PDA

View Full Version : SEC to experiment with expanded replay in baseball

Todd4State
09-07-2017, 08:40 PM
Per Kendall Rogers article.

The most important proposal is an expansion of the video review/instant replay procedures. Under the SEC?s proposed rule change, a coach would be granted one video challenge per game. Should the challenge succeed, the coach would have another to use later in the game. However, if it failed, he?d lose the ability to challenge another play the rest of the game. That would not preclude the umpire crew from initiating a video review.
While the current reviewable plays are narrow in scope, the proposal from the NCAA would expand it to force/tag play calls, hit-by-pitch calls, tag-up plays, placement of runners situations and interference by runners when breaking up a double play. The expansion also would include the following base-running calls: Calls involving whether a base runner passes a preceding runner before that runner is out; determinations of whether a base runner scored ahead of a third out; and, upon an appropriate appeal by the defensive team, whether a base runner touched a base.
Expanded replay and video review would be welcomed by much of the sport after repeated blown calls at this year?s College World Series, something that should never happen on the sport?s grandest stage. While this change, for now, applies to the SEC, other conferences would have the ability to do the same once the Rules Panel approves it.

This is much needed after LSU's run last year where they won the SEC in part because of a blown call against South Carolina which would have been reversed by MLB replay rules and then the umpiring debacle against Oregon State this year.

HoopsDawg
09-07-2017, 08:56 PM
I like the ear piece for the catcher too. Should speed up the game. I also wish they would go to no signs to the batter with no one on base and limit the trips to the mound.

Lumpy Chucklelips
09-08-2017, 08:57 AM
So if we implement things to speed up the games, I want them to address the possibility of having doubleheaders on Saturday again. Wouldn't have to do it every Saturday...maybe once, twice, three times per year. Leave it up to home team to decide. 10 conference series...let each home team choose two weekends ....would give each team 4 doubleheaders (2 home, 2 away) and 6 single game series.