PDA

View Full Version : Netflix - What are you watching / Have watched master thread

ScoobaDawg
09-15-2017, 10:30 AM
Atypical

Watched the whole first season last night... Really enjoyed it.
My wife's little brother is very much like the main character so it was really funny at times. The actor did an amazing job portraying an autistic kid.
Evidently it was a big hit and will be renewed for a 2nd season with 10 episodes. Check it out.

BrunswickDawg
09-15-2017, 03:43 PM
Watched it about 3 weeks ago. Excellent show. I have a close friend with a 6 year old autistic boy who recommended it to us.

Netflix has rolled out some high quality shows.

Have you checked our Ozark?

ScoobaDawg
09-18-2017, 10:01 PM
Watched it about 3 weeks ago. Excellent show. I have a close friend with a 6 year old autistic boy who recommended it to us.

Netflix has rolled out some high quality shows.

Nope thinks it's on my list..

Need to bump or recreate the netflix thread so people can give more suggestions

HereComesTheSpiral
09-19-2017, 08:41 AM
Norseman, British comedy about Vikings.

BulldogBear
09-19-2017, 07:11 PM
I want to watch Norseman.

We've recently finished The Last Kingdom, Foyle's War, La Esclava Blanca, and am currently watching 'Allo, 'Allo.

ScoobaDawg
09-20-2017, 01:58 AM
Just watched the first season of "Master of None" it was pretty funny. Really good..
If you liked the movie "The big sick" that came out recently... you will like it.

ScoobaDawg
09-20-2017, 01:59 AM
Watching "The White Helmets" now.. Just so sad what is going on a world away...

Tbonewannabe
09-20-2017, 09:07 AM
Watching "The White Helmets" now.. Just so sad what is going on a world away...

I haven't watched the show but I read an article and those people are real heroes. The word Heroes probably gets thrown around too much now but it fits with what they are doing. I couldn't imagine living in that type of environment and doing what they are.

Prediction? Pain.
09-20-2017, 12:09 PM
(This turned out way, way longer than I originally intended. Woops.)

The White Helmets is incredibly moving and well worth a watch. If you're like me and are only vaguely up to speed on world news, it's an eye-opener as well.

In a similar vein, the 2010 documentary Restrepo on Netflix is a must-see. It's about a group of U.S. soldiers in Afghanistan. Moving, informative, well-produced, exciting, funny, and everything else you could hope for in a movie featuring our troops.

There are so many options on Netflix these days that it's hard to keep up. I think I spend more time scouring the service's enormous library than actually watching its content. I really, really need to use the "My List" function more than I do.

Right now, the only series we're watching on Netflix is GLOW. It's alright, but nothing that's going to blow you away. Not a bad option if you're looking for an amusing 30-minute show that doesn't require you to invest too much attention or thought.

In the past year or so, though, I've watched a few series on Netflix, including Rectify, the first season and a half of Love, Making a Murderer, the first season and a half of Broadchurch, and Detectorists. All are solid in their own way.

Rectify is one of the better shows I've seen anywhere in recent memory and I highly recommend it. A southern drama about a dude released from prison after DNA evidence overturned his murder conviction. Set -- and filmed -- in a small, Georgia town, created and directed by a southern actor (the "bona fide suitor" from Oh Brother Where Art Thou), and stars mostly southern actors. It's totally character driven and isn't fast-paced or action packed. It's just good.

Love is a comedy about twentysomethings who suck at relationships. It's produced by Judd Apatow, and it reminds me a little of some of his older stuff. Check the trailer out to see who's in it. (The chick who played "Britta" on Community is the female lead, but I don't remember what all the main dude was in.) It's funny and easy to watch. I sort of trailed off as the second season was winding down, but I'm sure I'll revisit it later.

I assume I don't need to pump Making a Murderer to anyone. It's as interesting and engaging as you've heard.

Broadchurch is a well-produced and well-acted murder mystery focused on law enforcement in a small, tourist town on the coast of England. If you're into shows about crime or police, it's worth a look.

Detectorists is hard to describe in a way that makes it sound worthwhile, but it really is a great show. It's a comedy set in rural England and is about, well, two dudes who spend their free time out in the English countryside looking for stuff with their metal detectors. It's charming, lighthearted, funny, and well done across the board.

Oh yeah, and I've watched all the Marvel shows on Netflix, including the newest installment, The Defenders. If anyone wants my two cents on them, let me know.

As for movies, there are a ton that are on my list to watch, but like I said before, I seem to scan through them all more frequently that I watch any of them. I did watch Dr. Strange fairly recently. It was one of the better Marvel movies I've seen. And the effects were pretty damn incredible. (I should note, though, that I'm into the more tripped out side of Marvel's stuff than others may be, so Dr. Strange appealed to me more than most of the other franchises Marvel produces. (If it's any indication, I'm a big fan of the show Legion.))

Two random Netflix recs and I'll end my novel:

The Third Man. One of my favorite movies ever. WWII-era film noir. Great cast, incredibly filmed, and the single-instrument score is perfect.

Peep Show. One of the funniest shows I've ever seen. It's a British comedy filmed in the first-person, so it takes a few episodes to get your bearings. Just funny as hell though.

