PDA

View Full Version : yall might dig on this RE: potential Xfer rule change

TUSK
09-06-2017, 10:44 PM
https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/first-10-ncaa-considering-rule-change-that-would-change-college-football/

Todd4State
09-06-2017, 11:00 PM
I think that would actually hurt MSU to be honest with you. We barely take grad transfers in football- it's just not how Dan runs our program. And that's not me bitching- I'm fine with developing players. Heck- he barely takes JUCO guys that aren't out by January. I think it would help Ole Miss get through probation because they could just get a team of transfers after they get through the death penalty in a few years. I think it would create less parity because I could see guys "wanting a ring" and going somewhere like Alabama or Ohio State to do that- which would suck for someone like MSU who develops a guy for however long like a Benardrick McKinney- only to see them transfer to Alabama to help beat us. So, basically you would only have the elite of college football with any chance of doing anything really.

The thing about the coaches being able to leave is dumb. Coaches are professionals. The players in college are not. I know it's a business but at some point you have to draw the line and say "this is still college". The players can transfer now if they want to- but they have to do so within the rules. I don't like this at all.

Apoplectic
09-06-2017, 11:05 PM
Bad idea. Don't see how it helps true student athletes. Who is pushing this and why?

ckDOG
09-06-2017, 11:18 PM
I'm generally welcoming of change but this is going to make college football un-f'ing-bearable to keep up with. I love the intent of allowing a player buried in the depth chart the ability to transfer for more likely playing time, but this has unintended consequences written all over it. This is going to have to be heavily regulated to keep the sport from turning into a giant cluster of constant recruiting.

One big positive - we could poach 3rd string o linemen from Bama.

Two big negatives - Bama decides Kylin Hill is a beast and snags him for his remaining years or we have a couple disappointing seasons and half the roster leaves for greener pastures with no good way to replace.

I think the wins are going to help the power programs more than for lower programs and wouldn't even the playing field whatsoever.

One possible regulation - only allow players participating in less than a certain percentage of games the ability to transfer without penalty. If you are deemed to be a significant contributor, then you are getting PT and exposure and have to sit out like the current system. This would more likely be an equalizer than a transfer free for all.

Todd4State
09-06-2017, 11:30 PM
The other thing about this is it would basically mean that recruiting would essentially never stop. There would probably be an Ole Miss bagman at every campus in America if that passes.

TUSK
09-07-2017, 12:01 AM
I think it'd help Bammer... but I don't much care for the idea...

BulldogBear
09-07-2017, 12:11 AM
This needs to be shot down and I mean blown out of the 17ing sky...and then ground into tiny bits.

PassInterference
09-07-2017, 07:20 AM
Terrible. I think this unanimously fails. Zero votes for.

Bucky Dog
09-07-2017, 07:42 AM
I agree with Todd that this will only help the top programs and hurt the mid tier and below by allowing the big programs to come poach a Dak Prescott or B Mac potentially. It would create chaos and even more underhanded BS and scandal and also much more ass kissing and management of current players by the coaches.

It's a commitment the players make when they sign and to not have some type of penalty for jumping ship at the drop of a hat would basically make signing day pointless in my eyes.

If anything, I would say the ONLY way a player could transfer and play the next year is IF his current school said it was OK, and you cannot transfer to another school in the same conference.

fader2103
09-07-2017, 07:46 AM
I am totally against the rule but if it passes I think that it will ruin redshirting players.

Jack Lambert
09-07-2017, 07:54 AM
It would lead to Boosters paying players to stay.

ShotgunDawg
09-07-2017, 07:54 AM
This rule is terrible, but I wonder if a rule that acted like MLB's 40 man roster would help?

What if at the end of the Spring Semester, teams had to submit a list of 30 underclassmen(FR and SO) that were protected. Meaning those players couldn't transfer without sitting out a year.

All others would be allowed to transfer without sitting out.

This would allow teams to keep their most talented guys while allowing the others to transfer.

Tbonewannabe
09-07-2017, 08:19 AM
I'm generally welcoming of change but this is going to make college football un-f'ing-bearable to keep up with. I love the intent of allowing a player buried in the depth chart the ability to transfer for more likely playing time, but this has unintended consequences written all over it. This is going to have to be heavily regulated to keep the sport from turning into a giant cluster of constant recruiting.

One big positive - we could poach 3rd string o linemen from Bama.

Two big negatives - Bama decides Kylin Hill is a beast and snags him for his remaining years or we have a couple disappointing seasons and half the roster leaves for greener pastures with no good way to replace.

I think the wins are going to help the power programs more than for lower programs and wouldn't even the playing field whatsoever.

One possible regulation - only allow players participating in less than a certain percentage of games the ability to transfer without penalty. If you are deemed to be a significant contributor, then you are getting PT and exposure and have to sit out like the current system. This would more likely be an equalizer than a transfer free for all.

This would have to be considered. Not sure if Dak would have jumped to Bama or LSU his junior or senior year but it would kill college football. It would make all teams a minor league team except for the few power teams that are constantly playing for the National Title. It would just about eliminate the underdog stories. Not only would it strengthen the power teams but hurt the up and comers. There is a reason that professional teams free agency isn't set up like this. There are max contracts or salary caps they have to abide by. This would be if you told Jerry Jones that every year he could sign whoever he wanted to. The Dallas Cowboys would probably look like the Pro Bowl. Tom Brady takes a pay cut to what he should make just to improve the Pats roster. He isn't taking a 5 - 10 million dollar pay cut just because he likes Robert Kraft.

thf24
09-07-2017, 08:21 AM
This change would destroy college football as we know it. Has the NCAA forgotten why they made this rule in the first place?

