PDA

View Full Version : Final Thoughts On UGA Game

ShotgunDawg
09-22-2017, 01:22 PM
I've read and heard all the arguments this week. I've heard how talented UGA is, road game, etc, but something keeps telling me that MSU is just clicking at a level right now that we haven't seen in the Dan Mullen era. We can run it with multiple players, throw it, block it, and tackle it.

In the past 6 SEC games (About the time Fitz settled in as the starter, MSU has scored the following amount of points:

Kentucky - 38

A&M - 35

Alabama - 3 in an 11:00 game in which we would've rather been in Aleppo

Arkansas - 42

Ole Miss - 55

LSU - 37

Folks, something is up and unless Georgia runs out Bama's team or Kirby Smart finds kryptonite, I think we'll continue to click and I like all the matchups of our defense vs their offense.

I realize I may be laughed at for this prediction, but I'm going MSU - 28 UGA - 13

This happens every week. The farther along we get in the week, the more people forget the eye test and they start leaning on recruiting rankings, tradition, crowd noise, etc.

The eye test tells me MSU is clicking on all cylinders and is about to put the nation on alert tomorrow night.

smootness
09-22-2017, 01:30 PM
I said 24-13, so I'm pretty much with you.

BrunswickDawg
09-22-2017, 01:31 PM
Good write up Shotgun. My wool just keeps getting thicker. My only difference is I think we have a D who takes pride in shutting people down. With Grantham's history in Athens, plus Abram and Rivers, our D is going to be as keyed up as last week and I don't think UGA has an answer on O.

BrunswickDawg calls it 28-6 - no TD's allowed by Grantham's D.

TrapGame
09-22-2017, 01:33 PM
Well, it makes sense.

38 State
17 UGA

This is what my gut has been telling me two days now.

ShotgunDawg
09-22-2017, 01:34 PM
Outside of the Bama game last year, we've averaged 41.4 PPG in our 5 other SEC games.

Basically, by saying we'll score 28, I'm saying that UGA will hold us to 13 points below our average.

Think about that......

Also think about this, they'll be only team taking the field tomorrow night that thinks they can score 35+ points.

Confidence is huge

ShotgunDawg
09-22-2017, 01:39 PM
Compared to what we've been doing on offense since Fitz settled in, outside of Alabama last year, Msu would have to play it's worst offensive game in a long time to lose this one

Reason2succeed
09-22-2017, 01:46 PM
Well, it makes sense.

38 State
17 UGA

This is what my gut has been telling me two days now.

I'm feeling the exact same score but previously I said 38-24 accounting for a late UGA score to make it look respectable.

ShotgunDawg
09-22-2017, 01:48 PM
Good article here by Sammon basically saying it isn't smoke and mirrors.

https://twitter.com/willsammon/status/911295558740054020

If we play sound football, don't have critical injuries, or terrible turnovers, it's lights out in Athens.

Stop looking at the logos on the helmets

Coach 57
09-22-2017, 01:49 PM
I think it boils down to how our LBs play. I feel pretty good about our DL, but in order to stop UGA the way they run the ball we must be gap disciplined from the LB position. I think they will open up trying to get Fromm a little comfortable by throwing some intermediate stuff. BTW, I love the kid. I think he has a bright future in Athens if he can stay healthy. Loved him in high school, loved how humble he is and the fact he's open with his faith in Christ too. But putting all that aside, I think Grantham will give him some crazy looks after the first 2 drives. To throw him off of his comfort zone, some mixed coverages. One thing we need to understand is that Grantham's level of football accumine is really high and he has infused some looks that are translatable from the NFL to the SEC. The kid to look for is not going to necessarily be Simmons in this game but rather Dez & Abrams. These are going to be keys to translating the calls in the field to the necessary players.

Offensively I think we need to be patient, we were last week and it payed off. Kirby is going to try to do the same to Fitz that we are to Fromm. The only difference is Fitz has seen SEC speed, Fromm has not. ND is a bowl team but they don't possess the speed the athletic ability the SEC defenses have. Be patient and eventually you'll have guys in the secondary make mental mistakes with coverages & lose eye discipline and then we'll have big plays.

I said last year I felt CDM would go to a more "Relf-fense" offensive scheme and he has. This team reminds me a lot of our 2010 team with far greater athletic talent at the skill positions. Aeris reminds me of a slower Vick Ballard. He runs SO hard and when he sees a hole he hits it with ferocity. Gibson is like Perkins was and Fitz is a faster, more athletic & more accurate Relf. I think we pull this out late in the 4th in a tough environment 27-20.

