PDA

View Full Version : Anybody Remember in the Late 80's early 90"s

Spiderman
09-25-2017, 06:42 PM
a store in Starkville named Gun Dog Comics? Was in the Russell St shopping center.

In honor of National Comic Book Day, I was wondering when it closed and who owned it?

And yes I was a secret comic book geek. They also had some great board and role play games you couldn't find anywhere else.

Wish I could remember the names of the guys that ran it, not sure if they owned it.

Saltydog
09-25-2017, 06:53 PM
in the day. Had completely forgot about "Gun Dog"..

Homedawg
09-25-2017, 06:59 PM
a store in Starkville named Gun Dog Comics? Was in the Russell St shopping center.

In honor of National Comic Book Day, I was wondering when it closed and who owned it?

And yes I was a secret comic book geek. They also had some great board and role play games you couldn't find anywhere else.

Wish I could remember the names of the guys that ran it, not sure if they owned it.

Gun dog is still open. Not sure if they still deal in comics or not. They are on industrial road. But they just bought the old red cap building in mahiston right on hwy 82. Don't know who the owners were/are

Jack Lambert
09-25-2017, 07:01 PM
Two brothers owned it. Can't remember names. They were MSU students. They started it as a gourmet dog food store. They were not making money so they put up all their comic books and sports cards to make ends meet. That's how they got the name gun dog. I knew both of them just can't remember names. Left everyone behind when I graduated. I want to say they were from the Jackson Metro area. Not sure.

Commercecomet24
09-25-2017, 07:05 PM
Man I forgot about that place. Bought some baseball cards there. Not sure who owned it.

Randolph Dupree
09-25-2017, 07:05 PM
Steve Snell is the owner of Gun Dog supply. I don't know about the comics and sports cards but to this day that is where I buy my retriever training supplies and many others do too. They have a great reputation nationally.

jbjones
09-25-2017, 07:07 PM
Steve Snell is the owner, or one of them, I believe. I can't remember the details of their history, but it's a good shop to get hunting dog related stuff, and anything outdoor-dog type stuff.

Edit: Looks like Randolph beat me to it.

Spiderman
09-25-2017, 07:12 PM
Gun dog is still open. Not sure if they still deal in comics or not. They are on industrial road. But they just bought the old red cap building in mahiston right on hwy 82. Don't know who the owners were/are

Think that would be a newer place.

Gun Dog I knew did comics, cards, and games

Homedawg
09-25-2017, 07:16 PM
Think that would be a newer place.

Gun Dog I knew did comics, cards, and games

Yes. But I think, this store was the beginning of what exists now. But I know they use to deal in cards and comics. It moved several times.

Spiderman
09-25-2017, 07:17 PM
Yes. But I think, this store was the beginning of what exists now. But I know they use to deal in cards and comics. It moved several times.

Ok, thanks

TrapGame
09-25-2017, 08:03 PM
I was in there several times. I'd go play D&D with some high school friends that were at State in the early 90's. Pretty neat place.

Thrill1
09-25-2017, 08:16 PM
Ask and ye shall receive:

https://youtu.be/svVtDgNV13U

Randolph Dupree
09-25-2017, 09:22 PM

Well...I learned something new

Mjoelner34
09-25-2017, 09:40 PM
It moved several times.
I think it was by the army/navy store at one time wasn't it?

Jack Lambert
09-25-2017, 10:18 PM

I wasn't far off from the history. I am kind of glad for myself. I think i might reward myself with a cookie. OREO

basedog
09-25-2017, 10:21 PM
Gun Dog started in Ridgeland, I use to buy dog food from Ann and Warner Snell, may be wrong on there names as it was early to mid 80's. Great folks who were very passionate about there store. Yes the both moved to Starkville when there son(s) went to Msu.
Really good folks, use to see them at football games but it's been a while since I have seen either.

Dawgology
09-25-2017, 10:27 PM
Just as an FYI a new comic book store is openin in starkville in a few months. Some folks that own one in Memphis.

Spiderman
09-25-2017, 10:31 PM

Boom, good find. Thanks. That's the dudes I remember

drummerdawg
09-25-2017, 10:37 PM
I met a guy from Memphis who is planning to open a comic store in Starkville.