PDA

View Full Version : Sam Darnold

ShotgunDawg
09-29-2017, 10:31 PM
I've never seen a player that the media is more eager to hand the Heisman Trophy to than Sam Darnold.

It appears that no matter how bad he plays, they still call him the leader for the trophy

He throws at least 1 INT every game & has a windup arm action that makes it where he telegraphs every pass.

USC is no way a top 5 team. They are about equal to TCU

msstate7
09-29-2017, 10:35 PM
Isn?t he projected #1 pick?

ShotgunDawg
09-29-2017, 10:36 PM
Isn?t he projected #1 pick?

We'll see where he ends up or how good he is when he gets the NFL

Commercecomet24
09-29-2017, 10:37 PM
I agree. Watched them play every game this year and they are vastly overrated. Their defense is bad. Darnold Is pretty good but he's not the best player in the country for sure. Hope leach takes em down tonight.

ShotgunDawg
09-29-2017, 10:40 PM
I agree. Watched them play every game this year and they are vastly overrated. Their defense is bad. Darnold Is pretty good but he's not the best player in the country for sure. Hope leach takes em down tonight.

The media is desperate to keep the West Coast part of the conversation. I'm not sure USC is a top 10 in team of how good they actually are.

Georgia would whip their ass & them vs us would be a game I think we could win.

Liverpooldawg
09-29-2017, 10:44 PM
I've never seen a player that the media is more eager to hand the Heisman Trophy to than Sam Darnold.

It appears that no matter how bad he plays, they still call him the leader for the trophy

He throws at least 1 INT every game & has a windup arm action that makes it where he telegraphs every pass.

I'm a big SC fan. Darnald has not been great so far this year. He is throwing way too many pics. The team has struggled. They have been really beat up. Im shocked they are still undefeated with as bad as the injury situation has been. The starting LT didn't make the trip. When the starting RT went out in this game a true freshmen replaced him. It's nice to see Jones bust one just now. If he is back heathy that's big.

BulldogBear
09-29-2017, 10:48 PM
I agree. Watched them play every game this year and they are vastly overrated. Their defense is bad. Darnold Is pretty good but he's not the best player in the country for sure. Hope Leach takes em down tonight.

Hope so too but every time WSU gets all the momentum their way they hand it back to the Trojans.

msstate7
09-29-2017, 10:50 PM
Deshaun Watson threw 17 ints last year. I have no idea how good SD is, but the projection at #1 means more to me right now than the ints.

Commercecomet24
I'm a big SC fan. Darnald has not been great so far this year. He is throwing way too many pics. The team has struggled. They have been really beat up. Im shocked they are still undefeated with as bad as the injury situation has been. The starting LT didn't make the trip. When the starting RT went out in this game a true freshmen replaced him. It's nice to see Jones bust one just now. If he is back heathy that's big.

Jones can fly! He ran away from the dbs. Gotta be one of fastest players in cfb.

ShotgunDawg
Hate to sound like Shitburger but Darnold just threw another one in the arms of the defender. He dropped it though

Commercecomet24
09-29-2017, 10:52 PM
Hope so too but every time WSU gets all the momentum their way they hand it back to the Trojans.

You got that right. I like ol Leach.

ShotgunDawg
09-29-2017, 10:53 PM
Deshaun Watson threw 17 ints last year. I have no idea how good SD is, but the projection at #1 means more to me right now than the ints.

We are talking about the Hiesman though.

Plus, Watson was WAAAAYYYYYY more proven than Darnold when he threw INTs last year. Watson was coming off taking his team to the Natty & lighting up Bama. We knew he was good.

Other than beating a Penn State team that should've been beaten by 17ing Iowa last weekend, what has Darnold done?

BTW, Iowa is about good as Arkansas.

ShotgunDawg
09-29-2017, 10:55 PM
the projection at #1 means more to me right now than the ints.

Maybe the scouts saying that suck at their jobs

msstate7
09-29-2017, 10:59 PM
Maybe the scouts saying that suck at their jobs

Could be the case. I?m not saying SD is good or not, but I do think that projection gives him a certain level of respect.

msstate7
09-29-2017, 11:00 PM
Why the heck does ED keep sticking a ? Where an ? is when I post?

Todd4State
09-29-2017, 11:01 PM

So, you're saying he's like a crappy version of Tim Tebow? I agree. Heisman has been a BS award for awhile now. It's a popularity contest.

