PDA

View Full Version : 2 issues I have with Mullen tonight

Coach007
09-23-2017, 09:13 PM
1- Go to bat early for your guys in the trenches. Several times he should have chewed out the refs for no calls and bad calls. From the first possession it was clear there would be no calls.

2- No show TEs. Seriously.... Why did we not use them in the passing game?

WSOPdawg
09-23-2017, 09:28 PM
1- Go to bat early for your guys in the trenches. Several times he should have chewed out the refs for no calls and bad calls. From the first possession it was clear there would be no calls.

Yep, the TE's not really being involved in the game plan was a head scratcher. But this game also highlighted our deficiencies at WR as not a single one of them could get separation from the DBs.

Bass Chaser
09-23-2017, 09:31 PM
Yep, the TE's not really being involved in the game plan was a head scratcher. But this game also highlighted our deficiencies at WR as not a single one of them could get separation from the DBs.

Speed doesn't create separating route running does. Hell Witten is slow as molasses going up hill in January and he's still productive.

GoDawgz
09-23-2017, 09:35 PM
What i dont get is why is Nick under center so much this year? You totally take away the threat of him running like that.

Coach007
09-23-2017, 09:37 PM

Yeah, It's what opens up a lot of our offense.

Todd4State
09-23-2017, 09:38 PM
What i dont get is why is Nick under center so much this year? You totally take away the threat of him running like that.

I bet we do that less than 10% of the time. I might be wrong about that exact number but I bet I'm not too far off.

JoseBrown
09-23-2017, 09:38 PM

I was just thinking back on the game at how many receivers they had running wide open vs how many I didn't see of ours ever getting wide open. It was really amazing. It's gonna be nice when we get some better receivers, although they did a lot of hanging on to ours throughout the game.

NCDawg
09-23-2017, 09:40 PM

If our OL was good enough to block, being under the center might work. They're not, so we shouldn't get under center.

GoDawgz
09-23-2017, 09:42 PM
Yeah you maybe right, just not used to seeing it over the past years i guess. I noticed it last week, but tonight i noticed it first on a 3rd and 5 and thought you give no option for Nick to run.

MarketingBully
09-23-2017, 09:42 PM

We got shitty Mullen coaching tonight. But I agree, he should have been chewing on the refs all night. 77 was the biggest culprit of holding. They could have called him for holding on every play. 65 also held almost every play. Was extremely bad in which it wouldn’t have surprised me if Kirby and Chaney told those two specifically to hold on every play even when they got caught continue to hold.

Coach007
09-23-2017, 09:43 PM
If our OL was good enough to block, being under the center might work. They're not, so we shouldn't get under center.

OL wasn't the problem tonight. They did well.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
09-23-2017, 09:47 PM
We were so vanilla on both sides of the ball. We didn't motion much on O and it seemed like we didn't blitz the entire game.

Coach007
09-23-2017, 09:49 PM
We were so vanilla on both sides of the ball. We didn't motion much on O and it seemed like we didn't blitz the entire game.

on offense for sure!

DownwardDawg
OL wasn't the problem tonight. They did well.

Huh?

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
Also 18 on defense for UGA had a good game, but was awfully handsy and got away with a lot.

MarketingBully
09-23-2017, 09:52 PM
Also 18 on defense for UGA had a good game, but was awfully handsy and got away with a lot.

Got away with a lot is an understatement. The only play he didn’t interfere or hold on was the interception. I counted four PIs and one hold. Those calls are called if we are in Starkville. Homefield advantage especially this year has led to some blowouts.

Statecoachingblows**
09-23-2017, 09:57 PM
Story of the game: our 1stnoffendove play was a negative yardage pass play. Get nick a completion settle in.
Their first offensive play? A bomb that gets em 6. Our sack draws up in big games.

Coach007
09-23-2017, 09:59 PM
Huh?

The OL Played WELL tonight. This board has an obsession with Hevs.. everything has to be their fault.

They protected Fitz well enough. But when 95% of your passing plays are within 6 yards, you have a defense that will creep.

Nothing wrong with their play.

