PDA

View Full Version : Why is the National Media So Concerned About Dan Mullen's Career?

ShotgunDawg
09-19-2017, 11:23 AM
This is the damnedest thing I've ever seen. I understand that there will be objections for me posting this, but we've reached the point of absurd with how concerned the media appears to be with where Dan Mullen is coaching. It's the point that it appears they are worried about something.

Two articles today:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/its-time-for-dan-mullen-to-strike-while-the-iron-is-hot-and-plan-his-exit/

http://gridironnow.com/dan-mullen-definitively-answers-one-secs-hottest-off-season-questions/

It's just an absurd conversation.

Why would Mullen leave now when 2017 & 2018 are his most talented teams at MSU?

Why would Mullen leave now when his main rival has destroyed themselves?

Why would Mullen leave now when the 2019 MS high school class is the most talented in the state's history & MSU may have a chance to control it?

Why would Mullen leave now to take over bad programs with unrealistic expectations when he is just now really starting to reap the fruit of his time in Starkville?

All we were told in 2014 is that Mullen had to leave MSU because he had hit his ceiling, yet now we are being told the same thing yet again?

So, if the 2017 & 2019 MSU teams are potentially better than MSU's 2014 team, then how has Mullen reached his ceiling?

Sure, MSU is a "small market" job, but so was Duke at one point in basketball. Davis Wade Stadium has turned into one of the great atmospheres in college football that is wonderful to recruit to.

At what point, does the media just admit that MSU is a really good football program & stop thinking it's a dump that Dan Mullen has to be rescued from?

Again, it just appears as though the media is worried about something. Their insistence & begging that he moves on just seems odd. It's an obsession that lacks logic

Commercecomet24
09-19-2017, 11:33 AM
I could be dead wrong but Dan appears to me to be an "empire builder" type. He wants to leave his own mark and do something everyone said couldn't be done. At State he's "the man" and he knows it. He gets to run his program like he wants without much interference, he makes a dang good living, his family enjoys being here. He's got quite a good life, why leave and screw it up?

Liverpooldawg
09-19-2017, 11:34 AM
Just get ready for it. It will be a constant drum beat. You know the source of this crap as well as I do. It originates the same place nearly all of the "Mullen to wherever" stuff starts. It will be worse this time because they know what's about to happen to them.

ShotgunDawg
09-19-2017, 11:35 AM
This may be the only thing I ever agree with OM fans about, but it truly feels like blue blood programs believe they are the only ones that have the right to win. There is some extreme entitlement there.

MrKotter
09-19-2017, 11:36 AM
Just get ready for it. It will be a constant drum beat. You know the source of this crap as well as I do. It originates the same place nearly all of the "Mullen to wherever" stuff starts. It will be worse this time because they know what's about to happen to them.

Sadly, it will be trumpeted by a few mods of this site too

GreenheadDawg
09-19-2017, 11:36 AM
It's a good question. The media seems to make it a point to dog MSU, our facilities, and our program. Everytime we win a few games these articles immediately start popping up. Other than a few programs, we can pay with anybody.

IMissJack
09-19-2017, 11:38 AM
Because he goes against their entire narrative. No one can win at MSU, blah, blah, blah. That has changed to no one can win a championship at MSU. They will keep saying he needs to leave, until eventually he does, and they say they were right (even though they were wrong for 9 years and counting). I'll say this, Dan may leave while he is at this high, but there is no " elite" program that is going to give the same time table to win big that MSU has, while paying top 15 pay, with little pressure. Doesn't sound like that bad of a job. The biggest problem with most teams is they don't give the coach enough time to be successful.

Let's hope he is not from the same cloth as Stricklin, who left his own school for greener pasture.

Leeshouldveflanked
09-19-2017, 11:39 AM
I think Notre Dame would be our real worry...But they would have to come up with some big time $$$$ but if he was going to leave for a bigger job besides Notre Dame, it would have been in 2014..

Commercecomet24
09-19-2017, 11:39 AM
Do y'all know how bad places like FSU, BYU, Va Tech, etc were before Bowden, Edwards and Beamer took over? They started those winning traditions at their respective schools and the country considers them "brands" now. Tradition has to start somewhere. JWS got us going and Dan taking us to another level!

