PDA

View Full Version : Rebels starting to figure out the VHS expansion is a shame for bball

PassInterference
09-22-2013, 11:15 AM
There were rumors last year that the Ole Miss's buzz about VHS expansion was a sham and a crutch to gather money for the basketball program.

Their fans are beginning....beginning...to see the light. From the Spirit board:

BealeStREB

Ole Miss Legend
2987 posts this site
Ignore this Member
Nominate | Report
Posted: 9/20/2013 7:08 PM
VHS future expansion......question
With the new basketball arena location directly behind the west side of VHS, will it prevent future upper deck expansion to the stadium? We currently have both the Starnes and FedEx Center's behind the NEZ, and because of that, the expansion to the NEZ was scaled back. Understandbly, the cost to demolish and relocate the buildings would be too much. So, hypothetically, say in 15 years, we need to expand, will we be able to put a deck on the west side? Or will the arena be in the way? Are we planning for long term stadium expansion?

engie
09-22-2013, 12:29 PM
Here's the "new" Vaught Hemingway shown as they are $10 mil away from breaking ground on the arena(which is definitely too close to the stadium for expansion on that side -- which is the most logical spot for future expansion IMO)

http://my.jetscreenshot.com/12222/m_20130906-gmwz-37kb.jpg
http://my.jetscreenshot.com/12222/m_20130906-ecpb-39kb.jpg

Here's what they were promised while they raised this first $90 million.

http://my.jetscreenshot.com/12222/m_20130906-vim8-78kb.jpg

If I were them, I'd be livid too....

sleepy dawg
09-22-2013, 12:37 PM
You damn right I'd be livid... Think about it in our situation. If all of our today tomorrow forever donations went to expand The Hump instead of horseshoeing in our endzone. It makes me mad just thinking how mad I would be if that happened to us.

Negative Waves
09-22-2013, 05:26 PM
The newer design looks like it only adds regular seats. It seems like the trend these days is to add more club and box seats than regular seats because they bring in tons more money. Secondly, the bears can't even fill their stadium as is.

PassInterference
09-22-2013, 05:34 PM
The newer design looks like it only adds regular seats. It seems like the trend these days is to add more club and box seats than regular seats because they bring in tons more money. Secondly, the bears can't even fill their stadium as is.

Bingo. Which is why I think VHS won't get expanded at all. They aren't close to filling that place on a consistent basis. They can only fill it when their team's hype peaks at a fever pitch as it is right now.

Their stadium looks like shit. Even the expansion pictures look like shit. No side of the stadium ties in with the other. Even the expanded stadium looks like leftovers salvaged from demolitions of other stadiums.

Esmerelda Villalobos
09-22-2013, 05:48 PM
They wont expand football until 2018 at EARLIEST, more than likely 2020....

The Lord Humongous
09-22-2013, 05:54 PM
They wont expand football until 2018 at EARLIEST, more than likely 2020....

When it's all said and done, I think you're right. I bet we don't hear anything official about delayed work on the football stadium for another year or two and then I bet it's different from whatever is being shown now. Seems to me that the new picture is a major hedge. I've got a couple of buddies who have given to be in new skyboxes. Pretty dman sure they aren't expanding without more skyboxes. That tells me they don't even know what they're going to do to the football stadium now and the current rendering is a flimsy place holder. Very much in a state of limbo at this point.

edited to add: IF they are able to have a couple of really good seasons the next 2-3 years?....just might solidify things. If not, it just fall the hell apart and there are some mega-pissed donors wanting money back.

ShotgunDawg
09-22-2013, 06:16 PM
It would be just like the bears to expand their stadium just for crootin purposes. They could care less if they fill it or not. They just want to show recruits that they have a big stadium

Esmerelda Villalobos
09-22-2013, 06:18 PM
Im not spec'lat'n

starkvegasdawg
09-22-2013, 07:09 PM

Maybe they just need to expand the grove. That's where all the fans spend the majority of the game.

RougeDawg
09-22-2013, 10:51 PM
Been saying they ****ed up their chances to expand upward years ago. In order to support upper decks you need extensive groundwork and room for it. I highly doubt they poured footings to support another level when they oroginally built the East/West sides. Plus the way they piece milled their stadium and box seats previously, means they'll have to tear down any boxes they want to put a deck over in the future. It's just a piss poor, knee jerk reaction stadium. They have only recently expanded the stadium because of expansions made in Starkville. They couldn't let the have nots at MSU have a bigger stadium, so they added on as quick as possible with little planning for future additions.

And their proposed expansion is smaller than ours and their end zone currently seats more than our previous bleachers, yet they will be adding 10k "New" seats. The math doesn't add up to me and it just sounds like one of their "ours is bigger and better" tactics.

Political Hack
09-23-2013, 07:33 AM
they don't need a stadium. they have a grove. I think y'all are losing sight of why people go to their games. it has very little to do with football.

maroonmania
09-23-2013, 08:47 AM
VHS has to be one of the few stadiums where there is about as much or even more end zone seating than there is along the sidelines. Weird.

