PDA

View Full Version : The Landshark won....

Liverpooldawg
09-29-2017, 10:59 PM
the election up the road. So they want to be something a USM guy came up with now. I never thought I'd see THAT.

Commercecomet24
09-29-2017, 11:01 PM
That place is an embarrassment in so many ways and it seems like they create new ways everyday. Smh

Reason2succeed
09-29-2017, 11:14 PM
Did I miss something?

Liverpooldawg
09-29-2017, 11:34 PM
Did I miss something?

The cheaters were voting on their On field mascot again. The choices were the current bear or the Jimmy Buffet creation Landshark. They went with the USM man's creation.

Cooterpoot
09-29-2017, 11:45 PM
Those mother 17'rs are a freaking embarrassment. They're going to split up there fans. Anarchy on that beautiful campus is special.

starkvegasdawg
09-29-2017, 11:51 PM
We ought to change our mascot to the Fighting Leo?s for the EB.

Barkman Turner Overdrive
09-29-2017, 11:56 PM
the election up the road. So they want to be something a USM guy came up with now. I never thought I'd see THAT.

Does the SNL skit predate Buffett's song "Fins?"

Liverpooldawg
09-30-2017, 12:06 AM

I think Fins predates the skit. Even if it's the other way around the first mention of Landsharks in a football context is in one of Buffett's short stories in his first book. The original football Landsharks were a pair of twin brother linebackers on the fictitious Alabama High School State Champion Heatwave Lizards. It's a great story. That's a fun little book.

Reason2succeed
09-30-2017, 12:29 AM
Maybe they are changing their mascot just in time to avoid more of this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6n1KPQmdddY

Now someone has to create a whole new song with a awkward sea creature.

dotcomdawg
09-30-2017, 01:05 AM

The skit was in the 1976 season when Chevy Chase was still on the show. The Volcano album was released in 1979.

Liverpooldawg
09-30-2017, 01:42 AM
The skit was in the 1976 season when Chevy Chase was still on the show. The Volcano album was released in 1979.

As I said, that doesn't change the fact that the original football land sharks belong to Heatwave High, a Jimmy Buffet creation. Either way, the cheaters now identify with a comedy skit or a creation of an USM man. It's totally hilarious!

Bubb Rubb
09-30-2017, 04:50 AM
It's just another example of them being jealous of us. They see us playing a clip of SNL at our games and they want one too.

Liverpooldawg
09-30-2017, 10:36 AM
It's just another example of them being jealous of us. They see us playing a clip of SNL at our games and they want one too.

LOL!

RocketDawg
09-30-2017, 10:40 AM

Thought the Colonel might win in a write in. Bet there was no way to even do a write in.

IMissJack
09-30-2017, 10:41 AM
As I said, that doesn't change the fact that the original football land sharks belong to Heatwave High, a Jimmy Buffet creation. Either way, the cheaters now identify with a comedy skit or a creation of an USM man. It's totally hilarious!

So could Jimmy demand a royalty for use of his creation?

TrapGame
09-30-2017, 10:49 AM
The only land shark I ever liked was this guy.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/d1/Jabberjaw.png

gravedigger
09-30-2017, 11:26 AM

And the skit was to make fun of the gullibility of the victims of horror movies. Chevy made up names and said 'candygram' and 'actually I'm only a dolphin'.

To use the same terminology as a major college mascot is......irrelevant at best and, brace yourself, UNORIGINAL at worst. Which if anyone is familiar with Ole Miss, that alone might describe them better than anything.

They could choose the baby pools because they are so shallow.
The reflecting pool from the Greek myth of Narcissus because they are so conceited.