PDA

View Full Version : Bad Stat on ESPN

ShotgunDawg
09-30-2017, 09:35 AM
On Game Day, they just showed that MSU is 2-14 in their last 16 games when both teams are ranked & 0 for our last 8.

I absolutely realize has this stat is gerrymandered to make it appear worse than it really is as we've beaten a number of ranked teams when we have been right outside the top 25. I also realize that many times our ranked games are vs top 10 caliber opponents. I get that.

However, the point remains, Mullen has had a real problem getting his team to play well when he's not sneaking up on the opponent. The numbers say that. It's a fact & the truth is many times he is blown out in these games.

Time to step up Mullen. You can't be considered an elite coach until you figure this out & MSU can't take the next step as a program until it shows well on a national stage.

Change your attitude in big games. Blaming it all on talent deficiencies is a loser mentality.

Another chance tonight. Figure it out

msstate7
09-30-2017, 10:17 AM
In ?14, we faced 3 ranked teams in a row and won. We faced 3 at the end of ?14 and lost. Were we ranked 4 times facing a ranked team in ?15? Last week was #8, I suppose

IMissJack
09-30-2017, 10:30 AM
Part of the reason I have a problem with stats like this is we are in the SEC West, which means when we are ranked we still have to play Bama, which is an almost certain loss for everyone, LSU, Auburn, aTm. Being in the SEC West, we have more opportunities. If we were in the East, this record looks very different, and if TN, SC were in the West theirs would look as bad.

ShotgunDawg
09-30-2017, 10:35 AM
Part of the reason I have a problem with stats like this is we are in the SEC West, which means when we are ranked we still have to play Bama, which is an almost certain loss for everyone, LSU, Auburn, aTm. Being in the SEC West, we have more opportunities. If we were in the East, this record looks very different, and if TN, SC were in the West theirs would look as bad.

Completely agree and the stat is also hurt by the fact that we are underrated every year and have to beat a ranked team to become ranked.

However, if we can get past all the problems with the stat, it is still a bad stat and which points to a coach that has trouble getting his team to play their best in big games. It's troubling.

IMissJack
09-30-2017, 10:37 AM
The only reason ESPN puts a stat up like that for every big game we play is to get people on the "Mullen to _______" train. Throwing out the perception that he can't win the big one at MSU.

BrunswickDawg
09-30-2017, 11:01 AM
What is that old quote? Statistics, damn statistics, and lies??? Or something like that. I don't disagree that for Mullen to get over the hump we have to do better in those games, however that is definitely one of those stats that you can't relate to many teams. We are now 7-31 against ranked teams in the Mullen era. UGA is 12-22 in that same span. Michigan is 9-22. Are they getting the same critic because they really aren't much better. We average 4.5 games a year against Top 25 teams. That's a hard as hell schedule to face. It's a full team more than we averaged in the 1990s.

PCHSDawg
09-30-2017, 11:39 AM
Lies, damn lies and statistics.

Dawg61
09-30-2017, 11:43 AM
I think we need an OC. Dan chokes in big games. It is proven fact at this point. Art Briles for OC and make him live in the rape prevention center. Spare me the judgement from your Ivory tower. I am going to make this a new thread so reply in that if you like.

bluelightstar
09-30-2017, 11:53 AM
On Game Day, they just showed that MSU is 2-14 in their last 16 games when both teams are ranked & 0 for our last 8.

I absolutely realize has this stat is gerrymandered to make it appear worse than it really is as we've beaten a number of ranked teams when we have been right outside the top 25. I also realize that many times our ranked games are vs top 10 caliber opponents. I get that.

However, the point remains, Mullen has had a real problem getting his team to play well when he's not sneaking up on the opponent. The numbers say that. It's a fact & the truth is many times he is blown out in these games.

Time to step up Mullen. You can't be considered an elite coach until you figure this out & MSU can't take the next step as a program until it shows well on a national stage.

Change your attitude in big games. Blaming it all on talent deficiencies is a loser mentality.

Another chance tonight. Figure it out

It's actually not that gerrymandered of a stat, I think a coach's ranked vs. ranked record is interesting. I'm just not knocking Mullen because I'm not sure many people would've done better.

Dawg61
09-30-2017, 12:00 PM
Only problem I have with this stat is they don't count the teams that drop out of the top 25 at the end of the year and this is bullshit cause when we win a big reason they drop out of the top 25 is cause we beat them.

bluelightstar
09-30-2017, 12:04 PM
Only problem I have with this stat is they don't count the teams that drop out of the top 25 at the end of the year and this is bullshit cause when we win a big reason they drop out of the top 25 is cause we beat them.

I think the stat is if both teams were ranked at the time of the matchup so it wouldn't remove teams that fell out of the Top 25.

Bothrops
09-30-2017, 12:06 PM
This is a stat they love to rub in our faces and create noise. **** them.

Dawg61
09-30-2017, 12:15 PM
I think the stat is if both teams were ranked at the time of the matchup so it wouldn't remove teams that fell out of the Top 25.

Maybe not that time but usually they don't get counted when this argument comes up. See 2014 for reference.

basedog
09-30-2017, 12:27 PM
If Elite is Bama Good then forget it. We've become a threat every weekend to anybody ranked, I wonder how many times we were favoured and lost on that stat.

Lastly, we are by FAR the most improved program in the Sec since DM was named HC.

Yes we can get better and IF recruiting stars is the answer help is on the way boys.

Btw, fact is DM will end up winning more Sec games and bowl victories than anyone who coached at MSU.

We aren't favored tonight so maybe tonight will be our night!

Go Dawgs!

IMissJack
09-30-2017, 12:32 PM
Lastly, we are by FAR the most improved program in the Sec since DM was named HC.

This is true.

IMissJack
09-30-2017, 12:33 PM
What is that old quote? Statistics, damn statistics, and lies??? Or something like that. I don't disagree that for Mullen to get over the hump we have to do better in those games, however that is definitely one of those stats that you can't relate to many teams. We are now 7-31 against ranked teams in the Mullen era. UGA is 12-22 in that same span. Michigan is 9-22. Are they getting the same critic because they really aren't much better. We average 4.5 games a year against Top 25 teams. That's a hard as hell schedule to face. It's a full team more than we averaged in the 1990s.

How many times has UGA played Bama? Take Bama out of our schedule and add TN and our record is better.

Dawgology
09-30-2017, 12:55 PM
Reality is...we need to recruit better at the OL and WR positions and Mullen needs to not call plays so tight/scared in the big games. Just go out there play to win.