Dawg496
09-22-2017, 01:51 PM
Outside of the Bama game last year, we've averaged 41.4 PPG in our 5 other SEC games.

Basically, by saying we'll score 28, I'm saying that UGA will hold us to 13 points below our average.

Think about that......

Also think about this, they'll be only team taking the field tomorrow night that thinks they can score 35+ points.

Confidence is huge

Hell even if you include Bama, our average over that span is 35 PPG in SEC play. UGA holding us to 28 would be 7 points below that, which I think is perfectly reasonable.

So the question is can a freshman QB score 28 on Grantham? I think you are on the money here. I'll give them a bit more credit for the home field and say State 28 UGA 24.

Political Hack
09-22-2017, 02:03 PM
27-13 good guys

Dawgface
09-22-2017, 02:03 PM
I'll give them a bit more credit for the home field and say State 28 UGA 24.

Pretty much how I see it.

TrapGame
09-22-2017, 02:07 PM
The Dawg Nation insider that was on with Doug on 620am this morning said Fromm was lucky that ND's DBs were not SEC caliber. He thinks State has SEC caliber DBs and he expects at least one interception because of this.

confucius say
09-22-2017, 02:33 PM
1. Can we match their intensity? They will be jacked and We have to bring it just like we did last week, and that is tough to do two weeks in a row.

2. Can fitz outplay fromm in the passing game? They will slow our ground game and we will slow theirs.

bulldawg28
09-22-2017, 03:02 PM
I've read and heard all the arguments this week. I've heard how talented UGA is, road game, etc, but something keeps telling me that MSU is just clicking at a level right now that we haven't seen in the Dan Mullen era. We can run it with multiple players, throw it, block it, and tackle it.

In the past 6 SEC games (About the time Fitz settled in as the starter, MSU has scored the following amount of points:

Kentucky - 38

A&M - 35

Alabama - 3 in an 11:00 game in which we would've rather been in Aleppo

Arkansas - 42

Ole Miss - 55

LSU - 37

Folks, something is up and unless Georgia runs out Bama's team or Kirby Smart finds kryptonite, I think we'll continue to click and I like all the matchups of our defense vs their offense.

I realize I may be laughed at for this prediction, but I'm going MSU - 28 UGA - 13

This happens every week. The farther along we get in the week, the more people forget the eye test and they start leaning on recruiting rankings, tradition, crowd noise, etc.

The eye test tells me MSU is clicking on all cylinders and is about to put the nation on alert tomorrow night.

I love this write-up! You are seeing correctly sir. Ain't nobody stopping the Fitz train but Fitz. He's special with no intimidation, cold blooded!

RocketDawg
09-22-2017, 03:15 PM
I said 24-13, so I'm pretty much with you.

27-17 with a couple of field goals.

Commercecomet24
09-22-2017, 03:18 PM
27-10 Maroon and White colored Bulldogs

Dental Dawg33
09-22-2017, 03:19 PM
31-10 Maroon and White Dawgs. This team is playing with confidence. They are playing harder than I've seen a state team play in a while. If our offense can sustain drives, even if we don't score on them all, our defense is going to wreak havoc and remain rested. We already made a statement with the bayou tigahs, but I think you're about to see an even bigger statement tomorrow night. Hail State baby!!

West Tn Dawg
09-22-2017, 03:33 PM
All I know is, if we beat Georgia, they will fall in the same boat as LSU. They are not very good and over rated!*****

Commercecomet24
09-22-2017, 03:35 PM
Here's our rushing stats through those same 6 SEC Games:

UK-39 Attempts 281 yards
AM-58 Attempts 365 yards
Bama-35 Attempts 94 yards
Arky-35 Attempts 205 yards
unm-47 Attempts 457 yards
LSU-48 Attempts 285 yards

That's 262 Attempts for 1687 yards. 281 yards per game and 6.4 yards a carry

If you take out the Bama game. 227 Attempts for 1593 yards. 319 yards per game at 7.0 yards per carry

I had to do the math twice to make sure I wasn't misreading it. Our Ground game has been dang near unstoppable in SEC action. Those are some serious number against SEC competition. That's a big enough sample size to say that this is a trend and not an aberration.