BrunswickDawg
09-20-2017, 01:08 PM
I'm going to throw in Amazon Prime shows too -

Sneaky Pete - excellent show created by Bryan Cranston. The story arc is stellar. Maybe Giovanni Ribisi's best role. Cranston is a bad-ass again. Maybe the best show I've seen this year.

Transparent - get past any hangups someone may have about trans anything and it is a hilarious show about an incredibly dysfunctional family. It's probably not for everyone, but I enjoyed it.

Fortitude - just started last night and I'm not sold on it yet. Murder and pathogen exposure in Iceland above the arctic circle. Interesting cast with Michael Gambon, Christopher Eccelston, Stanley Tucci, and at some point Dennis Quaid ( he hasn't been in the first 2 shows). a B Sky B show.

On Netflix - Stranger Things - If you were a late 70s/early 80s kid you have to watch this show. It's almost like a Stephen King version of The Goonies. Makes me miss my BMX Huffy, tape decks, and Tales from the Crypt.

Prediction? Pain.
09-20-2017, 01:42 PM
Stranger Things - If you were a late 70s/early 80s kid you have to watch this show. It's almost like a Stephen King version of The Goonies. Makes me miss my BMX Huffy, tape decks, and Tales from the Crypt.

Can't believe I forgot about that one. It's awesome. I'm stoked for the second season, which I think hits in a just a few weeks.

Sneaky Pete sounds great. Love Bryan Cranston, and I remember enjoying Ribisi back in the day. Makes me wish I had Amazon Prime.

HereComesTheSpiral
09-20-2017, 02:53 PM
The Punisher is coming out sometime this year, have high hopes for that one.

rolodawg
09-20-2017, 03:57 PM
I also watched Atypical, good show.

I highly recommend "Hell On Wheels". Cullen Bohannon is one bad dude! The Sweed may be the best villain I have seen on TV, you will learn to hate that 17'er. Gets long the last season is the only negative.

The Last Kingdom is good, but I had read the books before the show started. Only two seasons out so far, but should have a few to follow to keep up with the books.

Tbonewannabe
09-21-2017, 09:34 AM

Sneaky Pete - excellent show created by Bryan Cranston. The story arc is stellar. Maybe Giovanni Ribisi's best role. Cranston is a bad-ass again. Maybe the best show I've seen this year.

Transparent - get past any hangups someone may have about trans anything and it is a hilarious show about an incredibly dysfunctional family. It's probably not for everyone, but I enjoyed it.

Fortitude - just started last night and I'm not sold on it yet. Murder and pathogen exposure in Iceland above the arctic circle. Interesting cast with Michael Gambon, Christopher Eccelston, Stanley Tucci, and at some point Dennis Quaid ( he hasn't been in the first 2 shows). a B Sky B show.

On Netflix - Stranger Things - If you were a late 70s/early 80s kid you have to watch this show. It's almost like a Stephen King version of The Goonies. Makes me miss my BMX Huffy, tape decks, and Tales from the Crypt.

I don't currently have a Netflix subscription but I will get one for the new season of Stranger Things. It was a fantastic show and I hope season 2 doesn't disappoint.

As far as the Marvel shows, I loved Daredevil season 1 and I watched half of Jessica Jones and just didn't get into it. I might break down and binge finish it. I liked Luke Cage and Iron Fist comics when I was young so I would like to see how they did them. Anyone have an opinion on the Defenders? So far it has the worst ratings of the rest but I know a lot of people didn't enjoy Iron Fist.

Tbonewannabe
09-21-2017, 09:34 AM

I highly recommend "Hell On Wheels". Cullen Bohannon is one bad dude! The Sweed may be the best villain I have seen on TV, you will learn to hate that 17'er. Gets long the last season is the only negative.

The Last Kingdom is good, but I had read the books before the show started. Only two seasons out so far, but should have a few to follow to keep up with the books.

It looks similar to Deadwood in a way which is a great thing imo. I just haven't given it a chance.

Tbonewannabe
09-21-2017, 09:36 AM
If you could binge watch one show out of 2 choices which do you pick: Breaking Bad or Sons of Anarchy?

Also, is Black Sails worth watching the whole thing? I have seen season 1 and part of 2.

Prediction? Pain.
09-21-2017, 10:45 AM
As far as the Marvel shows, I loved Daredevil season 1 and I watched half of Jessica Jones and just didn't get into it. I might break down and binge finish it. I liked Luke Cage and Iron Fist comics when I was young so I would like to see how they did them. Anyone have an opinion on the Defenders? So far it has the worst ratings of the rest but I know a lot of people didn't enjoy Iron Fist.

I never read any of the comics behind Netflix's Marvel shows, but here's my take:

I think that Daredevil's second season, Jessica Jones, and Luke Cage are all worth checking out, though each stumbled in different ways. The hellbent secrecy and day-to-day actions of the main dude in Daredevil were fine in Season 1, but became hammy and disjointed in Season 2. (Huzzah for the arrival of the Punisher, though.) The berserker ex-special ops character in Jessica Jones was just plain dumb, and, like you, I struggled on the back half of the show. (I stopped watching altogether with two episodes left and had to come back almost a year later to cap it off.) And Luke Cage flopped around a bit once the main villain came into focus later in the season.

