PDA

View Full Version : Targeting rule!!

JEDdawg 12
09-09-2017, 09:26 PM
This rule is by far one of the most flawed rule ever!!! Dantzler made a great play and legit hit. This has to be addressed at some point. To many ejections and penalties on a bullshit rule. We just 17ed

Saltydog
09-09-2017, 09:54 PM
they upheld it but agreed in that the rule is flawed.

Reason2succeed
09-09-2017, 09:56 PM

And he launched at him. Don't ask me how he was supposed to defend that legally though.

It sucks because we need him in the first half of the LSU game but he is disqualified. Maybe we can appeal.

MarketingBully
09-09-2017, 10:03 PM

The hit was shoulder pad to shoulder pad. No helmet to helmet hit on that one.

MetEdDawg
09-09-2017, 10:06 PM
And he launched at him. Don't ask me how he was supposed to defend that legally though.

It sucks because we need him in the first half of the LSU game but he is disqualified. Maybe we can appeal.

This. The only way to do it legally is for Dantzler to get trucked by the guy catching the ball and pray he can trip the guys legs up as he gets blasted.

Statecoachingblows**
09-09-2017, 10:06 PM
Does someon review that before just agreeing to a first half suspension?

IMissJack
09-09-2017, 10:09 PM
Basically anytime the head jerks back quickly on a hard hit, the refs are going to flag because they don't want to hear from the head office. Going to ruin the sport.

Going to end up with more receivers with knee injuries because there is no where else to hit them.

3rdGen
09-09-2017, 10:09 PM
That's what I want to know! Does somebody in a office look at these ejections on Monday and say yah or nah on the call. I didn't see the hit but it sounded like on the radio that they had no reason to eject him.

MarketingBully
09-09-2017, 10:10 PM
Does someon review that before just agreeing to a first half suspension?

Their reviewing process was a joke. We can appeal it to the SEC office and get it overturned though which IMO is what we should do. Shit initially, they didn't get the right guy called for it. They said Willie Gay did it. I'd assume we will appeal it though.

BulldogBear
09-09-2017, 10:10 PM
It seems to get worse every season. I'm all for having some kind of rule. But with that said, at some point you just have to understand that it's a physical game.

MarketingBully
09-09-2017, 10:11 PM
Basically anytime the head jerks back quickly on a hard hit, the refs are going to flag because they don't want to hear from the head office. Going to ruin the sport.

It was CUSA refs. They sided with La Tech every possible second and we still beat their ass 57-21.

TUSK
09-09-2017, 10:13 PM
I've had a few discussions with one of my football buddies... the enforcement of the rule seems to be inconsistent, at best...

they oughta just have a penalty called "Hitting an opposing player too hard, number 23. 15 yard penalty, automatic 1st down."

IMissJack
09-09-2017, 10:15 PM
It was CUSA refs. They sided with La Tech every possible second and we still beat their ass 57-21.

I thought on out of conference games, the officials were from the visiting conference, always.

Commercecomet24
09-09-2017, 10:17 PM
I've had a few discussions with one of my football buddies... the enforcement of the rule seems to be inconsistent, at best...

they oughta just have a penalty called "Hitting an opposing player too hard, number 23. 15 yard penalty, automatic 1st down."

Yeah that's the point it's getting too. You hit somebody hard they throw a flag. Snowflakes galore!

JoseBrown
09-09-2017, 10:22 PM
They just threw a Utah player out for targeting BYU's QB on a slide. The Utah player started his dive at the same time BYU's QB started his slide. They ain't moving in slow motion like the replay does. I don't understand how you can throw someone out for that? It was happenstance their heads ended up in the same place. I don't get it. His helmet came off, but it wasn't a hard hit. More of a brushing hit.

redstickdawg
09-09-2017, 10:27 PM
The refs were a joke, on a couple of plays before their consolation TD the play clock was reading 0 for 3-5 seconds before the snap and their was no flag. These refs were BYU'ish bad. Hopefully the targeting will be reviewed fairly and should be overturned.

MarketingBully
09-09-2017, 10:27 PM
I thought on out of conference games, the officials were from the visiting conference, always.

Those were CUSA refs.

Reason2succeed
09-09-2017, 10:30 PM
Oh, and that dude didn't complete the catch on that trash TD. Mullen was right to challenge but obviously the review crew had already packed up and gone home.

IMissJack
09-09-2017, 10:38 PM
Those were CUSA refs.

I'm not saying they weren't, I'm asking why there were CUSA refs.

MarketingBully
09-09-2017, 10:38 PM
Oh, and that dude didn't complete the catch on that trash TD. Mullen was right to challenge but obviously the review crew had already packed up and gone home.

Shit, they didn't even announce the call was confirmed or anything like that. They just waited five seconds after they said it was being reviewed then just continued with the extra point try. Horrible horrible officiating.

MarketingBully
09-09-2017, 10:39 PM
I'm not saying they weren't, I'm asking why there were CUSA refs.

I have no idea.

JoseBrown
09-09-2017, 10:41 PM

I was wondering if he really had complete control of it. Not sure what defines a catch anymore. He caught it, was bringing it in and changing hands at the same time it was knocked out from behind. Not sure if he had completed the catch or not. The more they change the possession rule for a catch, the more I stay confused. And I didn't trust that crew with much.

Oh, and I thought they review every scoring play automatically, but Dan had to fuss at them to get them to do whatever they did or didn't do...

TUSK
09-09-2017, 10:53 PM
Yeah that's the point it's getting too. You hit somebody hard they throw a flag. S******** galore!

