PDA

View Full Version : Can Mullen Get it Done Saturday Night?

ShotgunDawg
09-13-2017, 06:17 PM
Great points by Jon Weiner today.

Home field advantage

Head coaching advantage

QB advantage

Outstanding defense

What else does Mullen need to beat LSU?

Comes down to the OL.

With all these advantages, if we don't win now, when will we ever?

BrunswickDawg
09-13-2017, 06:20 PM
https://m.popkey.co/c41ec7/dWEyA.gif

mstatefan91
09-13-2017, 06:33 PM
https://usatftw.files.wordpress.com/2016/11/screen-shot-2016-11-27-at-1-16-40-pm-copy.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1

ShotgunDawg
09-13-2017, 06:37 PM
We need a Dillon Day 2.0 on the OL in this game to bring some swag

MetEdDawg
09-13-2017, 06:38 PM
I feel like i did in 2014. Cautiously optimistic, but I feel like we are good. And I'm not convinced we need things to fall our way or catch a few breaks in order to win. I think we are the better team.

msbulldog
09-13-2017, 06:41 PM
We need a Dillon Day 2.0 on the OL in this game to bring some swag

A Dillon Day 2.0 might kill somebody.

TaleofTwoDogs
09-13-2017, 06:47 PM
Comes down to the OL.

Nothing else to say. It all starts with the big uglies. If they don't bring there "A" game and Mullen (Hev) fail to shore up the right side we are toast.

Mobile Bay
09-13-2017, 06:50 PM

I have no problem with this.

Kyper
09-13-2017, 06:55 PM
Both defenses are good
Both offenses have their strengths but also some weaknesses
Neither team has a realiable FG kicker

Comes down to who makes the least mistakes ie- turnovers most likely. A defensive TD or set up for an easy score likely decides the game

Maroon Wizardry
09-13-2017, 07:04 PM
Yes... and here is a link as to why
https://imgur.com/hVLUOYa

gravedigger
09-13-2017, 07:10 PM

Home field advantage

Head coaching advantage

QB advantage

Outstanding defense

Comes down to the OL.

Yes.... 55%
No...... 45%

Pressure on etling.

RocketDawg
09-13-2017, 07:24 PM
Also depends on how long it takes to get over the jitters. Fitz seemed to be a bit uptight in the La Tech game at first; presumably he will be even moreso in this game.

InTheIttaBenaHotSun
09-13-2017, 07:36 PM

I laugh at this cause it's true.

Lord McBuckethead
09-13-2017, 07:38 PM
Can we not just sneak him on the field at some point? Give him a haircut and some sleaves to cover his tattoos.

Saltydog
09-13-2017, 07:39 PM
a difference. Plus, they're going to sell out to stop the run and make Fitz beat us passing. Between his accuracy issues and the inability of our WR's to stretch the field vertically it will make this game difficult. IMO our only hope is that our defense plays super. I'm not worried about stopping the run as much as I am giving up the play action deep balls. Our high risk/rewards DB's must be very disciplined in order for us to win this game.

Skydawg1
09-13-2017, 07:44 PM
I'm not worried about stopping the run as much as I am giving up the play action deep balls. Our high risk/rewards DB's must be very disciplined in order for us to win this game.This is my concern as well. LSU always beats us by getting those one or two deep balls. We'll keep Guice in check, so not worried about their running game. We have to get off the field on 3rd down.

Gutter Cobreh
09-13-2017, 07:54 PM
Dan's tendency to make head scratching calls in games like this makes me nervous....

If I'm not mistaken (getting old so the memory isn't what it once was), Dan botched the ending of the LSU game the last time we played them at home and ultimately screwed up a FG attempt from a shorter distance.

Dallas_Dawg
09-13-2017, 08:01 PM
Deion Calhoun graded at like 87% on PFF and was named on their week 2 all American team.
Maybe he will be that guy to anchor the line

Tripp McNeely
09-13-2017, 08:01 PM
https://usatftw.files.wordpress.com/2016/11/screen-shot-2016-11-27-at-1-16-40-pm-copy.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1

UT...CHATTANOOGA!

Liverpooldawg
09-13-2017, 08:10 PM

Home field advantage

Head coaching advantage

QB advantage

Outstanding defense

Comes down to the OL.

Don't count your chickens on the defense just yet. We haven the played anybody at all.

ShotgunDawg
09-13-2017, 08:14 PM
Don't count your chickens on the defense just yet. We haven the played anybody at all.

Oh, I forgot. There's always a Mittsttippi Tate fan among us.

You know..... it's ok to get excited and its also OK to watch games and talent and make projections without hard evidence.

Liverpooldawg
09-13-2017, 08:36 PM
Oh, I forgot. There's always a Mittsttippi Tate fan among us.

You know..... it's ok to get excited and its also OK to watch games and talent and make projections without hard evidence.