That said, if you liked the first season of Daredevil, you'll dig the second season as well. I didn't like it quite as much as the first, but it's still solid. Jessica Jones ends well enough, I guess, and you should probably finish it since you've already invested the time on the front end. And Luke Cage is solid and worth a look. After Daredevil, I think I like it the best of Netflix's Marvel shows.

Iron Fist . . . . Yeah, it's not so good. I honestly think that it starts off well enough. The premise is no less interesting to me than that of the other Marvel shows on Netflix, and the first couple or three episodes progress well enough. The acting seemed about on par with what you'd expect, though one or two of the American accents are grating. (What's the deal with all the Brits in these shows cast as Americans? And if they're the best fit for the roles, why not just make them be damn British?) The fighting is fine. And one of the female leads -- the Iron Fist's eventual love interest and fellow kung fu savant -- is not only solid in her role but is also fairly easy on the eyes. (She was one of the "Sand Snakes" in Game of Thrones, if that gives you any idea.)

But the show starts to derail as you reach the mid-point of the season, and eventually it just falls off the tracks. In fact, a couple of times later on, it has some laughably bad moments. The story and writing had pitfalls to be sure, but for me one of the main culprits was the lead character's flip from "chill warrior monk struggling to control his understandably strong desire for revenge" to "surly adolescent whiner with a poor temper and total lack of self control." Not only was it totally out of character for the dude we met early in the show (he was supposed to have been raised for 15 years by mystical monks, after all), but it was annoying as hell and piss-poorly acted.

Even still, if only because you enjoyed the comics, I think it'd be worth giving Iron Fist a causal whirl sometime, knowing that it may eventually flame out. If nothing else, you'll need to watch it if you're going to watch the Defenders.

And speaking of the Defenders, I'd put its quality on the middle of the Netflix-Marvel spectrum. Better than Iron Fist and maybe, taken as a whole, Jessica Jones, but not as good as Luke Cage or Daredevil.

If you end up watching Iron Fist and Luke Cage (and the Defenders, I guess), I'm interested to hear your perspective since you're a fan of the comics.

Prediction? Pain.
09-21-2017, 10:52 AM
If you could binge watch one show out of 2 choices which do you pick: Breaking Bad or Sons of Anarchy?

I've only seen a few episodes of Sons of Anarchy, so I'm no help there. But I'm firmly on board with those who think Breaking Bad was one of the best shows in the past decade or two.

HereComesTheSpiral
09-21-2017, 11:50 AM

Also, is Black Sails worth watching the whole thing? I have seen season 1 and part of 2.

Season 2 is kind of the downer for Black Sails, finish it.

ScoobaDawg
09-21-2017, 01:32 PM
(This turned out way, way longer than I originally intended. Woops.)

The White Helmets is incredibly moving and well worth a watch. If you're like me and are only vaguely up to speed on world news, it's an eye-opener as well.

In a similar vein, the 2010 documentary Restrepo on Netflix is a must-see. It's about a group of U.S. soldiers in Afghanistan. Moving, informative, well-produced, exciting, funny, and everything else you could hope for in a movie featuring our troops.

There are so many options on Netflix these days that it's hard to keep up. I think I spend more time scouring the service's enormous library than actually watching its content. I really, really need to use the "My List" function more than I do.

Right now, the only series we're watching on Netflix is GLOW. It's alright, but nothing that's going to blow you away. Not a bad option if you're looking for an amusing 30-minute show that doesn't require you to invest too much attention or thought.

In the past year or so, though, I've watched a few series on Netflix, including Rectify, the first season and a half of Love, Making a Murderer, the first season and a half of Broadchurch, and Detectorists. All are solid in their own way.

Rectify is one of the better shows I've seen anywhere in recent memory and I highly recommend it. A southern drama about a dude released from prison after DNA evidence overturned his murder conviction. Set -- and filmed -- in a small, Georgia town, created and directed by a southern actor (the "bona fide suitor" from Oh Brother Where Art Thou), and stars mostly southern actors. It's totally character driven and isn't fast-paced or action packed. It's just good.

Love is a comedy about twentysomethings who suck at relationships. It's produced by Judd Apatow, and it reminds me a little of some of his older stuff. Check the trailer out to see who's in it. (The chick who played "Britta" on Community is the female lead, but I don't remember what all the main dude was in.) It's funny and easy to watch. I sort of trailed off as the second season was winding down, but I'm sure I'll revisit it later.

I assume I don't need to pump Making a Murderer to anyone. It's as interesting and engaging as you've heard.

Broadchurch is a well-produced and well-acted murder mystery focused on law enforcement in a small, tourist town on the coast of England. If you're into shows about crime or police, it's worth a look.

Detectorists is hard to describe in a way that makes it sound worthwhile, but it really is a great show. It's a comedy set in rural England and is about, well, two dudes who spend their free time out in the English countryside looking for stuff with their metal detectors. It's charming, lighthearted, funny, and well done across the board.

Oh yeah, and I've watched all the Marvel shows on Netflix, including the newest installment, The Defenders. If anyone wants my two cents on them, let me know.

