PDA

View Full Version : Mullen has to stay for 2018....

Hasu Dackds
09-19-2017, 02:12 PM
We lose Rankin, Gray, Myles, Cleveland, Harris, Durr and Thomas. We gain Guidry, Rivers and Cole plus a whole recruiting class, featuring Heath who could play immediately.

Whatever jobs he could get this year, will be better next year.

Texas A&M and/or Tennessee would have to pay 6-7 million to get him. I don't think he fits at either.

I will say this - we should all be Notre Dame fans from here on out. If we beat Georgia in Athens, who beat them in South Bend, they may be motivated to pay the money. If Notre Dame antes up and pays 6-7 million, I will shake coach's hand and wish him well. Promote Gonzales and we'll still be awesome in 2018.

ShotgunDawg
09-19-2017, 02:18 PM
Not sure Billy G is a head coach.

After Mullen leaves we'll have a desirable job.

Dez Harris could potentially come back.

thf24
09-19-2017, 02:20 PM
I hope Mullen is smart enough not to go to Notre Dame if given the opportunity. Without making fundamental changes to their identity (they won't), no coach is going to get them back to the level of consistent success they once had, yet they'll still hold onto those expectations for decades. I'm not saying we shouldn't accept that Mullen might find other opportunities attractive, but all the Notre Dame job is good for at this point is setting a coach's career back a decade.

lefty96
09-19-2017, 02:24 PM
I hope Mullen is smart enough not to go to Notre Dame if given the opportunity. Without making fundamental changes to their identity (they won't), no coach is going to get them back to the level of consistent success they once had, yet they'll still hold onto those expectations for decades. I'm not saying we shouldn't accept that Mullen might find other opportunities attractive, but all the Notre Dame job is good for at this point is setting a coach's career back a decade.

I would say there is a large enough sample size to where anyone with half a brain realizes that matching up any big resource school with any big name coach is no guarantee of anything(except maybe a nice contract and huge buy out). I don't expect Mullen to retire at MSU, but I would think he'd be pretty mindful of what job he would take next.

shannondawg
09-19-2017, 02:25 PM
Why does he have to leave? That sounds like ole miss crap to me. And why even bring it up?

preachermatt83
09-19-2017, 02:26 PM
Notre dame will not pay that kind of money. Mullen will stay to reap the fruit of his 9 years invested. He'd be dumb to leave the cupboard that full for someone else. Not to mention we gonna give him a nice raise if the season continues the way it is going.

smootness
09-19-2017, 02:27 PM
Why do we continue to do this to ourselves?

Lord McBuckethead
09-19-2017, 02:28 PM
These threads do nothing for our team. Mullen is here because he wants to be. Just like everyone everywhere. You work the job because you either have to (some people) or want to (Mullen). Mullen could have left years ago, but didn't. He is close to getting the program to the next level. 4 years of what we did in 2014 and we will no longer be seen as the lower tier SEC doormat. All it takes is our coaching staff to stabolize, keep UM down, and win games and he will be the one responsible for building something.

Can you imagine, people still think Bear Bryant is better than Saban? That is what it would be like going to Notre Dame.

AlSwearengen
09-19-2017, 02:31 PM
Wherever Mullen ends up next, his life gets consiberably less comfortable. He is going to have to persuade Megan that it is worth it. She was pretty vocal about not liking Florida and the pressure from fans and media. He can get another raise from his buddy Cohen and continue to build. Hell, he has gotten it to the point where things should be a little easier. If the Baylors and the TCU's can do it, we can as well.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
09-19-2017, 02:31 PM
There won't be many 7-5, 6-6, hell even 8-4 seasons allowed in South Bend. The pressure will be immense.

TrapGame
09-19-2017, 02:34 PM
This team would beat the shit out of Notre Dame, in South Bend. Mullen is on the cusp of building a monster in the SECW.

RougeDawg
09-19-2017, 02:38 PM
Jesus Christ. Just stop these ignorant threads. He's not leaving for anything other than him being flat out bored. SMFH again at our fan base for even allowing this thought to remain in one's mind more than 10-15 seconds

He's going to get paid top 10 money at MSU if these next 2 years finish out to 80% of their potential. He calls his shots with regard to facilities and program upgrades. He has taken a bottom tier program, elevated it to an upper middle class program, with a chance to push a program to never before seen levels over the next decade. Our rivals have had their entire beaver dam blown to smitherines and we are about to start dominating the state of Mississippi for the foreseeable future.

Someone please lay out a plan that proves how Dan could be so ignorant and flat out stupid to leave the situation he has now found himself in? I'd be more apt to believe a leprechaun would ride a unicorn and lead the team on the Dog Walk before the Bama game than Mullen leaving anytime soon. He wants an Urban Meyer type legacy and you can't build that going to a program that already has one of those previously.

