PDA

View Full Version : Interesting stats heading into Auburn + #1 Key to us having offensive production

calidawg
09-28-2017, 03:26 PM
Auburn is #1 in SEC is rushing defense

State is last in SEC in yards per attempt passing the ball

Bulldogs 91st in country in explosive offense
Auburn 119th in explosive offense
(explosive offense defined as rushing attempts > 12 yards and passing attempts >20 yards)

Auburn #1 in nation in points allowed within the 40 yard line.

Georgia's talented and athletic linebackers gave us fits and Auburns front 7 is just as good if not better. Bottom Line - if we can't connect in the mid to long passing game to get auburns linebackers on their heels, we will not be scoring many points. This game could very well be a slog it out 13-10 type ball game.

maroonmania
09-28-2017, 04:04 PM

(explosive offense defined as rushing attempts > 12 yards and passing attempts >20 yards)

Georgia's talented and athletic linebackers gave us fits and Auburns front 7 is just as good if not better. Bottom Line - if we can't connect in the mid to long passing game to get auburns linebackers on their heels, we will not be scoring many points. This game could very well be a slog it out 13-10 type ball game.

I think the only way we can win is a low scoring defensive slugfest. Personally, I will very pleasantly surprised if we even stay in this one. Hate to be pessimistic but this seems like a really bad matchup for us especially coming off 2 really tough SEC teams while Auburn got ready for us with the likes of Mercer and Missouri. I'm sure they are physically drained after those 2 stellar opponents.

TrapGame
09-28-2017, 04:08 PM
I think the only way we can win is a low scoring defensive slugfest. Personally, I will very pleasantly surprised if we even stay in this one. Hate to be pessimistic but this seems like a really bad matchup for us especially coming off 2 really tough SEC teams while Auburn got ready for us with the likes of Mercer and Missouri. I'm sure they are physically drained after those 2 stellar opponents.

Yep, like I posted earlier, if we play very well and keep it within 7 I'll be satisfied.

Jack Lambert
09-28-2017, 04:10 PM

But on the other hand they might have developed a false sense invincibility.

Perpetual Underachiever
09-28-2017, 05:21 PM

I'd venture to guess that we are dead last in passes > 20yds? I can only think of a couple attempts all year

WSOPdawg
09-28-2017, 05:49 PM
I just keep thinking back to last year's 35-0 score at the half and wonder how much we've closed the gap. Defensively, we have (closed the gap) but offensively, we've gotta do something different than last year's game plan. I felt this was the most difficult of this 3-game stretch all along.

Skydawg1
09-28-2017, 05:51 PM
But on the other hand they might have developed a false sense invincibility.Yeah, like State did last week.

RocketDawg
09-28-2017, 06:32 PM
Yep, like I posted earlier, if we play very well and keep it within 7 I'll be satisfied.

I won't be satisfied, but it'd be better than being blown out like last week.

TrapGame
09-28-2017, 06:43 PM
I won't be satisfied, but it'd be better than being blown out like last week.

I know. But after last week I'm tempering my expectations. Meat Loaf says 2 outta 3 ain't bad but TrapGame says 1 outta 3 works in this situation.

Bothrops
09-28-2017, 09:43 PM
We will either take this opportunity to put forth the effort, and have a special season, or we won't.

justwin
09-28-2017, 10:15 PM

We need to run it more. Especially to the edges earlier. Fitz & Aeris had 37 carries vs LSU but only 21 vs UGA. We're most explosive with nick on the edges vs LBs & cbs with everybody blocking to seal the edges. We left at least 5 big plays on the field 1st half by Fitz giving vs pulling. That opens up everything. Fitz threw 29 vs UGA which is too many. Defensively, our two best tackling cbs are2 &13, they need to start and play 1st two series of the game to establish the edge vs kerryon.

Is gabe going to play?

TUSK
09-28-2017, 10:50 PM
I feel confident yall won't be down 35-0 at the half...

I don't believe MSU will be able to run the ball effectively UNLESS Fitz can be more accurate....

MSU can win the game, but only if they can throw some with success.

AU is gonna run it.. A lot... if that doesn't work, they'll run it some more. Then, if AU is ahead or not too far behind, they gonna run it.

NCDawg
09-29-2017, 12:58 AM

I won't be satisfied with any kind of loss. Mullen has been at State 9 years, is getting paid almost 5M a year, so I think it's time he started beating some of these so called "big" teams that the gurus say we aren't supposed to beat.