As for movies, there are a ton that are on my list to watch, but like I said before, I seem to scan through them all more frequently that I watch any of them. I did watch Dr. Strange fairly recently. It was one of the better Marvel movies I've seen. And the effects were pretty damn incredible. (I should note, though, that I'm into the more tripped out side of Marvel's stuff than others may be, so Dr. Strange appealed to me more than most of the other franchises Marvel produces. (If it's any indication, I'm a big fan of the show Legion.))

Two random Netflix recs and I'll end my novel:

The Third Man. One of my favorite movies ever. WWII-era film noir. Great cast, incredibly filmed, and the single-instrument score is perfect.

Peep Show. One of the funniest shows I've ever seen. It's a British comedy filmed in the first-person, so it takes a few episodes to get your bearings. Just funny as hell though.

Good post.
Restrepo is only on DVD now so must of rotated off..but It's on my list to check out.
My list is overloaded. I have to be in the mood to start a series... and I have I'd say over 25 series I want to check out.

I'm gonna skip on watching "Making a Murderer" due to everything I've heard about it. But if you likae that style be sure to check out The confession tapes. I think every 2 episodes is a new story.
Rectify looks interesting..damnit theres another 4 seasons added.

ScoobaDawg
09-21-2017, 01:35 PM

Amazon - Add The Man in the High Castle and Hand of God... heard great things about both and on my watch list.
Stranger things is great... can't wait for season 2 in a month.

ScoobaDawg
09-21-2017, 01:37 PM

Hell on Wheels has been on my list for a long time.. Guess I'll start it on Sunday.

ScoobaDawg
09-21-2017, 01:38 PM

Breaking Bad... and make sure to watch Better Call Saul too...

huffy
10-03-2017, 09:02 AM
Narcos and Bloodline are two great ones that I've been watching lately.

I'm not sure if Justified is on Netflix or not still, but it's a MUST watch.

Also I really enjoyed Longmire. Old school sheriff in Wyoming. His county has a Native American reservation in his jurisdiction and that adds a lot of drama.

Prediction? Pain.
10-03-2017, 09:45 AM
Last night we finished Atypical. It was as good as, if not better than advertised. Probably one of Netflix's best original series. Thanks for the rec, y'all.

My wife recently finished up GLOW, too. I think I enjoyed the bits that I saw a little more as it progressed. So, yeah, it's worth a look.

Two other things I've seen on Netflix fairly recently:

The Host. It's a South Korean monster movie. Think Godzilla, but on a smaller small scale with more attention to the main characters. It hits all the right notes of a monster movie (humor, action, suspense, etc.). I enjoyed it.

The Barkley Marathons. This a great documentary about a bizarre and grueling adventure race in east Tennessee. Basically, every year for the past few decades, there's an invitation-only race in Tennessee's Frozen Head State Park, which is home to a dozen or so 3,000' mountains. The course is brutal and changes every year, and the racers come from all over the world. Even though I don't run at all or have any interest in ultra-marathons or the like, I really, really enjoyed the movie. The back story is interesting (the race's founder is quite a character) and the spectacle of the event is something else. (Only 15 people have ever finished the race.) I'm probably also partial to this movie because it's set near my stomping grounds (Chattanooga/east Tennessee) and reminds me (sans waterfalls) of the places I've spent hundreds of hours hiking in the past decade or so.

RAYn_Man
10-03-2017, 11:04 AM

Breaking Bad....followed immediately by Sons of Anarchy

iPat09
10-04-2017, 10:16 AM
I'm somewhat sad nobody has mentioned Mystery Science Theater 3000. They have a few classic episodes available to watch, but the new season that was brought back through Kickstarter is labeled as The Return. Some of the best comedy out there, IMO. If you're not familiar, the main part of the show revolves around a guy and his two robot friends riffing just terrible, terrible movies. Give it a chance, trust me.

Also, with the passing of Tom Petty, I can't recommend Running Down A Dream enough. It's a 4 hour documentary about his life and it is superb. One of the best I have ever seen.

Political Hack
10-06-2017, 02:47 PM
I've only seen a few episodes of Sons of Anarchy, so I'm no help there. But I'm firmly on board with those who think Breaking Bad was one of the best shows in the past decade or two.

Watch both, but Sons of Anarchy is better.

"Peaky Blinders" is legit good.

"Bloodline" is awesome.

Last season of Black Sails was my favorite. Worth watching through the slower set up season the next to last year.

Season 1 and 2 of Orange is the New Balck is good. After that it gets old.

Political Hack
10-06-2017, 02:48 PM
Also, I'll 2nd Restrepo. Best military documentary Ive ever seen. Gives you a real sense of what it's like to be there.

ScoobaDawg
10-09-2017, 02:09 AM
Just watched the first season of "Master of None" it was pretty funny. Really good..
If you liked the movie "The big sick" that came out recently... you will like it.

Just finished Season 2... series finale was very open ended and Ansari says he's not sure when a Season 3 will be made.
Really enjoyed it.. hope they don't end it there

ScoobaDawg
10-09-2017, 02:11 AM

"Bloodline" is awesome.

Last season of Black Sails was my favorite. Worth watching through the slower set up season the next to last year.

Season 1 and 2 of Orange is the New Balck is good. After that it gets old.

I really enjoyed it up till this last season. The death of one of the characters in the 2nd to last episode in Season 4 was very good.
Season 5 is just a little too crazy for me. But I'll still binge 6 whenever it comes out.

