PDA

View Full Version : Fitzgerald is the key to beating Auburn

Todd4State
09-29-2017, 01:26 AM
Unless something crazy and random that is unexpected- hey, it's sports- I think Fitz being able to make better reads and at least attempting to throw the ball downfield about 5-6 times could be the difference in us winning and losing. Everyone talks about Georgia's run defense but the fact of the matter is we had the SAME average YPC as Georgia did in that game despite Georgia having much higher profile running backs than MSU. Yes, we allowed 200 yards rushing but to me, if we're allowing 50 yards a quarter to a team that likes to run the ball- that's pretty good. If we do that to Auburn, I would be satisfied. They were efficient in the passing game- of course a chunk of that came off of a trick play and then they hurt us on crossing routes but we made some adjustments late and Fromm finished 0-3 and they weren't going to throw much late with a lead anyway. Unless Lane Kiffen is their OC.

The other side of that coin- the fact that we were able to run the ball on offense and average 4.8 YPC without much of a passing game against a defense that is pretty strong against the run is a good thing to me. I would suspect that after this three game stretch is over we're probably going to put up some pretty big rushing numbers similar to weeks 1-3. Of course that brings me back to my original point- we need to be able to attack deep a few times to help open up our running game. Even attempting to do so might open up things enough to be the difference in the game.

It's interesting to me look at the drive charts from this game. Our defense is much better than given credit for. We allowed 7 points off of a trick play, 14 points off of sustained drives- both of which were the first sustained drive to start the half. And yes, I know the trick play was technically the first drive of the half but since it was only one play we couldn't really tell what their tendencies were going to be so not too much to adjust to. The other 10 were on short fields due to turnovers including one where we forced a 49 yard FG attempt that they connected on. That tells me that we make pretty good adjustments. I think Georgia was conservative in large part because of the fear of us creating a turnover- which to me makes things easier to defend plus it also underscores how important it is for us to win the turnover battle.

Cooterpoot
09-29-2017, 03:07 AM
He's got no damn body to throw to and the OL can't block. Take away the 4th qtr and we didn't run the ball well.
People keep blaming Fitz, but we got bigger problems.

Leeshouldveflanked
09-29-2017, 05:25 AM
He's got no damn body to throw to and the OL can't block. Take away the 4th qtr and we didn't run the ball well.

^^^^^This all day^^^^^ WR's are not only not talented, they are poor route runners.OL is soft and slow.... Thanks Hev and Gonzo.

BrunswickDawg
09-29-2017, 06:31 AM
^^^^^This all day^^^^^ WR's are not only not talented, they are poor route runners.OL is soft and slow.... Thanks Hev and Gonzo.
The issue Saturday was that the UGA DBs were allowed to drape all over our receivers. They constantly had their bodies on the backs of our guys with no calls - just like their OL was holding all night. I'm not going to blame the refs for the loss, but they were letting the UGA DBs mug our guys and we never took advantage of it on our side.

Dawgface
09-29-2017, 07:02 AM
He's got no damn body to throw to and the OL can't block.

This in a nutshell.

ShotgunDawg
09-29-2017, 07:11 AM
The issue Saturday was that the UGA DBs were allowed to drape all over our receivers. They constantly had their bodies on the backs of our guys with no calls - just like their OL was holding all night. I'm not going to blame the refs for the loss, but they were letting the UGA DBs mug our guys and we never took advantage of it on our side.

That sounds like a well coached football team. Not sure why we wouldn't do the same.

BrunswickDawg
09-29-2017, 07:30 AM
That sounds like a well coached football team. Not sure why we wouldn't do the same.

I think that gets back to Mullen's risk averse style. He would rather not push the envelope and risk penalties. We played very tight with the DBs in the first game, then as soon as we got a PI in a critical moment in game 2, he backed off on the coverage and hasn't gone back to it since. Personally, I think if you are going to criticize Dan, that is the trait that needs the biggest adjustment.

