PDA

View Full Version : Reeds cancels Rosebowl's book signing

JDog13
09-14-2017, 09:12 AM
Bear fans, on the Spirit, are having a boycott drive against stores that have Rosie signings. They called Reed's in Tupelo and threatened to not buy from there again if they had the signing. Reed's showed no backbone in caving to people calling, that didn't even know it existed before the spirit post.

So, if you're in the Tupelo area, let them know you won't be buying anything from them since they caved to the snow flakes. Boycott's are dumb, but it just amazes me a company lets a bunch of weirdo's dictate how they do business.

paco
09-14-2017, 09:26 AM
Time to vote with your pocketbook. Reed's should get no more Bulldog $$$.

Lord McBuckethead
09-14-2017, 09:26 AM
How about MSU fans not buying things from Reed's unless they have a signing? Just saying. If they want to cave, lets see who they need more. Reeds in Starkville, Columbus, and Tupelo probably needs MSU fans.

Dawgology
09-14-2017, 09:30 AM
Reed's in Columbus is closing soon. Announced in the local paper a few weeks ago. Don't know about the other stores.

Martianlander
09-14-2017, 09:34 AM
We occasionally buy during the year, but at Christmas my wife always bought Reed's t-shirts for all the kids and grandkids, so a fairly substantial one time purchase. Not this year. We will go somewhere else or order from some company like LL Bean. No more Reeds for me and I urge all MSU fans to boycott all their stores. I went on their web site to see if I could send them an e-mail but they don't have that available.

Martianlander
09-14-2017, 09:35 AM
How about MSU fans not buying things from Reed's unless they have a signing? Just saying. If they want to cave, lets see who they need more. Reeds in Starkville, Columbus, and Tupelo probably needs MSU fans.

Yes-I'm sure that Starkville store will do really well now!

BeastMan
09-14-2017, 09:36 AM
Jesus H Christ. You people are going to counter boycott to match the physcopaths on the Spirit? This is what I'm going to do. I'm going to call Reed's and tell them exactly who I am and that my family's business had to deal with a spirit boycott also a few years back. I'm going to let them know not to worry because it will amount to absolutely zero. There is so much more I could say but I'll refrain. I don't see that on State boards and it needs to stop in this thread. Reed's has done zero wrong and don't deserve any of this. The best thing you could do is buy more from Reeds and let them know who matters to their business.

I seen it dawg
09-14-2017, 03:05 PM
I disagree. As a business if you cater to all it shouldn't be a problem from the crazies as they die out fast. If you lean one way you have to be prepared to handle whatever comes, or doesn't, from the other side. I think it's shitty to call business and tell them I'm not coming back. The way to do it is just not go back. It's even shittier to be a ***** and cave to assholes calling and telling you what they are gonna do. ****ing weak trash.

Jack Lambert
09-14-2017, 03:08 PM
Bear fans, on the Spirit, are having a boycott drive against stores that have Rosie signings. They called Reed's in Tupelo and threatened to not buy from there again if they had the signing. Reed's showed no backbone in caving to people calling, that didn't even know it existed before the spirit post.

So, if you're in the Tupelo area, let them know you won't be buying anything from them since they caved to the snow flakes. Boycott's are dumb, but it just amazes me a company lets a bunch of weirdo's dictate how they do business.

as of now I will not do business with any business that I know is own by ole miss people or has ole miss crap hanging on the wall. Also if the occasion ever arise and I am in Tupelo I will not do business with Reeds.

I suspect there are a lot more book readers who went to state then Ole Miss. Reeds ****ed up! It goes both ways.

Bothrops
09-14-2017, 03:16 PM
That should be illegal to do in this case.

MadDawg
09-14-2017, 03:20 PM

Tortious Interference

RocketDawg
09-14-2017, 03:23 PM

What should be illegal? Maybe I don't have my forum viewing options set properly, but I can't tell who you're replying to.

Rustydawg
09-14-2017, 03:26 PM
I don't have an issue doing business with someone who has Ole Miss crap on the wall. Most of their fans are like any of us. Trying to support their families and cheering for the home team. I don't categorically avoid doing business with OM fans.

