PDA

View Full Version : That's it for me and men's college roundball.

AlmostPositive
09-27-2017, 11:58 AM
NCAA men's basketball is a cesspool at the highest levels. Even if your own team doesn't cheat, they are playing teams that do. Enough is enough, I'm checking out.

To be honest, the last six or seven years of MSU basketball have been hard to enjoy, so the recent corruption charges are only the final straw.

State fans have a compelling women's team to follow, so we are much luckier than most....

smootness
09-27-2017, 12:01 PM
NCAA men's basketball is a cesspool at the highest levels. Even if your own team doesn't cheat, they are playing teams that do. Enough is enough, I'm checking out.

To be honest, the last six or seven years of MSU basketball have been hard to enjoy, so the recent corruption charges are only the final straw.

State fans have a compelling women's team to follow, so we are much luckier than most....

You're done now that it looks like something's being done about it?

College basketball has been a cesspool for a long time. It seems now might be the time to start enjoying it.

AlmostPositive
09-27-2017, 12:03 PM

College basketball has been a cesspool for a long time. It seems now might be the time to start enjoying it.

You seem well-informed...let me know when they have it cleaned up...

Dawg61
09-27-2017, 12:04 PM

Don't stop her she's on a roll

AlmostPositive
09-27-2017, 12:07 PM
Don't stop her she's on a roll

Is assuming female gender your idea of an insult?

mstatefan91
09-27-2017, 12:08 PM
Ahh the inevitable "I'm done with this sport" post.

See you in the basketball threads ;)

Dawgface
09-27-2017, 12:10 PM

Might as well check out of college football too while you're at it.

AlmostPositive
09-27-2017, 12:11 PM
Ahh the inevitable "I'm done with this sport" post.

See you in the basketball threads ;)

For women's hoops, sure. Otherwise, not at all likely.

AlmostPositive
09-27-2017, 12:11 PM
Might as well check out of college football too while you're at it.

Everything is the same in your eyes?

Edited to add: If I were an Ole Miss football fan, I would have already walked away. NcAA men's basketball is MUCH worse, for lots of reasons.

BeardoMSU
09-27-2017, 12:12 PM
https://media.giphy.com/media/2ept7eRuyq98s/200.gif

Dawg-gone-dawgs
09-27-2017, 12:12 PM
So what are your options? The NBA? Sheesh if you think college basketball is corrupt....

Dawg61
09-27-2017, 12:13 PM

No you're female correct? It'd be rude for me to call you a he if you're a she. If I am incorrect I apologize.

mstatefan91
09-27-2017, 12:28 PM
I guess I don't understand why you would punish our university and our guys if we are doing it the right way.. But that's just me

Maroonthirteen
09-27-2017, 12:31 PM
As was mentioned in the other thread, get rid of the 1and done. Let all the top talent go directly to the NBA or Dleague and be done with it. It would allow those kids to deal with the shoe companies right of high school and remove The shoe company reps and agents from college basketball recruiting.

parabrave
09-27-2017, 12:49 PM

Said this years ago that AAU would be the death knell of not only college BB but also the NBA.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
09-27-2017, 12:52 PM
As was mentioned in the other thread, get rid of the 1and done. Let all the top talent go directly to the NBA or Dleague and be done with it. It would allow those kids to deal with the shoe companies right of high school and remove The shoe company reps and agents from college basketball recruiting.

This really is the best route to go now I think

Dawgface
09-27-2017, 12:56 PM
Everything is the same in your eyes?

Edited to add: If I were an Ole Miss football fan, I would have already walked away. NcAA men's basketball is MUCH worse, for lots of reasons.

Cheating....yes. Perhaps different degrees of it, but it's there.

HoopsDawg
09-27-2017, 12:59 PM
When the money gets big, shady shit happens. Doesn't matter what job, sport, or subject you are talking about.

AlmostPositive
09-27-2017, 01:47 PM
'This may be the biggest college sports story of our lifetime'

"going to be tremendous fallout...far far beyond the first four schools."

https://sports.yahoo.com/deep-will-recruiting-scandal-go-may-biggest-college-sports-story-lifetime-220742127.html

CarolinaDawgs
09-27-2017, 01:57 PM

I love the idea of getting rid of the 1&Done rule. It hasn't done any good to CBB since it started, but if you think that means the shoe companies wouldnt be involved in the recruiting process I'm not sure you would be correct. The only reason the 1&Dones are valued so high and drafted in the lottery is because the NBA see's them preform highly at a higher level than HS.

