PDA

View Full Version : Sunday Morning QB- Good to Win Big Edition

Coach34
09-22-2013, 11:19 AM
1. 62 points? Mannnnn was that nice to see. I cant remember the last time we scored 60 points.

2. Dakota's 1st pass to Jameon should have been caught- then Dak squeezed a couple of passes on that 1st drive. He is still evolving as passer and he is learning to make throws while making different types of moves also. But my gosh boys, it is indeed a beautiful thing to finally have a legitimate dual-threat QB running the offense. I told ya'll 3 years ago this son of a gun could play- and he is not disappointing. Still gonna be some growing pains at times moving forward, but he is leaving little doubt as to who the best QB for our offense is.

3. Damien Williams is giving you "star gazers" a big FU as he gets experience during his true freshman season. Kid looks decent so far and is definitely a servicable #3 this year. He was a winner in HS- and he has the look on the field that he is a very confident player. Good steal for us in this last class. All he is going to do is make the QB competition for #2 next year even better.

4. I found it interesting that Russell didnt play a series. He has been practicing and was cleared for contact Thursday. After missing a couple of weeks- you would think it would be to his advantage to play a live series before the LSU games in 2 weeks.

5. I refuse to believe that Mullen would start Russell vs LSU. Has to be gamesmanship. No way he would do that to the team and take two steps back now that we are finally moving forward as an offense.

6. I hereby dub Joe Morrow as Featherstone from this point forward. I will not call him anything else. Running free vs Troy- aGAIN...drops the pass- aGAIN. I'll be Wally from Necessary Roughness hollering "Don't throw it to Stonehands" every time we go back to pass from this point forward.

7. Rojo and Jameon are looking solid. Still need more touches by Malcolm. Ross is getting more snaps. Hopefully Wilson can keep learning what to do so he can play more. But bottom line- this is not the group we need to depend on for most of our offense. They can be a solid complement to the running game this year though. Next year this will be a solid group of WR's.

8. Our defensive line overwhelmed their ass. There is little doubt we have one of the best front 7's in the SEC. We will be ok vs LSU. Because our DL can play- we wont have to gamble as much in the Secondary or bite as much on play-action. We should be able to give Mett some fits- especially with 2 weeks to prepare.

9. While we had a nearly perfect gameplan on D- I didnt like us throwing our 2nd defense out there to start drives #2 and 3 in the 1st Q. I love the fact we can play alot of guys on D, but let's dont do it all at the same time. Troy wouldnt have scored had we not let them have the 2nd D to get drives going early in the game.

10. Whitley is a liability in pass coverage right now. His draft stock is taking a hit. QB's are going to start targeting him regularly in match-ups

11. We are not a bad football team. We started the year with the wrong QB- but it's understandable why we did. The growth of our offense since Dakota has taken over has been fun to watch. As frustrating as it was to lose to Auburn- now it's easier to appreciate what Dak did in his 1st road start. I sat there and watched Florida and Tenn's back-up QB's battle it out yesterday in a turnover-fest. It was embarrassing. Miss. State's back-up QB is better than Fla's or Tenn's. Think about that next time before you bitch about recruiting. If I'm Mullen- I keep rolling along with Dakota but create a fast-paced 2 minute offense for Russell to come in and run a few times per game. It could very effective as a change of pace and it could be tailored to Russell's strengths. Hopefully we are smart enough to do that

The rest of this season is going to be exciting. We have a decent football team that is good on defense and growing on offense. Our best ball is ahead of us. We are going to give LSU all they want in two weeks. I have no doubts the crowd will be loud and crazy, and the team will play with relentless effort. It's time for Mullen to pull an upset. It's time Dan, it's time.

Pollodawg
09-22-2013, 11:28 AM
I've called the LSU upset since before the season. We're due verses them We've pretty much gotten most of Dan's old monkeys off of our back (not beating SEC West teams, etc). It's time to get this one off the football program's back.