I absolutely, positively will not do business with Cannon Motors and will chastise any State fan who does. If you buy/lease/repair cars from Cannon you may as well give money to OM football players. Also, any of the State fans/farmers asked to participate in any law suits run by Charlie Merkel should be whipped. I'm sure there are some other specific examples where it totally makes sense to not do business with OM fans.

smootness
09-14-2017, 03:29 PM
Refusing to do business with any business whose owner is an OM fan seems like a poor life choice.

Jack Lambert
09-14-2017, 03:32 PM
Refusing to do business with any business whose owner is an OM fan seems like a poor life choice.

That's a negative.

Mimi's Babies
09-14-2017, 03:34 PM
I don't have an issue doing business with someone who has Ole Miss crap on the wall. Most of their fans are like any of us. Trying to support their families and cheering for the home team. I don't categorically avoid doing business with OM fans.

I absolutely, positively will not do business with Cannon Motors and will chastise any State fan who does. If you buy/lease/repair cars from Cannon you may as well give money to OM football players. Also, any of the State fans/farmers asked to participate in any law suits run by Charlie Merkel should be whipped. I'm sure there are some other specific examples where it totally makes sense to not do business with OM fans.

If you only knew the rest of those attorneys in the muck.... Rebel Rags or any of his other so called businesses....

MagicDawg
09-14-2017, 03:39 PM
Boycotting may or may not be effective, but I do think calling them out on a transparent cave-in is warranted. This was my reply to their Facebook post:

Dear Reed's,

What is best for all the fine universities in our state is certainly not to pretend that the truth isn't what it is. Steve Robertson has done the state of Mississippi a service by uncovering deep and wanton corruption in an institution partially funded by your own tax dollars. He did the research the leading state media refused to do, stood firm in the face of lies and threats, and produced a book that achieved a number one ranking. He is a successful Mississippi author and deserves to be recognized for his work.

Your decision to cancel a signing event isn't really about celebrating the best in our universities. It is about enabling the pettiness of people who want to pretend the lies they swallowed for so long haven't been laid bare. You have caved to a reality-rejecting population who need a maroon devil to blame for red and blue sins.

Your justification for cancelling is weak, unconvincing, and transparent. For a retailer with generations of customers in the state, perhaps you can best understand people's reaction to your disappointing spinelessness in this form: "Nobody is buying what you're selling."

Good luck.

Jack Lambert
09-14-2017, 03:41 PM
"Nobody is buying what you're selling."

I see what you did there.

BossDawg
09-14-2017, 03:47 PM
Oh my God. Really? Are UM fans that vain and thin skinned? Wait, don't answer that, stupid question. Of course they are. It's just fascinating how pretentious they are and how they insist on dragging everybody else down with them if things aren't going their way.

Good Lord what a bunch of babies.

BeastMan
09-14-2017, 03:52 PM
I disagree. As a business if you cater to all it shouldn't be a problem from the crazies as they die out fast. If you lean one way you have to be prepared to handle whatever comes, or doesn't, from the other side. I think it's shitty to call business and tell them I'm not coming back. The way to do it is just not go back. It's even shittier to be a ***** and cave to assholes calling and telling you what they are gonna do. ****ing weak trash.

They are selling his book. Steve gets his money. End of story. And now the spirit has opened themselves up to potential litigation because Reed's was bullied in to cancelling. Starting a boycott thread was stupid. Reopening a closed boycott thread was well, not my decision. Further, messing with Reed's does not solve the problem. Is started another thread with a more tactical strategy to combat spirit boycott.

JDog13
09-14-2017, 04:05 PM
They are selling his book. Steve gets his money. End of story. And now the spirit has opened themselves up to potential litigation because Reed's was bullied in to cancelling. Starting a boycott thread was stupid. Reopening a closed boycott thread was well, not my decision. Further, messing with Reed's does not solve the problem. Is started another thread with a more tactical strategy to combat spirit boycott.

I don't feel starting the thread was stupid. I wanted to show that ole miss fans were acting like idiots as usual, and I wanted some pushback to let other vendors know it goes both ways. You cave to one school, you're gonna piss the other off. I feel like supporting Steve against their childish antics is warranted.