PassInterference
09-29-2017, 07:48 AM

He has plenty of time if he makes better reads and doesn?t telegraph who to throw to. Fitz often doesn?t correctly anticipate who the defense is giving us to throw to, and is slow to decide who to throw to.

LC Dawg
09-29-2017, 07:50 AM
Is Gabe Myles back this week?

dawgclub99
09-29-2017, 07:52 AM
No doubt. We have to have a down field passing attack to open the field up for Fitz. Those safety's for UGA were able to stay too close to the line and that has to change if we are going to have the season that we want to have.

justwin
09-29-2017, 08:21 AM
Unless something crazy and random that is unexpected- hey, it's sports- I think Fitz being able to make better reads and at least attempting to throw the ball downfield about 5-6 times could be the difference in us winning and losing. Everyone talks about Georgia's run defense but the fact of the matter is we had the SAME average YPC as Georgia did in that game despite Georgia having much higher profile running backs than MSU. Yes, we allowed 200 yards rushing but to me, if we're allowing 50 yards a quarter to a team that likes to run the ball- that's pretty good. If we do that to Auburn, I would be satisfied. They were efficient in the passing game- of course a chunk of that came off of a trick play and then they hurt us on crossing routes but we made some adjustments late and Fromm finished 0-3 and they weren't going to throw much late with a lead anyway. Unless Lane Kiffen is their OC.

The other side of that coin- the fact that we were able to run the ball on offense and average 4.8 YPC without much of a passing game against a defense that is pretty strong against the run is a good thing to me. I would suspect that after this three game stretch is over we're probably going to put up some pretty big rushing numbers similar to weeks 1-3. Of course that brings me back to my original point- we need to be able to attack deep a few times to help open up our running game. Even attempting to do so might open up things enough to be the difference in the game.

It's interesting to me look at the drive charts from this game. Our defense is much better than given credit for. We allowed 7 points off of a trick play, 14 points off of sustained drives- both of which were the first sustained drive to start the half. And yes, I know the trick play was technically the first drive of the half but since it was only one play we couldn't really tell what their tendencies were going to be so not too much to adjust to. The other 10 were on short fields due to turnovers including one where we forced a 49 yard FG attempt that they connected on. That tells me that we make pretty good adjustments. I think Georgia was conservative in large part because of the fear of us creating a turnover- which to me makes things easier to defend plus it also underscores how important it is for us to win the turnover battle.

Fitz needs to run to the edges. First play vs TXAM & first play vs LSU is how we'll win. We didn't challenge UGAs outside LBs enough & they're better than auburns outside LBs.

BB30
09-29-2017, 08:29 AM
He has plenty of time if he makes better reads and doesn?t telegraph who to throw to. Fitz often doesn?t correctly anticipate who the defense is giving us to throw to, and is slow to decide who to throw to.

Yea, this wasn't the OLs problem against UGA they did a pretty decent job going up against one of the best DLs in the league. WR play was lacking and I honestly think we just came out flat. It won't surprise me if we look like a completely different team this weekend or get our skulls kicked in. Not really sure what to expect because we were so flat last weekend.

TrapGame
09-29-2017, 08:51 AM
Yea, this wasn't the OLs problem against UGA they did a pretty decent job going up against one of the best DLs in the league. WR play was lacking and I honestly think we just came out flat. It won't surprise me if we look like a completely different team this weekend or get our skulls kicked in. Not really sure what to expect because we were so flat last weekend.

Me too. I don't know how to read this game. Either we look really good and it's a close game or we get punked again for a beat down.

thf24
09-29-2017, 08:57 AM

So our OL dominating LSU + not playing their best game against arguably the second best front 7 in the conference in UGA = can't block? Got it.

Cooterpoot
09-29-2017, 08:57 AM

No he doesn't. He had to dump the ball due to pressure constantly vs GA. Just because he didn't get sacked, doesn't mean the line is blocking well. He avoided the sack by dumping it off numerous times.