ShotgunDawg
09-22-2017, 03:39 PM

UK-39 Attempts 281 yards
AM-58 Attempts 365 yards

If you take out the Bama game. 227 Attempts for 1593 yards. 319 yards per game at 7.0 yards per carry

I had to do the math twice to make sure I wasn't misreading it. Our Ground game has been dang near unstoppable in SEC action. Those are some serious number against SEC competition. That's a big enough sample size to say that this is a trend and not an aberration.

Yup. We are past the point of teams adjusting to the film.

Something is going on. UGA is good, but I think their offense puts them in some tough spots defensively tomorrow night which leads to some easy points.

BrunswickDawg
09-22-2017, 03:56 PM

UK-39 Attempts 281 yards
AM-58 Attempts 365 yards

But our OL sucks***

Anonymous
09-22-2017, 03:56 PM
I just don't think UGA is very good.

TrapGame
09-22-2017, 04:02 PM

They are putting way too much weight on that Notre Dame game. They beat ND by 1 point.

mparkerfd20
09-22-2017, 04:03 PM
I predicted earlier this week 27-14 State, so I don't think you're that far off.

smootness
09-22-2017, 04:15 PM

UK-39 Attempts 281 yards
AM-58 Attempts 365 yards

You can't ignore the Bama game, though. UGA's run defense is extremely good.

Commercecomet24
09-22-2017, 04:23 PM

True uga has a great defense. So did LSU. Last week this time people seemed to think we wouldn't be able to run the ball against them either, but we put almost 300 on them. It's definitely going to be an interesting matchup.

smootness
09-22-2017, 04:28 PM
True uga has a great defense. So did LSU. Last week this time people seemed to think we wouldn't be able to run the ball against them either, but we put almost 300 on them. It's definitely going to be an interesting matchup.

Interesting indeed. I'm not saying we won't run it on them, I'm just saying we shouldn't assume we will. LSU was a big test, but they were a little hobbled and lost 2-3 more in their 2-deep during that game.

Would it have mattered? No, almost certainly not, we were clearly better than them. I do think UGA is better on defense, though, especially up front. If we can run on them, we can run on anybody, including Alabama.

CadaverDawg
09-22-2017, 04:43 PM
I think too many people think bc Smart coached under Saban, he IS Saban. He is not, and I think we prove that Saturday. Maroon Dawgs 27 Other Dawgs 16

BoomBoom
09-22-2017, 04:59 PM

UK-39 Attempts 281 yards
AM-58 Attempts 365 yards

but A&M, Arky, and UM D were all horrible last year (if i remember right and without checking any stats). KY probably pretty bad too. So LSU stands out as ab aberration, maybe. we'll find out tomorrow. i'm cautiously optimistic at this point about the offense. but i don't think it matters. i think the D is legit, and the O at least good enough that you can't keep giving them the chances that the D will grant them.

confucius say
09-22-2017, 06:02 PM
Georgia's front 7 will be the best we've faced since Bama and the best or second best we will face this year.

Commercecomet24
09-22-2017, 06:04 PM
Will we rush for 300 against uga? Probably not. But I can see us going for 200 or close to it. With the other weapons we have on offense and our d if we protect the ball that's plenty. The point is our run game has proved itself over an sec schedule. And it's not just how many yards, it's the yards per carry and the fact we get tackled for a loss very rarely. That's an efficient run game.It makes defenses have to gameplan to stop it and it opens up other windows. I'm confident that we will run it efficiently enough to win.

It ain't Holloway up the middle anymore.

Skydawg1
09-22-2017, 06:12 PM
1. Can we match their intensity? They will be jacked and We have to bring it just like we did last week, and that is tough to do two weeks in a row.

2. Can fitz outplay fromm in the passing game? They will slow our ground game and we will slow theirs.I think UGA will come out flat. Watch.

jbjones
09-22-2017, 06:25 PM
I think UGA will come out flat. Watch.

If that happens, it might not be a pretty game. We know both the D and Offense can improve, but they can win as is. Add on to that that Cooke will flip the field if necessary, and Christmann can hit 45 yarders. The Maroon Dawgs are a dangerous bunch. I'm really looking forward to this game.