We are a better team than Arkansas, UK, our last ooc game, and I think we take OM at home to get to six. People are letting that road win at Texas fool them. Texas is bloody awful and likely won't even break 500. Plus, AU is better than a lot of people think they are. They kind of exposed LSU last night after the rain stopped.

engie
09-22-2013, 12:22 PM
If I'm Mullen- I keep rolling along with Dakota but create a fast-paced 2 minute offense for Russell to come in and run a few times per game. It could very effective as a change of pace and it could be tailored to Russell's strengths.

This is a great, great point.

Russell almost always has tremendous success with scripted plays at the very beginning of games. As such, we should script him 10-15 plays into the gameplan -- to be used whenever we feel it necessary. Can probably even do that in a hurry up without calling in anything from the sidelines, thus theoretically allowing us to go really, really fast...

sleepy dawg
09-22-2013, 12:30 PM
The crowd needs to really step it up against LSU. The students will do their part, but the rest of us have to step it up. Particularly the upper deck... Upper deck is part of the game too.

Also, it's okay to make noise on 1st and 2nd down too. You don't have to wait until 3rd down to make some noise.

If you're too embarrassed/wussy/lazy to yell and scream like hell, clap, ring your bell, stomp your feet... Do something to contribute to the noise.

Also, stand up. People seem to get louder when they're standing.

I'm probably preaching to the choir here, but I'm disappointed in the crowd in most games. I usually come away from about 1 game a year saying thats how we need to sound in every home game. I hope LSU is the first of several more this year.

TopDog58
09-22-2013, 12:50 PM
I agree with #9. Don't mind it on the D-line, but was a little shocked to see Richie Brown out there on Troy's 2nd possession.

CadaverDawg
09-22-2013, 12:58 PM
1. 62 points? Mannnnn was that nice to see. I cant remember the last time we scored 60 points.

2. Dakota's 1st pass to Jameon should have been caught- then Dak squeezed a couple of passes on that 1st drive. He is still evolving as passer and he is learning to make throws while making different types of moves also. But my gosh boys, it is indeed a beautiful thing to finally have a legitimate dual-threat QB running the offense. I told ya'll 3 years ago this son of a gun could play- and he is not disappointing. Still gonna be some growing pains at times moving forward, but he is leaving little doubt as to who the best QB for our offense is.

3. Damien Williams is giving you "star gazers" a big FU as he gets experience during his true freshman season. Kid looks decent so far and is definitely a servicable #3 this year. He was a winner in HS- and he has the look on the field that he is a very confident player. Good steal for us in this last class. All he is going to do is make the QB competition for #2 next year even better.

4. I found it interesting that Russell didnt play a series. He has been practicing and was cleared for contact Thursday. After missing a couple of weeks- you would think it would be to his advantage to play a live series before the LSU games in 2 weeks.

5. I refuse to believe that Mullen would start Russell vs LSU. Has to be gamesmanship. No way he would do that to the team and take two steps back now that we are finally moving forward as an offense.

6. I hereby dub Joe Morrow as Featherstone from this point forward. I will not call him anything else. Running free vs Troy- aGAIN...drops the pass- aGAIN. I'll be Wally from Necessary Roughness hollering "Don't throw it to Stonehands" every time we go back to pass from this point forward.

7. Rojo and Jameon are looking solid. Still need more touches by Malcolm. Ross is getting more snaps. Hopefully Wilson can keep learning what to do so he can play more. But bottom line- this is not the group we need to depend on for most of our offense. They can be a solid complement to the running game this year though. Next year this will be a solid group of WR's.

8. Our defensive line overwhelmed their ass. There is little doubt we have one of the best front 7's in the SEC. We will be ok vs LSU. Because our DL can play- we wont have to gamble as much in the Secondary or bite as much on play-action. We should be able to give Mett some fits- especially with 2 weeks to prepare.