My opinion is that fewer (kids that would typically be top 10 picks after 1 year in in Cbb) will be drafted in the top 10 after High School. Therefore, those guys that aren't getting drafted are still going to be able to receive the same benefits but for 3 years instead of 1. (Just my take on the matter.)

Unless the NBA team execs have suddenly come to grips that they can waste 1 of their 2 draft picks on a kid they've seen at summer showcases and in HS Bball.

Dawg61
09-27-2017, 02:14 PM
NBA needs a better minor league system. An NBA roster is 15 players compared to 25 for MLB yet there's multiple levels of minor leagues for each team in the MLB yet only one level for NBA and it only has 22 teams. This is the biggest reason for the NBA and college having these problems imo. All of these players getting paid under the table would be in the minor leagues getting paid legally in baseball. I think the biggest failure in all of this is the NBA not protecting its future players by developing a better minor league system. They are every bit to blame for this shit system and need to be called out for it.

Hasu Dackds
09-27-2017, 02:21 PM
This was already how it was.....the NBA screwed everything up when they changed the rule to 19.

Hasu Dackds
09-27-2017, 02:22 PM
Let the NBA and NFL take who they want from the get-go, and the money goes WAAAAAY down. If they both had minor league systems, college ball could stay amateur.

MLB and college baseball have the perfect system.

Dawg61
09-27-2017, 02:33 PM

No you're female correct? It'd be rude for me to call you a he if you're a she. If I am incorrect I apologize.

And crickets which is an answer in itself.

Bothrops
09-27-2017, 02:39 PM

I see that you've anticipated our involvement is this mess. Have you consulted with Cohen or Howland? I'd like to know what you know. Feel free to PM me.

MarketingBully
09-27-2017, 02:41 PM
I see that you've anticipated our involvement is this mess. Have you consulted with Cohen or Howland? I'd like to know what you know. Feel free to PM me.

He doesn’t know shit.

AlmostPositive
09-27-2017, 02:42 PM

No reason for you to feel threatened. I stated my opinion very clearly with exactly zero aspersions toward our program... you are free to disagree or ignore.

AlmostPositive
09-27-2017, 02:45 PM
And crickets which is an answer in itself.

Of course you are wrong, but I'm sure you're used to that.

More importantly, it would seem that you inadvertently answered the original question in the affirmative.

99jc
09-27-2017, 02:50 PM
Everything in this world is corrupt. Religion is corrupt.....politics are corrupt ....the geneticly modified food we eat is corrupt...sports has been corrupted for years it's just being exposed now. I wouldn't watch the NBA if they paid me. I gave up MLB years ago even though I played pro ball once. Everything is associated with greed and it's only going to get worse.

Hasu Dackds
09-27-2017, 02:53 PM
Agreed. A legit LOL at all the moral police showing up over this incident. May as well give up all sports, at least any you would watch on TV

Dawg61
09-27-2017, 02:59 PM
More importantly, it would seem that you inadvertently answered the original question in the affirmative.

Can someone decipher this for me

https://media.giphy.com/media/blEl99OgPQnNS/giphy.gif

HereComesTheSpiral
09-27-2017, 03:17 PM
I checked out of college basketball because it has gotten about as entertaining as watching paint dry with fouls called everytime someone sneezes or farts on the court.

fader2103
09-27-2017, 04:17 PM
I think Andy would jump. The boosters obviously care more about women's BBall than men's. I mean they hire women's BBall coaches for football and cheat for them.

Anonymous
09-28-2017, 05:17 AM

Not to be blunt but, why? As an Adidas school we (hypothetically cough) benefit from this more than most. We are one of the larger Adidas contracts, if anything this shady business would level the playing field for us. Honestly, without the ability to bribe recruits, there would probably be even worse talent distribution than there already is.

So honestly all the FBI stuff is only good bews if you want to see U.K., Duke, UNC, etc... dominate more than they already are. I say pay the kids, allow them to earn the value of their skills and make college athletics competitive.

raymond21
09-28-2017, 06:17 AM

College basketball has been corrupt for years. Rick Ray didn't participate in AAU nor with these shoe companies and look at the product he put on the court. I gave up on basketball several years ago because it had become so corrupt, one sided. No way Kentucky , Kansas and many others won't have some casualties from this. Hopefully in time, the game gets back to where it's fun to watch again

Political Hack
09-28-2017, 07:55 AM
Outside of State and the ncaa tourney I haven't watched college basketball in years. Basketball was my favorite sport growing up but it's a bastardized version of itself. After the Bad Boys went through Detroit they softened the game. Can't even hand check anymore? What the hell is that about? You can't touch the offensive player? Seriously? I played when a foul was actually a foul. The game sucks compared to what it once was and on top of that it's corrupt as shit.

