PDA

View Full Version : Four College Basketball Coaches Arrested

GhostRider
09-26-2017, 09:03 AM
According to Dan Wetzel tweet, "US Atty says federal charges brought against four college basketball coaches, plus managers, financial advisors, reps of sportswear company". This could be interesting. Chuck Person at Auburn is one of the coaches.

http://www.al.com/auburnbasketball/index.ssf/2017/09/auburn_assistant_chuck_person.html

1bigdawg
09-26-2017, 09:09 AM
More on this:
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-09-26/u-s-announces-crackdown-on-kickbacks-in-college-basketball-j81mv20v

Liverpooldawg
09-26-2017, 09:09 AM
What are they accused of doing exactly? Is this gambling related or what?

Liverpooldawg
09-26-2017, 09:11 AM
What are they accused of doing exactly? Is this gambling related or what?

Never mind, second article explained it. If Pearl gets caught in that he is done, for good this time.

Liverpooldawg
09-26-2017, 09:15 AM
I wonder if they are looking at other sports? Like maybe a football program nearby?

GhostRider
09-26-2017, 09:20 AM
Here is the complaint form:

https://www.justice.gov/usao-sdny/press-release/file/998751/download

KentuckyDawg13
09-26-2017, 09:24 AM
They should look at a certain AAU coach too.

Irondawg
09-26-2017, 09:41 AM
Well honestly they could probably catch about every too 25 program and even us in something like this. It's pretty much the norm I thought. I don't think we attract some of the guys we have without Addidas influence and likewise at many other programs

Ifyouonlyknew
09-26-2017, 09:47 AM
Well honestly they could probably catch about every too 25 program and even us in something like this. It's pretty much the norm I thought. I don't think we attract some of the guys we have without Addidas influence and likewise at many other programs

There is a big difference between the normal everyday college recruiting & the head of shoe companies coming in to help you broker deals.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
09-26-2017, 09:48 AM
Geezus Auburn has a lot of smoke coming from their athletic department lately.

Dallas_Dawg
09-26-2017, 09:50 AM
Geezus Auburn has a lot of smoke coming from their athletic department lately.

Ross Bdork says thank you War Eagle

TUSK
09-26-2017, 09:58 AM
"bushiness manager".....

Hell, I'm one of those... and I have references...

MetEdDawg
09-26-2017, 09:58 AM
How Jay Jacobs survives this will be interesting. Chuck allegedly received $100K from a cooperating FBI witness. He's so screwed and you know others were involved.

Lumpy Chucklelips
09-26-2017, 10:24 AM
Here is the complaint form:

Most interesting thing in there is that a Capone is now an Asst. U.S. Attorney. That family has made a tremendous turnaround over the years*.

Mimi's Babies
09-26-2017, 10:28 AM
Might want to take a read of Page 9... (footnote)

Spiderman
09-26-2017, 10:34 AM
Howland has to be nervous.

This is a big ole shite sammich, and a bunch of folks are gonna have to take a bite

Dawg-gone-dawgs
09-26-2017, 10:38 AM
Here is the Adidas dirt

https://infoforyour.com/jim-gatto-5-fast-facts-you-need-to-know/

MarketingBully
09-26-2017, 10:52 AM
So the FBI is doing the NCAA’s dirty work for them. This is college basketball recruiting folks. Interesting that Adidas mentions Louisville but you could add Kansas to that list and Kentucky, Duke, and North Carolina to the Nike list. If they are only going after Adidas this sounds more like a hit job from Nike more then anything. Nike officials are just as corrupt and just as dirty.

Ifyouonlyknew
09-26-2017, 10:54 AM

This is a big ole shite sammich, and a bunch of folks are gonna have to take a bite

Ehh yes & no. It's never good when your parent shoe company is in a scandal. However we haven't signed anyone of this caliber where we needed outside help to broker a deal. All our top signees have been homegrown legacy players. That doesn't require help from outside the family.

MarketingBully
09-26-2017, 10:55 AM

We’re small potatoes. They are going after Louisville, Kansas, and Arizona it looks like. Very odd Auburn is mentioned in this since they are Under Armor. Person must have been really dumb to get caught up in this.

MarketingBully
09-26-2017, 10:56 AM
Ehh yes & no. It's never good when your parent shoe company is in a scandal. However we haven't signed anyone of this caliber where we needed outside help to broker a deal. All our top signees have been homegrown legacy players. That doesn't require help from outside the family.

