PDA

View Full Version : Something Matt said on H2H yesterday about the offense

TrapGame
09-08-2017, 09:16 AM
Matt said looking at the film we had a TE open in the middle of field all game long but Fitz rarely took the open throw like he was coached to go for longer passes. Matt then said for State people to keep that in mind for the LSU game. And I know we've all discussed on here how TEs would be used heavily this year.

smootness
09-08-2017, 09:24 AM
That's interesting, but I think stuff like this gets blown out of proportion sometimes. I believe we limited our offense somewhat so as not to tip our hand too much, but I also believe we ran Fitz less just to keep him healthy. After all, it's not like teams are going to be suddenly surprised when Fitz starts running more. That is what our offense is.

Same thing here. I wouldn't be shocked if there were some small instructions to Fitz about not having to fully open things up. But I also think the coaches would want to get Fitz used to making the right decision, and I would think that is more important than trying to mask something small for LSU. After all, if Matt Wyatt saw the TE open on film, LSU will certainly see it. I doubt they're going to think we won't be throwing to a wide open TE simply because we didn't do it as much in the opening game.

War Machine Dawg
09-08-2017, 09:26 AM
That's interesting, but I think stuff like this gets blown out of proportion sometimes. I believe we limited our offense somewhat so as not to tip our hand too much, but I also believe we ran Fitz less just to keep him healthy. After all, it's not like teams are going to be suddenly surprised when Fitz starts running more. That is what our offense is.

Same thing here. I wouldn't be shocked if there were some small instructions to Fitz about not having to fully open things up. But I also think the coaches would want to get Fitz used to making the right decision, and I would think that is more important than trying to mask something small for LSU. After all, if Matt Wyatt saw the TE open on film, LSU will certainly see it. I doubt they're going to think we won't be throwing to a wide open TE simply because we didn't do it as much in the opening game.

Good point. Mullen also went out of his way after the game to praise Fitz's decision making and say his accuracy was a little off. So he must have like what he saw from Fitz last week.

Anonymous
09-08-2017, 09:42 AM
We did some similar things with Dak in 2014... opened up with USM and had a full game plan. Next game was UAB, he had a low 50's comp % and stretched throws a little more. Charleston was also never giving up the middle. Makes sense that were trying to spread them downfield and out so we could primarily run the ball.

Not saying that's definitely what happened, but wouldn't be surprised to see a drastically different approach and result the next two weeks.

preachermatt83
09-08-2017, 11:23 AM
That's what led to dan saying " nobody knows what's about to take this field" when we played LSU in 2014. Dan is notorious for not showing his hand against lesser competition

parabrave
09-08-2017, 11:26 AM
Matt must have saw that play when our TE was wide open downfield and Fitz otherthrew him by 20 yards.