Bubb Rubb
09-23-2013, 09:01 AM
Their football stadium is an embarrassment to the SEC. I don't know how even the homerest of homers over there can defend that dump. It looks like they have build a series of decks off different ends of a trailer.

We've had our issues...the field not being centered, the east deck not being able to support the lights, the decks not completely matching, etc., but at the end of the day, Davis Wade is a place we can all be proud of, and will be even more proud of when the north endzone is done. Reading this thread makes me happier than ever that I'm a dawg.

Oh, and when their baskeball arena is built, they will be putting the "if you build it, they will come" theory to the test. I'm guessing that's not going to work out too well.

maroonmania
09-23-2013, 09:07 AM
Their football stadium is an embarrassment to the SEC. I don't know how even the homerest of homers over there can defend that dump. It looks like they have build a series of decks off different ends of a trailer.

We've had our issues...the field not being centered, the east deck not being able to support the lights, the decks not completely matching, etc., but at the end of the day, Davis Wade is a place we can all be proud of, and will be even more proud of when the north endzone is done. Reading this thread makes me happier than ever that I'm a dawg.

Oh, and when their baskeball arena is built, they will be putting the "if you build it, they will come" theory to the test. I'm guessing that's not going to work out too well.

And by looking at the location of the proposed new basketball arena it appears they are trying to increase their basketball attendance by tricking their fans into believing they are heading to a football game.

PassInterference
09-23-2013, 09:41 AM
And by looking at the location of the proposed new basketball arena it appears they are trying to increase their basketball attendance by tricking their fans into believing they are heading to a football game.

Well having a place to tailgate for basketball games would be cool, which is why the new stadium is next to the Gro...wait, the Grove isn't close to any of their stadiums.

chef dixon
09-23-2013, 09:46 AM
That last picture engie posted actually looks like a pretty cool stadium, although I do agree its too many endzone seats compared to sideline. My biggest problem with their field and a few others in the country is the absolutely terrible fake turf. You gotta love the real grass look.

Bubb Rubb
09-23-2013, 09:51 AM
That last picture engie posted actually looks like a pretty cool stadium, although I do agree its too many endzone seats compared to sideline. My biggest problem with their field and a few others in the country is the absolutely terrible fake turf. You gotta love the real grass look.

There is nothing cool about the stadium in that picture. There are two grandstand sets of bleachers with mismatching covers over the smallish second decks, and then two towering, double deck structures with skyboxes in the endzones. It is hideous. Like someone else said, it's what happens when you piecemeal expansions instead of doing it with proper planning and scalability. At some point in the next 20 or so years I predict that they raze it and build a new stadium from the ground up because they can't sustain growth with what they have.

fishwater99
09-23-2013, 10:13 AM
After we finish our renovation, they will break ground on one within 2 years. The Bears have to have a better venue for football than us...
They can't stand it is we have any success, even if that is just a newer expansion than theirs...
They meed to find a way to add more luxury boxes to the East Side or re-do the West Side boxes.
I would think that would be the major driver $$ of any expansion.

PassInterference
09-23-2013, 10:19 AM
Every single expansion and renovation at Scott Field/DWS has been followed by lipstick on VHS.

Political Hack
09-23-2013, 11:30 AM
I'd be pissed too, but at least they won't have any more rain delays for basketball games.

engie
09-23-2013, 11:41 AM
Let's be honest -- we've both got "piecemeal" stadiums where nothing matches anything else.

We are taking a step to semi correct it in this renovation -- but we are still a long, long way from having any semblance of 2 parts of Davis Wade looking similar...

Bubb Rubb
09-23-2013, 11:44 AM
Let's be honest -- we've both got "piecemeal" stadiums where nothing matches anything else.

We are taking a step to semi correct it in this renovation -- but we are still a long, long way from having any semblance of 2 parts of Davis Wade looking similar...

I acknowledged that ours has issues, but it's nothing like what they have going on.

When we are bowled in, it will look like one big lower horseshoe with two decks. It will look like it is supposed to.

PassInterference
09-23-2013, 11:47 AM

Gotta call bullshit on this. Too many people confuse symmetry with architectural style. Just because our East & West sides aren't identical, its a piecemeal stadium? That is not true at all. Our stadium looks good. The East & West side flow together. There are similarities that tie them together (unlike VHS which has random pieces thrown together).

The endzone is going to look great. The renovation is finally making the exterior looks like more than just an afterthought, and with a classic style that is flows with other new construction and historical buildings on campus. I think we could have done more to the back side of the video board than just make it a Mississippi State billboard.

engie
09-23-2013, 11:57 AM
Gotta call bullshit on this. Too many people confuse symmetry with architectural style. Just because our East & West sides aren't identical, its a piecemeal stadium? That is not true at all. Our stadium looks good. The East & West side flow together. There are similarities that tie them together (unlike VHS which has random pieces thrown together).