ShotgunDawg
09-29-2017, 11:06 PM
So, you're saying he's like a crappy version of Tim Tebow? I agree. Heisman has been a BS award for awhile now. It's a popularity contest.

He's a better passer than Tebow

BulldogBear
09-29-2017, 11:07 PM

No. More of a crappy version...of a crappy version of Tim Tebow. Perhaps a crappy version of Tim Couch or Tee Martin.

msstate7
09-29-2017, 11:13 PM
What a great drive

Commercecomet24
09-29-2017, 11:19 PM
No. More of a crappy version...of a crappy version of Tim Tebow. Perhaps a crappy version of Tim Couch or Tee Martin.

Ooh Tim Couch is a good comp.

Liverpooldawg
09-29-2017, 11:39 PM
I don't often do this but in the media's defense the hype on Darnald was based on last year. He was pretty good last great. This year he is terribly inconsistent. He looks great one play and then he does something that just makes you shake your head. I think he read too many of his press clippings.

Cooterpoot
09-29-2017, 11:41 PM
He sucks and so does USC.

ShotgunDawg
If you want to find the best QB in the country, look for QBs that propel their team to being better than their recruiting profile says they should. Those are the guys that tend to be the best bets in the NFL.

E Manning - OM
Rivers - NC State
Prescott - Us
Russell Wilson - NC State / Wisky
Alex Smith - Utah
Aaron Rogers - Cal
Andrew Luck - Stanford
Trevor Semien - Northwestern
Roethlisberger - Miami of Ohio
Cousins - Mich St
Newton - Auburn - That roster wasn't very good

Liverpooldawg
Good grief what a horrible offensive pass interference call. Jerez the defender held him all the way down the field. SEC refs in the PAC?

Liverpooldawg
09-29-2017, 11:45 PM
If you want to find the best QB in the country, look for QBs that propel their team to being better than their recruiting profile says they should.

I don't buy that. You look at which QB actually performs the best on the field. Once a guy signs recruiting profiles don't mean a damn thing. By my measure or yours that isn't Darnold.

ShotgunDawg
09-29-2017, 11:48 PM
I don't buy that. You look at which QB actually performs the best on the field. Once a guy signs recruiting profiles don't mean a damn thing. By my measure or yours that isn't Darnold.

Agree. Just saying the ability to elevate a team is a pretty good sign. History in the NFL shows us that

Liverpooldawg
09-29-2017, 11:49 PM
He sucks and so does USC.

Maybe so. I'd love it if we were 4-0 right now. I'm not sold on SC this year......yet. If they can survive and maybe actually get healthy......then who knows. That would depend on Darnold getting his act together then. Right now they have to survive this one. They very well may not.

ShotgunDawg
09-29-2017, 11:49 PM
ESPN Stats & Info‏Verified account @ESPNStatsInfo 1m1 minute ago
More
USC's Sam Darnold has thrown 14 INTs since Nov. 1, 2016... 3 more than any other QB in FBS.

WITH USC TALENT AROUND HIM

Liverpooldawg
09-30-2017, 12:23 AM
ESPN Stats & Info‏Verified account @ESPNStatsInfo 1m1 minute ago
More
USC's Sam Darnold has thrown 14 INTs since Nov. 1, 2016... 3 more than any other QB in FBS.

WITH USC TALENT AROUND HIM

He has been awful so far this year. There is no way he is even a first rounder right now, much less the overall #1. That's from me, perhaps the biggest SC fan on this board. They have been my second team since I was a kid. Anthony Davis was my man. Since then when I married, my wife has an uncle that played for them. He is a great guy. He and his wife have done a lot for us. That kind of cemented me as a USC fan.

Commercecomet24
09-30-2017, 12:39 AM
He has been awful so far this year. There is no way he is even a first rounder right now, much less the overall #1. That's from me, perhaps the biggest SC fan on this board. They have been my second team since I was a kid. Anthony Davis was my man. Since then when I married, my wife has an uncle that played for them. He is a great guy. He and his wife have done a lot for us. That kind of cemented me as a USC fan.

Man I remember that game in the 70's when Anthony Davis went wild in the second half against notre dame he scored like 6 tds and I think the final was 45 to 20 something. Scored via rushing, receiving and a couple of kick returns if I remember correctly. He was a bad man!

Liverpooldawg
09-30-2017, 12:41 AM
Man I remember that game in the 70's when Anthony Davis went wild in the second half against notre dame he scored like 6 tds and I think the final was 45 to 20 something. Scored via rushing, receiving and a couple of kick returns if I remember correctly. He was a bad man!