Be careful using the "S" word... you could get in trouble, or even banned*....

FIFY

Dawgcentral
09-09-2017, 11:13 PM
Dantzler came in hard at waist level with his right shoulder pad and made a football play.

It was a great hit.

Ed Orgeron will wake up every 45 minutes each night this week to make sure Simmons is not lurking underneath his bed.

mstatefan91
09-09-2017, 11:34 PM
This is the ridiculous part of that rule to me. What is Dantzler supposed to do in that situation? Hug him?

Hit him or he gets yards.

MSUMatt
09-10-2017, 07:14 AM
I thought all the reviews were very...um...quick.

Ari Gold
09-10-2017, 07:27 AM
The white hat for the game is from Shreveport .. and likes to knock back a couple or 10 from what I was told.
We should have gotten C-USA "A" crew for this game.. and these clowns were not.

starkvegasdawg
09-10-2017, 08:09 AM
I thought all the reviews were very...um...quick.

Quicker than a teenager in the backseat of a car on a Friday night.

RiverCityDawg
09-10-2017, 08:17 AM
A lot of you don't understand the targeting rule after they changed it a year or two ago. It was textbook targeting based on the rule. The receiver was "defenseless" by the definition of someone catching a pass who did not yet have time to become a ball carrier. Then he was hit with forceable contact to the head or neck area. It does NOT have to be helmet to helmet. He does NOT have to lead with the helmet for it to be targeting. Cam lead with the shoulder and launched. It was clear targeting.

I am not saying I like the rule... Maybe it is a dumb rule, but when you break a dumb rule you still get the consequences. There will be no review or appeal.

KB21
09-10-2017, 08:20 AM
A lot of you don't understand the targeting rule after they changed it a year or two ago. It was textbook targeting based on the rule. The receiver was "defenseless" by the definition of someone catching a pass who did not yet have time to become a ball carrier. Then he was hit with forceable contact to the head or neck area. It does NOT have to be helmet to helmet. He does NOT have to lead with the helmet for it to be targeting. Cam lead with the shoulder and launched. It was clear targeting.

I am not saying I like the rule... Maybe it is a dumb rule, but when you break a dumb rule you still get the consequences. There will be no review or appeal.

That's all correct, except the hit was not to the head/neck area. It was a shoulder pad to shoulder pad hit. It was a textbook big hit.

BorneDawg
09-10-2017, 08:54 AM
That's all correct, except the hit was not to the head/neck area. It was a shoulder pad to shoulder pad hit. It was a textbook big hit.

Plus he didn't launch! His feet never left the ground.... go look

RiverCityDawg
09-10-2017, 09:10 AM

If you don't think he struck him in the "head or neck area" you need an anatomy lesson. The shoulder pads cover that area, so yeah he hit him in the shoulder pads...up around the neck. You can argue wit the rule if you want, but I'm just telling you that was targeting based on the rule.

redstickdawg
09-10-2017, 09:11 AM

He didn't launch, led with his shoulder to he shoulder chest area. The receiver was tiny and crumpled and led to an exaggerated reaction like he had been dropped by a .458 Win Mag elephant gun. This replay needs review by someone competent and overturned.

RiverCityDawg
09-10-2017, 09:18 AM

Even if you don't think he launched, another "indicator" is "a crouch and upward thrust to make head or neck contact, even if the hitter still has feet on the ground".

Look I like the hit and aggression. I also hate that he had to be ejected and miss the next half. I also think it was clear targeting based on the rule, and you all would too if he didn't play for your team.

KB21
09-10-2017, 09:29 AM
So, we are including the shoulder as part of the head and neck area. The chest must be part of the head and neck area as well.

That was a shoulder to shoulder hit. It did not include any part of the neck nor any part of the head.

RiverCityDawg
09-10-2017, 10:08 AM
That was a shoulder to shoulder hit. It did not include any part of the neck nor any part of the head.

This is just false. His shoulder pad hit him in the face mask. I'm watching it right now.

This hit will be used in referee rules conferences to show an example of textbook targeting.

IMissJack
09-10-2017, 11:54 AM
This is just false. His shoulder pad hit him in the face mask. I'm watching it right now.

This hit will be used in referee rules conferences to show an example of textbook targeting.

Maybe so, but it doesn't make me hate the rule as currently written any less.

Bully13
09-10-2017, 01:17 PM
I just got thru looking at it again and here's why I think it will be overturned.

13 was trying to go low but the receiver was heading low too making it impossible to avoid where the contact happened. There was nothing intentional and 13 was NOT "targeting". I know the rule has been expanded but common sense says that play was not designed to get penalized based on the rule maker's intent.

IMissJack
09-10-2017, 01:21 PM
The receiver was very short, which compounds the issue. I don't expect anything to be overturned.

HSVDawg
09-10-2017, 02:16 PM
If you don't think he struck him in the "head or neck area" you need an anatomy lesson. The shoulder pads cover that area, so yeah he hit him in the shoulder pads...up around the neck. You can argue wit the rule if you want, but I'm just telling you that was targeting based on the rule.

Yep. One way that it can be prevented? Wrap up....just like you are taught to do everytime going back to Pop Warner ball. A lot of the targeting calls are a result of bad habits players have developed over playing football for over a decade before the rule came into play. Anytime the defenders arms never leave his body, it is going to send up a red flag to the official. That is one of the indicators they are taught to look for. It's also a lot easier to cause fumbles and break up passes when you tackle that way as well....but everybody wants to get the "big hit".