Lord McBuckethead
10-23-2017, 02:25 PM
If you guys are looking forward to Stranger Things vol 2 this week. Check out Mindhunter and Manhunt. I have picked up both shows this week. They are worth the time.

PassInterference
10-23-2017, 03:48 PM
Yeah Manhunter is pretty good.

tireddawg
10-23-2017, 04:01 PM
Mindhunter is very well written. Very clever. The dialogue between the characters is top notch. Binged it in a couple days. Couldn't get enough. Manhunt is Not in the same ballpark IMO. But def worth watching.

PassInterference
10-23-2017, 04:12 PM
Agh...meant mindhunter.

ScoobaDawg
10-23-2017, 04:14 PM
Mindhunter looks great.. only thru the first 2 episodes so far but really enjoyed it.

HereComesTheSpiral
10-23-2017, 06:16 PM
F is for Family
Bojack Horseman

BeardoMSU
10-23-2017, 08:16 PM
Mindhunter is very well written. Very clever. The dialogue between the characters is top notch. Binged it in a couple days. Couldn't get enough. Manhunt is Not in the same ballpark IMO. But def worth watching.

I'm gonna watch Mindhunter soon. Anything directed by David Fincher is worth seeing.

huffy
10-26-2017, 08:15 AM
another +1 for Mindhunter. Still working my way through it with the wife.

I binged Manhunt all the way through yesterday. 17'n loved it.

ScoobaDawg
02-23-2018, 07:32 PM
I'm only halfway in but Altered carbon is great. Enjoying the story but most of all the setting is what blade runner 2049 SHOULD HAVE BEEN. Amazing!!!

jumbo
03-09-2018, 03:21 PM
I'm only halfway in but Altered carbon is great. Enjoying the story but most of all the setting is what blade runner 2049 SHOULD HAVE BEEN. Amazing!!!

Finished this the other night. Thought it was decent but could have been better. The first half was great but to me it lost steam on the back end.

Political Hack
04-05-2018, 09:30 PM
Recently finished Ozark. That’s worth it. Strong 2nd for that suggestion.

Peaky Blinders is still probably my favorite. Can’t believe y’all arent giving it more love. Think Sopranos, in europe, after the world war.

Hatsfield and McCoys is pretty good for a quick 3-part (I think) series, but it was out on history channel a long time ago so a lot of you have probably already seen it.

PassInterference
04-06-2018, 07:14 AM
The Fall is Gillian Anderson?s best acting. Very good fictional hunt for a serial killer series.

ScoobaDawg
08-13-2018, 05:13 PM
Time to catch up on what I still need to watch...

Still on my list.

On my list. 2nd season hits Aug 31, so might wait till then and binge both.

Restrepo I just found streaming online and will watch soon. https://docur.co/documentary/restrepo
Rectify, I just can't seem to get into.. might give it another try.
Love looks entertaining and is still on my list, wife's already watched it.

Amazon - Add The Man in the High Castle

I watched 3 episodes and forgot about it since it's on Amazon prime.. now that I have the app on my nvidia shield, we started it last night and will keep working on it before the 3rd season hits.

Hell on Wheels has been on my list for a long time.. Guess I'll start it on Sunday.

Never started..moved to the bottom of my list.

Better Call Saul too...

Missed the 3rd season. Need to rewatch part of 2nd season if not all since it's been so long. Season 4 started last monday.

I've had a few more people tell me I would like SoA again recently.. guess it's going on the list.
Peaky Blinders seems more up my world though.. about ready to re-watch the Sopranoes though since it's been a long time since I binged it the 1st time and the wife is interested now.

Just finished the newest season of OITNB, evidently they are gonna do one more season. Will be interesting to see where it goes.
Just binged Season 3 of Last Chance U. That QB is a POS and might not get another chance. So sad about the recap of Scooba and Wright. Funny they win a NC the next year they leave though. JB has a damn mouth on him though, way worse than buddy to me.

ScoobaDawg
08-14-2018, 10:19 AM
Binge watched this tonight.. Hilarious

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbiiik_T3Bo

Dawg61
08-27-2018, 12:14 PM
Just finished Ozark. It's great. Season 2 comes to Netflix August 31st so if you get cranking you can watch all of season 1 and roll right into season 2. Also watched The Punisher recently. It's good as well.

BrunswickDawg
08-29-2018, 09:23 AM
Binge watched this tonight.. Hilarious

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbiiik_T3Bo

That show was Fn hilarious. I've actually watched it twice.

Tbonewannabe
08-30-2018, 10:21 AM
That show was Fn hilarious. I've actually watched it twice.

Started watching this last night and it is one of those weird hilarious shows. I am just on the third episode so I will probably finish it next week.

ScoobaDawg
08-30-2018, 12:28 PM
Working my way through Better Call Saul..just started Season 3, trying to get caught up on the current season soon.
Had some time to kill on a flight yesterday so started on Parks n Recs , so far it's ok but not hilarious.. but I've been told you have to get to season 2 before it picks up.