Agreed. I’d say Arizona, Kansas, and Louisville should be much more worried then us.

TUSK
09-26-2017, 10:56 AM
So the FBI is doing the NCAA’s dirty work for them.

This has gone for some time. The FBI took part in the Bammer investigation back in the ~90s-00s...

Ifyouonlyknew
09-26-2017, 10:57 AM
We’re small potatoes. They are going after Louisville, Kansas, and Arizona it looks like. Very odd Auburn is mentioned in this since they are Under Armor. Person must have been really dumb to get caught up in this.

I wouldn't say we're small potatoes. Schools like South Carolina, Oklahoma St, & Miami are involved & they aren't exactly basketball royalty. We just haven't been out here wilding like some of these guys have.

Ifyouonlyknew
09-26-2017, 10:57 AM
Agreed. I’d say Arizona, Kansas, and Louisville should be much more worried then us.

Kansas hasn't been mentioned at all.

MarketingBully
09-26-2017, 10:58 AM
This has gone for some time. The FBI took part in the Bammer investigation back in the ~90s-00s...

Personally, I would hope the FBI has more important things to worry about then dirty recruiting in college sports.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
09-26-2017, 11:01 AM
Personally, I would hope the FBI has more important things to worry about then dirty recruiting in college sports.

I'm sure they have more than enough resources to devote to many things.

dickiedawg
09-26-2017, 11:05 AM
One of the defendants noted the university was already on probation and they would have to be ?particularly careful? in funneling the money

? Jason Riley (@JasonRileyWDRB) September 26, 2017

This refers to Louisville, in an allegedly recorded meeting, discussing a 6 figure payout to a recruit. We may wind up testing the theory that the death penalty is permanently off the table.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
09-26-2017, 11:09 AM
This refers to Louisville, in an allegedly recorded meeting, discussing a 6 figure payout to a recruit. We may wind up testing the theory that the death penalty is permanently off the table.

I noticed this too. Louisville is absolutely done. Their message boards are melting like an ice cube on a hot stove. It's really bad.

Mimi's Babies
09-26-2017, 11:14 AM
http://www.espn.com/espn/print?id=20824193

Au, OK State, AZ and USC.... to name a few

Maroonthirteen
09-26-2017, 11:20 AM
Wow! Most interesting in all this, is that this case will establish that payments to prospective players to attend a university of the payees interest, is in fact a bribe.

Also, said bribes are a part of a scheme that DEFRAUDS the universities involved.

All this time I wondered where the nexus would be to make paying players criminal. However this case could establish case law that payments to players are bribes (illegal) and to enter into an agreement is a conspiracy that defrauds a public institution.

Anyone that engages in paying players from this case forward can be subject to a criminal investigation now. Huge! HUGE! Case for the NCAA, boosters, perspective student athletes and universities. If I'm a compliance director at any school, I'm telling my boosters you can be subject to criminal prosecution for extra benefits.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
09-26-2017, 11:24 AM
I just wonder if players on current rosters were also paid to leave and go to other schools? We've had a few "decide" to leave.

Liverpooldawg
09-26-2017, 11:30 AM
Wow! Most interesting in all this, is that this case will establish that payments to prospective players to attend a university of the payees interest, is in fact a bribe.

Also, said bribes are a part of a scheme that DEFRAUDS the universities involved.

All this time I wondered where the nexus would be to make paying players criminal. However this case could establish case law that payments to players are bribes (illegal) and to enter into an agreement is a conspiracy that defrauds a public institution.

Anyone that engages in paying players from this case forward can be subject to a criminal investigation now. Huge! HUGE! Case for the NCAA, boosters, perspective student athletes and universities. If I'm a compliance director at any school, I'm telling my boosters you can be subject to criminal prosecution for extra benefits.

Yep, that's the news here. ALSO...if the Feds are saying this is a bribe, it's just as illegal to ACCEPT a bribe as it is to give one.

BrunswickDawg
09-26-2017, 12:04 PM

In some states - including Mississippi I believe - it is already illegal for sports agents to have contacts and dealings with college players. The logical next step is making inducements for athletes illegal. Hell, the IRS implications currently make most of illegal and boarderline criminal.

JoseBrown
09-26-2017, 12:47 PM
This is what surprises me if the FBI had not at least taken a cursory look at Umiss. Remember the fight between Tunsil and Lindsey Miller, what was it about? Miller went straight to the press and said he was trying to keep Tunsil away from an agent or agents, and then Tunsil and he got sideways about it. Then Hugh said Miller was a lady beater, but the fact that Miller started mentioning agents and money in the press should've been investigated. Maybe it was and that's why much of the Tunsil stuff was left alone by the NCAA. Thoughts?

