PDA

View Full Version : Baseball recruiting

smootness
09-29-2017, 12:27 PM
So Baseball America published their top 50 HS prospects for the 2018 MLB draft, and State has 4 of the top 24 kids:

http://www.baseballamerica.com/draft/2018-high-school-top-50-mlb-draft-prospects/#7IxwzC65uFjv5HVU.97

11 - Carter Stewart
16 - Cole Winn
22 - Jeremiah Jackson
24 - JT Ginn

Obviously this is generally in the range where there is very little, if any, chance of them coming to school, but I know there's been talk about potentially getting 1 or 2 of them. So...anybody have any predictions? I know some feel good about Ginn, but is there any chance to get any of the others to campus?

ShotgunDawg
09-29-2017, 12:36 PM
So Baseball America published their top 50 HS prospects for the 2018 MLB draft, and State has 4 of the top 24 kids:

http://www.baseballamerica.com/draft/2018-high-school-top-50-mlb-draft-prospects/#7IxwzC65uFjv5HVU.97

11 - Carter Stewart
16 - Cole Winn
22 - Jeremiah Jackson
24 - JT Ginn

Obviously this is generally in the range where there is very little, if any, chance of them coming to school, but I know there's been talk about potentially getting 1 or 2 of them. So...anybody have any predictions? I know some feel good about Ginn, but is there any chance to get any of the others to campus?

Ginn is the best chance due to his upbringing and most teams thinking he is a reliever.

HS relievers aren't highly valued and thus it may be in his best interest to come to school and prove he can start.

As did the others, Jackson has a chance because some teams aren't sure he can hit.

Hope the rumored sex room in that bar in Oxford doesn't give anyone HIV.

smootness
09-29-2017, 12:56 PM
Im a nannerpuss

Yikes, dude.

It would be huge if we could land even one of these guys. If it's 2, then it makes a massive impact on our ability to compete going forward.

State82
09-29-2017, 01:03 PM
Speaking of nannerpuss, I hope all of Hugh freeze's children have a chance to get to know their daddy.

I'm sure these guys and their families love seeing this comment from the fan base of their college choice.

Todd4State
09-29-2017, 01:05 PM
Get used to this under Cann. And get used to getting a couple of them a year.

It's going to be a great time to be a MSU baseball fan.

HoopsDawg
09-29-2017, 01:06 PM
Ginn is the best chance due to his upbringing and most teams thinking he is a reliever.

HS relievers aren't highly valued and thus it may be in his best interest to come to school and prove he can start.

As did the others, Jackson has a chance because some teams aren't sure he can hit.

Hope Matt Luke's tenure is as successful as his predecessor's.

I think you meant that tongue in cheek, but it reads horribly. You should edit your post.

Commercecomet24
09-29-2017, 01:08 PM
I talk to JTs dad 3 or 4 times a week and as of this week he will be in Maroon and White. JT still wants to play a position and hit as well as pitch. We will allow him to do that. MLB wants him as a pitcher although a couple MLB teams have worked him at catcher. We are in great shape with JT. As shotgun said we have a great shot at Jackson getting to campus. Stewart probably 50/50. Winn probably headed to MLB.

HoopsDawg
09-29-2017, 01:08 PM
Carter Stewart may have the fastest spin rate on the planet with his curveball. It was measured faster than anyone in MLB. So he's gone. Jackson is gone. And I would guess Winn and Ginn are gone too. But it would be awesome if Ginn came to school for 3 years.

mstatefan91
09-29-2017, 01:16 PM
Political Hack doing work lmao

Commercecomet24
09-29-2017, 01:17 PM
Carter Stewart may have the fastest spin rate on the planet with his curveball. It was measured faster than anyone in MLB. So he's gone. Jackson is gone. And I would guess Winn and Ginn are gone too. But it would be awesome if Ginn came to school for 3 years.

JT would only have to stay 2 years because of his age and Birthday.

HoopsDawg
09-29-2017, 01:21 PM
JT would only have to stay 2 years because of his age and Birthday.

Ahh, that's interesting. I'm trying to put myself in his father's shoes and I truly believe I would send him to college for 2 years. That adjustment to the minors and that lifestyle is so tough. 2 years of college would be a great bridge. It would take a club going way over slot for me to encourage my son to go straight to the pros.

ShotgunDawg
09-29-2017, 01:22 PM
I'm sure these guys and their families love seeing this comment from the fan base of their college choice.

I think anyone that's realistic and not politically correct would realize that it's not offensive at all.

Perhaps I shouldn't have used the word, "hope" but injury is why Jordan Anderson got to campus and why Alex Bregman got to LSU. It's the reality and the kids realize that.

Commercecomet24
09-29-2017, 01:24 PM
Ahh, that's interesting. I'm trying to put myself in his father's shoes and I truly believe I would send him to college for 2 years. That adjustment to the minors and that lifestyle is so tough. 2 years of college would be a great bridge. It would take a club going way over slot for me to encourage my son to go straight to the pros.

You're a smart man, Hoops and so is Mike. That's the thinking on the families part.

That and JT really loves to hit. Lol

Homedawg
09-29-2017, 03:14 PM
other than ginn, barring injury, all of those are gone. Ginn keeps saying the right stuff. We shall see.

smootness
09-29-2017, 04:12 PM
I think anyone that's realistic and not politically correct would realize that it's not offensive at all.

Perhaps I shouldn't have used the word, "hope" but injury is why Jordan Anderson got to campus and why Alex Bregman got to LSU. It's the reality and the kids realize that.

Just stop talking about it.

Todd4State
09-29-2017, 04:42 PM
I talk to JTs dad 3 or 4 times a week and as of this week he will be in Maroon and White. JT still wants to play a position and hit as well as pitch. We will allow him to do that. MLB wants him as a pitcher although a couple MLB teams have worked him at catcher. We are in great shape with JT. As shotgun said we have a great shot at Jackson getting to campus. Stewart probably 50/50. Winn probably headed to MLB.

I don't think Winn even came on his official visit. I could be mistaken but I think he and Eric Cerentola who is from Canada were the only two that didn't make it. Winn is living in California so distance certainly could have been a factor.