As I've said more times than I can count, our fan base had held us back more than anything in our history. These threads need to stop because they will only be used against us and fans who keep harping on this need to STFU or get a vacation from the board.

Pollodawg
09-19-2017, 02:41 PM
Not sure Billy G is a head coach.

After Mullen leaves we'll have a desirable job.

Dez Harris could potentially come back.
Agree on Billy G. Whenever someone has been a coordinator as long as he has, it's rare you see them make the jump to HC. Look at what happened to Ellis Johnson. It's the reason Chavis and Grantham aren't head coaches.

Liverpooldawg
09-19-2017, 02:41 PM
Why are you guys playing THEIR game?

RougeDawg
09-19-2017, 02:42 PM
Why do we continue to do this to ourselves?

Because we have a lot of fans with an engrained losers mentality. It's the same group who said we barely had a chance to beat LSU. It's the same group who complains about playing La Tech on the road or USM. This same shit, loser mentality is why we are so far behind in the arms race and were shit on by the conference for so many decades. Until the loser mentality is gone you'll continue to see this and sadly I don't think any of our older fans will ever shake this mentality. They are scared to start thinking and acting like a winner. The fear or losing trumps the joy of winning.

Pollodawg
09-19-2017, 02:42 PM
Why are you guys playing THEIR game?

This.

ShotgunDawg
09-19-2017, 02:48 PM
Sheesh. I'm not sure who I dislike more: the media guys who write these articles or the posters here who don't want to discuss it. He ain't leaving and no one is freaking out. We just talkin sports mane.

Please stop telling us to stop freaking out and stop discussing this.

We'll be ok but quit your whining. It's nauseating

basedog
09-19-2017, 02:49 PM
Why does he have to leave? That sounds like ole miss crap to me. And why even bring it up?

I agree, why in the world are folks even talking about him leaving, he just signed an extension.

Funny how some where saying we can do better.

Dawgface
09-19-2017, 02:50 PM

Probably is.....

ShotgunDawg
09-19-2017, 02:51 PM
I agree, why in the world are folks even talking about him leaving,.

Because we like talking sports and Msu football. It's ok.

shannondawg
09-19-2017, 03:00 PM

Well you will probably get your rocks off on this .. https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/its-time-for-dan-mullen-to-strike-while-the-iron-is-hot-and-plan-his-exit/

fader2103
09-19-2017, 03:07 PM
Hev has been looking to become a HC if only we could land him****

TrapGame
09-19-2017, 03:07 PM
Well you will probably get your rocks off on this .. https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/its-time-for-dan-mullen-to-strike-while-the-iron-is-hot-and-plan-his-exit/

Dennis Dodd is a dick. He had LSU beating us easily. Yeah, **** you Dennis! This is his mea culpa to the college football world.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
09-19-2017, 03:11 PM
Jesus Christ. Just stop these ignorant threads. He's not leaving for anything other than him being flat out bored. SMFH again at our fan base for even allowing this thought to remain in one's mind more than 10-15 seconds

He's going to get paid top 10 money at MSU if these next 2 years finish out to 80% of their potential. He calls his shots with regard to facilities and program upgrades. He has taken a bottom tier program, elevated it to an upper middle class program, with a chance to push a program to never before seen levels over the next decade. Our rivals have had their entire beaver dam blown to smitherines and we are about to start dominating the state of Mississippi for the foreseeable future.

Someone please lay out a plan that proves how Dan could be so ignorant and flat out stupid to leave the situation he has now found himself in? I'd be more apt to believe a leprechaun would ride a unicorn and lead the team on the Dog Walk before the Bama game than Mullen leaving anytime soon. He wants an Urban Meyer type legacy and you can't build that going to a program that already has one of those previously.

As I've said more times than I can count, our fan base had held us back more than anything in our history. These threads need to stop because they will only be used against us and fans who keep harping on this need to STFU or get a vacation from the board.

Well said!!!

Reason2succeed
09-19-2017, 03:18 PM
These articles are just CLICK BAIT!!!! Don't fall for them. They get clicks from fans of schools that are in the market for a new coach and they get clicks from us. What we need to do is call into Bo Bounds and the Finebaum show and tell them EMPHATICALLY why "Mullen to" makes absolutely zero sense. We have to combat the narrative but accept that it will always be a narrative.

Commercecomet24
09-19-2017, 03:20 PM

Preach, Rouge! Rep Given!

smootness
09-19-2017, 03:22 PM
Sheesh. I'm not sure who I dislike more: the media guys who write these articles or the posters here who don't want to discuss it. He ain't leaving and no one is freaking out. We just talkin sports mane.

Sorry, but I don't want to be discussing our desperate need for Mullen to stay just one more year past this year while we're 3 games into what could be a pretty awesome season.