Maroonthirteen
09-26-2017, 01:29 PM

Are you talking about the Albert Means investigation? Are you sure it was the FBI?

The IRS investigated the structuring of money to pay the HS coach for Menas. Young was prosecuted for structuring the cash at the bank. He wasn't prosecuted for the actual payments to the HS coach.

Mimi's Babies
09-26-2017, 01:57 PM

This is about to get really interesting... How long will it take the FBI to get to OM? Merl Code was a former Nike employee who just recently left Nike to join Adidas... Interesting, I think not...

Hang on this mess could very well open some more doors at tsun....

Dawg-gone-dawgs
09-26-2017, 02:01 PM
Merl Code was a former Nike employee who just recently left Nike to join Adidas... Interesting, I think not...

Don't you mean... "coincidence, I think not"...?

Dawg-gone-dawgs
09-26-2017, 02:36 PM
https://twitter.com/Mike_Sands/status/912756119021420546 : Mississippi State Spokesman says, "This doesn't involve us whatsoever."

MarketingBully
09-26-2017, 02:49 PM
Mustapha Heron and Austin Wiley are the Auburn kids involved in the Person scandal. Makes sense to me.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
09-26-2017, 02:52 PM
Mustapha Heron and Austin Wiley are the Auburn kids involved in the Person scandal. Makes sense to me.

absolutely Mustapha. Wasnt he supposed to visit us but committed to Auburn on his visit to them?

MarketingBully
09-26-2017, 02:58 PM
absolutely Mustapha. Wasnt he supposed to visit us but committed to Auburn on his visit to them?

Yep. And the nucleus of the South Carolina Final Four team was recruited by that Ok State assistant Evans who was named. He recruited Thornwell, Dozier, and Notice. Will they have to forfeit their Final Four season?

Dawg-gone-dawgs
09-26-2017, 03:03 PM
Notice wasn't highly sought after though. He was barely a 3 star. The other two were in-state kids so not that unbelievable.

louisvilledawg
09-26-2017, 03:05 PM
My ole miss friends seem to think Malik's recruitment will raise an eyebrow or two.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
09-26-2017, 03:06 PM
yea him being from Mississippi and his dad played here...that is VERY suspicious.****

Liverpooldawg
09-26-2017, 03:07 PM
So is it just Adidas or are others involved? I find it hard to believe others aren't.

MarketingBully
09-26-2017, 03:08 PM
My ole miss friends seem to think Malik's recruitment will raise an eyebrow or two.

Yep and he ended up at Adidas power house Kansas.

MarketingBully
09-26-2017, 03:10 PM
So is it just Adidas or are others involved? I find it hard to believe others aren't.

USC, Arizona, and South Carolina are all Nike schools. But IMO, their crap is worse because those coaches were funneling kids to agents and shoe companies. The Adidas involvement is dealing with funneling a player to Louisville.

MarketingBully
09-26-2017, 03:11 PM
The Auburn case is worst of all. Person is facing 80 years. They are an Under Armour school.

Bothrops
09-26-2017, 03:19 PM
We weren't named in the investigation, so should we assume we're in the clear?

Dawg-gone-dawgs
09-26-2017, 03:28 PM

I posted a link in this thread from Twitter.

https://twitter.com/Mike_Sands/status/912756119021420546

MarketingBully
09-26-2017, 03:36 PM

I would think we would be okay as long as we didn’t have ties to any of those asshats named in the indictment. I think the teams that will get hammered from this are as follows: Louisville (they may get the DP), Arizona (I think some things will come to light in their current recruiting class that flattens them), USC (they will be screwed), and Auburn (Person did a whole lot of shit and they have tons on him - no way he doesn’t roll on Pearl facing 80 years). Most of the others who are listed are agents, advisors, or shoe execs that have no ties to us.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
09-26-2017, 03:37 PM
I would think we would be okay as long as we didn’t have ties to any of those asshats named in the indictment. I think the teams that will get hammered from this are as follows: Louisville (they may get the DP), Arizona (I think some things will come to light in their current recruiting class that flattens them), USC (they will be screwed), and Auburn (Person did a whole lot of shit and they have tons on him - no way he doesn’t roll on Pearl facing 80 years). Most of the others who are listed are agents, advisors, or shoe execs that have no ties to us.