FIGHT ON! It ain't looking good right now on the Palouse.

ShotgunDawg
09-30-2017, 12:42 AM
What's funny is all the people on twitter taking up for him by saying his supporting cast is bad.

That may be so, but you shouldn't be ranked 5th if your team is bad.

So what is it? Is USC a bad team with a good QB or a really good team with a meh QB?

ShotgunDawg
09-30-2017, 12:43 AM
The announcer has said he has the "it factor" a good 20
Times tonight.

Why do the announcers feel the need to take up for him?

Commercecomet24
09-30-2017, 12:48 AM
FIGHT ON! It ain't looking good right now on the Palouse.

USC looks totally out of sync. No rhythm at all. So many great rbs came out of there, Garrett, OJ, AD, Bell, Charles White, Marcus Allen. We lived in Phoenix for 7 years in the late 60's and 70's. I was a kid then and they showed a lot of USC football there. Late night rebroadcasts.

Liverpooldawg
09-30-2017, 12:48 AM

I became a Miami fan through marriage as well. My father-in-law is an actual Miami grad. They have done a LOT for us. I just never had the childhood thing with Miami that I did for SC. In fact I don't really recall ever hearing of Miami much before we played them in the early 80s. Their rise was incredible. What Schnellburger did down there was amazing. They came out of nowhere.

Anthony Davis had he won the Heisman would probably still be a household name. He didn't win it, so he isn't. He was a heck of a player.

Liverpooldawg
09-30-2017, 12:49 AM
USC looks totally out of sync. No rhythm at all. So many great rbs came out of there, Garrett, OJ, AD, Bell, Charles White, Marcus Allen. We lived in Phoenix for 7 years in the late 60's and 70's. I was a kid then and they showed a lot of USC football there. Late night rebroadcasts.

This is the way they have looked all year except for a few late game spurts. It's why I ain't sold on them yet.

Commercecomet24
09-30-2017, 12:51 AM
This is the way they have looked all year except for a few late game spurts. It's why I ain't sold on them yet.

Yeah seems likes they've struggled every game.

Liverpooldawg
09-30-2017, 12:53 AM
What's funny is all the people on twitter taking up for him by saying his supporting cast is bad.

That may be so, but you shouldn't be ranked 5th if your team is bad.

So what is it? Is USC a bad team with a good QB or a really good team with a meh QB?

They are and have been really beat up. He hasn't had the full supporting cast much, if at all. He has still sucked this year no matter who is around him. He is the QB at SC, he needs to start playing like one.

Liverpooldawg
09-30-2017, 01:00 AM
That dang left guard for Wazzou is a MAN. Then again he might be a Sasquatch, that guy is stinking huge.

Liverpooldawg
09-30-2017, 01:06 AM
OK Darnald. If you are a SC quarterback, it's time to show it.

ShotgunDawg
09-30-2017, 01:08 AM
Does he still have the "it factor" if he fumbles to lose the game?

Liverpooldawg
09-30-2017, 01:09 AM
And THAT is Darnold to a T this year. I don't know how they have got though 4 undefeated. This is starting out to be a really crappy sports weekend for me. My HS lost a big one tonight, and now this crap. Hopefully the DAWGS make it all better tomorrow!

ShotgunDawg
09-30-2017, 01:12 AM
Wow, and Sportcenter leads by saying he can still win the Heisman.

Why? What has he done to even be in the discussion?

It's unbelievable to me. Never have I seen a player receive more credit for doing nothing.

TUSK
09-30-2017, 01:13 AM
Y'all are missing the point... Arnold's agent doesn't want his client in the CFP.

I Think it's a genius move.

Todd4State
09-30-2017, 01:15 AM
Dan Mullen needs to talk to Mike Leach about how to coach in games against ranked teams.

Liverpooldawg
09-30-2017, 01:15 AM
Wow, and Sportcenter leads by saying he can still win the Heisman.

Why? What has he done to even be in the discussion?

It's unbelievable to me. Never have I seen a player receive more credit for doing nothing.

He has never really been in the race, not this season. ESPN has their narratives and they don't give them up easily. I bet if Freeze hadn't been cannned they would still be talking about what a great recruiter he is.

Liverpooldawg
09-30-2017, 01:17 AM
Dan Mullen needs to talk to Mike Leach about how to coach in games against ranked teams.