Hail State

ShotgunDawg
09-19-2017, 11:44 AM
What gets me is that EVERY program had a great coach that got the ball rolling.

What was Bama before Bear?

Oklahoma before Wilkenson?

Ohio State before Woody?

FSU before Bowden?

Auburn before Shug?

LSU before Saban?

Tennessee before Neyland?

Michigan before Bo?

Etc.

All these programs were built when the NCAA controlled TV contracts. Was there some sort of clause in a contract that said all those programs forever had the right to win? Or is it possible that other programs could also have great coaches and build their tradition? Or did you have to build it in the 60s or your SOL?

Dawg61
09-19-2017, 11:45 AM
The answer you're seeking is that people can't stand for other people to have enjoyment so they will seek out a way to thrown shade on our sunny day after destroying LSU. They know Mullen leaving is a soft spot for MSU people so that's why you're seeing it right after we looked so great on Saturday. Be prepared you're also going to see a bunch of people trying to take down Jeffery Simmons too. Don't fall for the trolls Shotgun. They got you already.

Commercecomet24
09-19-2017, 11:45 AM

Ohio State before Woody?

FSU before Bowden?

Auburn before Shug?

LSU before Saban?

Michigan before Bo?

Etc.

All these programs were built when the NCAA controlled TV contracts. Was there some sort of clause in a contract that said all those programs forever had the right to win? Or is it possible that other programs could also have great coaches and build their tradition? Or did you have to build it in the 60s or your SOL?

Right on! Rep given!

Cooterpoot
09-19-2017, 11:46 AM
As I look around the various MSU sites, I see this is being overblown by our fans. There's like 3 threads on each site. Either you're being played for a fool or you're intentionally spreading bullshit. Just stop

IMissJack
09-19-2017, 11:46 AM
Do y'all know how bad places like FSU, BYU, Va Tech, etc were before Bowden, Edwards and Beamer took over? They started those winning traditions at their respective schools and the country considers them "brands" now. Tradition has to start somewhere. JWS got us going and Dan taking us to another level!

Hail State

Depends on Dan's goals, and what he wants to live with, but he is sitting in a good place to do the same. OM on probation, team starting to gel, recruiting improving, Saban will retire while Dan still has years of coaching ahead, etc.

TUSK
09-19-2017, 11:51 AM
I think it's good for you guys to get this ink... This happens a lot of places (even with Saban @ Bammer)...

At minimum, it's better than the alternative....

Commercecomet24
09-19-2017, 11:53 AM
I think it's good for you guys to get this ink... This happens a lot of places (even with Saban @ Bammer)...

True dat

TrapGame
09-19-2017, 11:55 AM

True. How many articles did we see with Saban to Texas or Saban to the Colts last year?

HSVDawg
09-19-2017, 11:57 AM
The most important question is why would he leave when Saban has, at absolute most, only 5 good years left before hanging up the spurs?

We are in great shape to have the most stable program in the West when it happens. OM will still be in shambles and Ark, LSU, Auburn, and A&M are all extremely likely to have major coaching turnover within the next 2-3 years. My guess is at least 3 of those 4 will fire their head coach over that time period with one in Sumlin already being a sure thing. Great opportunity there to win bigger than ever. Maybe the best one that Mullen will ever have.

TUSK
09-19-2017, 11:58 AM

Really good.

Alabama's Frank Thomas & Wallace Wade were stellar...

But your point is well taken.

Dawg61
09-19-2017, 11:59 AM
True. How many articles did we see with Saban to Texas or Saban to the Colts last year?

A bunch and eventually the storm passes as the trolls get bored

anubus
09-19-2017, 12:34 PM

Hail State

Well put even mighty Bama had to build a foundation but the idiot fan bases of those schools are too arrogant/stupid to realize that.You can win at Mississippi State just like at those schools

Dawgology
09-19-2017, 12:46 PM
If Mullen finishes the rest of the year like he began the year he will be making 6 million a year next season...at MSU. Don't let anyone tell you that we can't match what another program will offer if we want to. If he continues this upward trajectory and some program gets stupid enough to offer him 9-10 mil a year then, sure, we would let him go but beyond that he's here.

