit freaking bitching so much after 2 road beat downs at top 5 teams.

Coach007
09-30-2017, 10:27 PM
Well the tough and honest truth is look how that teams finished. Look at the final rankings of those 3 "top 25" teams we beat that year. Then look at the talent we got over the next 2 years. Where is the elevation in talent we were supposed to get from that. It didn't happen. It's a lovely stat to remind people we were #1 for a period of time and that's really cool. But in the context of things. WTF weight does that really carry other than now being a trivia question answer...

just one example is the guy sitting on the bench waiting on Fitz to graduate

Coach007
09-30-2017, 10:28 PM

And that's where I am talking about. Clemson, with the latest number I can find, spend about 2.5 million more on coaches than we do.

We are ranked 11th in the SEC paying assistant coaches. When is the last time we finished 11th in the Sec?

Bama pays the Outside LB coach (that's right OLB) right at 1 MILLION. How much does our OLB coach make?

dawgday166
09-30-2017, 10:29 PM

One of them ain't top 5. Not sure about the other one yet.

ShotgunDawg
09-30-2017, 10:34 PM
One of them ain't top 5. Not sure about the other one yet.

I think they both are.

Assuming Bama & Clemson are 1 & 2, you can't name 2 other teams that are better than UGA & Auburn.

IMO, the best teams in the country are:

Bama
Clemson
UGA
? ( One of Michigan, OSU, & Penn State)
Auburn

Coach007
09-30-2017, 10:38 PM
I think they both are.

Assuming Bama & Clemson are 1 & 2, you can't name 2 other teams that are better than UGA & Auburn.

Bama
Clemson
UGA
Auburn

Oklahoma and USC are both legit this year

dawgday166
09-30-2017, 10:38 PM
I think they both are.

Bama
Clemson
UGA
Auburn

We'll see at end of year. There were some plays to be made against AU tonight, we just didn't make them. And we ain't that good.

Right now ... not sure cause I haven't watched everyone. AU also has time to improve over the year, so we'll see.

Commercecomet24
09-30-2017, 10:41 PM

Uh USC got beat by Leach last night. Not legit at all.

dawgday166
09-30-2017, 10:42 PM

LOL ... I started to reply to Coach saying "I now know who isn't legit".

Coach007
09-30-2017, 10:43 PM

1 loss.....

Commercecomet24
09-30-2017, 10:46 PM
1 loss.....

1 loss and looked bad doing it. They're also lost both OTs and their center. They got some other losses coming and they're d is nothing special. You're right about a lot but not this.

ShotgunDawg
09-30-2017, 10:51 PM
We'll see at end of year. There were some plays to be made against AU tonight, we just didn't make them. And we ain't that good.

Right now ... not sure cause I haven't watched everyone. AU also has time to improve over the year, so we'll see.

I agree that UGA is better than Auburn & there were some plays to be made tonight, but I think we'll look back & see that we aren't as bad as these last two games appeared.

In fact, I think there is a 50/50 chance we end the year in the top 25.

We are probably somewhere between the 20th & 30th best team in the country . We just aren't close to Auburn or UGA

Todd4State
09-30-2017, 11:15 PM

Exactly.

Liverpooldawg
09-30-2017, 11:18 PM
I think they both are.

Bama
Clemson
UGA
Auburn

Those are the 7 for sure.

Liverpooldawg
09-30-2017, 11:21 PM

I'm the biggest USC fan on this board, but we ain't legit, not this year. I'm probably shouldn't use the "we" but I'm close. Darnold sucks and the team struggles because of it, and the injuries.

ShotgunDawg
09-30-2017, 11:42 PM

USC is a 10-15 type team. Them and TCU are fairly even.

MetEdDawg
10-01-2017, 04:39 AM
I agree that UGA is better than Auburn & there were some plays to be made tonight, but I think we'll look back & see that we aren't as bad as these last two games appeared.

In fact, I think there is a 50/50 chance we end the year in the top 25.

We are probably somewhere between the 20th & 30th best team in the country . We just aren't close to Auburn or UGA

This is my issue. You are probably right. But for all we've done over the past 9 years we really only have one thing people remember. That 3 game stretch in 2014. Other than that, there really isn't much we've done to elevate ourselves.

UGA is a potential playoff team. I'm not mad we lost, I'm just mad we looked totally overmatched. Auburn is really good, but same thing. Totally overmatched. And we know the reason. Recruiting. Our OL has been above average probably one time, maybe 2 times in 9 years. Yet we still continue to sell that we are a developmental program. There are no developmental programs that win 9-10 games on a regular basis. Every year our developmental OL prevents us from beating teams and our developmental secondary gets destroyed in the passing game. To add, I would love to know how many years we are going to be a young team. Pretty sure he's used that line heavily over the past 3 years. You can't be a young team for 3 years. If you are, you aren't doing a good job recruiting and building talent.

We have to do better in those two areas. We can bring in 4 stars virtually everywhere but those two positions and that doesn't make sense. We have to elevate our recruiting in those areas and become a consistent Top 20 recruiting team if we ever want to rise out of the middle of the pack.

Bully13
10-01-2017, 07:41 AM

Yeah would I have liked to have been more competitive? Of course! Is our secondary getting torched repeatedly and are our WR killing us with the lack of speed and power, and all those drops? Of course!