although there is this....http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/20826573/what-need-know-fbi-ncaa-basketball-investigation

Could other charges be forthcoming against other programs and individuals?
Yes. The investigation is "ongoing," and the phone number for a tip line was given out at Tuesday's news conference for anyone who wants to come forward with information.

https://media.giphy.com/media/G4Ihli2UThrBS/giphy.gif

Ifyouonlyknew
09-26-2017, 03:39 PM
although there is this....http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/20826573/what-need-know-fbi-ncaa-basketball-investigation

That sounds like this is all we have but if anybody else has any info we sure will listen. Who wants to bet OM fans have already called no less than 100 times. "That damn Howland came to MSU & they just started getting good players. Can't be legal you see how they did OM when Freeze did it. Lock em up."

Dawg-gone-dawgs
09-26-2017, 03:40 PM
That sounds like this is all we have but if anybody else has any info we sure will listen. Who wants to bet OM fans have already called no less than 100 times. "That damn Howland came to MSU & they just started getting good players. Can't be legal you see how they did OM when Freeze did it. Lock em up."

GUARANTEE you this is happening!

MarketingBully
09-26-2017, 03:48 PM

Yeah, agreed. But they already have what they need to send a messsge. Do they want to bring down the entire sport? Surely they understand by doing that they will get lodged into a rathole. Unlike the NCAA, they actually need indisputable evidence a crime occurred.

Liverpooldawg
09-26-2017, 03:49 PM
Every school in the country will have crazies calling them n their rival.

MarketingBully
09-26-2017, 03:50 PM
Interesting to note they started this investigation in 2015 when Adidas took some major schools from Nike. If this was done at the behest of Nike our system is more corrupt then we could ever realize.

Bothrops
09-26-2017, 03:52 PM
I posted a link in this thread from Twitter.

https://twitter.com/Mike_Sands/status/912756119021420546

Thanks

Mimi's Babies
09-26-2017, 03:56 PM
This is what surprises me if the FBI had not at least taken a cursory look at Umiss. Remember the fight between Tunsil and Lindsey Miller, what was it about? Miller went straight to the press and said he was trying to keep Tunsil away from an agent or agents, and then Tunsil and he got sideways about it. Then Hugh said Miller was a lady beater, but the fact that Miller started mentioning agents and money in the press should've been investigated. Maybe it was and that's why much of the Tunsil stuff was left alone by the NCAA. Thoughts?

Interesting Merl Code has just took the position at Adidas from NIKE... who has NIKE clothing?????

Ole Miss Apparel and University of Mississippi Merchandise at the ultimate Rebels fan store. ... Ole Miss Rebels Nike Custom Replica Football Jersey - Red. Interesting, I think NOT.....

MarketingBully
09-26-2017, 04:00 PM
GUARANTEE you this is happening!

Oh yeah, the Bear trolls are relentless on Twitter trying to connect us to this. But of course there’s no evidence so consider the source...

dawgs
09-26-2017, 04:34 PM
Jason Riley‏Verified account @JasonRileyWDRB

I hear the big news is coming in the morning. And it is Big. News.
1:51 PM - 26 Sep 2017 from Louisville, KY

HancockCountyDog
09-26-2017, 04:45 PM
I'll leave this here, Auburn Basketball may legitimately get the death penalty in basketball. It is that bad.

Anyone that tries to say otherwise, has no clue what they are talking about.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
09-26-2017, 04:55 PM
I'll leave this here, Auburn Basketball may legitimately get the death penalty in basketball. It is that bad.

Anyone that tries to say otherwise, has no clue what they are talking about.

WOW!!!

Coldsleeve Jr.
09-26-2017, 04:56 PM
I'm sure I'm missing the obvious... but what would be the actual NCAA violation?

Obviously paying a croot is a violation. Is there a violation defined by the NCAA when a booster pays a coach to persuade a player to use said booster's financial management services after going pro? Clearly it's illegal, just wondering how the NCAA would handle this within their scope.

Also possible I am misinterpreting the complaint.

Spiderman
09-26-2017, 05:18 PM

It's not just Howland, it's every coach in CBB. So yes, Howland is nervous, this ain't his 1st job

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
09-26-2017, 05:26 PM
Jon Weiner is sitting in for Jake Wimberly today and is trying his damndest to raise questions about Howland and MSU being part of addidas drama.

ShotgunDawg
09-26-2017, 05:40 PM
Oh yeah, the Bear trolls are relentless on Twitter trying to connect us to this. But of course there’s no evidence so consider the source...