Coach007
09-23-2017, 10:00 PM
Story of the game: our 1stnoffendove play was a negative yardage pass play. Get nick a completion settle in.
Their first offensive play? A bomb that gets em 6. Our sack draws up in big games.

That's a truth. We did not stretch the field. We played it "safe"

Statecoachingblows**
09-23-2017, 10:04 PM
The OL Played WELL tonight. This board has an obsession with Hevs.. everything has to be their fault.

They protected Fitz well enough. But when 95% of your passing plays are within 6 yards, you have a defense that will creep.

Nothing wrong with their play.
Disagree. Fitz got hammered plenty tonight. We had very few holes for the RBs. We stunk it up across the board tonight. O line is NO exception. We played tight and scared, just like we always do in a game with some importance.

Statecoachingblows**
09-23-2017, 10:05 PM
That's a truth. We did not stretch the field. We played it "safe"

I'll agree. We're always tight when shits on the line.

Coach007
09-23-2017, 10:06 PM
Disagree. Fitz got hammered plenty tonight. We had very few holes for the RBs. We stunk it up across the board tonight. O line is NO exception. We played tight and scared, just like we always do in a game with some importance.

The OL will never account for what you think they should when you can not complete a down field pass and DON'T attempt many.

ShotgunDawg
09-23-2017, 10:12 PM
One of the major pillars of our head coach's QB coaching is his insistence on QBs checking down.

The conundrum is that this is the correct way to develop QBs but it also heavily plays against you when you face teams that are more talented to you.

We can't beat elite teams without taking risks & we don't have the talent to "execute" consistently against them.

That's the one thing that Freeze did that allowed them to pull upsets. He took risks & chucked it.

Sure some times you lose to Memphis when you do that, but it gives you a chance to beat more talented teams.

Mullen is an outstanding coach & developer, but, as we saw tonight, when he is coaching against a sound, more talented defense, we can't score because the offensive structure is asking us to execute against more talented players.

Statecoachingblows**
09-23-2017, 10:12 PM
The OL will never account for what you think they should when you can not complete a down field pass and DON'T attempt many.

Fair enough

ShotgunDawg
09-23-2017, 10:15 PM
Dan post game comments:

"I don't think we executed well in any of the three phases tonight," Mullen said.

No body "executes" against teams like Georgia. You have to be creative & take risks. If you are unwilling to do that, we we'll continue to score 3 points every time we face a Kirby Smart or Saban defense

Mimi's Babies
09-23-2017, 10:15 PM
I knew when I saw the lead ref we were screwed. He hates MSU. PERIOD!!!!!

Coach007
09-23-2017, 10:21 PM
One of the major pillars of our head coach's QB coaching is his insistence on QBs checking down.

The conundrum is that this is the correct way to develop QBs but it also heavily plays against you when you face teams that are more talented to you.

We can't beat elite teams without taking risks & we don't have the talent to "execute" consistently against them.

That's the one thing that Freeze did that allowed them to pull upsets. He took risks & chucked it.

Sure some times you lose to Memphis when you do that, but it gives you a chance to beat more talented teams.

Mullen is an outstanding coach & developer, but, as we saw tonight, when he is coaching against a sound, more talented defense, we can score because the offensive structure is asking us to execute against more talented players.

Which goes back to the spread.

What happens when you can't complete a deep pass? Defense will load the box, crushing the run. More players in the box than blockers for the run.

The spread reverses that concept. You over load the defense with too many people to account for. That leaves you with 1 on 1s. Did we do that tonight? No. Why? We did not use Our TEs. I can not believe we did not see any seam passes to them.

Coach007
09-23-2017, 10:23 PM
Dan post game comments:

"I don't think we executed well in any of the three phases tonight," Mullen said.

No body "executes" against teams like Georgia. You have to be creative & take risks. If you are unwilling to do that, we we'll continue to score 3 points every time we face a Kirby Smart or Saban defense

I'm just calling it as I see it. No TE production in THIS offense equals no wins against elite talent.

Dawg61
09-23-2017, 10:25 PM
I thought the passing play calls were bad tonight and I wasn't happy with the quick snap on 3rd and goal at the end of the first half resulting in us settling for 3. Didn't matter though UGA is just better. We'll see the same exact ass kicking vs Bama.

