PDA

View Full Version : Dump OM and add a promotion/relegation system to the SEC

Reason2succeed
09-07-2017, 06:20 PM
Let me start by saying this is totally just for fun. I'm not even sure it would be possible because of the nature of CFB scheduling. (Someone with more understanding of how the EnglishnPremier League does this might be able to explain.)

For those of you who are not familiar with relegation and promotion it means that there is a subl bel that can play their way in to a "premier" league.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Promotion_and_relegation

Having said that it would be cool if after OM gets a death penalty and voted out of the conference if the SEC expanded by "promoting" the previous year conference champion from the CUSA, AAC, and maybe Big East. It would bring more interest to those leagues games if SEC fans knew that they were possible future opponents. It would allow the SEC to "expand" without getting stuck with one dud program on Vandy level.
Instead you could get SMU, Houston, UConn, USM, Cincinnati, or Memphis on a one year basis.

Thoughts?

BrunswickDawg
09-07-2017, 06:34 PM
It be brilliant - if only someone hadn't already thought of it years ago and hadn't been doing a running simulation since 2002.....
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/college-football/2017/6/6/15724156/college-football-relegation-promotion-simulation

gravedigger
09-07-2017, 06:47 PM
Let me start by saying this is totally just for fun. I'm not even sure it would be possible because of the nature of CFB scheduling. (Someone with more understanding of how the EnglishnPremier League does this might be able to explain.)

For those of you who are not familiar with relegation and promotion it means that there is a subl bel that can play their way in to a "premier" league.

Having said that it would be cool if after OM gets a death penalty and voted out of the conference if the SEC expanded by "promoting" the previous year conference champion from the CUSA, AAC, and maybe Big East. It would bring more interest to those leagues games if SEC fans knew that they were possible future opponents. It would allow the SEC to "expand" without getting stuck with one dud program on Vandy level.
Instead you could get SMU, Houston, UConn, USM, Cincinnati, or Memphis on a one year basis.

Thoughts?

To take your jovial point in a serious direction, no. I enjoy having them as a rival. I enjoy that they embrace the better than you attitude and I enjoy being a part of the opposite of that. I love knowing that what they represent, in nearly every form, is the opposite of the school I support. So therefore, I am against any notion of them being allowed to run away and hide now that they realize that they will never overcome us legitimately.

The most important sports reason is this: Now they went all in on cheating, the nation will forever believe that ANY success they have is suspect.

We couldnt have purchased that perception if we had all the oil in the middle east. We needed them to do it to themselves. I do not want this to ever end.

BulldogBear
09-07-2017, 08:01 PM
To take your jovial point in a serious direction, no. I enjoy having them as a rival. I enjoy that they embrace the better than you attitude and I enjoy being a part of the opposite of that. I love knowing that what they represent, in nearly every form, is the opposite of the school I support. So therefore, I am against any notion of them being allowed to run away and hide now that they realize that they will never overcome us legitimately.

The most important sports reason is this: Now they went all in on cheating, the nation will forever believe that ANY success they have is suspect.

We couldnt have purchased that perception if we had all the oil in the middle east. We needed them to do it to themselves. I do not want this to ever end.

I like the way you think. They don't get to quit now that things have turned. We endured two decades amounting to 0-17-3. Now it's their turn. They can take their lumps and "bear" it. Screw them.

Dawg61
09-07-2017, 08:12 PM

Thoughts?

I think it'd be a disaster. First year sounds ok but second year you might be kicking out another SEC team instead of the 14th team you just allowed in and eventually you'll be seriously watering down the conference. What I think you want is a one year rental on rotation but that'd be a disaster too. You basically just want to **** her(14th team) and get rid of her and then **** her friend the next year. That's not a very nice way to treat your brand new member of only one year. Haha it's hilarious though

TUSK
09-07-2017, 08:27 PM
Y'all need to hang on to OM.... trust me....

The last thing you want is an "upstart".

Quaoarsking
09-07-2017, 08:34 PM
It be brilliant - if only someone hadn't already thought of it years ago and hadn't been doing a running simulation since 2002.....
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/college-football/2017/6/6/15724156/college-football-relegation-promotion-simulation

To be fair, it's not like SB Nation was the first person to ever think of this either.

Quaoarsking
09-07-2017, 08:40 PM
It would never work in college football because rosters turn over so quickly. Teams like Northern Illinois or Western Michigan or whoever occasionally have a great season on the backs of a senior class. If they were promoted to the Big 10, all the players who got them there would be gone, and there would just be a terrible team in the top division.

You'd also see a lot of powerful, popular teams demoted. Imagine if Notre Dame, Texas, UCLA, Arizona, Arizona State, etc., were all d2 teams this year because of one bad year last year. Not good for the sport. Also imagine if we were in some hypothetical year.

I would support a system like this for MLS, NHL, and NBA.

TUSK
09-07-2017, 08:55 PM
I'm with Q... However, I'd like to see the top Division of college football reduced to about 4 or 5 conferences with 10-12 teams.....

Dawg61
09-07-2017, 09:02 PM
I would support a system like this for MLS, NHL, and NBA.

I really do wish for a relegation system for MLB. I know it'll never happen but I would love it if the Phillies and Giants had to rot in AAA next year.

Reason2succeed
09-07-2017, 11:05 PM
I think it'd be a disaster. First year sounds ok but second year you might be kicking out another SEC team instead of the 14th team you just allowed in and eventually you'll be seriously watering down the conference. What I think you want is a one year rental on rotation but that'd be a disaster too. You basically just want to **** her(14th team) and get rid of her and then **** her friend the next year. That's not a very nice way to treat your brand new member of only one year. Haha it's hilarious though

I was thinking have the 13 members of the current SEC with 3 spots that rotate. But there are great points made about why it would never work or would suck.

Dawg61
09-08-2017, 12:16 AM
I was thinking have the 13 members of the current SEC with 3 spots that rotate. But there are great points made about why it would never work or would suck.

I do love the relegation system the EPL has and really want it implemented for NFL, NBA and MLB teams. I just don't see how it could work for college though.

TUSK
09-08-2017, 07:21 AM
Lemme make sure I understand what y'all are talkin' 'bout...

...the lower ranking/performing SEC teams get booted and replaced with "better" performing non-SEC teams on a recurring basis???

Why would you want to risk losing the SEC subsidy check? Maybe I misunderstood....