Jon Weiner is sitting in for Jake Wimberly today and is trying his damndest to raise questions about Howland and MSU being part of addidas drama.

While taking up for OM's football recruiting whenever possible.

Weiner is an MSU fan and attends Msu games. Additionally, I think he is damn good on the radio when he's not talking MSU or Ole Miss. I think he desires to be a national radio guy and in an effort to hide bias, goes overboard against Msu because he thinks it will help his career as biased, homers are looked down upon

Saltydog
09-26-2017, 05:42 PM
Anyone with an Adidas brand might need to be worried. I'm certainly no insider but I know how the game is played and Dan Wentzel stated that more was coming. Pearl is a dead man walking and Pitino may be as well. Hugh Freeze and Ole Miss are relieved.

Saltydog
09-26-2017, 05:47 PM
have to wonder if any of this played a factor in his decision.

dawgs
09-26-2017, 05:50 PM
Anyone with an Adidas brand might need to be worried. I'm certainly no insider but I know how the game is played and Dan Wentzel stated that more was coming. Pearl is a dead man walking and Pitino may be as well. Hugh Freeze and Ole Miss are relieved.

It goes far beyond just adidas schools. Auburn is Under Armour and okie st, usc, and Arizona are all Nike. Adidas was giving assistants $$ to steer players to particular advisers and agents that would then steer them towards a shoe deal with adidas. Supposedly chuck person then passed at least some of that money on to players. I’m sure the other assistants arrested today did similar stuff with the $$.

redstickdawg
09-26-2017, 05:52 PM
I've been saying for a while that with the big $'s floating around in recruiting that the fed's would get involved due to tax issues and other items.

RocketDawg
09-26-2017, 06:10 PM

Is what the guy at Auburn more serious than what those at other schools did? I've not kept up with this at all ... just know there's a scandal going that involves Adidas and 6 or 7 schools where Adidas was paying big names to go to certain (Adidas) schools.

Why would OM and Freeze be relieved? Because the NCAA has bigger things to concentrate on? I have a feeling they're pretty much finished with Ole Miss at this point.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
09-26-2017, 06:11 PM
have to wonder if any of this played a factor in his decision.

Brooks went to North Carolina

RocketDawg
09-26-2017, 06:13 PM
It goes far beyond just adidas schools. Auburn is Under Armour and okie st, usc, and Arizona are all Nike. Adidas was giving assistants $$ to steer players to particular advisers and agents that would then steer them towards a shoe deal with adidas. Supposedly chuck person then passed at least some of that money on to players. I’m sure the other assistants arrested today did similar stuff with the $$.

Your post pretty much clears up some of the questions I had in my previous post. I think it's about time some of this recruiting stuff actually became illegal instead of just against NCAA rules. Maybe some of the cheating will stop or at least slow down.

Mimi's Babies
09-26-2017, 06:56 PM

WAIT..... Merl F. Code Jr. has RECENTLY left Nike. Enough said????
Guess who is on OM ass....... NIKE.....

ShotgunDawg
09-26-2017, 09:55 PM
So... how does Calipari get all the top players?

Political Hack
09-26-2017, 10:39 PM
Funny how addidas got pinched first when this has been the rumors with UK And Nike for years. Either way, it could spell disaster for a lot of others. Especially if they broadened this to include other shoe companies.

MarketingBully
09-26-2017, 11:06 PM
Funny how addidas got pinched first when this has been the rumors with UK And Nike for years. Either way, it could spell disaster for a lot of others. Especially if they broadened this to include other shoe companies.

They will. This is the tip of the iceberg so to speak. I think the sacrificial lambs for the investigation so far will be Pitino and Pearl. Person is facing 80 years in charges and he will spill his guts to cut his time down. I think what they have found out and can prove (with taped video and audio of these assistant coaches) could land Auburn and Louisville the death penalty. Now will the NCAA go that far? Who knows? But you better believe Duke and Kentucky are funneled by Nike. Kansas is funneled by Adidas. I really don’t understand why they are deciding to crack down on this now. This has been going on for over a decade plus. Shit, this has been going on since AAU started.

MarketingBully
09-26-2017, 11:08 PM
So... how does Calipari get all the top players?

His name is World Wide Wes and he has been around Cal since the Memphis days and Wagner.