9. While we had a nearly perfect gameplan on D- I didnt like us throwing our 2nd defense out there to start drives #2 and 3 in the 1st Q. I love the fact we can play alot of guys on D, but let's dont do it all at the same time. Troy wouldnt have scored had we not let them have the 2nd D to get drives going early in the game.

10. Whitley is a liability in pass coverage right now. His draft stock is taking a hit. QB's are going to start targeting him regularly in match-ups

11. We are not a bad football team. We started the year with the wrong QB- but it's understandable why we did. The growth of our offense since Dakota has taken over has been fun to watch. As frustrating as it was to lose to Auburn- now it's easier to appreciate what Dak did in his 1st road start. I sat there and watched Florida and Tenn's back-up QB's battle it out yesterday in a turnover-fest. It was embarrassing. Miss. State's back-up QB is better than Fla's or Tenn's. Think about that next time before you bitch about recruiting. If I'm Mullen- I keep rolling along with Dakota but create a fast-paced 2 minute offense for Russell to come in and run a few times per game. It could very effective as a change of pace and it could be tailored to Russell's strengths. Hopefully we are smart enough to do that

The rest of this season is going to be exciting. We have a decent football team that is good on defense and growing on offense. Our best ball is ahead of us. We are going to give LSU all they want in two weeks. I have no doubts the crowd will be loud and crazy, and the team will play with relentless effort. It's time for Mullen to pull an upset. It's time Dan, it's time.

Great post. I agree on every bit of it. Like the Russell idea too.

Irondawg
09-22-2013, 01:41 PM
#10 - teams have been doing that for the pass 2 years - he's decent as a CF but most of the time if he ends up in man coverage on someone he gets torched

Will James
09-22-2013, 02:02 PM
The crowd needs to really step it up against LSU. The students will do their part, but the rest of us have to step it up. Particularly the upper deck... Upper deck is part of the game too.

Also, it's okay to make noise on 1st and 2nd down too. You don't have to wait until 3rd down to make some noise.

If you're too embarrassed/wussy/lazy to yell and scream like hell, clap, ring your bell, stomp your feet... Do something to contribute to the noise.

Also, stand up. People seem to get louder when they're standing.

I'm probably preaching to the choir here, but I'm disappointed in the crowd in most games. I usually come away from about 1 game a year saying thats how we need to sound in every home game. I hope LSU is the first of several more this year.

agreed about the crowd. Many a first and second down felt like I was in a pew. At least we got the jumbotron right finally.

Pollodawg
09-22-2013, 02:48 PM
The crowd wasn't that bad where we were.

chef dixon
09-22-2013, 02:49 PM
Asking for the crowd to be rowdy in a 55 point game is just not reasonable to me. I wasn't there but it sounded pretty loud in the first quarter at least.

7dawg
09-22-2013, 03:30 PM
No mention of Williams having the wrong play sheet on his wrist for the first series?

Watch the replay. Mullen called TO about 3 plays into that series and was having a confernce with him while Russle was changing out the plays on his wrist. That is what it looked like to me.

I like the idea of the 2:00 Offense with Russel. I think the plays should be designed with only 1 read. Russel only needs two options or throw it away. This should cut down on holding the ball too long. This or a delay hot route on longer developing plays we love to run.

Goat Holder
09-22-2013, 03:48 PM
If I'm Mullen- I keep rolling along with Dakota but create a fast-paced 2 minute offense for Russell to come in and run a few times per game. It could very effective as a change of pace and it could be tailored to Russell's strengths. Hopefully we are smart enough to do that

So in essence, you want another Matt Wyatt. History really DOES repeat itself. It's almost scary.

Coach34
09-22-2013, 04:00 PM
So in essence, you want another Matt Wyatt. History really DOES repeat itself. It's almost scary.

No- Wyatt would always have to come in because we were behind and needed to throw the ball. I'm talking about using Tyler at different points in the game as a change of pace.

