PDA

View Full Version : We need an Offensive Coordinator not named Dan Mullen

Dawg61
09-30-2017, 11:52 AM
I have been thinking about this since we once again fell flat on our face in a big game. Dan chokes. It's proven. Our defense isn't the issue in these big games usually. It is our offense. I don't want to change Dan's system I just want someone who will compliment it, be aggressive and get the most out of Dan's offense and his playbook. Dan ain't that guy.

Bully13
09-30-2017, 11:54 AM
I have been thinking about this since we once again fell flat on our face in a big game. Dan chokes. It's proven. Our defense isn't the issue in these big games usually. It is our offense. I don't want to change Dan's system I just want someone who will compliment it, be aggressive and get the most out of Dan's offense and his playbook. Dan ain't that guy.

why do this?

Dawg61
09-30-2017, 11:56 AM
why do this?

Dan gets $4.8 mill a year. He can face hard facts.

missouridawg
09-30-2017, 11:58 AM

It's way too early to be drunk.

Dawg61
09-30-2017, 12:00 PM
It's way too early to be drunk.

What's your excuse

Bothrops
09-30-2017, 12:02 PM

Defense was the main malfunction last year.

Dawg61
09-30-2017, 12:13 PM
Defense was the main malfunction last year.

It was. That's been fixed. Now it's time to fix the offense not playing to its potential consistently in big games going on 9 years now.

Kyper
09-30-2017, 12:20 PM
Our problem on offense is we have an average OL and below average WR talent- it's not Dan Mullen. This will become more and more evident.

Apoplectic
09-30-2017, 12:24 PM
Yea let's bring Les back. Smh!

Bully13
09-30-2017, 12:25 PM
Our problem on offense is we have an average OL and below average WR talent- it's not Dan Mullen. This will become more and more evident.

I see what you're saying but of course Dan's also responsible for signing the players (if what you're saying is true about the talent level)

BrunswickDawg
09-30-2017, 12:26 PM
Yea let's bring Les back. Smh!
Hud Hud Hud HUD!!!!!!!****

IMissJack
09-30-2017, 12:29 PM
I'm for Dan being the OC if he wants to, but he also controls who does the recruiting, and a couple of our groups have been average to below for 9 years.

basedog
09-30-2017, 12:31 PM
61 just being 61. Wake me up when u get your wish.

Kyper
09-30-2017, 12:32 PM
He is to blame for the lack of talent at positions but he is a good playcaller most of the time.

gravedigger
09-30-2017, 12:33 PM

I think his control of the offense is a package deal. He runs it. Or he runs it elsewhere.

Do you think it's enough of a problem that we should consider looking elsewhere for a head coach that does that?

The ego required to do what he's done at our school (7 straight bowls when the next best coach in MSU history only went to what 6 in 13 years) comes as a package deal. He doesnt seem to have the mentality to hand over the keys of the offense to someone else. This is his baby. He holds all of the leverage in this school /coach relationship for now.

Hell, I'm thrilled he was able to pull the trigger on someone like Grantham.

What he needs is a recruiting coordinator that wont get us investigated, but that can do a better job of filling needs.

I

RocketDawg
09-30-2017, 12:35 PM

Dan did pretty well at previous jobs in that role. Besides, if we had an OC Dan wouldn't let him do the job. It'd be a total waste of money.

1bigdawg
09-30-2017, 12:40 PM
We already have 5 offensive assistants plus Dan, with only 4 on the D. As stated above, we need a better OL. A better OL will also make our WRs look better.

Note that, on paper, we have our most talented OL of the Mullen era.

Liverpooldawg
09-30-2017, 12:43 PM

Maybe we can hire an OC that won a National Championship as an OC.

Dawg61
09-30-2017, 12:45 PM
Do you think it's enough of a problem that we should consider looking elsewhere for a head coach that does that?

It's in Dan' best interest to bring in an OC to compliment him and help him with his weakness. If Dan is unwilling to work on his weaknesses and attempt to correct them than the question answers itself. Everyone has faults/deficiencies that they need to work to improve. LeBron James works on his weaknesses and tries to improve them. If someone that great at something can do it everyone can. I think a bunch of y'all just don't want to hurt his feelings but the man is so damn stubborn it us unavoidable. How do you get a man so stubborn to listen to anything actually listen to you? I don't want to lose Dan Mullen but I also don't want to go 3-32 vs our next 35 ranked teams.

RocketDawg
09-30-2017, 12:50 PM
It's in Dan' best interest to bring in an OC to compliment him and help him with his weakness. If Dan is unwilling to work on his weaknesses and attempt to correct them than the question answers itself. Everyone has faults/deficiencies that they need to work to improve. LeBron James works on his weaknesses and tries to improve them. If someone that great at something can do it everyone can. I think a bunch of y'all just don't want to hurt his feelings but the man is so damn stubborn it us unavoidable. How do you get a man so stubborn to listen to anything actually listen to you? I don't want to lose Dan Mullen but I also don't want to go 3-32 vs our next 35 ranked teams.

I don't know. Dan gets enough compliments. Don't want to build his ego any more than it already is. **

Todd4State
09-30-2017, 03:08 PM
I don't think Dan is a bad play caller. I think the root of our problems in big games goes back to our recruiting fails- this year it's at WR and as always OL. Until Dan corrects that- we're going to continue to struggle in big games.

Political Hack
09-30-2017, 03:24 PM
Dan can play QB if he wants too.

basedog
09-30-2017, 03:40 PM
I will say it again, pretty sure teams ranked ahead of us in the past were just better. We have come a long ways from the past, and yes we can get better but the rich get richer. All isn't all that bad right now, nothing wrong for wanting more but be realistic.

Turfdawg67
09-30-2017, 04:11 PM
I don't think Dan is a bad play caller. I think the root of our problems in big games goes back to our recruiting fails- this year it's at WR and as always OL. Until Dan corrects that- we're going to continue to struggle in big games.

Yes yes yes... we know how you feel about our freaking WRs and OL.

Todd4State
09-30-2017, 04:20 PM

It's frustrating to me because it's avoidable. Plus, I'm hardly the only one saying something about it. What we've allowed to happen would not have been allowed at most other SEC schools.

Dan appears to be fixing the WR issue. Guidry will be a huge upgrade for us. We do have an UA All-American LT prospect coming in which is a good start. I would love to land Jerome Carvin- and UT getting killed probably only helps us plus I'm guessing that UT is likely going to have a new coach.

NCDawg
09-30-2017, 04:33 PM

And he is absolutely correct.

Turfdawg67
09-30-2017, 04:41 PM
And he is absolutely correct.

We have serviceable WRs and OL and mismatches at TE. UT who blows us out in recruiting is losing to UGA 24-0 at the half. We simply ran into the best/2nd best D in the SEC... the same D that always shuts down our O.

MidTNDawg
09-30-2017, 04:44 PM
Well blaming him is as good as any. He does make a lot of money. We blame him when the defense doesn't play well so only fair to include offense. How in this world have we won ball games with him as head coach?