MarketingBully
09-27-2017, 12:36 AM
Why are our fan blogger sites writing articles like this when A) we aren’t mentioned in this mess and B) Ole Miss fans and Hog fans are trying as hard as they can to tie us into this craphole. This is just irresponsible and stupid reporting on things this person knows nothing about.

https://www.forwhomthecowbelltolls.com/2017/9/26/16368752/should-mississippi-state-fans-worry-about-the-adidas-recruiting-scandal

Edited to add the Ole Miss people are loving this article blog writer btw if you are even an MSU fan.

Dawg61
09-27-2017, 01:27 AM
Person ain't getting 80 years in jail haha 5 years tops

MarketingBully
09-27-2017, 02:25 AM
Person ain't getting 80 years in jail haha 5 years tops

Yeah, he will get 3-5 for sure and sing like a canary bringing Pearl down with him. Wiley and Heron’s careers at Auburn are over.

Maroonthirteen
09-27-2017, 05:24 AM
Yeah, he will get 3-5 for sure and sing like a canary bringing Pearl down with him. Wiley and Heron’s careers at Auburn are over.

3 years supervised release.

BrunswickDawg
09-27-2017, 06:12 AM
Why are our fan blogger sites writing articles like this when A) we aren’t mentioned in this mess and B) Ole Miss fans and Hog fans are trying as hard as they can to tie us into this craphole. This is just irresponsible and stupid reporting on things this person knows nothing about.

https://www.forwhomthecowbelltolls.com/2017/9/26/16368752/should-mississippi-state-fans-worry-about-the-adidas-recruiting-scandal

Edited to add the Ole Miss people are loving this article blog writer btw if you are even an MSU fan.
Because a) too many of our fans are chicken littlest who always think the sky is about to fall; and b) they are dumbasses needing clicks.

msbulldog
09-27-2017, 06:48 AM

Personally, a conversation with the FBI is not one of my bucket list items.

Dawg61
09-27-2017, 07:01 AM
We have a target on our backs in basketball since Howland arrived. He recruits very well = butthurt jealous rivals. Ole Miss, Auburn and Arkansas seem to be butthurt the most.

Maroonthirteen
09-27-2017, 07:18 AM
Why are our fan blogger sites writing articles like this when A) we aren?t mentioned in this mess and B) Ole Miss fans and Hog fans are trying as hard as they can to tie us into this craphole. This is just irresponsible and stupid reporting on things this person knows nothing about.

Yeah I have had a couple of OM friends reference this guys twitter article. I unfollowed both of his twitters. I suggest
Other State fans unfollow as well.

Mimi's Babies
09-27-2017, 07:25 AM

I looked for the date of when Merl Code left Nike. The papers stated that Code had recently left Nike.

MarketingBully
09-27-2017, 07:36 AM
I looked for the date of when Merl Code left Nike. The papers stated that Code had recently left Nike.

Yep. This isn’t all about Adidas as much as Ole Miss and Arkansas want it to be. It’s Nike and Under Armour as well.

Spiderman
09-27-2017, 08:02 AM
Yeah I have had a couple of OM friends reference this guys twitter article. I unfollowed both of his twitters. I suggest
Other State fans unfollow as well.

Why? That's the same mentality we dogged stupid Rebel fans for having.

It's an opinion. As of now, we have no problems, but, if in the future we do, denial won't help one bit

Liverpooldawg
09-27-2017, 08:05 AM
Why are our fan blogger sites writing articles like this when A) we aren?t mentioned in this mess and B) Ole Miss fans and Hog fans are trying as hard as they can to tie us into this craphole. This is just irresponsible and stupid reporting on things this person knows nothing about.

That's not an MSU blog. It never has been. Don't go to it. Don't click on it. They do NOT have MSU interests at heart.

Ifyouonlyknew
09-27-2017, 08:08 AM
We have a target on our backs in basketball since Howland arrived. He recruits very well = butthurt jealous rivals. Ole Miss, Auburn and Arkansas seem to be butthurt the most.

OM is just being OM. I doubt Auburn is butt hurt they've recruited just as well or better than we have. Arkansas & MSU hasn't battled for hardly any kids against each other until Reggie Perry. They're salty about losing him but hell I would be too if we lost a Top 15 player.

Ifyouonlyknew
09-27-2017, 08:09 AM

I doubt if any of these guys actually do any real jail time.

Liverpooldawg
09-27-2017, 08:09 AM
Yep. This isn’t all about Adidas as much as Ole Miss and Arkansas want it to be. It’s Nike and Under Armour as well.

More Nike school coaches were arrested than Adidas ones.