I played on a state championship aau team and I can promise you Nike, Addidas, and Reebok weren't sitting in the stands throwing out shoe deals to the 16 year olds back then. Kentucky and Nike started this shit, but there's a ZERO percent chance the NCAA would go after UK because the Big Blue Nation packs the house come tournament time. They bring in a lot of money for the NCAA. A lot. FBI may not give them a choice now, so maybe the NCAA will have to clean it up. I wish I knew the percentage of the NCAA budget that was dependent on basketball, but I'm not sure what it is. I do know it brings in most of the NCAA budget though. They're not going to bite the hand that feeds them. That's why basketball is allowed to be corrupt as hell, yet Ole Miss is about to get a death penalty or the closest thing to it in football for a few cars, a house, $10-$15k payouts, hookers, drugs, ... nevermind, that's pretty bad. They deserve what they get.

KB21
09-28-2017, 08:53 AM
Not to be blunt but, why? As an Adidas school we (hypothetically cough) benefit from this more than most. We are one of the larger Adidas contracts, if anything this shady business would level the playing field for us. Honestly, without the ability to bribe recruits, there would probably be even worse talent distribution than there already is.

So honestly all the FBI stuff is only good bews if you want to see U.K., Duke, UNC, etc... dominate more than they already are. I say pay the kids, allow them to earn the value of their skills and make college athletics competitive.

Then you don't give them scholarship money. These athletes should not get paid on top of getting a full scholarship to college. If you pay them, have them pay their tuition, room and board, and books out of their "salary". This would also require each institution to file a 1099 form on every athlete.

AlmostPositive
09-28-2017, 09:03 AM
Then you don't give them scholarship money. These athletes should not get paid on top of getting a full scholarship to college. If you pay them, have them pay their tuition, room and board, and books out of their "salary". This would also require each institution to file a 1099 form on every athlete.

And if you're paying them you can fire them. Miss three free throws in a row, you're docked. Miss five, adios. As suggested here more than once, let the NBA run its on farm system and pay whatever they want and let the colleges avoid the pitfalls of paying players market value.

Political Hack
09-28-2017, 09:12 AM
And if you're paying them you can fire them. Miss three free throws in a row, you're docked. Miss five, adios. As suggested here more than once, let the NBA run its on farm system and pay whatever they want and let the colleges avoid the pitfalls of paying players market value.

It's already that way. Kids get "processed" if their performance suffers. Happens regularly in basketball & baseball and fairly often in football too.

MarketingBully
09-28-2017, 09:48 AM
The real corruption and why it accelerated to this point is Coach Cal and World Wide Wes and it started to go to shit when Dajuan Wagner chose Memphis and World Wide Wes and Cal met. It was put into a further accelerated mode at the start of the one and done era. The ones getting paid and getting caught up in all of this shit will always be those top 10 players in every class. Just assume the top ten players in every class are paid and you will be correct. If you notice, Duke got in this game about five years ago. They are just as dirty as anyone else. Kentucky is the worst culprit and is why Pitino got fired from Louisville as he was trying to keep up with the Joneses. Nike is 1000x worse then Adidas and it is laughable the FBI is going after Adidas first. If the FBI doesn’t touch Kentucky or Duke, this whole investigation is a farce.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
09-28-2017, 09:48 AM
Everything in this world is corrupt. Religion is corrupt.....politics are corrupt ....the geneticly modified food we eat is corrupt...sports has been corrupted for years it's just being exposed now. I wouldn't watch the NBA if they paid me. I gave up MLB years ago even though I played pro ball once. Everything is associated with greed and it's only going to get worse.

A voice of reason^^^

Dawg61
09-28-2017, 11:33 AM
It is interesting that Adidas is the first target since they're a German based company while everyone knows Nike has been the the biggest violator over the last twenty years. There's a damn 30 for 30 about Nike/Air Jordan starting all this shit.

Anonymous
09-28-2017, 12:32 PM

Again, why? Anyone else can get scholarship money while working a job.