PDA

View Full Version : Stewart Reese

preachermatt83
09-10-2017, 11:39 PM
Rewatching the game... his problem is obvious, he's slow but he makes up for it by loafing*. Pitiful. He was getting embarrassed over and over again. Time to get eiland or somebody some snaps. Reese ain't gonna cut it right now. Maybe later in his career but he ain't ready right now.

maroonwhitedawg3ddd
09-11-2017, 12:00 AM
Nope he'll keep right on loafing and get praised by Hevesy sorry ass....

Leroy Jenkins
09-11-2017, 12:27 AM
Physically he may be good enough, but he doesn't have the right mentality right now... soft as Grandma's titties. There just doesn't seem to be enough effort or urgency in his body.

Todd4State
09-11-2017, 12:57 AM
I think the ultimate problem is he is a guard being forced to play tackle. My guess is a lot of the loafing/softness....probably actually is confusion which is probably because of being out of position and inexperienced.

It all goes back to Hevesy's lack of recruiting. We should never have to start a redshirt freshman unless they are a legit 5 star guy. Dolla Bill may actually be able to pull that off next year but we'll see- it's way too soon to know. Even worse- we're starting a redshirt freshman who is supposed to be a guard.

People can say what they want to about the o-line performing or not sucking as much as some people say- but the reality of the situation is no matter what the stats say we're never going to optimize that position group until we recruit better. Which means bringing in five guys just about every year. And it's going to become even more important starting in 2019 when the NCAA stops allowing people to "count back" meaning if Hevesy signs a bunch of guys that don't qualify or no one at all with the idea that we can get someone down the road- we're basically wasting spots in our class and won't be able to make them up starting next year.

So, all of that is to say I feel kind of bad for Reese because it's not totally his fault that he has been put in a crappy situation. Hevesy has had multiple chances to fix that spot in the offseason and failed pretty much every time- first with D'Marcus Hayes who was a JUCO from Madison and ended up at Georgia and then most recently with Brandon Hodges as a grad transfer to Pittsburgh.

It is what it is at this point- all we can really do is try to use a TE to help Reese like we did at La Tech and maybe rotate Eiland in to try to take some pressure off of Reese although that may be just putting lipstick on a pig.

Leroy Jenkins
09-11-2017, 01:14 AM
I think the ultimate problem is he is a guard being forced to play tackle. My guess is a lot of the loafing/softness....probably actually is confusion which is probably because of being out of position and inexperienced.

It all goes back to Hevesy's lack of recruiting. We should never have to start a redshirt freshman unless they are a legit 5 star guy. Dolla Bill may actually be able to pull that off next year but we'll see- it's way too soon to know. Even worse- we're starting a redshirt freshman who is supposed to be a guard.

People can say what they want to about the o-line performing or not sucking as much as some people say- but the reality of the situation is no matter what the stats say we're never going to optimize that position group until we recruit better. Which means bringing in five guys just about every year. And it's going to become even more important starting in 2019 when the NCAA stops allowing people to "count back" meaning if Hevesy signs a bunch of guys that don't qualify or no one at all with the idea that we can get someone down the road- we're basically wasting spots in our class and won't be able to make them up starting next year.

So, all of that is to say I feel kind of bad for Reese because it's not totally his fault that he has been put in a crappy situation. Hevesy has had multiple chances to fix that spot in the offseason and failed pretty much every time- first with D'Marcus Hayes who was a JUCO from Madison and ended up at Georgia and then most recently with Brandon Hodges as a grad transfer to Pittsburgh.

It is what it is at this point- all we can really do is try to use a TE to help Reese like we did at La Tech and maybe rotate Eiland in to try to take some pressure off of Reese although that may be just putting lipstick on a pig.

I'm not going to pile-on the kid, hes still a young-un. But, the one thing you can absolutely control is your effort. He stood out to me initially for standing around and watching our backs fight for yards like he had bought a ticket to the game.

Reason2succeed
09-11-2017, 02:46 AM
Hey guys, after the season is over do we need to start a fire Hevesy website to get Mullen's attention? I know it may seem drastic but I'm no student of football but even I can tell that he is BY FAR the weakest link in recruiting. And people may say, "but once they get on campus he is a pretty good coach" but that just isn't the college game. Recruiting is as important as coaching it not more. Ask OM.

Don't blast me for being drastic. I'm just asking. Do we need FireHev.com?

Ari Gold
09-11-2017, 05:53 AM
Hey guys, after the season is over do we need to start a fire Hevesy website to get Mullen's attention? I know it may seem drastic but I'm no student of football but even I can tell that he is BY FAR the weakest link in recruiting. And people may say, "but once they get on campus he is a pretty good coach" but that just isn't the college game. Recruiting is as important as coaching it not more. Ask OM.

Easy answer. Yes.

Bully13
09-11-2017, 06:28 AM
Wait till we play against D-Linemen who can't be pancaked by a Gibson stiff arm.