Commercecomet24
09-19-2017, 03:23 PM
Is Dennis Dodd a bear?

confucius say
09-19-2017, 03:26 PM
Just inform hev that ND has to recruit nationally. No recruiting base. Hev: "hell no dan, we ain't going to nd"

Commercecomet24
09-19-2017, 03:29 PM
Just inform hev that ND has to recruit nationally. No recruiting base. Hev: "hell no dan, we ain't going to nd"

Now that's funny!

starkvegasdawg
09-19-2017, 03:35 PM
Let's see...we're 3-0, just beat the #12 team in the nation like a rented mule, our instate rival is a flaming bag of dog excrement, putting together a stellar recruiting class, and became nationally ranked. I know. Let's talk about our coach leaving.

DownwardDawg
09-19-2017, 03:41 PM
Thread should be locked and ban the next poster to start such a stupid thread.

Johnson85
09-19-2017, 03:42 PM
Sorry, but I don't want to be discussing our desperate need for Mullen to stay just one more year past this year while we're 3 games into what could be a pretty awesome season.

What about depth chart for next year?

Starting offense will be the same, minus Rankin, Thomas, Gray, and Myles. We'll likely replace Gray and Myles with comparable talent (or maybe better talent that's not as experienced). Thomas we will downgrade but we have some solid TEs to choose from.
Rankin will be a significant downgrade, but RT should be significantly better with Reese going from RS Fr to RS SO year. Qb should be better with Fitz getting another year under his belt. Hill should be a good bit better as backup RB going from FR to So year. And then we'll get normal improvement from everybody else as they go from RS So or Jr year to RS Jr or Sr year.

On defense, we'll lose Sweat, Dez Harris, Durr, and Cleveland. Sweat will be tough to replace, but SPencer is good. Then we need one CB to emerge with Peters and we will basically be set.

I'm pumped about this year, but I don't remember ever having a depth chart almost completely penciled in for the next year with that many proven guys. Something to think about to pass the time until UGA.

Liverpooldawg
09-19-2017, 03:48 PM

You are playing their game. This is exactly what they want us to be doing.

BB30
09-19-2017, 03:50 PM
Because we have a lot of fans with an engrained losers mentality. It's the same group who said we barely had a chance to beat LSU. It's the same group who complains about playing La Tech on the road or USM. This same shit, loser mentality is why we are so far behind in the arms race and were shit on by the conference for so many decades. Until the loser mentality is gone you'll continue to see this and sadly I don't think any of our older fans will ever shake this mentality. They are scared to start thinking and acting like a winner. The fear or losing trumps the joy of winning.

Agree with what you are getting at to an extent but you have been on a roll lately... A few fans on a message board aren't going to impact a whole hell of a lot in the big scheme of things. Jumping on fellow Dawgs is pretty dumb. There is a way to get your point across with a little more tact.

Pretty sure those fans still showed up to the game and still cheered their a** off and as long as they do that they are ok in my book. So what if some are eternal pessimists every fanbase has them it isn't only confined to MSU fans.

Hasu Dackds
09-19-2017, 03:55 PM
He wants an Urban Meyer type legacy and you can't build that going to a program that already has one of those previously.
Right. Like Florida and Ohio State?

Hasu Dackds
09-19-2017, 03:57 PM

Starting offense will be the same, minus Rankin, Thomas, Gray, and Myles. We'll likely replace Gray and Myles with comparable talent (or maybe better talent that's not as experienced). Thomas we will downgrade but we have some solid TEs to choose from.
Rankin will be a significant downgrade, but RT should be significantly better with Reese going from RS Fr to RS SO year. Qb should be better with Fitz getting another year under his belt. Hill should be a good bit better as backup RB going from FR to So year. And then we'll get normal improvement from everybody else as they go from RS So or Jr year to RS Jr or Sr year.

On defense, we'll lose Sweat, Dez Harris, Durr, and Cleveland. Sweat will be tough to replace, but SPencer is good. Then we need one CB to emerge with Peters and we will basically be set.

I'm pumped about this year, but I don't remember ever having a depth chart almost completely penciled in for the next year with that many proven guys. Something to think about to pass the time until UGA.
Are you expecting Sweat to go in the draft? He's just a junior. I'll wait until after the season to worry about draft eligible juniors.

smootness
09-19-2017, 03:57 PM

I'll allow this. I looked at the seniors on our roster the other day and it blew my mind how few impact guys there are.

Sweat is a junior.

Hasu Dackds
09-19-2017, 03:58 PM

Agreed. It ain't that big a deal. We all didn't want Jackie to leave back in 98-00 but as it turns out it might have worked out for the best if he did. If Mullen leaves, we'll get another good coach for the exact same reasons that everyone thinks he will stay.