Liverpooldawg
09-27-2017, 08:10 AM
OM is just being OM. I doubt Auburn is butt hurt they've recruited just as well or better than we have. Arkansas & MSU hasn't battled for hardly any kids against each other until Reggie Perry. They're salty about losing him but hell I would be too if we lost a Top 15 player.

Reggie Perry's Dad played for us.

Liverpooldawg
09-27-2017, 08:14 AM
Why? That's the same mentality we dogged stupid Rebel fans for having.

It's an opinion. As of now, we have no problems, but, if in the future we do, denial won't help one bit
No it's not. There was evidence out the wazoo for what was happening at Ole Miss. There is no evidence at all, not even rumor, tying us to this.

Ari Gold
09-27-2017, 08:15 AM
This isn't just adidas.. OM fans are so ****ing stupid thinking just because Howland is associated with adidas we are involved.

Anything to deflect from the worse college football sanacations about to be handed down since SMU.

Happy Wednesday #shitbirds

Ifyouonlyknew
09-27-2017, 08:15 AM
Reggie Perry's Dad played for us.

Yes I'm aware. The top prospects we've gotten since Howland has arrived have all been legacies. Malik Newman, Nick Weatherspoon, & Reggie Perry. Could potentially add Robert Woodard in the spring. It's been perfect timing landing a well known accomplished coach during a time where legacy after legacy has big time kids coming through.

Political Hack
09-27-2017, 08:22 AM

Not helping.

Ari Gold
09-27-2017, 08:23 AM
Yes I'm aware. The top prospects we've gotten since Howland has arrived have all been legacies. Malik Newman, Nick Weatherspoon, & Reggie Perry. Could potentially add Robert Woodard in the spring. It's been perfect timing landing a well known accomplished coach during a time where legacy after legacy has big time kids coming through.

To add....
Bama is recruiting well.. Avery Johnson
It's not like we replaced RR with some unproven ex high school girls basketball coach.
He came from ****ing UCLA. Not some little school like say Braircrest.

We lost a kid to UNC whose Dad is a coach on our staff...

Until we have ANY smoke coming out of this from our camp , we are no more involved than Bama or even OM.

BB30
09-27-2017, 08:53 AM
Basketball recruiting has been like this for years... Will be interesting to see what this does to the college game. I would think if they knocked out the 1 and done rule it would take care of a lot of this and go back to letting kids go out of high school if they want to take the risk.

KentuckyDawg13
09-27-2017, 09:05 AM
Thus my comment about a certain Jackson, MS AAU coach who coordinates such transfers.

Dawg61
09-27-2017, 09:10 AM

I am just saying what I have seen posted repeatedly from fans of these three schools. MSU still has bad blood with Auburn from Camgate. Arkansas is very butthurt about Perry and we know why OM wants to sling mud on us.

Maroonthirteen
09-27-2017, 09:15 AM
Basketball recruiting has been like this for years... Will be interesting to see what this does to the college game. I would think if they knocked out the 1 and done rule it would take care of a lot of this and go back to letting kids go out of high school if they want to take the risk.

The NFL and NBA should reach an agreement with the NCAA similar to college baseball and be done with it. If the free market says a kid is worth $150,000 out of high school, let the kid sign a pro contract and live his dream. I wish the NFL would set up a minor league and develop there. It wouldn't bother me at all if NCAA football was made up of a bunch of "1& 2 stars." I'd enjoy it if it is still MSU vs our traditional opponents.

Get the corruption out of college athletics as much as possible and lets make it as close as truely amateur as we can.

MSUDAWGFAN
09-27-2017, 09:35 AM
Get the corruption out of college athletics as much as possible and lets make it as close as truely amateur as we can.

The only real way to do that would be to make the punishment for coaches so high that they would be absolutely scared to death to get caught. Jail time. The length of time mentioned for Chuck Person would do the trick. 80 years. That's really the only way.

For a coach who just gets a show cause, think about it. He is now rich and gets to retire going about his merry way. That's not scary. As a matter of fact, sign me up. I'll take Kevin Sumlin's job right now. (I'm not saying he will get any sanctions- just that he will get fired.)

dawgs
09-27-2017, 09:51 AM
They will. This is the tip of the iceberg so to speak. I think the sacrificial lambs for the investigation so far will be Pitino and Pearl. Person is facing 80 years in charges and he will spill his guts to cut his time down. I think what they have found out and can prove (with taped video and audio of these assistant coaches) could land Auburn and Louisville the death penalty. Now will the NCAA go that far? Who knows? But you better believe Duke and Kentucky are funneled by Nike. Kansas is funneled by Adidas. I really don?t understand why they are deciding to crack down on this now. This has been going on for over a decade plus. Shit, this has been going on since AAU started.

