PDA

View Full Version : Grantham; didn't realize this....

Lumpy Chucklelips
09-11-2017, 07:44 PM
played LSU in the bowl game last year. Although LSU has a new oc and look, he is familiar with their personnel. Helps? Doesn't matter?

I say it can't hurt.

bostondawg
09-11-2017, 07:59 PM
Meh, he gave up 394 yards of offense and 29 points to LSU last year. And of course Louisville has much less talent than us. I say it can't hurt, he didn't pitch a terrible performance. (on the other side, Lamar Jackson's offense could only score 9 points)

MetEdDawg
09-11-2017, 08:13 PM
Here's what I say helps. He has the personnel to match up with them now. Louisville doesn't have what we have on defense. We've got a ton of highly rated talent that very clearly was misused in the past.

Grantham referenced being able to set edges and play correct personnel in his interview tonight. I mean that has to be a shot and an observation at how we played defense last year. He talked about not being able to put true LBs in nickel positions and that's obviously something we did a ton of last year. We would play spread teams and run a 4-3 defense out there and constantly have LBs on little slot guys. He specifically mentioned how we play Green too.

We will be able to matchup with every team we play because we have the personnel and we have the DC that knows how to utilize that personnel in the most effective way possible. We are very multiple on defense and we have already seen that in these first two games. LSU presents a difference matchup than our first two games, but for the first time in a while, I think it's one we can handle because I trust the hell out of Grantham.

BrunswickDawg
09-11-2017, 08:21 PM
Here's what I say helps. He has the personnel to match up with them now. Louisville doesn't have what we have on defense. We've got a ton of highly rated talent that very clearly was misused in the past.

Grantham referenced being able to set edges and play correct personnel in his interview tonight. I mean that has to be a shot and an observation at how we played defense last year. He talked about not being able to put true LBs in nickel positions and that's obviously something we did a ton of last year. We would play spread teams and run a 4-3 defense out there and constantly have LBs on little slot guys. He specifically mentioned how we play Green too.

We will be able to matchup with every team we play because we have the personnel and we have the DC that knows how to utilize that personnel in the most effective way possible. We are very multiple on defense and we have already seen that in these first two games. LSU presents a difference matchup than our first two games, but for the first time in a while, I think it's one we can handle because I trust the hell out of Grantham.

^^^^ -THIS

Todd4State
09-11-2017, 11:35 PM

Great post. And even worse we would ask the true LB to play in coverage against a slot WR a lot of times and that usually ended up being a mismatch that wasn't in our favor.

This will be our third very different offense that we have faced- first we had an option offense and then a spread offense and now we get a run first pro-style offense.

I'm glad Sirmon is gone.

Commercecomet24
09-11-2017, 11:47 PM
Great post. And even worse we would ask the true LB to play in coverage against a slot WR a lot of times and that usually ended up being a mismatch that wasn't in our favor.

This will be our third very different offense that we have faced- first we had an option offense and then a spread offense and now we get a run first pro-style offense.

I'm glad Sirmon is gone.

Right on! Funny but I'm not scared to death about how our defense is gonna perform from game to game this year. I'm sure there'll be moments but Grantham will fix those moments. Just like Saturday night la tech started getting yards in the middle running the ball. So Grantham started slanting and stunting into those gaps. Guy knows what he's doing and how to call a game.

Todd4State
09-12-2017, 12:04 AM
Right on! Funny but I'm not scared to death about how our defense is gonna perform from game to game this year. I'm sure there'll be moments but Grantham will fix those moments. Just like Saturday night la tech started getting yards in the middle running the ball. So Grantham started slanting and stunting into those gaps. Guy knows what he's doing and how to call a game.

I'm expecting a fairly low scoring game. My biggest concern is our smaller WR's against their DB's and maybe a slow start by Nick but I'm hopeful that Dan can scheme around it. I do like how Grantham appears to be a guy that attacks the weaknesses of the offense with personnel and scheme. Last year was absolutely frustrating to watch us playing Samford when they had a five WR set with four receivers on the strong side of the formation and we only had three guys covering that side. And when that happened, of course they just ran screens and got chunks of yards every single time. Hopefully those days are over.

It's absolutely mind boggling that a guy that played in the NFL like Sirmon would have no idea how to use a bunch of guys with the talent we have on that side of the ball.

Coach007
09-12-2017, 12:20 AM
The key to this win is the TEs.