Edit: Not directed at you, just explaining to the board my reasoning.

Jack Lambert
09-14-2017, 04:12 PM

Here is another way of looking at it. If the wanted a signed book now they are going somewhere else to buy that book.

Dawg61
09-14-2017, 04:17 PM
Reed's is an awesome store with great shirts and always has some smoke pieces working there (at least when I went in). Don't boycott Reed's boycott the Clarion Ledger instead. Oh and Oxford. Never ever spend a dime in Oxford. If you go to a game in Oxford never ever spend a dime in Oxford. Pack a lunch and buy gas outside the town. Have a great day Bulldogs. Eat shit shitbirds.

LC Dawg
09-14-2017, 04:19 PM
If I owned Reed's and that bunch of crazies called and said they were boycotting if we didn't cancel the book signing I would have replied "We don't negotiate with terrorists".

AFDawg
09-14-2017, 04:20 PM
as of now I will not do business with any business that I know is own by ole miss people or has ole miss crap hanging on the wall.

Reed's is owned by Vanderbilt graduates in a 50/50 State/Ole Miss town. They sell State and Ole Miss gear.

Plus, they do a ton of good in the community. You want to show them what State fans are like? Instead of acting like Spirit posters, go buy their State stuff and show them who is more valuable. Overcome evil with good.

Lord McBuckethead
09-14-2017, 04:23 PM
Reed's is an awesome store with great shirts and always has some smoke pieces working there (at least when I went in). Don't boycott Reed's boycott the Clarion Ledger instead. Oh and Oxford. Never ever spend a dime in Oxford. If you go to a game in Oxford never ever spend a dime in Oxford. Pack a lunch and buy gas outside the town. Have a great day Bulldogs. Eat shit shitbirds.

I am glad you pointed this out. CL is what we should be against. Reeds is a business trying to make the right decision for all their customers. Steve's book is a polarizing and the decision to host a signing wasn't the best way to keep your store neutral. When they caved, they have now angered our fanbase. The lesson to learn, if you cannot back up the decision to host the signing, don't bring your business into that situation to begin with.

I will not boycott Reeds, even though I believe actions have consequences and it is justified. Reeds is doing the best thing they could given the crazy UM fans pressure.

Um only successfully brought us into their hatred and spitefulness. Although my initial snowflake self thought a boycott was the obvious choice. It only hurts that business who is trying to straddle two fanbases. Trust me, I know what that is like and I thank Beastman for reminding me.

Reason2succeed
09-14-2017, 04:23 PM
This thing has become TOXIC!!! Hahahahaha!

Lord McBuckethead
09-14-2017, 04:24 PM
Reed's is owned by Vanderbilt graduates in a 50/50 State/Ole Miss town. They sell State and Ole Miss gear.

Plus, they do a ton of good in the community. You want to show them what State fans are like? Instead of acting like Spirit posters, go buy their State stuff and show them who is more valuable. Overcome evil with good.

Agreed.

Lord McBuckethead
09-14-2017, 04:31 PM
Yes-I'm sure that Starkville store will do really well now!

Starkville store is owned by a different guy than Tupelo. Just FYI. May want to keep them out of it.

RocketDawg
09-14-2017, 04:35 PM
What is Reed's anyway? Is it a bookstore that also sells tee shirts and the like, or a larger store that sells books in addition to a lot of other things?

Coursesuper
09-14-2017, 04:41 PM
If this is how they are behaving now how bad is it going to get after the sanctions come down? Some of those whack jobs are going to lose it for sure.

Mimi's Babies
09-14-2017, 04:44 PM
I am glad you pointed this out. CL is what we should be against. Reeds is a business trying to make the right decision for all their customers. Steve's book is a polarizing and the decision to host a signing wasn't the best way to keep your store neutral. When they caved, they have now angered our fanbase. The lesson to learn, if you cannot back up the decision to host the signing, don't bring your business into that situation to begin with.

I will not boycott Reeds, even though I believe actions have consequences and it is justified. Reeds is doing the best thing they could given the crazy UM fans pressure.