Whenever I finish Season 4 of Better Call Saul, likely going to dive in to watching breaking bad again. It's so good.

msstatelp1
08-30-2018, 01:33 PM
Working my way through Better Call Saul..just started Season 3, trying to get caught up on the current season soon.
Had some time to kill on a flight yesterday so started on Parks n Recs , so far it's ok but not hilarious.. but I've been told you have to get to season 2 before it picks up.

Whenever I finish Season 4 of Better Call Saul, likely going to dive in to watching breaking bad again. It's so good.

The Ranch is pretty good if you're looking for a comedy.

BrunswickDawg
08-30-2018, 03:12 PM

Parks & Rec really does take into season 2 to hit a groove.
That damn show is too autobiographical for me. It's like watching my day to day in a mirror. City Government work really is like that.

ScoobaDawg
09-02-2018, 09:38 PM
The Ranch is pretty good if you're looking for a comedy.

Yep...had to get by not much caring for Ashton Kutcher (every time he opens his mouth..I hear. DUDE where's my car??)
But really liked it. Will be interesting to see where they go from Rooster being fired.

ScoobaDawg
09-02-2018, 09:39 PM
Parks & Rec really does take into season 2 to hit a groove.
That damn show is too autobiographical for me. It's like watching my day to day in a mirror. City Government work really is like that.

Just finished Season 1, will work my way through season 2 this week. F*CK THAT PIT!!!

BrunswickDawg
09-11-2018, 12:50 PM
Blew through Season 2 of Ozark and Atypical over the past couple of weeks.

Both are just as good as the first season.

BrunswickDawg
09-11-2018, 12:51 PM
Just finished Season 1, will work my way through season 2 this week. F*CK THAT PIT!!!

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/AgedShoddyBooby-max-1mb.gif

Political Hack
09-11-2018, 05:33 PM
I really can't wait until y'all start watching peaky blinders. You won't be disappointed.

I haven't seen mindhunter yet. Or end of the 17ing world. Will have to add those after I'm done with Ozark season 2.

Tbonewannabe
09-12-2018, 01:27 PM
So my wife wanted to watch Supernatural. She loved Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel back in the day. This is kind of similar. The down side is there is 13 seasons. Holy S&*t that is a lot of episodes. My wife travels so I end up watching stuff she wouldn't care about. I am currently working on Breaking Bad. We had started watching it and stopped for some reason.

Although Iron Fist season 2 just came out and apparently Daredevil Season 3 is supposed to hit in October (rumor due to some Sigapore or some asian country marketing).

Tbonewannabe
09-12-2018, 01:28 PM
I really can't wait until y'all start watching peaky blinders. You won't be disappointed.

I haven't seen mindhunter yet. Or end of the 17ing world. Will have to add those after I'm done with Ozark season 2.

Both of those are outstanding. It is amazing that there is too much good TV now. When I was young, 3 channels and you watched reruns because nothing else was on. Until we got a satellite dish when I was around 12 or so.

tcdog70
09-18-2018, 11:40 AM
no mention of Godless? just won some emmys--I loved it.

Political Hack
09-24-2018, 05:22 PM
no mention of Godless? just won some emmys--I loved it.

Watched it. Really good.

Peaky Blinders is still my favorite by far, followed bun bloodline probably. Although the 2nd is debatable. Really like Ozark too.

ScoobaDawg
02-05-2019, 03:47 PM
What's new on everyones list?
I think the Ted Bundy tapes are next for me.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
02-06-2019, 03:01 PM
Anyone watch You? I just finished it. I thought it was pretty good. I also just finished Abducted in Plain Sight. Really strange story.

BeardoMSU
02-06-2019, 03:35 PM
I need to watch Mind Hunters....I love everything Fincher, I just haven't gotten around to it.

I can't bring myself to watch the last season of Game of Cards, sadly....even had they not killed off Francis, that show was trending bonkers by the end of the last season.

All you foodies out there need to do yourselves a favor and watch Mind of a Chef. Some great stuff there.

ScoobaDawg
02-06-2019, 04:35 PM
Anyone watch You? I just finished it. I thought it was pretty good. I also just finished Abducted in Plain Sight. Really strange story.

YES... I forgot already that was the last thing I finished... so interesting.

ScoobaDawg
02-06-2019, 04:36 PM
I need to watch Mind Hunters....I love everything Fincher, I just haven't gotten around to it.

I can't bring myself to watch the last season of Game of Cards, sadly....even had they not killed off Francis, that show was trending bonkers by the end of the last season.

All you foodies out there need to do yourselves a favor and watch Mind of a Chef. Some great stuff there.

Yea yea... it's on my list. So much food stuff I'm watching lately on Netflix and cable tv.

Tbonewannabe
02-07-2019, 01:12 PM
It is on Amazon Prime but I just finished Homecoming with Julia Roberts. Pretty good show but is pretty odd how the cinematography and sound editing. Lends itself to the story very well. It is about a facility dealing with soldiers coming back from deployment. It is worth watching.

BrunswickDawg
02-07-2019, 03:25 PM
It is on Amazon Prime but I just finished Homecoming with Julia Roberts. Pretty good show but is pretty odd how the cinematography and sound editing. Lends itself to the story very well. It is about a facility dealing with soldiers coming back from deployment. It is worth watching.

Yeah, that was really good. Grand Tour is also back on, and the first 3 episodes were really strong.

