PDA

View Full Version : Cohen grabs another one!

engie
09-21-2013, 11:02 PM
Noah Hughes from Jackson Prep...

Gene Swindoll ‏@GeneSwindoll 50m
Noah Hughes has just committed to MSU baseball. The rich get richer.

Was 11-0 last year as a soph with a 2.45ERA, 68.2IP, 64hits, 24ER, 26BB, 76K's

Has been semi-expected with his teammate committing a few weeks ago. Kid has a very high ceiling IMO...

Todd4State
09-21-2013, 11:09 PM
BIG pick-up for us. He is Prep's ace as a sophomore. He's already 6'2" and per PG his fastball topped out at 87 this summer- and he's still growing. He'll probably be in the 90's by the time he is a senior- if not sooner.

We've pretty much gotten the top five juniors committed for Mississippi- Austin Riley, Luke Alexander, Jake Mangum, Keegan James, and now Hughes.

Hughes has been on my want list for awhile.

M.Fillmore
09-21-2013, 11:12 PM
Noah is a good kid too. I have watched his progress for many years. My son played against him many times.

messageboardsuperhero
09-22-2013, 12:44 AM
If they all make it to campus, that 2015 class will go down as one of the best ever at State. Just the Mississippi kids alone make it damn strong, but we haven't even seen who all Cohen is bringing in from out of state.

Bully13
09-22-2013, 12:50 AM
Noah Hughes from Jackson Prep...

Was 11-0 last year as a soph with a 2.45ERA, 68.2IP, 64hits, 24ER, 26BB, 76K's

Has been semi-expected with his teammate committing a few weeks ago. Kid has a very high ceiling IMO...

what am I missing?

Todd4State
09-22-2013, 12:50 AM
If they all make it to campus, that 2015 class will go down as one of the best ever at State. Just the Mississippi kids alone make it damn strong, but we haven't even seen who all Cohen is bringing in from out of state.

We're on a lot of guys out in Georgia. We'll see how many of those players that we can pick up.

Todd4State
09-22-2013, 12:59 AM
what am I missing?

He was a sophomore. His stats are as good as a lot of seniors in high school. He will only get better. Also, of those 64 hits that he allowed, only 16 went for extra bases- and he allowed no home runs. Just going off of the stats- he needs to improve his control a little bit- but again it's pretty good compared to where you would expect him to be as a 16 year old.

MsStateBaseball
09-22-2013, 06:55 AM
All we need now is Dallas Woolfolk.

messageboardsuperhero
09-22-2013, 08:29 AM

I was thinking the same thing. The MS baseball class for 2015 is stacked in general, and we're just cherry picking them.

MsStateBaseball
09-22-2013, 09:08 AM
BTW, every weekend we will have visitors. We will continue to get commits for 14-16.

Todd4State
09-22-2013, 09:10 AM

Fortuantely, we'll have Austin Riley and Keegan James in our corner since they all play on the same high school team at DeSoto Central.

Also, there are some guys that I want to see next year that might be good prospects, but they haven't had an opportunity to play a lot- Ford Axtell from Madison Central, and Cannon Gibbs and Shelton Wallace out of Northwest Rankin.

Will James
09-22-2013, 09:42 AM
He was a sophomore. His stats are as good as a lot of seniors in high school.

His K numbers as a soph are better than many senior prospects.

MsStateBaseball
09-22-2013, 09:48 AM
Anyone know anything about Hill Garbo? LHP for MC, I know we are looking at him.

Todd4State
09-22-2013, 12:44 PM
Anyone know anything about Hill Garbo? LHP for MC, I know we are looking at him.

He's another Dulin's Dodgers player. He saw limited action last year for MC because he was a sophomore- he pitched in two games, and I know that this is extremely limited data, but in 3.1 innings pitched he had 9 K's and 0 walks. He doesn't throw all that hard- 81 per PG, but he is LH and he is more of a Ross Mitchell type.

Todd4State
09-22-2013, 12:58 PM
I did some homework on Garbo- he is at the Area Code Games this weekend and he's hitting in the high 80's. I don't know what he did between the now and when he threw at PG, but maybe no so fast on the Ross Mitchell part.

MsStateBaseball
09-22-2013, 01:13 PM
Thanks. We need more LHP every year. Butch told me 50% of SEC hitters bat left, I would think teams only got 30-40% lefty pitching to counter act that.

M.Fillmore
09-22-2013, 01:21 PM
Ford Axtell and Hill Garbo are both good kids. Axtell was fabulous in an elimination game last season when Madison got knocked out of the playoffs (6 innings, 1 unearned run allowed). When a sophomore does that at a packed house and in a high pressure game, it is impressive.

A lot of kids may look good in front of 30 people against Hinds AHS.

Todd4State
09-22-2013, 04:21 PM
Thanks. We need more LHP every year. Butch told me 50% of SEC hitters bat left, I would think teams only got 30-40% lefty pitching to counter act that.

That is very interesting.

Todd4State
09-22-2013, 04:22 PM
Ford Axtell and Hill Garbo are both good kids. Axtell was fabulous in an elimination game last season when Madison got knocked out of the playoffs (6 innings, 1 unearned run allowed). When a sophomore does that at a packed house and in a high pressure game, it is impressive.

A lot of kids may look good in front of 30 people against Hinds AHS.

I think it's worth noting that the team that eliminated MC was DeSoto Central- and Austin Riley was a huge part of that.

WeWonItAll(Most)
09-22-2013, 05:39 PM
Fortuantely, we'll have Austin Riley and Keegan James in our corner since they all play on the same high school team at DeSoto Central.

Also, there are some guys that I want to see next year that might be good prospects, but they haven't had an opportunity to play a lot- Ford Axtell from Madison Central, and Cannon Gibbs and Shelton Wallace out of Northwest Rankin.
He had some pretty big mechanical flaws in the infield at the beginning of last year that kept him from winning a position, on top of the talent at NWR that was older than him. But he definitely has the potential to be a really good player once he sees the field more this year, and I'm personally hoping he hits that potential. He's a great kid