And that team won- so if it would lead to winning- what's wrong with it?

CadaverDawg
09-22-2013, 04:04 PM

What is your deal with history repeating itself? Would you rather us just throw Russell out there until he graduates, even if it hurts our offense, just to keep "history from repeating itself"? Your stance on this QB thing is very confusing to me. I seriously want to know what you would like to see against LSU at QB and going forward. Not what you "expect" to see, but what you would "like" to see.

Goat Holder
09-22-2013, 04:10 PM
I didn't say anything was wrong.

Goat Holder
09-22-2013, 04:20 PM
I seriously want to know what you would like to see against LSU at QB and going forward. Not what you "expect" to see, but what you would "like" to see.

I want to see Prescott start vs. LSU. He's earned that much, in Russell's absence. Plus, logic says Russell's lack of game action may hurt us in a big game. I didn't particularly like the game Prescott played at Auburn, but he looked like he improved vs. what I think is a bad defense in Troy. So he gets first shot. If he stalls out, Russell goes in until he stalls out. I've only stated this like 15 times on both boards.

And also, Prescott hasn't proven anything until he performs against an SEC team. If you're going to hold Russell (and Mullen) to that, well, you have to do it for Dak too. He's done nothing Russell hasn't already done (on the field results, not some made up stats about sparking the offense). Dak gets his shot in two weeks to keep the job. If he can't, back to Russell.

If you don't understand what I mean by history repeating itself, the QB curse, etc.....well, I guess I've just been a fan a LOT longer than you. I've been witnessing this shit since about 1987, that's when I can first remember a game. Senior QBs with promise have CONSISTENTLY flamed out throughout our football history, for various reasons, after showing glimpses of greatness as underclassmen, and typically a solid junior campaign. There's something more to it. Our fans just keep booing the senior. He hits a few bumps in the road and just like that, he's out.

If you try to buck the trend, you get your legs broke. Ask Sleepy. Relf tried to break out, and the dead Indians (reincarnated as Auburn DBs) got him and his ribs too.

I seen it dawg
09-22-2013, 05:21 PM
This whole let's see Dak prove himself I can agree with because we have let Tyler prove himself. He has proven he is terrible against any semblance of an SEC defense he comes up against. He hasn't done shit. Oh and he was great against a Big 10 defense and starting against a Big 12 defense this yr. I applaud him for staying committed and signing with us when he could have bolted. He is undoubtedly a great Bulldog and a great guy and I don't dislike him and he is gonna be a successful guy at his future endeavors when his football career is over. That being said Dak is a better football player, is better for our offense and is a better QB than Tyler for what we need a QB to do for our team.

CadaverDawg
09-22-2013, 06:03 PM
I want to see Prescott start vs. LSU. He's earned that much, in Russell's absence. Plus, logic says Russell's lack of game action may hurt us in a big game. I didn't particularly like the game Prescott played at Auburn, but he looked like he improved vs. what I think is a bad defense in Troy. So he gets first shot. If he stalls out, Russell goes in until he stalls out. I've only stated this like 15 times on both boards.

And also, Prescott hasn't proven anything until he performs against an SEC team. If you're going to hold Russell (and Mullen) to that, well, you have to do it for Dak too. He's done nothing Russell hasn't already done (on the field results, not some made up stats about sparking the offense). Dak gets his shot in two weeks to keep the job. If he can't, back to Russell.

If you don't understand what I mean by history repeating itself, the QB curse, etc.....well, I guess I've just been a fan a LOT longer than you. I've been witnessing this shit since about 1987, that's when I can first remember a game. Senior QBs with promise have CONSISTENTLY flamed out throughout our football history, for various reasons, after showing glimpses of greatness as underclassmen, and typically a solid junior campaign. There's something more to it. Our fans just keep booing the senior. He hits a few bumps in the road and just like that, he's out.