I hate to admit this, but I watched the Sabrina the Teenage Witch reboot. It was pretty good.
Also, don't waste your time on the Grisham "Innocent Man" series. Incredibly boring.

Prediction? Pain.
02-07-2019, 04:05 PM
I hate to admit this, but I watched the Sabrina the Teenage Witch reboot. It was pretty good.

What you do on BrunswickDawg Night is up to you, man.

https://youtu.be/w4MS2m8sdcQ?t=45

In the same vein, the thing our family's been most addicted to lately is The Great British Baking Show. My kids love it and, as a low brow cooking nerd with a massive sweet tooth, I'm right there with them.

I dug the Ballad of Buster Scruggs fairly well. Not up there with the Coen Brothers' best, but still solid.

I can't think of much else new that's hooked me recently.

BrunswickDawg
02-07-2019, 10:31 PM
Turk Night! I need to go back and watch Scrubs again. That show was so damn funny.

Tbonewannabe
02-08-2019, 11:59 AM
Yeah, that was really good. Grand Tour is also back on, and the first 3 episodes were really strong.

Also, don't waste your time on the Grisham "Innocent Man" series. Incredibly boring.

We watched it also and enjoyed it.

Tbonewannabe
02-08-2019, 12:05 PM
I know it is also Amazon Prime but they are going to start production on the Dark Tower series from Steven King. The movie last year was an abortion of the actual stories. Amazon is going in chronological order with book #4? (I think it is book 4) where it describes the Gunslinger when he was young. It will be 13 one hour episodes so it should be good. Steven King is going to be involved somehow either as a executive producer or just an advisor.

Also Amazon is doing the Wheel of Time book series from Robert Jordan. This is probably my favorite book series so I am hoping it comes out well. It is similar to a Lord of Rings/Game of Thrones mashup with an entity like Sauron but also has political issues between countries similar to GoT.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
02-08-2019, 04:22 PM
On Prime I liked Bosch, Tin Star, Patriot, and Long Strange Trip. The bodyguard on Netflix is pretty decent.

Michael Milken
02-09-2019, 09:55 AM
I know it is also Amazon Prime but they are going to start production on the Dark Tower series from Steven King. The movie last year was an abortion of the actual stories. Amazon is going in chronological order with book #4? (I think it is book 4) where it describes the Gunslinger when he was young. It will be 13 one hour episodes so it should be good. Steven King is going to be involved somehow either as a executive producer or just an advisor.

Also Amazon is doing the Wheel of Time book series from Robert Jordan. This is probably my favorite book series so I am hoping it comes out well. It is similar to a Lord of Rings/Game of Thrones mashup with an entity like Sauron but also has political issues between countries similar to GoT.

I'm looking forward to dark tower also. Is it like the movie? Where it is a continuation of the books?

Michael Milken
02-09-2019, 10:01 AM

I like the new grand tour format.

I'll have to try Sabrina.

Tbonewannabe
02-11-2019, 09:15 AM
I'm looking forward to dark tower also. Is it like the movie? Where it is a continuation of the books?

It is going to be a reboot. It will start when Roland is young and show how he first comes into contact with The Man in Black. I guess they wanted to get people more invested with who the Gunslinger is before throwing in other characters. I don't know if they will go by the books or change it up. The movie was just changed too much. It just didn't make enough sense when they mixed everything up like they did.

HereComesTheSpiral
02-12-2019, 07:44 AM
On Hulu but Letterkenny might be the funniest show out there.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
02-14-2019, 01:30 PM
Started Mindhunter the other night. I am loving it so far.

maroonmania
03-12-2019, 09:08 PM
Not sure if its been mentioned through the thread but The Last Kingdom has become my #1 favorite show on Netflix. I really like Vikings but I actually like Last Kingdom even more (if you like one you will probably like the other). Love the historical setting around the provinces of Early Britain during the reign of Alfred the Great and the dude that plays Uhtred is excellent in the part. Also, while it has some mature subject matter, for the most part I'm not normally embarrassed to have it on when kids come through the room. I am a little over halfway through the 3rd season now.

Tbonewannabe
03-13-2019, 07:01 AM
Started Mindhunter the other night. I am loving it so far.

We loved Mindhunter and can't wait for Season 2.

Westdawg
03-14-2019, 01:10 AM
Just started Umbrella Academy. It's ok. Not great but if you dig the comic stuff then it's worth watching once through.
I really want to find a good sci-fi thriller series.
I've seen several mention Mindhunter and saw that title last night. What's it about?

Tbonewannabe
03-14-2019, 07:21 AM
Just started Umbrella Academy. It's ok. Not great but if you dig the comic stuff then it's worth watching once through.
I really want to find a good sci-fi thriller series.
I've seen several mention Mindhunter and saw that title last night. What's it about?

Mindhunter is about the psychological behavior unit being started at the FBI. Two guys basically trying to get serial killers to talk to them. Similar to Silence of the Lambs when she is interviewing Lector.

Maridian Dawg
03-15-2019, 04:52 PM
I'm in the middle of Bloodline, its really good.
F is for Family is a hilarious show if you grew up in the 70s.
The Office is a classic, can't believe I haven't seen it mentioned on here.
Jimmy Carr, John mulaney, and Bo Burnham specials are a must watch.
Zodiac is a great movie that was just added to netflix.
American Crime Story is great, spin-off of American Horror Story.
Maniac is decent.
Fyre is an amazing documentary.