BrunswickDawg
09-22-2017, 06:59 PM
If that happens, it might not be a pretty game. We know both the D and Offense can improve, but they can win as is. Add on to that that Cooke will flip the field if necessary, and Christmann can hit 45 yarders. The Maroon Dawgs are a dangerous bunch. I'm really looking forward to this game.
Something to remember too - UGA's kicker Blankenship is a high maintenance head case.

BulldogBear
09-22-2017, 07:36 PM
Blackout night. I'm glad UGA knows they need to dress for burial.

MSU 20, UGA 10

msstate7
09-22-2017, 07:41 PM
I really have no feel for this game. I can either team winning.

WSOPdawg
09-22-2017, 07:41 PM
When two tough defenses line up, give me the team with the better, more-experienced QB any day -- and that's Fitz!!!

Plus, Fitz going back home to play the school that ignored him, Abrams returning, Grantham returning... we got guys with a chip on their shoulder.

Also, I love the "swagger" that Simmons and Abrams and Sweat and Bryant and MacLauren bring to the field -- this D may be the nastiest we've had since the late 90s.

MSU 27, UGA 13

RocketDawg
09-22-2017, 08:10 PM
I really have no feel for this game. I can either team winning.

Melting already? ** :)

msstate7
09-22-2017, 08:18 PM
Melting already? ** :)

Getting a head start.

sanfordrjones
09-22-2017, 08:55 PM
If we play like we did last weekend vs. LSU, we're going to whip their asses. Like, not 28-13, but closer to 41-6. Yeah, I'm feeling woolly right now, and I'm not that impressed with UGA.

Commercecomet24
09-22-2017, 08:57 PM
Getting a head start.

Wanna talk about a melt. 7 do you remember when Kevin Mcglinchy gave up the walk off grand slam(it actually wound up being a single cause he passed a runner)to Robin Ventura of the Mets in the 99 playoffs? I put my fist through a door. My wife was pissed. I've mellowed some since then.

msstate7
09-22-2017, 08:59 PM
Wanna talk about a melt. 7 do you remember when Kevin Mcglinchy gave up the walk off grand slam(it actually wound up being a single cause he passed a runner)to Rubin Ventura of the Mets in the 99 playoffs? I put my fist through a door. My wife was pissed. I've mellowed some since then.

Lol... my biggest melt has been David carpenter giving up game-winning hr to uribe with Kimbrel ready

TUSK
09-22-2017, 09:02 PM

yep, and the defenses mentioned above (uk, am, ark, om) were really porous..

Commercecomet24
09-22-2017, 09:02 PM
Lol... my biggest melt has been David carpenter giving up game-winning hr to uribe with Kimbrel ready

Man don't remind me, that was brutal! Did you destroy anything though lol

Commercecomet24
09-22-2017, 09:08 PM

300 yards a game at 6.5 a clip is serious ground game no matter who you're playing.

ETA and that includes the Texas and notre dame front 7 lol

BHildreth3
09-22-2017, 09:09 PM
I keep thinking our offensive line is going to have a hard time blocking UGA. I hope we can.

msstate7
09-22-2017, 09:12 PM
Man don't remind me, that was brutal! Did you destroy anything though lol

Haha... nah, just the braves' message board with "fire fredi"

Commercecomet24
09-22-2017, 09:13 PM
Haha... nah, just the braves' message board with "fire fred"

Poor Freddie never met a game or division championship he couldn't blow

msstate7
09-22-2017, 09:15 PM

We ran for the most vs om and aTm. We ran for 2nd most vs Kentucky

IMissJack
09-22-2017, 09:58 PM
GA is good. We are good, it will take 100% effort and few mistakes.

biggun
09-23-2017, 05:54 AM
Ww

Think about that......

What did we score in our bowl game last year? Stats can be easily manipulated.

Confidence is huge

Going to be a war in Athens tonight!
LET'S GO MSU BULLDOGS!!!!!

msbulldog
09-23-2017, 09:08 AM

Comet my friend, don't forget LSU's DL was severely undermanned. They came in to the game with their #1 DL (Key) playing his first game of the season and really out of shape. They didn't have their #2 who was out from the get go with a foot injury. Then during the game they lost 1 to injury and 2 to ejection. To Dan Mullen's credit as a great coach he went 2-1 run to pass ratio and wore the remaining DL out, those boys tongues were hanging to their knees in the 4th quarter.:)

msbulldog
09-23-2017, 09:09 AM
No prediction, JUST WIN BABY! HAIL STATE!