TimberBeast
09-19-2017, 12:49 PM
It could be worse. The main question I have seen asked of freeze today is "well if he had burner phones, why didn't he just use that to call his hookers rather than his school issued phone?"

Commercecomet24
09-19-2017, 12:54 PM
If Mullen finishes the rest of the year like he began the year he will be making 6 million a year next season...at MSU. Don't let anyone tell you that we can't match what another program will offer if we want to. If he continues this upward trajectory and some program gets stupid enough to offer him 9-10 mil a year then, sure, we would let him go but beyond that he's here.

Exactly! Some of these people act like we have no resources at all, when in fact we can and will pay top dollar for great coaches in any sport(see: baseball, basketball, womens basketball, softball, etc,etc). We may be 13th or whatever in revenue in the SEC but on a national scale our income is pretty dang spiffy. The idiots that write these articles apparently do no research on who and what we pay, and what resources we have(i.e. facilities,admin,benefits) to get some of the best coaches in the country. This is not grandaddys MSU!

Dawg61
09-19-2017, 12:55 PM
It could be worse. The main question I have seen asked of freeze today is "well if he had burner phones, why didn't he just use that to call his hookers rather than his school issued phone?"

I still think it's on the table that it was planted by someone else. Freeze said himself he had no recollection of that call and didn't redact it because he thought it was a simple misdial. How can it be ruled out that someone else made that call using his phone to plant it as an out for Ole Miss.

Maroonthirteen
09-19-2017, 01:21 PM
What other fans and media don't get, Is we can pay and he has job security at State. He can do what he is doing now and be the coach as long as he wants.

aTm, UT and Ark are slightly above average programs with expectations to be Alabama. If he goes there and doesn't win the conference (beat Saban regularly) he will be fired in a few years. The expectations at these schools are way beyond the ability of these programs.

Arkansas ran off Nutt because a couple of freshmen transferred and he ran the ball to much.

Tennessee ran off Fulmer after he won the a NC there, first since the 1950s. The place has been a turnstile since Fulmer left.

aTm....hadn't a coach won much more than .600 there since Jackie Sherrill, 30+ years ago. That place has been a revolving coaches chair.

Reason2succeed
09-19-2017, 01:52 PM
These articles are just CLICK BAIT!!!! Don't fall for them. They get clicks from fans of schools that are in the market for a new coach and they get clicks from us. What we need to do is call into Bo Bounds and the Finebaum show and tell them EMPHATICALLY why "Mullen to" makes absolutely zero sense. We have to combat the narrative but accept that it will always be a narrative.

Jack Lambert
09-19-2017, 01:59 PM
I think he is here for at lest next season. Next season is the season. Also Poor Miss State isn't poor. We get SEC money too. It is going to take a bunch of money to get him to move.

Lord McBuckethead
09-19-2017, 03:19 PM
He is here until he doesn't want to be. If he keeps getting his recruits he wants, why leave. Best competition, best facilities, fans show up and make Home field a big advantage. Why even discuss it.

Tbonewannabe
09-19-2017, 03:44 PM

Hail State

Another thing that those places have in common, stadiums named after them or at a minimum statue of the coach at the stadium. Does Dan want to put his name on MSU forever or just be one of the guys who won somewhere else? Does Dan want to reap the benefits of all the hard work of building a great foundation of a program? He has more control over his program than probably any coach not named Saban. The football facility was built to his specifications. I imagine we are about to build another endzone pretty soon with new locker rooms. Dan will have a lot to do with that. I think Megan likes actually living where she can go to the grocery store after a loss and not have people talk crap about her husband.

Our facilities for football are top 20 level pretty much in every way. Our stadium isn't the biggest but it is nice and getting better. There is only so much you can do without it just being wasteful.

BB30
09-19-2017, 04:00 PM
I think it is hilarious.. We are three games into the season. There were some articles middle of last year that he was on the hot seat and some fans in this thread that were really down on Mullen. Several in this thread have criticized him every "down" year he has. It is funny how things and opinions change so quickly.