If you try to buck the trend, you get your legs broke. Ask Sleepy. Relf tried to break out, and the dead Indians (reincarnated as Auburn DBs) got him and his ribs too.

No, I have been a fan forever and I understand our QB history. That is not what confuses me. What confuses me is that you keep saying "Dak gets his shot in two weeks, and if he fails, back to Tyler", and I say...Why?? You just admitted that Tyler hasn't beaten anybody and we're holding him to the same standard, so why the hell would we go back to Tyler if he hasn't done it?? We've given Tyler tons of time to beat a good team, so why all of the sudden does Dak get "one shot" and it's against LSU?

You also just said, "he hasn't done anything Russell hasn't done" which is basically admitting that at worst we have an equal to Tyler, with potentially a lot more upside...so again, why would we go back to Tyler? It makes no sense, and that's with me simply using your own words.

WinningIsRelentless
09-22-2013, 06:43 PM

When was the last time Russell had a game that the punter never touched the field?

War Machine Dawg
09-22-2013, 07:10 PM

THIS. If Morrow sees the field for 1 more snap, it's 1 too many. He's my #1 attrition candidate this season.

Goat Holder
09-22-2013, 07:15 PM
No, I have been a fan forever and I understand our QB history. That is not what confuses me. What confuses me is that you keep saying "Dak gets his shot in two weeks, and if he fails, back to Tyler", and I say...Why?? You just admitted that Tyler hasn't beaten anybody and we're holding him to the same standard, so why the hell would we go back to Tyler if he hasn't done it?? We've given Tyler tons of time to beat a good team, so why all of the sudden does Dak get "one shot" and it's against LSU?

You also just said, "he hasn't done anything Russell hasn't done" which is basically admitting that at worst we have an equal to Tyler, with potentially a lot more upside...so again, why would we go back to Tyler? It makes no sense, and that's with me simply using your own words.

You're starting to get it, but for some reason you thinking I'm hating on Prescott. That's not it at all. Tyler's got two years maturity on him. When things are equal, you go with the experience. Dak's got 2 more years to play, and he'll get better.

Coach34
09-22-2013, 07:56 PM
Tyler's got two years maturity on him. When things are equal, you go with the experience

But things arent equal- hell, they arent even close to being equal.

Goat Holder
09-22-2013, 08:03 PM
You can't know that until Prescott goes out and impresses vs. LSU. You literally have no basis for comparison. Russell went on the road and beat Troy last year. I happen to think Russell would have beaten Auburn. So your post is wrong, they are equal until proven otherwise.

You're stating your opinion, as am I. Don't try painting that as fact just because of an emotional wave. Long season.

engie
09-22-2013, 08:38 PM
You can't know that until Prescott goes out and impresses vs. LSU. You literally have no basis for comparison. Russell went on the road and beat Troy last year. I happen to think Russell would have beaten Auburn. So your post is wrong, they are equal until proven otherwise.

All Dak has to "prove" to me at this point is that he won't cower under pressure when the bright lights come on. And you know what? I feel like I already know the answer to that in his general demeanor...

Because Russell has not had "it" or anything resembling "it" in the last 7 games he played. Even the LSU game where he was good overall -- when the marbles were on the table -- he made a couple of bad decisions in instances that could have/should have at least given us a chance to win that game. He just doesn't look confident anymore -- and appears to be easily shaken at this point.

That's the "intangible" difference that many of us think we see. We'll almost certainly find out in the next couple of games if this is real or imagined... I'm fine with either -- as long as we, as a team, move forward -- and don't have another Ok State cluster...

Coach34
09-22-2013, 09:30 PM

You're stating your opinion, as am I. Don't try painting that as fact just because of an emotional wave. Long season.

Nothing emotional about it. I can't see it for you- but look forward to the day when you do.

Goat Holder
09-22-2013, 09:40 PM
but look forward to the day when you do.

Hopefully it will be two weeks from yesterday.