PassInterference
09-29-2017, 09:08 AM
No he doesn't. He had to dump the ball due to pressure constantly vs GA. Just because he didn't get sacked, doesn't mean the line is blocking well. He avoided the sack by dumping it off numerous times.

Many of those dump-offs are because he doesn't make the right read and/or make a decision quick enough to get the ball to an open guy downfield. This is hard to pick up on TV because the camera isn't downfield before the pass. It is quite evident watching games in person. Happened all game long against LSU. Happened a lot last year too.

TimberBeast
09-29-2017, 09:24 AM
Many of those dump-offs are because he doesn't make the right read and/or make a decision quick enough to get the ball to an open guy downfield. This is hard to pick up on TV because the camera isn't downfield before the pass. It is quite evident watching games in person. Happened all game long against LSU. Happened a lot last year too.

You have to have at least some sort of time to make a quick decision.

CarolinaDawgs
09-29-2017, 09:32 AM
Fitzgerald is the key to beating Auburn

UHHHHH YA THINK?

You have to have at least some sort of time to make a quick decision.

Did I miss the part where he was snapping the ball and immediately getting hit?

Where'sWaldo
09-29-2017, 09:39 AM

This is about as clueless as you can get. The O line played well enough to win. Gave Fitz time in the pocket and consistently produced positive yardage in the ground game. We are never going to be able
To run over the likes of Georgia, Auburn, and Bama being one dimensional. Fitz needs to improve in ten passing game and get the ball Out on time and or receivers need to do a better job getting open. Fitz didn't take the jump in passing I expected and he deserves some of the blame for the lack of a passing threat. The rest of the blame goes to subpar receivers. Very little to none of it should go on the o line.

BankerDog
09-29-2017, 09:40 AM

We averaged 4.8 YPC against the second best defense in the SEC with no outside threat. Come back to this thread when you know football.

Hasu Dackds
09-29-2017, 10:33 AM
So our OL dominating LSU + not playing their best game against arguably the second best front 7 in the conference in UGA = can't block? Got it.
Auburn gonna be more of the same, that's why this comparison is valid

MarketingBully
09-29-2017, 10:35 AM

Nope. Incorrect. UGA had 0 QB hurries as well. Fitz didn’t make the right reads in the passing game but he did have time in the pocket to throw. He basically checked down way too early instead of giving his routes time to develop. If we are going to be a 10-2 team instead of an 8-4 team, we need Fitz to make that next step and audible out of plays depending on what the defense shows and improve as a passer. We basically need his decision making to be where Dak was his RS Junior season. I think a lot of our problems our WRs had was the physical nature of UGAs DBs with contact way before the ball got there and borderline PIs that should have been called. The only other team that uses that mentality is Alabama.

MarketingBully
09-29-2017, 10:42 AM

Because only Alabama can get away with that type of contact wherever they play. UGA won’t get away with that this weekend and the only reason they got away with it against us is they were the home team and a name SEC school against us. I bet we see a few PIs called this weekend on UGA at Tennessee. Wouldn’t surprise me. Auburn doesn’t play that style of defense in the secondary. This isn’t the NFL. Those are PI penalties in college. My main gripe with Mullen is he didn’t lose it on the refs considering UGA was assraping us with holds on our DL and PIs on our receivers.

MarketingBully
09-29-2017, 10:43 AM
Auburn gonna be more of the same, that's why this comparison is valid

UGA has two of the best OLB/edge rushers in the nation much less the conference.

Bothrops
09-29-2017, 10:44 AM
Fitz was not throwing to the right side much against Georgia, where we had receivers and TE momentarily open at times. I remember one play in the redzone, first half, where #18 was wide open for an easy td, but was unaccounted for because Fitz was focused left. He was uncomfortable and pressing all night.