MarketingBully
09-07-2017, 08:27 AM
I think it'd help Bammer... but I don't much care for the idea...

Interesting you say that because Saban hates the idea. Everyone does but idiot uninformed fans who just want college athletics to fail. I think it would create a bigger and more detrimental impact in college basketball where there already were 1000 transfers. That number would go up to 4000 or so and make the college game unwatchable.

MarketingBully
09-07-2017, 08:28 AM
This change would destroy college football as we know it. Has the NCAA forgotten why they made this rule in the first place?

It would destroy college athletics as we know it.

Johnson85
09-07-2017, 08:41 AM
It'd be nice if there was a way for people buried on the depth chart to transfer out. If there are no disciplinary issues and a player hasn't played a certain number of snaps by his Junior year and has a 3.0, or is a Sr. and hasn't played a certain number of snaps by his senior year, then they can transfer out.

The problem is coming up with a system that is hard to game. If a player doesn't like his coach and wants to sit so he can transfer his junior year, and he lets his performance suffer, you don't want to reward that. You also don't want coaches papering up a lot of minor discipline issues just to create an obstacle to transferring.

There's no doubt that the system now is inequitable, but it's not an easy one to fix without ruining college football by making recruiting a four year deal.

bostondawg
09-07-2017, 09:02 AM
I'm selfish and I literally only look at these things through the filter of "does it help MSU?"

I'm kinda torn. I do think it would help us poach guys from Bama's depth chart who are buried. Scott Lashley could be in Maroon next fall if this rule were to go through.

That being said, the idea of Bama being able to "recruit" our top players once they emerge is scary. Thinking about guys like BMac or Dak, guys who weren't good enough in high school to earn an offer from Bama. But prove their worth at MSU, and suddenly now Bama wants them. As long as schools wouldn't be able to really recruit players off other rosters, it wouldn't be bad.

Okay how about this?
Use redshirting rules. If a player played last year (by definition of redshirting rules), they aren't eligible to transfer without sitting. This would make it so that anyone who plays wouldn't be eligible to transfer without sitting. i.e., Fitz would be safe. But Bama's 4th string 5* WR who would start at MSU could get some playing time.

Johnson85
09-07-2017, 09:17 AM
Interesting you say that because Saban hates the idea. Everyone does but idiot uninformed fans who just want college athletics to fail. I think it would create a bigger and more detrimental impact in college basketball where there already were 1000 transfers. That number would go up to 4000 or so and make the college game unwatchable.

It would make college basketball even more unwatchable than it already is. Nobody would be able to run anything beyond the most basic offensive plays because you wouldn't have players long enough to put anything more complex in place. We are already 75% of the way there with the current rules and the reality that you have to be able to utilize talented true freshmen, but at least some schools run real offenses.

Hypnodawg
09-07-2017, 09:42 AM
This is a terrible rule change. It would basically make 2 or 3 elite teams and everyone else would be a farm teams for them.

confucius say
09-07-2017, 10:33 AM
Horrible proposed rule. Do not want free agency in college athletics.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
09-07-2017, 10:44 AM
Mullen has already said he is against it and what it could possibly lead to....college basketball 2.0

jumbo
09-07-2017, 10:45 AM
Bad idea. Horrible idea if they add the don't need permission to contact part.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
09-07-2017, 10:51 AM
“I don’t think we need to have free agency within our conference. You look at the coaches, and that’s what they’re against,” Mullen said. “I don’t want to sit here (and have to) worry about Tennessee recruiting (my players). I’m worried about signing day, but I’m worried about Tennessee or South Carolina recruiting my senior class.”

Would that really happen?

“I think any time you pass things, there’s a lot of unwritten consequences that might occur and consequences you don’t think about right now,” Mullen replied. “The possibility of something like that happening is not good for the game of football.”

http://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/sports/lsu/article_ad40d7f4-6817-11e7-99fb-1b276e67e172.html

Mimi's Babies
09-07-2017, 11:00 AM
Can schools 'bow out' of this proposed rule (yeah, I know that sounds crazy)? I do not see this helping players nor teams. Much less coaches... could teams start buying players ie.. just like that school up the road.

confucius say
09-07-2017, 11:06 AM
“I don’t think we need to have free agency within our conference. You look at the coaches, and that’s what they’re against,” Mullen said. “I don’t want to sit here (and have to) worry about Tennessee recruiting (my players). I’m worried about signing day, but I’m worried about Tennessee or South Carolina recruiting my senior class.”

Would that really happen?

“I think any time you pass things, there’s a lot of unwritten consequences that might occur and consequences you don’t think about right now,” Mullen replied. “The possibility of something like that happening is not good for the game of football.”

http://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/sports/lsu/article_ad40d7f4-6817-11e7-99fb-1b276e67e172.html

That article is really discussing blocking transfers to certain schools. I'm fine with not allowing blocking, as long as the rule that you have to sit out a year remains in place.

msstate7
09-07-2017, 11:34 AM
If you accept an immediate transfer, it should be some sort of penalty. (I.e. 1 transfer scholarship costs you 2 towards your 85.) If not, bama and Ohio state would poach your roster.

Still think 70 scholarships and add the remaining 15 to baseball is the way to go

MarketingBully
09-07-2017, 01:10 PM
I agree with Mullen. In college basketball, it would end mid-majors as we know it. They are already getting picked clean as it is with the grad transfer rule.

msstate7
09-07-2017, 01:21 PM
I agree with Mullen. In college basketball, it would end mid-majors as we know it. They are already getting picked clean as it is with the grad transfer rule.

Yeah, if I were a blue blood with this rule, I'd sign my elite of the elite then recruit other colleges to fill my 85