Political Hack
03-19-2019, 06:53 AM
Undefeated is a great football documentary. If you watch close, you may recognize one of the players in it.

Restrepo is the best military documentary I've ever seen.

Bloodline is awesome.

Peaky Blinders is the best Netflix original I've seen and probably may favorite series ever.

QB1 is good.

Prediction? Pain.
03-19-2019, 04:14 PM

I'll second that. Hell, it's one of the best documentaries I've ever seen regardless of the topic.

I watched Russian Doll recently. I assumed from the previews that it was going to be another Groundhog Day clone. But I never felt that while I was watching it. I really enjoyed it and easily got hooked into finishing the series in a matter of days. (Plus it gets a little bump from me for getting a classic Harry Nilsson song some much-deserved love.)

WSOPdawg
03-19-2019, 08:51 PM
Undefeated is a great football documentary. If you watch close, you may recognize one of the players in it.

Bloodline is awesome.

Peaky Blinders is the best Netflix original I've seen and probably may favorite series ever.

QB1 is good.

Agree - I thoroughly enjoyed Peaky Blinders. Great series.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
04-02-2019, 09:53 AM

I guess I need to give Peaky Blinders another shot...I couldn't get into it.

Tbonewannabe
04-02-2019, 11:05 AM
Tom Segura comedy special was hilarious.

BeardoMSU
04-02-2019, 06:47 PM
I guess I need to give Peaky Blinders another shot...I couldn't get into it.

I love the first 2 seasons...the last two are good, but they definitely seemed rushed in comparison. Tom Hardy's character is the star of the show (not surprising).

ScoobaDawg
09-10-2019, 09:00 PM
Bump... finished Stranger things 3.. Best one yet.
Orange is the new black...great ending to a great show

Currently watching - The Great Baking British show, which looks to be one of the shows that is now going to weekly episode drops instead of all at once. What can I say I love to cook / bake.

Next, actually starting tonight.. Mindhunter Season 2.

Whar's in your queue to watch?

BrunswickDawg
09-11-2019, 07:46 AM
Bump... finished Stranger things 3.. Best one yet.
Orange is the new black...great ending to a great show

Currently watching - The Great Baking British show, which looks to be one of the shows that is now going to weekly episode drops instead of all at once. What can I say I love to cook / bake.

Next, actually starting tonight.. Mindhunter Season 2.

Whar's in your queue to watch?

I'm middle of season 2 of Mindhunter now. Great show. I love when shows do very good prop/location research to add in detail, and they have done a great job with Atlanta circa 1979/80. It' small things like finding a hotel that looks enough like the interior of the Omni that you think it is (the Omni doesn't look at all today like it did then). They even have the correct license plates on the GA vehicles for the period.

Tbonewannabe
09-11-2019, 09:46 AM
I just finished Carnival Row on Amazon. It was pretty good. I will watch season 2 whenever it comes out.

TrapGame
09-13-2019, 11:34 AM
I just finished Carnival Row on Amazon. It was pretty good. I will watch season 2 whenever it comes out.

I'm thinking about it but haven't found the time. Good Omens was great!

My wife got me into The Vampire Diaries and then we went into the spinoff The Originals. The Originals is even better.

I've watched the first two episodes of the new Dark Crystal series. I was 10 or 11 when the original came out and it blew my mind. This new one is okay but I'm not really feeling it.

ScoobaDawg
09-16-2019, 10:42 PM
Finished mind hunter season 2. Great job. I wonder who around here remembers that children killing in Atlanta...

Can't wait to see what they do with season 3 and the btk killer.

BrunswickDawg
09-17-2019, 04:06 PM
Finished mind hunter season 2. Great job. I wonder who around here remembers that children killing in Atlanta...

Can't wait to see what they do with season 3 and the btk killer.

I was 7-8 and I remember it well because my parents had us watch the news every night. Even in the suburbs it had parents on edge. The police actually came to our class and did a lot "stranger danger" type programs and talked about how important it was to look out for your friends. It is branded in our heads enough that I still remember a couple of the names of the kids without being prompted by an article or show. A name like Lubie Geter sticks with you.

There is a really good podcast about it called Atlanta Monster that uses a lot of WSB TV news reports as the audio.

BrunswickDawg
09-17-2019, 08:38 PM
I was 7-8 and I remember it well because my parents had us watch the news every night. Even in the suburbs it had parents on edge. The police actually came to our class and did a lot "stranger danger" type programs and talked about how important it was to look out for your friends. It is branded in our heads enough that I still remember a couple of the names of the kids without being prompted by an article or show. A name like Lubie Geter sticks with you.

There is a really good podcast about it called Atlanta Monster that uses a lot of WSB TV news reports as the audio.

I hadn't actually finished season 2 yet because my wife went out of town for a week and we picked back up tonight. We watched Episode 6 where they go back to ATL. When the news anchor said "Do you know where your children are?" it sent chills down my spine. I had totally forgotten about that - channel 2 would close their evening news with it. It was shocking hearing it again.

KOdawg1
10-20-2019, 11:22 AM
Peaky Blinders is a really good show