So what exactly has Leech ever really done other than pull off an upset every now and then? Serious question. I take it you haven't been watching SC much this year by the way. Those of us who have knew this was only a matter of time.

TUSK
09-30-2017, 01:23 AM
Todd, I'm not skeered of WSU's talent, but I fear The Pirate.

Todd4State
09-30-2017, 01:40 AM
So what exactly has Leech ever really done other than pull off an upset every now and then? Serious question. I take it you haven't been watching SC much this year by the way. Those of us who have knew this was only a matter of time.

He coaches way more aggressively in big games. That's why he pulls off an upset every now and then- he has beaten Texas and Oklahoma and won a share of the Big 12 in 2008. And he has done it at places that are more difficult to win at than MSU.

It's pretty embarrassing to see Dan Mullen is 2-14 against ranked teams on the ESPN ticker. It's time for him to step up and start beating some people every once in awhile.

Todd4State
09-30-2017, 01:43 AM
Todd, I'm not skeered of WSU's talent, but I fear The Pirate.

Exactly my point. USC has way more talent and stars than WSU. But there they were storming the field after a huge win. Aggressive defense all night. Great call on a shovel pass to give them the lead in the fourth quarter. Rallied his team late by calming them down before the game and then unleashed them in the fourth quarter by telling them to show everyone how good they were.

Badass job of coaching tonight.

TUSK
09-30-2017, 01:47 AM
CDM plays the odds.

I can see why that might be simultaneously frustrating & beneficial.

Liverpooldawg
09-30-2017, 01:49 AM
He coaches way more aggressively in big games. That's why he pulls off an upset every now and then- he has beaten Texas and Oklahoma and won a share of the Big 12 in 2008. And he has done it at places that are more difficult to win at than MSU.

It's pretty embarrassing to see Dan Mullen is 2-14 against ranked teams on the ESPN ticker. It's time for him to step up and start beating some people every once in awhile.

So he really hasn't done much then, other than pull an upset every now and then. What about WAzzou or Texas Tech says they are harder to win at than MSU? Similar histories actually. Has he ever had a team ranked #1 at any time?

Liverpooldawg
09-30-2017, 01:53 AM
Exactly my point. USC has way more talent and stars than WSU. But there they were storming the field after a huge win. Aggressive defense all night. Great call on a shovel pass to give them the lead in the fourth quarter. Rallied his team late by calming them down before the game and then unleashed them in the fourth quarter by telling them to show everyone how good they were.

Badass job of coaching tonight.

Again you haven't been watching USC. This was coming.

Leach has never really done anything dude. And he most likely never will. Leave it to you to twist this thread into a Mullen bashing.

Commercecomet24
09-30-2017, 01:56 AM
2014-present Dan Mullen is 5-8 vs ranked teams.

Over same period Leach is 3-8 vs ranked teams

ETA Dan is 5-10 vs ranked teams since 2014. Missed 2 from '14

TUSK
09-30-2017, 01:59 AM
2014-present Dan Mullen is 5-8 vs ranked teams.

Over same period Leach is 3-8 vs ranked teams

Wow. How is "ranked " defined?

Commercecomet24
09-30-2017, 02:04 AM
Wow. How is "ranked " defined?

Teams ranked at the end of the year by AP.

Accept for this year of course since it's not over yet lol

Since 2009(Dans first year) Dan is
7-26 vs ranked teams

Leach 2009-present 5-18 vs ranked teams.

BulldogBear
09-30-2017, 02:07 AM
Agree. Just saying the ability to elevate a team is a pretty good sign. History in the NFL shows us that

With a notable exception on occasion, successful NFL QBs, especially those with longer careers, ALMOST NEVER come from blue blood programs. They almost always went to college at G5 or mid to low level P5 schools.

Does he still have the "shit factor" if he fumbles to lose the game?
FIFY

I hope we can stop talking about him for the Heisman now.

Dawg61
09-30-2017, 02:12 AM
Josh Rosen looked like the best QB in the country when UCLA came back on aTm. That was an impressive performance against a shit defense though.

TUSK
09-30-2017, 02:23 AM
Teams ranked at the end of the year by AP.

Accept for this year of course since it's not over yet lol

Since 2009(Dans first year) Dan is
7-26 vs ranked teams

Leach 2009-present 5-18 vs ranked teams.

I am absolutely dog shit hammered drunk. But I'm gonna check ur math, buddy. If I don't drown 1st.