The endzone is going to look great. The renovation is finally making the exterior looks like more than just an afterthought, and with a classic style that is flows with other new construction and historical buildings on campus. I think we could have done more to the back side of the video board than just make it a Mississippi State billboard.

And I'm calling bullshit on your bullshit call. You are just seeing what you want to see through maroon goggles.

BOTH stadiums(up until the point of our current endzone expansion as I've already acknowledged) were built as cheaply as possible with zero planning for future development. They did some things right(their ramps aren't erector sets that stick out like a sore thumb -- their general seating is completely congruent around the horseshoe, etc). We did some things right. BOTH got more wrong than right with no logical way to easily correct it now...

maroonmania
09-23-2013, 01:14 PM
And I'm calling bullshit on your bullshit call. You are just seeing what you want to see through maroon goggles.

BOTH stadiums(up until the point of our current endzone expansion as I've already acknowledged) were built as cheaply as possible with zero planning for future development. They did some things right(their ramps aren't erector sets that stick out like a sore thumb -- their general seating is completely congruent around the horseshoe, etc). We did some things right. BOTH got more wrong than right with no logical way to easily correct it now...

Well it really can't be argued that at least we built our orignial grandstands in a way that allowed an upper deck to be placed both on the West and East sidelines (you know where they should be). Most people, given the choice, would certainly rather watch a game from the sideline than an endzone. I mean I haven't seen any broadcasts lately giving the audience the endzone as the primary viewing angle. I mean its fine to fill in the endzones as we are doing our North end zone but its a little silly to me that you would end up having that area as the predominant part of the crowd.

engie
09-23-2013, 01:39 PM
Well it really can't be argued that at least we built our orignial grandstands in a way that allowed an upper deck to be placed both on the West and East sidelines (you know where they should be). Most people, given the choice, would certainly rather watch a game from the sideline than an endzone. I mean I haven't seen any broadcasts lately giving the audience the endzone as the primary viewing angle. I mean its fine to fill in the endzones as we are doing our North end zone but its a little silly to me that you would end up having that area as the predominant part of the crowd.

Of course you would prefer that seating to be on the sidelines -- but it is what it is -- half-ass thought out. Or, moreover, leadership that was lacking perspective of what 20-50 years down the road would bring.

We built allowing upperdecks -- that much is true. With 2 very different lower decks(sitting at different elevations, no less -- with entirely different "tunnel" structuring) -- and then halfassed the first upper deck(without luxury boxes -- 20 yards short)...

I have very little complaint about how we did the east side upper deck. Wish the west side matched that. Of course, it would probably cost $50 mil to make that happen at this point and is just highly, highly unlikely to ever happen...

It's interesting how this was logistically handled beautifully what seems like 100 years ago at the schools now considered to be "football powers". It shows us their "advantage" over us was born in leadership and foresight MANY years ago. Auburn and Bama were both well-designed with future expansion(s) in mind. Same for Tiger Stadium. Fielding Yost DESIGNED Michigan Stadium(with footings placed) to one day seat 200k in the early 1900s. That's just crazy to me...

CJDAWG85
09-23-2013, 01:41 PM
And I'm calling bullshit on your bullshit call.

You can't triple stamp a double stamp!

RougeDawg
09-23-2013, 02:58 PM
Of course you would prefer that seating to be on the sidelines -- but it is what it is -- half-ass thought out. Or, moreover, leadership that was lacking perspective of what 20-50 years down the road would bring.

We built allowing upperdecks -- that much is true. With 2 very different lower decks(sitting at different elevations, no less -- with entirely different "tunnel" structuring) -- and then halfassed the first upper deck(without luxury boxes -- 20 yards short)...

I have very little complaint about how we did the east side upper deck. Wish the west side matched that. Of course, it would probably cost $50 mil to make that happen at this point and is just highly, highly unlikely to ever happen...

It's interesting how this was logistically handled beautifully what seems like 100 years ago at the schools now considered to be "football powers". It shows us their "advantage" over us was born in leadership and foresight MANY years ago. Auburn and Bama were both well-designed with future expansion(s) in mind. Same for Tiger Stadium. Fielding Yost DESIGNED Michigan Stadium(with footings placed) to one day seat 200k in the early 1900s. That's just crazy to me...

If referring to LSU's stadium, it is the worst piece of shit planned stadium I've ever been in. There are so many different levels, and areas that don't line up. You cant even get into certain sections unless you take this or that ramp. I was there Saturday night, and was wondering how much alcohol had been consumed during each of their expansion design sessions. There was clearly a lack of coherent, sober thought that went into the long term planning of that dump.

Bothrops
09-23-2013, 03:13 PM

I hate the fake synthetic turf shit, but it's actually very befitting to the OM alumni. But natural grass is the only thing football in the south should be played on.

Bothrops
09-23-2013, 03:15 PM
They sure as hell didn't plan on having to do any more expansion.