My advice to all is to sit back and enjoy the ride for however long it is and realize that if and when the time comes to find another coach that our program is in much better shape and much more attractive than it once was. Quit worrying about things out of your control and just enjoy it.

parabrave
09-19-2017, 04:19 PM
I think Notre Dame would be our real worry...But they would have to come up with some big time $$$$ but if he was going to leave for a bigger job besides Notre Dame, it would have been in 2014..

Why would he go to ND. He has no ties whatsoever to that school. No one since Holtz has done Sh#$ there and they are not going to pay him what he is making here. And here he only has to put up with 34 and some others.

Commercecomet24
09-19-2017, 04:20 PM
Another thing that those places have in common, stadiums named after them or at a minimum statue of the coach at the stadium. Does Dan want to put his name on MSU forever or just be one of the guys who won somewhere else? Does Dan want to reap the benefits of all the hard work of building a great foundation of a program? He has more control over his program than probably any coach not named Saban. The football facility was built to his specifications. I imagine we are about to build another endzone pretty soon with new locker rooms. Dan will have a lot to do with that. I think Megan likes actually living where she can go to the grocery store after a loss and not have people talk crap about her husband.

Our facilities for football are top 20 level pretty much in every way. Our stadium isn't the biggest but it is nice and getting better. There is only so much you can do without it just being wasteful.

Right! I've felt that way about Dan since the beginning. That he wanted to build something that he could put his stamp and name on and not just be another coach in someone elses history. I honestly believe he wants to be the coach our program is known for. Maybe I'm crazy. Time will tell for sure, but he has definitely put HIS stamp on MSU football.

RocketDawg
09-19-2017, 04:32 PM
Right! I've felt that way about Dan since the beginning. That he wanted to build something that he could put his stamp and name on and not just be another coach in someone elses history. I honestly believe he wants to be the coach our program is known for. Maybe I'm crazy. Time will tell for sure, but he has definitely put HIS stamp on MSU football.

Exactly.

Mimi's Babies
09-19-2017, 04:39 PM
Interesting that the same BS started at week 3... Move forward.

Remember that MSU doesn't have the BS from the "boosters running the program" like other schools.

Bothrops
09-19-2017, 05:02 PM
Regardless of the facts, the national media perception remains that MSU is poor, bad facilities, small fanbase, blue collar fans, subpar game day experience, less talent, and poor recruiting profile. We would literally have to win, not one, but two NC's, to completely lose this media monkey on the back. They are the liberal media, afterall. They simply see us the way they want to see us. This is the way it's gonna be, and whenever it is we do lose Mullen, all of this noise will turn to crickets, because MSU will become irrelevant in their eyes. This is the storyline they push, because they are jealous of MSU with Mullen. It's not hard to see once viewed from our position.

Maroonthirteen
09-19-2017, 06:07 PM
I find it interesting that national personalities and writers are talking about coaching changes week 3. It seems they hotseat talk starts earlier each year. All these teams (and coaches) have plenty of games left to play before the season is defined.

Bucky Dog
09-19-2017, 06:53 PM
Guys, don't fall for this and DO NOT spread this shit. We are not going to be our own worst enemies anymore. Dan makes just outside of top 10 money. Think about that. And as others have said, he seems different right now and knows he can be Beamer at VA Tech and be the ONE that set us on the course. We can pay him another 500 to a mil and he is close to top 5 pay. Give him incentives.

Just let's all agree to stop with the posts that say they hear he is going here or there from now on and have his back. If he leaves for the Brinks Truck Golden job, then he does. Hail State!

TaleofTwoDogs
09-19-2017, 08:35 PM

Ohio State before Woody?

FSU before Bowden?

Auburn before Shug?

LSU before Saban?

Michigan before Bo?

Etc.

I get what you are saying and there's a lot of truth in the fact that the HC makes the program. But to be factual, Bama had already won 5 SEC championships before the Bear stepped on campus.

yjnkdawg
09-19-2017, 10:02 PM
Congratulations! You are doing exactly what the media who wrote those articles wanted . To get more views and more controversy. Controversy = News. All of this is specualtion. I highly doubt that the media will dictate what Dan does.