A bunch of folks wanted him fired last year. It's football, coaching change happens.

Hasu Dackds
09-19-2017, 04:02 PM
If things are going very well I've never had a problem with hiring from within. It works for some and not for others. I guess that is for the Intense Bastard to decide.

Bothrops
09-19-2017, 04:09 PM
We lose Rankin, Gray, Myles, Cleveland, Harris, Durr and Thomas. We gain Guidry, Rivers and Cole plus a whole recruiting class, featuring Heath who could play immediately.

Texas A&M and/or Tennessee would have to pay 6-7 million to get him. I don't think he fits at either.

I will say this - we should all be Notre Dame fans from here on out. If we beat Georgia in Athens, who beat them in South Bend, they may be motivated to pay the money. If Notre Dame antes up and pays 6-7 million, I will shake coach's hand and wish him well. Promote Gonzales and we'll still be awesome in 2018.

Disagree. If we were to lose Mullen after this year, everything would be up in the air as far as 2018, and likely beyond. Everything changes with a staff change, and we probably would have to hire our 3rd or 4th choice as a HC. We should be very good next year, but only if Mullen is here.

ShotgunDawg
09-19-2017, 04:19 PM

Then feel free to not click on the thread

Gutter Cobreh
09-19-2017, 04:32 PM

So we are 3-0, heading into a marquee matchup, and the only thing sports related you want to discuss is what school Mullen will leave us for?

Seems legit. Carry on I guess!!***

Matt3467
09-19-2017, 04:56 PM
Here we go again.......

yjnkdawg
09-19-2017, 05:03 PM
I wish people who start threads like this or say we can do what we want to do on here, would just take one minute and think before they post or comment. What good does this do? Our fans can be MSU's worst enemy sometimes, and this site has been known for certain posters who will post Mullen to somewhere whether it was posted in a negative or a positive manner. Why don't we just let things resume as normal and be elated over what has been accomplished so far. To the best of my knowledge, Dan has not said anything about leaving and Megan still loves Starkvegas. As somebody else commented, threads like these only help somebody else's agenda and it is not for the betterment of MSU. But keep on keep on posting stuff like this and it will be used against us.

BossDawg
09-19-2017, 05:27 PM
We will be absolutely stacked next year. He'd be stupid to leave that behind.

Anyway, all this "Mullen to xxxx" sandpapers my ass every year, and it has already started. Usually it holds off until toward the end of the season. I just don't see WHY Mullen would want to leave anyway, he has it made at State. Name any "better" job he'd consider, and it's a job where you can't lose without riots breaking out in the streets. At State he has all the wiggle room he wants, not to mention one of the fattest paychecks in the country.

BossDawg
09-19-2017, 05:28 PM
I wish people who start threads like this or say we can do what we want to do on here, would just take one minute and think before they post or comment. What good does this do? Our fans can be MSU's worst enemy sometimes, and this site has been known for certain posters who will post Mullen to somewhere whether it was posted in a negative or a positive manner. Why don't we just let things resume as normal and be elated over what has been accomplished so far. To the best of my knowledge, Dan has not said anything about leaving and Megan still loves Starkvegas. As somebody else commented, threads like these only help somebody else's agenda and it is not for the betterment of MSU. But keep on keep on posting stuff like this and it will be used against us.

+1

Bucky Dog
09-19-2017, 07:04 PM
Lock this ****ing thread and everyone just like it. Good Lord we can be so freaking stupid as fans. Don't bring this shit up and have recruits start questioning this and having other schools use it against us. Is it that ****ing hard to just STFU and go with it?! If he leaves, he leaves. Shit!

Political Hack
09-19-2017, 10:05 PM

It's funny how ape shit the talking heads go after one home win as an underdog. When we're undefeated headed into Bama, I could see this but all this chatter is about as premature as booking playoff reservations.

yjnkdawg
09-19-2017, 10:11 PM

Can you give one intelligent reason what spurred you to start this thread? Oh and by the way, Gonzales will not be the HC.
*Puts the phone down and listens*.

yjnkdawg
09-19-2017, 10:19 PM

I totally agree smoot. Some of our fanbase (well some on this board) seem to have to have Dan going somewhere where it's because of a great season or a season like we had last year. Unreal!!!!

dawgday166
09-19-2017, 11:04 PM
Now that's funny!

Ain't it tho! And true!

Hasu Dackds
09-20-2017, 08:44 AM
Can you give one intelligent reason what spurred you to start this thread? Oh and by the way, Gonzales will not be the HC.
*Puts the phone down and listens*.

To discuss it. Who the hell are you, antifa?

shannondawg
09-20-2017, 09:26 AM
To discuss it. Who the hell are you, antifa?

Why?