Todd4State
09-29-2017, 01:04 AM
I won't be satisfied with any kind of loss. Mullen has been at State 9 years, is getting paid almost 5M a year, so I think it's time he started beating some of these so called "big" teams that the gurus say we aren't supposed to beat.

The truth is we have to start recruiting more complete teams and manage our roster better. We reduce our chances when we have a year or two where we have smurfs at WR and we're missing on a high percentage of our o-line targets.

Play calling looks a lot "worse" or "conservative" when you aren't able to move the ball because of personnel.

Dawgfan77
09-29-2017, 08:03 AM
If dan Mullen from 2010-11 shows up and RTGDFB we have a chance If dan Mullen of 14-present shows up well then.... we are a team built to run. Look at how big out OL is and we lack physical WR but have some damn good TEs. Line up and run the damn ball. Be patient and work to control the los. This team is better on O than those Relph lead teams. We just get away from the run to quickly

TrapGame
09-29-2017, 08:45 AM

We did two Saturdays ago.

Everybody talked about being happy just to beat one out of the three before the bye week and now everyone thinks we're awesome since we did get that one win. Beating AU is gravy now. And, by the way, Dan has beaten Auburn before.

Quaoarsking
09-29-2017, 11:03 AM
And, by the way, Dan has beaten Auburn before.

3 times, with 3 more slipped away in the closing minute. Dan has generally had us competitive with Auburn, and I think we'll at least be competitive again tomorrow.

TrapGame
09-29-2017, 11:32 AM
3 times, with 3 more slipped away in the closing minute. Dan has generally had us competitive with Auburn, and I think we'll at least be competitive again tomorrow.

100% agree. Last year was an anomaly on our recent games v. AU.

Noah11
09-29-2017, 12:07 PM
We need to run it more. Especially to the edges earlier. Fitz & Aeris had 37 carries vs LSU but only 21 vs UGA. We're most explosive with nick on the edges vs LBs & cbs with everybody blocking to seal the edges. We left at least 5 big plays on the field 1st half by Fitz giving vs pulling. That opens up everything. Fitz threw 29 vs UGA which is too many. Defensively, our two best tackling cbs are2 &13, they need to start and play 1st two series of the game to establish the edge vs kerryon.

Is gabe going to play?

i was told by Gabe himself that he is going to try to play this week. We could definitely use him.

PMDawg
09-29-2017, 01:28 PM
I feel confident yall won't be down 35-0 at the half...

I don't believe MSU will be able to run the ball effectively UNLESS Fitz can be more accurate....

MSU can win the game, but only if they can throw some with success.

AU is gonna run it.. A lot... if that doesn't work, they'll run it some more. Then, if AU is ahead or not too far behind, they gonna run it.

Yep. And we never saw anything close last week. Should have been targeting the TEs in the seams or flats, but they were nowhere to be found. In 9 seasons, Dan has yet to figure out how to attack different defenses differently. Either his offense works, or it doesn't. He ain't changing it. That's a big part of why we're 0-8 vs. Alabama. That's why we got blown out last week, and that's why we will get blown out this week. He won't change anything. Our offense won't work tomorrow. Maybe the defense can score enough for us to win. Otherwise, it will be another long day.

tcdog70
09-29-2017, 03:23 PM
they have played 3 shitty teams. Don't be afraid-we will whip their ass. Mercer and Mizzo they sux. One good team Clemson--

NCDawg
09-29-2017, 03:39 PM
We did two Saturdays ago.

Everybody talked about being happy just to beat one out of the three before the bye week and now everyone thinks we're awesome since we did get that one win. Beating AU is gravy now. And, by the way, Dan has beaten Auburn before.

Beating AU is gravy now? It's not to me, but I suppose it is to a lot of State fans. It wouldn't be to Alabama or some of the more "established" teams. Think I would rather beat Auburn than just about any other team, except Ole Miss and Alabama.

TrapGame
09-29-2017, 03:43 PM
Beating AU is gravy now? It's not to me, but I suppose it is to a lot of State fans. It wouldn't be to Alabama or some of the more "established" teams. Think I would rather beat Auburn than just about any other team, except Ole Miss and Alabama.

Well, we beat LSU. We met our quota.

If we march into Jordan-Hare and whip AU, more power to us. I ain't holding my breath. I damn near died last Saturday.