We will get blasted by Bama as well so go ahead and count on that. We have a good chance to split TaM and Arky and go 8-4, 7-5 at worst. We have 2-3 stud receivers coming next year, our entire offensive backfield returning and a more mature line. Yes we need more 4 and 5 stars but quit freaking bitching so much after 2 road beat downs at top 5 teams.

good post.

shoeless joe
10-01-2017, 08:24 AM
This thread is dumb

FISHDAWG
10-01-2017, 10:53 AM
just one example is the guy sitting on the bench waiting on Fitz to graduate

coach ... I have always appreciated your positive approach and support for our coach .... but last night I didn't even see signs of a decent offensive "play caller" ... I understand the talent vs talent angle. but I saw no signs of an above average coach last night

was21
10-01-2017, 11:16 AM
We're not going to do better. I hope he stays until he retires

BrunswickDawg
10-01-2017, 11:23 AM
This is my issue. You are probably right. But for all we've done over the past 9 years we really only have one thing people remember. That 3 game stretch in 2014. Other than that, there really isn't much we've done to elevate ourselves.

UGA is a potential playoff team. I'm not mad we lost, I'm just mad we looked totally overmatched. Auburn is really good, but same thing. Totally overmatched. And we know the reason. Recruiting. Our OL has been above average probably one time, maybe 2 times in 9 years. Yet we still continue to sell that we are a developmental program. There are no developmental programs that win 9-10 games on a regular basis. Every year our developmental OL prevents us from beating teams and our developmental secondary gets destroyed in the passing game. To add, I would love to know how many years we are going to be a young team. Pretty sure he's used that line heavily over the past 3 years. You can't be a young team for 3 years. If you are, you aren't doing a good job recruiting and building talent.

We have to do better in those two areas. We can bring in 4 stars virtually everywhere but those two positions and that doesn't make sense. We have to elevate our recruiting in those areas and become a consistent Top 20 recruiting team if we ever want to rise out of the middle of the pack.

Around 2011 or so I started reading SPS. In the frustration of that season after the high of 2010, there was a thread about building the program to NC caliber level. One poster made the argument that it would take a solid 10 years of consistently having winning seasons and making bowls before we could even consider recruiting at a high enough level to start contending.

Well, here we are 9 years in with Mullen, 7 bowl seasons, have more collective star talent then we have ever had - and we are just starting to see a trickle of the types of recruits it takes to compete at a NC level. It started with Chris Jones, and every year we get 1-2 more than the year before. We are on the verge of signing possibly the best class we have ever had, and 2019 is looking even better.

The reality is while we are a founding SEC member, we actually have a lot more in common with programs making the jump from FBS to FCS. We wandered in the wilderness for far too long to think this was going to be instant or easy. And here we are melting when we still have a strong chance at an 8 (or even 9) win season for only the 20th time in 113 seasons.

tcdog70
10-01-2017, 11:36 AM

You are spot on. The 1 reason Saban, beats everyone, he has more 5 star players. It ain't Xs and Os it's Jimmys and Joes

Commercecomet24
10-01-2017, 11:43 AM
Around 2011 or so I started reading SPS. In the frustration of that season after the high of 2010, there was a thread about building the program to NC caliber level. One poster made the argument that it would take a solid 10 years of consistently having winning seasons and making bowls before we could even consider recruiting at a high enough level to start contending.

Well, here we are 9 years in with Mullen, 7 bowl seasons, have more collective star talent then we have ever had - and we are just starting to see a trickle of the types of recruits it takes to compete at a NC level. It started with Chris Jones, and every year we get 1-2 more than the year before. We are on the verge of signing possibly the best class we have ever had, and 2019 is looking even better.

The reality is while we are a founding SEC member, we actually have a lot more in common with programs making the jump from FBS to FCS. We wandered in the wilderness for far too long to think this was going to be instant or easy. And here we are melting when we still have a strong chance at an 8 (or even 9) win season for only the 20th time in 113 seasons.

Very good post!

TUSK
10-01-2017, 12:21 PM

MSU has played a lot more than 17 ranked teams during CDM's tenure... I wonder what the parameters were for that graphic....

Bully13
10-01-2017, 12:26 PM
MSU has played a lot more than 17 ranked teams during CDM's tenure... I wonder what the parameters were for that graphic....

When MUS was also ranked.

TUSK
10-01-2017, 12:30 PM
When MUS was also ranked.

ahhhhhhhhhh... makes sense, then.... thanks!

NCDawg
10-01-2017, 01:09 PM
We're not going to do better. I hope he stays until he retires

I think you think like a lot of State fans. We are not going to do any better, so why try? Just buy your tickets and be happy with the 6-6, 7-5 seasons, and maybe an occasional 8-4 season. Hate to say it, but the way things are now, you just may be right.

msstate7
10-01-2017, 01:11 PM
I think you think like a lot of State fans. We are not going to do any better, so why try? Just buy your tickets and be happy with the 6-6, 7-5 seasons, and maybe an occasional 8-4 season. Hate to say it, but the way things are now, you just may be right.

Occasional 8-4, huh? In Mullen?s 8 years, we?ve been 8-4 or better in 4 of those with this year likely to be the 5th

Bully13
10-01-2017, 01:26 PM

I think he was just referring to our head coaching spot.

was21
10-01-2017, 01:37 PM
Don't really know how a lot of State fans think, just know how I think and I've been a State football fan a long time (and alumnus), probably longer than just about anybody who posts on here. Of course that's a guess as well. That means that my suffering has been longer, so I do appreciate what he has done and believe that he is doing about as well as anybody can or would. Mississippi State is a unique situation for a number of reasons. I also understand the frustration that others have since at times I experience it as well.

was21
10-01-2017, 01:39 PM
Yes, referring to the HC.