If I do, u can hv mah weed & still. And feed the dogs

Commercecomet24
09-30-2017, 02:28 AM
I am absolutely dog shit hammered drunk. But I'm gonna check ur math, buddy. If I don't drown 1st.

If I do, u can hv mah weed & still. And feed the dogs

Lol be safe. Sports-reference.com-cfb

TUSK
09-30-2017, 03:08 AM
Lol be safe. Sports-reference.com-cfb

2009 Ole Miss (9-4), #20
2014 Auburn (8-5), #22

Who am I missing?

Commercecomet24
09-30-2017, 03:15 AM
2009 Ole Miss (9-4), #20
2014 Auburn (8-5), #22

Who am I missing?

2010-Florida
2014-lsu,am
2016-am
2017-lsu

TUSK
09-30-2017, 03:31 AM
Oh, I see where the disconnect was, now...

I meant "teams that finished the season ranked in the AP Poll".... Not wins over teams that were ranked only during the season...

my misunderstanding.

Commercecomet24
09-30-2017, 03:34 AM

I meant "teams that finished the season ranked in the AP Poll".... Not wins over teams that were ranked only during the season...

my misunderstanding.

That was my fault cause I said teams that finished ranked. When sports reference lists wins over ranked teams it lists wins over ranked teams at the time games were played. That's my bad.

But I did same thing for Leach wins over ranked teams when games were played.

TUSK
09-30-2017, 03:35 AM
That was my fault cause I said teams that finished ranked. When sports reference lists wins over ranked teams it lists wins over ranked teams at the time games were played. That's my bad.

Tis cool, bro.... as long as you know I'm always right....

except when TX and ND play.

Commercecomet24
09-30-2017, 03:36 AM

But of course lol*******

Commercecomet24
09-30-2017, 03:38 AM

except when TX and ND play.

And it's late as hell too so my mind ain't exactly clicking on the few cylinders it has left

TUSK
09-30-2017, 03:48 AM
And it's late as hell too so my mind ain't exactly clicking on the few cylinders it has left

Don't feel bad.... i'm gnawin on a Subway sammich and my dogs are lookin at me like... "man, we could whack him out.... no one would ask any questions... but "Crap, we don't have opposable thumbs to cash the white trash welfare checks...."

Todd4State
09-30-2017, 07:21 AM
So he really hasn't done much then, other than pull an upset every now and then. What about WAzzou or Texas Tech says they are harder to win at than MSU? Similar histories actually. Has he ever had a team ranked #1 at any time?

I would be willing to bet some v-cash we have more 4-5 stars. Much more talent in Mississippi than where Leach is in Washington. Texas is a great area but Texas Tech will always be behind Texas and A&M plus they have to compete with the other Texas schools for talent.

Had to look this up to fact check but Leach beat number one Texas in 2008.

Todd4State
09-30-2017, 07:32 AM

my misunderstanding.

I'm not sure why ESPN only counts it that way to be honest with you.

Cooterpoot
09-30-2017, 07:39 AM
Leach teams don't get beat up every week. Anybody that's never coached in the SEC, doesn't understand what defense and getting beat up looks like. I wish we could face Sirmon defenses every week.

Reason2succeed
09-30-2017, 07:46 AM
How does Leach do against Bama every year?* Stats can be misleading.

Really Clark?
09-30-2017, 07:50 AM
I would be willing to bet some v-cash we have more 4-5 stars. Much more talent in Mississippi than where Leach is in Washington. Texas is a great area but Texas Tech will always be behind Texas and A&M plus they have to compete with the other Texas schools for talent.

That was Leach's best team in his 9th year at TX Tech when they upset Texas. He has never won more than 9 games any other year. Doesn't take away his success at those schools but if you are going to compare with Mullen then you have to slide the scale for conference difficulty during most of Mullen's career as well. Overall Leach has a .605 win percentage (very good job) to Mullen's .598. They win at the same clip. He is .500 at WSU but that will go up this year

Liverpooldawg
09-30-2017, 10:04 AM

Has Leech ever coached in the SEC West? Did he do it during what will eventually be seen as the greatest Golden Era ever for a conference. Does he have to play Bama, LSU, and Auburn every year? Do

Commercecomet24
09-30-2017, 12:38 PM
Leach teams don't get beat up every week. Anybody that's never coached in the SEC, doesn't understand what defense and getting beat up looks like. I wish we could face Sirmon defenses every week.

This! The only real defense in the pac12 is Washington. It's just not the same as what we face week in week out.