PDA

View Full Version : Not Ranked but Coaches like us more than the fake media

Reason2succeed
09-10-2017, 10:22 PM
http://www.espn.com/college-football/rankings

Florida and Tennessee being ranked is a joke. They both look terrible but I guess they have to be ranked for their game publicity.

ShotgunDawg
09-10-2017, 10:41 PM
It's amazing to me how difficult it is to get ranked.

I mean, we finish in the top 25 in recruiting most years & have been to 8 straight bowl games.

I'm just not quite sure why it's so difficult for us to be recognized.

tireddawg
09-10-2017, 10:44 PM

I mean, we finish in the top 25 in recruiting most years & have been to 8 straight bowl games.

I prefer it this way, but it's coming

ShotgunDawg
09-10-2017, 10:45 PM
I prefer it this way, but it's coming

Why would anyone prefer it this way?

I've never understood that perspective from MSU fans.

How does it help us to not be ranked?

Reason2succeed
09-11-2017, 03:23 AM

We simply have not done a good enough job in the media. Preseason polls are about logos and helmets. Yes we could win and be more consistent but it goes further than that. We don't demand national attention.

Part of it is our school's culture. Unlike OM and Auburn fans our mentality is that of an engineer that says "I'll wait till I see it/show me". Other fanbases go straight on hype and are bullish with the media about it.

I sometimes get pissed when Bo Bounds or Jake Wimberly talk to the national media guys because sometimes they don't even mention State. They just talk about Florida the whole segment even though Florida sucks this year. I'm not asking them to be Yancy or a Bama homer but good grief. What other fanbase would allow their media to ignore them?

Also, we have no one on ESPN or the SEC Network. This matters. The set of "Thinking Out Loud" has almost no evidence that MSU exists on it. With no media presence it is easy for them to forget us or talk down about us with no push back. We need someone to emerge in the media and Dak will be in the NFL for the next 15 years.

Howboutdemdogs
09-11-2017, 06:11 AM
All polls are bias. It is a popularity contest for the preseason and first 1/3 of the year. We fail at State at "showing" love to the national guys. We do not give them any attention; therefore, they do not reciprocate.

BB30
09-11-2017, 08:42 AM
We went 6-7 last year and have beat two below average teams. Win this weekend and we will be ranked.

THE Bruce Dickinson
09-11-2017, 08:50 AM
Notre Dame went 4-8 in 2016, and Texas went 5-7 with a loss to Kansas yet both were in the preseason top 25.

It's about your brand

Covercorner2
09-11-2017, 08:59 AM
http://www.espn.com/college-football/rankings

Florida and Tennessee being ranked is a joke. They both look terrible but I guess they have to be ranked for their game publicity.

We are ranked #19 in the ESPN FPI, FWIW.....

ShotgunDawg
09-11-2017, 09:08 AM
We are ranked #19 in the ESPN FPI, FWIW.....

That's what we should be ranked right now.

With our recruiting classes consistently ranked in the top 25 + having a quality HC & DC + being above average at QB, we should be ranked somewhere between 17-23.

Not sure why the media can't see this.

gtowndawg
09-11-2017, 09:26 AM
The only thing left at this point is a big name win every year. An LSU, a Bama (I know) or a Georgia type game. We've had the consistency, now we need the pop at least once a year.

Mobile Bay
09-11-2017, 09:27 AM

Meanwhile Texas, a complete shitshow last year with a new coach was ranked. I believe the powers that be do not want us to be good because of our small rankings footprint.

IMissJack
09-11-2017, 09:31 AM

Must be nice to be in the East.

Lord McBuckethead
09-11-2017, 10:33 AM
We went 6-7 last year and have beat two below average teams. Win this weekend and we will be ranked.

Bingo. We went to a bowl game because he had good grades. We lost to BYU and South Alabama last year. Those were bad..... losses. If we won 8 games last year and didn't shit the bed during the other 4, then we would be ranked this year.
ND and TX get the benefit of the doubt because they should be good. They have tons of money and a nationwide recruiting effort. They should be awesome. MSU, we earn it.

QuadrupleOption
09-11-2017, 10:41 AM
The only thing left at this point is a big name win every year. An LSU, a Bama (I know) or a Georgia type game. We've had the consistency, now we need the pop at least once a year.

Other than Bama, we've done that too. We've beaten Florida, Georgia, Tennessee, Auburn, Arkansas, LSU, and Ole Miss over the last 5 years. I do believe that national folks are starting to give us more respect with the whole "Mullen's a QB guru" thing, so I'm hopeful that if we finish with 8+ wins this year we'll get some preseason love next year.

It's just frustrating that teams like Florida and Tennessee get hyped every year but really aren't all that good.

JoseBrown
09-11-2017, 11:43 AM
They prolly think we're in meetings with the COI right now, and afraid to rank us.***

Jack Lambert
09-11-2017, 11:44 AM
Other than Bama, we've done that too. We've beaten Florida, Georgia, Tennessee, Auburn, Arkansas, LSU, and Ole Miss over the last 5 years. I do believe that national folks are starting to give us more respect with the whole "Mullen's a QB guru" thing, so I'm hopeful that if we finish with 8+ wins this year we'll get some preseason love next year.

It's just frustrating that teams like Florida and Tennessee get hyped every year but really aren't all that good.

Add Auburn to that list.

gtowndawg
09-11-2017, 11:49 AM

I understand, but in retrospect those wins look better at the time than the end of the year. We need to beat a stud team that remains a stud team the entire season. IMO, that's what has hurt us in terms of that final level of respect. We're close but we still have some work left.

shannondawg
09-11-2017, 01:15 PM
How much time and effort is put in by the voters and coaches in their selections? I would assume not much and name recognition probably has a lot to do with how they vote.

Now the true professionals, the bookies probably spend a lot more time on their odds. You take our odds against a #11 ranked team against a what high 30 or low 40th team is less than a touchdown?? You tell me!