WinningIsRelentless
09-11-2017, 06:41 AM
He is just over thinking which is making him move slow. Once he engages he is good. Don't read to much into the end being free on his end on some runs because that's the read guy on the option.

bostondawg
09-11-2017, 07:54 AM

Completely agreed. I think much of that loafing is due to a lack of self-confidence in the position he's playing. He makes one bad read, blocks the wrong guy, gets the QB hit, and then feels sorry for himself. Everyone is right that he's gotta get a better mentality to play the position--but that will come in time. In the mean time, if he were at a more comfortable position (guard), he could think less and play more.

I might add that the thing above all others that stood out to me about Elgton Jenkins when he was a freshman was that he played nasty. That didn't come across in his high school school recruiting profile, of course. And I loved Jenkins for that.

But yep, at the end of the day, until we recruit the position better, nothing will improve. This is on Hev.

Lumpy Chucklelips
09-11-2017, 08:06 AM
Todd nailed it. I know things aren't always going to be ideal, but I don't feel you should ever start an OL before their redshirt So. year. That takes planning and projecting a few years ahead. I just don't see us doing that. It seems every year we're looking for someone to come in and start at a position or two. When you don't have all of the ingredients for a recipe, you're not getting the full effect for that recipe. Same in football. We're not seeing the full effect of Mullen's offense. When is he going to get tired of not seeing the full effect of what his offense can be?

Jack Lambert
09-11-2017, 08:08 AM
Dan will put a T End in to help pass block.

Percho
09-11-2017, 10:14 AM
I get sick of reading these threads but am going to continue to read them, because I like being sick.

Coach007
09-11-2017, 10:24 AM

LOL! I can't imagine you guys being a fan of LSU.

They allowed 9 TFL, 2 sacks, Hurry ups, and has decreased Guice's numbers by roughly 3 ypc.

I remember the good old days.... "FIRE MULLEN NOW BEFORE WE WASTE DAK's JR AND SR YEARS!"

Jack Lambert
09-11-2017, 10:30 AM
He's going to get better. He's just young.

Johnson85
09-11-2017, 10:47 AM
LOL! I can't imagine you guys being a fan of LSU.

They allowed 9 TFL, 2 sacks, Hurry ups, and has decreased Guice's numbers by roughly 3 ypc.

I remember the good old days.... "FIRE MULLEN NOW BEFORE WE WASTE DAK's JR AND SR YEARS!"

That's much more shitastic on LSU's part, but I bet they don't have the same problem 3 out of the next 6 years.

Our issue is we continually end up without five serviceable OL. Clausell, Jenkins, and now Reese all had to play a year too early. And it's not like it's because we had an upper classman or two not pan out or some unforeseen levels of attrition. We just failed to sign a minimum number of OL prospects. That's just ridiculous.

QuadrupleOption
09-11-2017, 11:10 AM
Yeah I mean, we only seem to break offensive records every year under Mullen. Obviously our Oline is terrible because we don't bust off 10+ yards every single play.

NCDawg
09-11-2017, 11:15 AM
We redshirt offensive linemen, thinking maybe they can help later, but it seems our redshirts don't turn out good enough to play. For instance, we could have Moon playing center, if he was good enough, and then move Jenkins back to tackle. This is Moon's 3rd year and he's still not good enough, at least in Hevesy's opinion. We also have Cochran and Parker who have redshirted, and aren't playing. It seems to me we sign enough OL most of the time (last year excluded), but we apparently don't sign quality players, although I don't trust Hevesy's evaluation of the players.

Coach007
09-11-2017, 11:19 AM
Yeah I mean, we only seem to break offensive records every year under Mullen. Obviously our Oline is terrible because we don't bust off 10+ yards every single play.

Exactly

Jack Lambert
09-11-2017, 11:24 AM
We redshirt offensive linemen, thinking maybe they can help later, but it seems our redshirts don't turn out good enough to play. For instance, we could have Moon playing center, if he was good enough, and then move Jenkins back to tackle. This is Moon's 3rd year and he's still not good enough, at least in Hevesy's opinion. We also have Cochran and Parker who have redshirted, and aren't playing. It seems to me we sign enough OL most of the time (last year excluded), but we apparently don't sign quality players, although I don't trust Hevesy's evaluation of the players.

I am not a coach and I am not an expert but I have hear Matt, coaches and other sports commentator explain that with Mullen's offense the lineman don't have to be supermen. It's all zone blocking. Fitz puts the ball in the RB stomach and fitz is reading the zone. If it is open he hands off but for that to work the RB has to see the hole as well. Holloway could not see the hole and Shump ignore the hole to run someone over. Williams actually sees the hole that Fitz sees. If theres a hole he knows Fitz isn't going to pull the ball. Now sometimes the hole closes before Williams can get into it.

I get piss at the offensive line just like everyone else but our offense continues to put up a lot of yards. It's just not pretty. I am worried about Reese Pass Blocking.

deltadawg99
09-11-2017, 11:37 AM
Reese will get better as the season goes on. The truth of the matter is that he's being forced to play before he is ready and I'm sure he's over thinking things.

Now that being said, you can make up for inexperience with effort and that's something that he needs to improve on right away.