ShotgunDawg
09-23-2017, 10:29 PM
I mean, when Mullen plays Smart or Saban, it's not like we can't score 20 or 30 points, or are held below our average. No, we can't get into the 17ing endzone at all.

We can't score when those two guys are coaching against us. It's wild. Mullen runs crazy against everyone else, but has never figured out Smart or Saban.

It's mind boggling.

chef dixon
09-23-2017, 10:29 PM
Bottom line Fitz isn't good enough as a real QB

MarketingBully
09-23-2017, 10:34 PM
I'm just calling it as I see it. No TE production in THIS offense equals no wins against elite talent.

How many running plays did we use? I saw Williams up the middle a lot like the Holloway up the middle bullshit last year. We didn’t mix up shit. We didn’t use all of our running plays. As good a game Mullen called last week, he did a terrible job this week. How many zone reads did we see Fitz keep it and get to the outside (zero even called). Our playcalling was vanilla and predictable. If we played LSU this week, we would have been curb stomped. We aren’t as bad as we showed tonight and we aren’t as good as we showed last week. It’s somewhere in the middle. I think we still can go 8-4 or 9-3. I don’t think UGA is as good as they showed tonight.

ShotgunDawg
09-23-2017, 10:37 PM
Bottom line Fitz isn't good enough as a real QB

Nope he's not. Hopefully he can get there.

BTW, Keytaon may be the complete package. He threw some really good balls at the end there.

HoopsDawg
09-23-2017, 10:47 PM
This game was lost the last 3 February's. Period.

msstate7
09-23-2017, 10:52 PM
This game was lost the last 3 February's. Period.

Was last week won the last 3 Februarys? When we win, we have great talent (i.e. Sec offensive and defensive players of the week). When we lose, it's like freeze is posting here... we need to recruit better.

I don't disagree we need better talent, but 90% of the board said we were gonna blast Georgia. Now we suck, again

the59dawg
09-23-2017, 10:56 PM

This is right on.

MarketingBully
09-23-2017, 11:01 PM
Was last week won the last 3 Februarys? When we win, we have great talent (i.e. Sec offensive and defensive players of the week). When we lose, it's like freeze is posting here... we need to recruit better.

I don't disagree we need better talent, but 90% of the board said we were gonna blast Georgia. Now we suck, again

We didn’t have a good offensive gameplan and we went away from our strengths too quickly after UGA went up from the flea-flicker. That really set the tone for the game. After that, Fitz really started pressing and made shitty read after shitty read early. Just wasn’t our night. And as I stated even if the refs make all those holding calls we still would have lost 12 or 15-3. Hopefully Dan has a better gameplan for Auburn. If we can win that game, we can go 10-2 quite easily and go to a Citrus Bowl. Sometimes it just isn’t your night.

Schultzy
09-23-2017, 11:03 PM
Deer in headlights on a national stage.

But we could still win 2/3 on this brutal stretch.

Drugdog
09-23-2017, 11:03 PM
All great points. Mullen tightens up in big games. We never seem to play like we do in a good game. I think we wil be fine, I really do. It is just Dan is going to shit his pants when we have a chance to take the "next big step". It's like he cant stand prosperity. Why? I don't know. But that is his history, which if you study history, points out the future.

Statecoachingblows**
09-23-2017, 11:05 PM

We bought into our own hype. As you said earlier, somehwere, we aren't as good as last week or as bad as tonight.

ShotgunDawg
09-23-2017, 11:08 PM
Deer in headlights on a national stage.

But we could still win 2/3 on this brutal stretch.

It's almost an unfair stretch.

We seem to get these types of stretches often. Do other SEC teams?

I mean, what dumbass in the SEC office thought that MSU playing LSU and back to back on the road vs UGA and Auburn was in any way fair?

msstate7
09-23-2017, 11:10 PM

I mean, what dumbass in the SEC office thought that MSU playing LSU and back to back on the road vs UGA and Auburn was in any way fair?