MarketingBully
09-29-2017, 10:51 AM
Fitz was not throwing to the right side much against Georgia, where we had receivers and TE momentarily open at times. I remember one play in the redzone, first half, where #18 was wide open for an easy td, but was unaccounted for because Fitz was focused left. He was uncomfortable and pressing all night.

I think he put too much pressure on himself especially considering it was Georgia a school he grew up a fan of and they snubbed him. He also had more family and friends at that game then any other game he has played. I think all the hype got to him. I think we see a different Fitz this weekend.

LC Dawg
09-29-2017, 10:58 AM
We need a couple of turnovers to create some short fields for us and we can't waste these opportunities if we get them. Combine that with no turnovers for us and Logan Cooke pinning them back consistently and we will win this game. If we lose the turnover battle we probably lose the game by 20+.

Hasu Dackds
09-29-2017, 11:00 AM
Yep.

NCDawg
09-29-2017, 11:07 AM

I agree. Apparently you and I were watching the same game.

raymond21
09-29-2017, 11:12 AM
TE's must be a factor in the pass game . Only way that happens is they do t have to stay in and pass protect.

Cooterpoot
09-29-2017, 11:13 AM
Nope. Incorrect. UGA had 0 QB hurries as well. Fitz didn’t make the right reads in the passing game but he did have time in the pocket to throw. He basically checked down way too early instead of giving his routes time to develop. If we are going to be a 10-2 team instead of an 8-4 team, we need Fitz to make that next step and audible out of plays depending on what the defense shows and improve as a passer. We basically need his decision making to be where Dak was his RS Junior season. I think a lot of our problems our WRs had was the physical nature of UGAs DBs with contact way before the ball got there and borderline PIs that should have been called. The only other team that uses that mentality is Alabama.

Carter was blowing around end all night and blitzes up the middle were in his face all night. I've watched it a few times and he's rushed as many times as he checked down intentionally. Let's not pretend the OL hasn't had some issues in other games. And let's also not pretend that LSU is legit this year, they're not. Aries and Fitz combined for a 3.3 average. We don't win when Fitz doesn't average 6. He was at 4.7. Aries was 2.2 per carry and Hill was 3 per carry. Gibson got yards in the 4th quarter. Without that, our rushing game was garbage.
I saw Fitz make some damn good throws that our midgets couldn't catch and some the defense made some plays on because our WRs just flat out suck ass.
I really believe AU is going to destroy our OL. They did last year and they will this year. Here's to hoping I'm dead ass wrong....

TrapGame
09-29-2017, 11:30 AM

Late in the 2nd quarter he forced one to DG while he was covered like a biscuit in gravy for an incomplete pass trying for a td while Farrod was wide open in the flat for an easy 1st down and possible decent YAC.

msbulldog
09-29-2017, 12:13 PM

That was not borderline PI that was blatant and you are right K. Smart learned it from Saban. If you do it every play the refs aren't going to call PI every play.

Leroy Jenkins
09-29-2017, 12:47 PM
We averaged 4.8 YPC against the second best defense in the SEC with no outside threat. Come back to this thread when you know football.

How much of that was in garbage time, after UGA had let up? I can't go back and watch the game to find out, I immediately deleted it. Im sure some of the sadistic types here have subjected themselves to the replay and have the answer.

NCDawg
09-29-2017, 01:28 PM
How much of that was in garbage time, after UGA had let up? I can't go back and watch the game to find out, I immediately deleted it. Im sure some of the sadistic types here have subjected themselves to the replay and have the answer.

You're right. Lots of State fans point out YPC and how good we did, but we did most of it during "garbage time" when Georgia had their substitutes in the game. We like to point that out, but it doesn't mean doodlum squat in my opinion. Face the facts, we got blown out.

Turfdawg67
09-29-2017, 02:35 PM

... or don't come back at all. Wouldn't hurt my feelings at all. Like a broken record until we win... then silence.