Um only successfully brought us into their hatred and spitefulness. Although my initial snowflake self thought a boycott was the obvious choice. It only hurts that business who is trying to straddle two fanbases. Trust me, I know what that is like and I thank Beastman for reminding me.

Wonder if they received death threats like the COI Committee did? Like Steve did?

BeastMan
09-14-2017, 04:45 PM

This guy gets it

shannondawg
09-14-2017, 06:31 PM
Mistake they made was having it in the first place. They should have known it was going to piss off half their customers for holding it or canceling it.

Saltydog
09-14-2017, 06:47 PM
stores in Columbus and Starkville. It's extremely over priced merchandise. Maybe if Beast calls them and lets them know he's going to continue doing biz w/them he'll get a 25% discount, at which point they'll still be the most over priced store in town.

msbulldog
09-14-2017, 06:51 PM
Shit people are you serious, I only read the first 10 post and I'm like WTF?
Please everybody take a step back, take a deep breath.

Think about what you are doing?

Pollodawg
09-14-2017, 07:02 PM
That entire fanbase is one enormous cult.

Martianlander
09-14-2017, 07:15 PM
Starkville store is owned by a different guy than Tupelo. Just FYI. May want to keep them out of it.

The Reed's do have ownership in the Starkville store. The Columbus guy is their partner there. I would definitely boycott it. Sorry but that's my feelings and I know Jack Reed fairly well. Nice Vandy guy but this has been totally mis-handled.

msbulldog
09-14-2017, 07:17 PM
Folks are we going to get on their level? Please show that we are better than Old Mississippi's tactics.
Let Reed's know we are glad their carrying the book. C'mon Dawgs, we don't lower ourselves to their level!

Mutt the Hoople
09-14-2017, 07:24 PM

So, if you're in the Tupelo area, let them know you won't be buying anything from them since they caved to the snow flakes. Boycott's are dumb, but it just amazes me a company lets a bunch of weirdo's dictate how they do business. Gutless

RocketDawg
09-14-2017, 07:30 PM
I'm guessing that Reed's had no idea what the book was about when they scheduled the signing, and certainly didn't realize it was so divisive. The title of the book doesn't really give much of a hint of the contents, unless you're a message board follower. I suspect that they were just trying to help out a first-time Mississippi author, and only realized what they'd done in scheduling the signing when the Bear fans called. Not so sure they "caved under pressure" so much as they decided they'd made a mistake.

jbjones
09-14-2017, 07:43 PM
I'm guessing that Reed's had no idea what the book was about when they scheduled the signing, and certainly didn't realize it was so divisive. The title of the book doesn't really give much of a hint of the contents, unless you're a message board follower. I suspect that they were just trying to help out a first-time Mississippi author, and only realized what they'd done in scheduling the signing when the Bear fans called. Not so sure they "caved under pressure" so much as they decided they'd made a mistake.

The front of the book has "The truth behind the blind-faith culture that led to the explosive NCAA Investigation of Northern Miss Football" (Italics are mine; I'm not using their moniker). Maybe they didn't even look at the cover...maybe they are CL readers and had no idea that northern miss was being investigated, but either way, it's hard to believe that they really didn't know what it was about.

They have the book in stock, for goodness sakes.

RocketDawg
09-14-2017, 08:17 PM
The front of the book has "The truth behind the blind-faith culture that led to the explosive NCAA Investigation of Northern Miss Football" (Italics are mine; I'm not using their moniker). Maybe they didn't even look at the cover...maybe they are CL readers and had no idea that northern miss was being investigated, but either way, it's hard to believe that they really didn't know what it was about.

They have the book in stock, for goodness sakes.

But did they have it in stock when they scheduled the signing?

jbjones
09-14-2017, 08:19 PM
But did they have it in stock when they scheduled the signing?

Valid question. I see your point.

Edit: Been thinking about this, and I'm pretty sure if this was the case Reed's just knee-jerked with the response from a handful of nutjobs. Why didn't they just sit on it, call Steve and say, "hey this is a problem for us because <reasons>, and that's it". That way Steve could tweet or whatever he does for putting out a message, and tell his followers that he was moving that signing to somewhere else or just not having it? I mean, none of this shit is rocket surgery. But I'm speculating....