Om is about to start a brutal stretch themselves

ShotgunDawg
09-23-2017, 11:12 PM
All great points. Mullen tightens up in big games. We never seem to play like we do in a good game. I think we wil be fine, I really do. It is just Dan is going to shit his pants when we have a chance to take the "next big step". It's like he cant stand prosperity. Why? I don't know. But that is his history, which if you study history, points out the future.

He takes ZERO risks and expects his less talented player to execute an offense of check downs on 10+ play drives to beat more talented teams. His strategy isn't realistic against top teams.

dawgday166
09-24-2017, 09:12 AM
I mean, when Mullen plays Smart or Saban, it's not like we can't score 20 or 30 points, or are held below our average. No, we can't get into the 17ing endzone at all.

We can't score when those two guys are coaching against us. It's wild. Mullen runs crazy against everyone else, but has never figured out Smart or Saban.

It's mind boggling.

4 times a year on average he scores 20 pt or less. So it ain't just against Saban and Smart.

MarketingBully
09-24-2017, 09:19 AM
He takes ZERO risks and expects his less talented player to execute an offense of check downs on 10+ play drives to beat more talented teams. His strategy isn't realistic against top teams.

How can you take risks with a WR Corp like we have? Where is our 6’3-6’4” physical receiver that you can go vertical with? Oh yeah that’s right, he took $300k from Ole Miss and is playing there. We had a kid in Starkville MS that is going to be an All-Pro. We have two coming in next year. This year, we have no vertical threat. If we had one, that would have been a different ballgame last night.

msbulldog
09-24-2017, 09:27 AM

Every MSU pass plays longer than 8 yards, the Georgia DB had a arm on or around the targeted receiver. In my book this is pass interference. This didn't cost us the game, but it sure didn't help our cause. Mullen should have been in their face every time.

msbulldog
09-24-2017, 09:33 AM

Nick got hammered on hid running plays, nothing the OL can do about that, he's a running back then.

MarketingBully
09-24-2017, 09:33 AM
Every MSU pass plays longer than 8 yards, the Georgia DB had a arm on or around the targeted receiver. In my book this is pass interference. This didn't cost us the game, but it sure didn't help our cause. Mullen should have been in their face every time.

Yeah, he has no balls and is a ***** when it comes to chewing on the refs. Just plain pitiful. I’d of gotten two sideline warnings, thrown out of the game, and made sure that every big play that resulted because a flag wasn’t thrown was filmed and turned into the SEC office. It was the shittiest performance I have seen from a reffing crew. Why were they even out there?

Coach007
09-24-2017, 09:41 AM
How can you take risks with a WR Corp like we have? Where is our 6’3-6’4” physical receiver that you can go vertical with? Oh yeah that’s right, he took $300k from Ole Miss and is playing there. We had a kid in Starkville MS that is going to be an All-Pro. We have two coming in next year. This year, we have no vertical threat. If we had one, that would have been a different ballgame last night.

17 Jamal Couch WR 6-4 227 So.

20 Reggie Todd WR 6-4 204 Fr. RS

83 Jordan Thomas TE 6-5 280 Sr.

82 Farrod GreenClick here to hear it TE 6-3 246 So. 1L

81 Justin Johnson TE 6-3 247 Jr. 2L

And many others.....

The issue is simple. We did not use our TEs except for blocking.

MS - Receiving
Player Rec. Yds. TD Long
Thomas,Deddrick 2 41 0 21
Jackson,Jesse 2 15 0 12
Gray,Donald 2 13 0 7
Williams,Aeris 5 12 0 9
Mixon,Keith 3 12 0 5
Hill,Kylin 1 10 0 10

None of those are TE completed passes

msbulldog
09-24-2017, 09:48 AM

Well Gun, the SEC must not like Mississippi teams. TSUN has @Alabama, @Aurburn, Vandy & LSU coming up.:o

tcdog70
09-24-2017, 10:47 AM
I saw Fitz get his dick knocked off. Then later in the game he didn't want to pull it and run. He kept giving the ball to the back.

Coach007
09-24-2017, 10:53 AM
Nick got hammered on hid running plays, nothing the OL can do about that, he's a running back then.

Yeah... The OL protected Nick in the passing game. no sacks allowed.