It?s being cracked down on now because a financial adviser got popped for fraud in 2015 and started squealing, that?s why it?s happening now.

dawgs
09-27-2017, 09:56 AM
The only real way to do that would be to make the punishment for coaches so high that they would be absolutely scared to death to get caught. Jail time. The length of time mentioned for Chuck Person would do the trick. 80 years. That's really the only way.

For a coach who just gets a show cause, think about it. He is now rich and gets to retire going about his merry way. That's not scary. As a matter of fact, sign me up. I'll take Kevin Sumlin's job right now. (I'm not saying he will get any sanctions- just that he will get fired.)

Only problem is I think a lot (most?) people in general are for less jail time for non-violent offenders and would prefer that their punishment be a short or no prison time with a hefty fine and a convicted felon label around the rest of their lives.

As much as cheating in college sports sucks, I don’t know if I’d wanna make NCAA violations illegal either. If laws are broken in the process of cheating, the they should be prosecuted, but personally I think there’s better ways to fix the system than making NCAA rules a basis for actual laws with jail time and fines.

CarolinaDawgs
09-27-2017, 10:57 AM
Where have our most recent transfers gone to?

Bigger name Adidas Basketball schools.

This leads me to believe that we might be actually doing things the right way. Might seem naive, but why wouldn't they just stay with us if they were getting a similar deal and wouldn't have to sit out a year?

Spiderman
09-27-2017, 04:48 PM
No it's not. There was evidence out the wazoo for what was happening at Ole Miss. There is no evidence at all, not even rumor, tying us to this.

As I said, it's an opinion. The guy didn't accuse State. Hell, I thought some of the same myself, but that too is just thinking

RocketDawg
09-27-2017, 06:49 PM
An Alabama "basketball staffer" has resigned after the start of an internal investigation. Looks like the net is spreading larger. As far as I know, the FBI hasn't been to Tuscaloosa.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
09-27-2017, 09:22 PM
Where have our most recent transfers gone to?

Bigger name Adidas Basketball schools.

This leads me to believe that we might be actually doing things the right way. Might seem naive, but why wouldn't they just stay with us if they were getting a similar deal and wouldn't have to sit out a year?

Who besides Newman went to an Adidas school? Kegler went to Baylor, a Nike school.

MarketingBully
09-27-2017, 10:29 PM
This is a good tweet that summarizes the investigation so far:

https://twitter.com/rosenberg_pat/status/913113127532810240

MarketingBully
09-27-2017, 10:30 PM
Who besides Newman went to an Adidas school? Kegler went to Baylor, a Nike school.

Omhar Carter. is dirty. So is Scott Drew.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
09-27-2017, 10:34 PM
Omhar Conner is dirty. So is Scott Drew.

haha You mean "Carter"

MarketingBully
09-27-2017, 10:41 PM
haha You mean "Carter"

Yeah, I corrected it.

MarketingBully
09-27-2017, 11:29 PM
I recommend anyone who has time to listen to Gary Parrish’s and Matt Norlander’s podcast on the scandal. It’s really good. Link below:

https://twitter.com/garyparrishcbs/status/913038699818110978

dmdezigns
09-28-2017, 06:53 AM
It?s being cracked down on now because a financial adviser got popped for fraud in 2015 and started squealing, that?s why it?s happening now.

Here's the story on that. The first article is the narrative basically of the case. The second talks about the plea deal.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/20834050/the-story-how-fbi-brought-words-corruption

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/09/26/key-witness-in-ncaa-basketball-scandal-is-fallen-investment-adviser.html

Liverpooldawg
09-28-2017, 08:34 AM

Read the book Wise Guy. It's the book that The movie Goodfellas is based on. The way the investigation that eventually brought that whole crew down started isn't really mentioned in the movie. It started when a kid that happened to be the son of a family friend of Henry Hill got busted in a small time unrelated drug deal. He knew enough to start the ball rolling for the cops. They got enough on Hill as a result of what the kid told them to have an iron clad case that carried enough hard time that Hill's buddies were afraid he would rat them out. Hill got word that they were going to whack him so he DID rat them out. This is starting to sound like that, minus the mob connections (at least so far, although given the mob's historic interest in college basketball it wouldn't surprise me if they appeared in it this before it is over).