We have played a glorified high school team and one that struggled with such a team. You can't judge anything from that really. We did exactly what we should have done to them if we were a SEC team. It's a different animal all together this week. I'll make my judgements during that game. Don't be such an old MSU guy. :)

LC Dawg
09-13-2017, 08:40 PM
We beat them in 2014 and lost the last two years by a combined 5 points. We can beat them.
Based on recruiting rankings they have more talent than us but our defense is the real deal. I keep seeing that they will shut down the run but with our backs and Fitzgerald I think this is easier said than done. Our RT is struggling some but the rest of the line looked pretty good to me against La Tech.
I think we get it done.

BrunswickDawg
09-13-2017, 08:59 PM
Deion Calhoun graded at like 87% on PFF and was named on their week 2 all American team.
Maybe he will be that guy to anchor the line

Jenkins did too.

Ezsoil
09-13-2017, 09:34 PM

Whether or not they have played anyone....the effort is there ...they are nasty, and hard hitting...and the swagger is there ...he has put people in the right position and is utilizing them properly....(Green, Gray, Simmons) .... Grantham has made the difference... and they believe...that's 90% of the battle

HoopsDawg
09-13-2017, 09:47 PM
I wish we had a Wilson or a Ross on the outside. Our WRs have to be able to beat man coverage.

HSVDawg
09-13-2017, 09:51 PM
We beat them in 2014 and lost the last two years by a combined 5 points. We can beat them.
Based on recruiting rankings they have more talent than us but our defense is the real deal. I keep seeing that they will shut down the run but with our backs and Fitzgerald I think this is easier said than done. Our RT is struggling some but the rest of the line looked pretty good to me against La Tech.
I think we get it done.

This. The days of LSU being an automatic 4 TD loss are over. And have been over ever since Mullen got here. We were an option pitch away from beating them in Mullen's first year with a team that didn't even make a bowl game.

smootness
09-13-2017, 09:56 PM

3 years ago?

Commercecomet24
09-13-2017, 10:00 PM
This. The days of LSU being an automatic 4 TD loss are over. And have been over ever since Mullen got here. We were an option pitch away from beating them in Mullen's first year with a team that didn't even make a bowl game.

Yep and take into account they don't exactly have Bill Belichik on the sidelines and we are right there.

Commercecomet24
09-13-2017, 10:00 PM
3 years ago?

+1

ShotgunDawg
09-13-2017, 10:22 PM
3 years ago?

Ugh. True.

3rdGen
09-13-2017, 10:31 PM
We did exactly what we should have done to them if we were a SEC team. It's a different animal all together! Don't be such an old MSU guy. :)

FIFY

THAT IS HOW IT GOES THESE DAYS! GET EXCITED! HAILSTATE!
That hype video was better this week.
Preciate the effort to the production crew!

Saturday is coming tigers, but the DAWGS ARE ALL BITE!

Skydawg1
09-13-2017, 11:20 PM
Yep and take into account they don't exactly have Bill Belichik on the sidelines and we are right there.Even their own fans know O is a crapshoot head coach. They're all up the asses of those two coordinators. All I see is "Canada and Aranda", not "Coach O is the shit". They're glad to have a cajun calling the shots but they know Coach O is just for show.

Commercecomet24
09-13-2017, 11:22 PM
Even their own fans know O is a crapshoot head coach. They're all up the asses of those two coordinators. All I see is "Canada and Aranda", not "Coach O is the shit". They're glad to have a cajun calling the shots but they know Coach O is just for show.

This guy gets it!

MarketingBully
09-14-2017, 02:17 AM
We have played a glorified high school team and one that struggled with such a team. You can't judge anything from that really. We did exactly what we should have done to them if we were a SEC team. It's a different animal all together this week. I'll make my judgements during that game. Don't be such an old MSU guy. :)

Um, last I looked we have four star players and the best lineman in the SEC in our front seven. We have a first class JLD D-coordinator in Grantham. If you saw Louisville's defense play, you will understand why our defense was shit last year. Sirmon was the worst defensive coordinator I have seen since Ron Cooper from 2003. I think Clemson will hang 60 on Louisville on Saturday. Sirmon may keep Louisville from making the playoff. All that to say we have the talent on our D and now we have the scheme and D-coordinator to back it up.

Dawgology
09-14-2017, 07:50 AM
Um, last I looked we have four star players and the best lineman in the SEC in our front seven. We have a first class JLD D-coordinator in Grantham. If you saw Louisville's defense play, you will understand why our defense was shit last year. Sirmon was the worst defensive coordinator I have seen since Ron Cooper from 2003. I think Clemson will hang 60 on Louisville on Saturday. Sirmon may keep Louisville from making the playoff. All that to say we have the talent on our D and now we have the scheme and D-coordinator to back it up.

I feel that Sirmon will probably not make it through the entire season at Louisville and, if he does, he will probably be sent packing at the end of the season.

TrapGame
09-14-2017, 08:34 AM

When you have the defensive guys on SECN praising our defense, it's legit.