Mutt the Hoople
09-14-2017, 08:28 PM
I don't feel starting the thread was stupid. I wanted to show that ole miss fans were acting like idiots as usual, and I wanted some pushback to let other vendors know it goes both ways. You cave to one school, you're gonna piss the other off. I feel like supporting Steve against their childish antics is warranted.

THeir despicable Nazi-like behavior has made cowards of businessmen and politicians in Mississippi for nearly 175 years.

If any group deserves the Death Penalty, the University of ole Miss does.

IMissJack
09-15-2017, 12:40 AM
Looks like students are starting to boycott OM. Enrollment is down...**

Daddy Rabbit Dawg
09-15-2017, 07:00 AM

I don't buy shit from them anyway...this just gives me another reason.

smootness
09-15-2017, 07:40 AM

You wanted to show them that we can be stupid, too?

JDog13
09-15-2017, 07:54 AM
You wanted to show them that we can be stupid, too?

They already see that every time you post.

smootness
09-15-2017, 08:06 AM

That's literally what you said.

JDog13
09-15-2017, 08:17 AM
That's literally what you said.

I can read it to you, but I know you still won't understand.

Behrdawg
09-15-2017, 08:22 AM

If this is the case, then how in the hell are they still open and operating? If they didn't know what the book was about and they scheduled a signing event, then they are just plain stupid. Who would even stock a book not knowing what it was about? It could've been a book on bukaki for all they know. I don't buy this theory at all. They knew what the book was about. C'mon man, don't kid yourself.

Leave it to the PPB (pink panty boys) of Ole Miss to boycott an overpriced clothing store. I'm pretty sure that their daddies credit card bills would appreciate the boycott. I honestly don't care about this idiocy. I don't shop at Reeds. Its an overpriced boutique store. Amazon works just fine with me.

Jack Lambert
09-15-2017, 08:29 AM

I don't read or buy the CL.

RTO Dawg
09-15-2017, 08:35 AM
I chose to call Reeds and voice my opinion. I don't care if you approve or not..

BiscuitEater
09-15-2017, 01:20 PM
ONLY thing Bulldogs should buy at Reed's .. FLIM FLAM

It_Could_Happen
09-15-2017, 02:26 PM
Don't know who posted it but I saw earlier in the thread someone said the owner of Reed's is pro-OM. Not the case. He's actually a pretty big bulldog supporter. Holds season tickets for football, baseball, and both men's and women's basketball. Really good guy and a good family friend. Im not arguing either side of the issue, just wanted to put the facts out there.

Commercecomet24
09-15-2017, 03:06 PM
Just saw where Steve's tupelo signing will be at Barnes and Nobles on October 15

Goldendawg
09-15-2017, 07:09 PM
Guy that does the Reed's commercials used to sit by us in Section 4 years ago before we got moved a couple of times because we wouldn't up our Superdawg contribution when we "got good" under Jackie. Seating rules were awful during those years. You could have given $1000 yr for 20 years but a new Silverdawg could bump you his first year. Anyway the Reed(?) guy was super nice, there for every game, and True Maroon. (Still think they should have had the signing event though).

AFDawg
09-15-2017, 09:34 PM
Don't know who posted it but I saw earlier in the thread someone said the owner of Reed's is pro-OM. Not the case. He's actually a pretty big bulldog supporter. Holds season tickets for football, baseball, and both men's and women's basketball. Really good guy and a good family friend. Im not arguing either side of the issue, just wanted to put the facts out there.

Most of the Reeds are Vandy grads. But they have lots of State connections too, especially by marriage (not least to the Mizes). Great folks all around.

gravedigger
09-15-2017, 09:46 PM
Most of the Reeds are Vandy grads.

Lived among them. I can honestly say I'd live in oxford before I'd live among vandy grads again.

They are uppidity and not nearly as smart as the world gives them credit for.

somebodyshotmypaw
09-15-2017, 10:01 PM
The head of the deal is Jack Reed, Jr. He is an unethical slimeball. Can't speak about others in the family.