PDA

View Full Version : What is everyone looking for against La Tech?

Dawgology
09-05-2017, 04:46 PM
Besides a win.

Secondary seems to be the thing most are interested in but what else? What does La Tech have that can help us learn a little more about our team before we run up against LSU?

Pollodawg
09-05-2017, 04:47 PM
Secondary. Excited to see how we hold up against a pass first offense.

Commercecomet24
09-05-2017, 05:10 PM
Secondary, establish the power run game, and keep Fitz clean in the pocket.

JimmyMcNulty
09-05-2017, 05:23 PM
2 INTs with 4-5 sacks

RougeDawg
09-05-2017, 05:29 PM
This week will most likely not tell us much about how well we will do the following week. LSU is a run first offense. Etling is underwhelming in more games than not. We need to stuff the run this week, and get in the backfield. Probably leave our DB's in some man coverages that we will need against LSU to stuff their run.

400 yards minimum and a balanced offense with very little read option will tell me the offense against LSU should be enough to beat them. Show as little as possible and gen break out the wrinkles against LSU. Fitz needs to show some touch in his passes and stop missing the extremely easy throws. Maybe he was pressing too much Saturday, but he left a ton of yards on the field.

Big4Dawg
09-05-2017, 05:47 PM
To cover by 7

Dental Dawg33
09-05-2017, 05:52 PM
Solid secondary, OL keep pressure off fitz and open lanes, better accuracy with fitz, better 17ing place kicking, NO INJURIES

klong-dog
09-05-2017, 05:53 PM
Is J'mar Smith really the starter? I wouldn't think he's be the typical La Tech air raid QB, that they've always had, that throws it 40+ times a game.

TrapGame
09-05-2017, 05:55 PM
A ferocious defensive front that wreaks havoc. A want to see J'Mar hurried and sacked several times with his head on a swivel. I'd like to see at least two interceptions from our secondary.

A want to see improved exchange from center to QB. A want to see Nick hit some long passes. And I want to see a good ground game with Aeris and Kylin.

Finally, I want to see Tucker make at least one 40 yarder to build his confidence.

klong-dog
09-05-2017, 05:55 PM
Is J'mar Smith really the starter? I wouldn't think he's be the typical La Tech air raid QB, that they've always had, that throws it 40+ times a game.
Offensively I want Fitz to keep improving on the short to intermediate passes. 3 & 6 type plays. Defense to show it's depth and to keep flying around the field, making plays.

Jack Lambert
09-05-2017, 06:04 PM
Cheerleaders and MILFS.

starkvegasdawg
09-05-2017, 06:27 PM
Snaps over ankle high and solid secondary play.

Hasu Dackds
09-05-2017, 06:29 PM
No injuries and more PT for Thompson.

Pollodawg
09-05-2017, 06:40 PM
Need to see the snap come up and Fitz chill out a little. He just needs to get some passes down a little, but getting the snaps higher will help.

ShotgunDawg
09-05-2017, 06:40 PM
I want to see a team that has the leadership, intensity, and internal culture to walk into a 30K seat stadium and smoke someone's ass.

Even when we win, we always seem to play bad in these games. Going into Ruston and playing with intensity and physicality, would tell me a ton about the leadership and maturity of this team.

bostondawg
09-05-2017, 06:58 PM
I want to see a team that has the leadership, intensity, and internal culture to walk into a 30K seat stadium and smoke someone's ass.

Even when we win, we always seem to play bad in these games. Going into Ruston and playing with intensity and physicality, would tell me a ton about the leadership and maturity of this team.

A+ point. There are lots of tangible things we can judge Saturday's game on: how does secondary hold up against the pass? Can the OL hold up against a weak FBS DL? Can Fitz make back-shoulder throws consistently?

But I think I wanna see if this team has that it factor. Just like against CSU, it's gonna be real hard to pull any real conclusions from a game against LA Tech. They should be overmatched, and Dan has zero reason to open up the playbook when LSU is coming to town next week. I wanna see swagger and poise.

Turfdawg67
09-05-2017, 07:01 PM
Who rotates in the secondary and how often. If we've got 1A/1B for corners... which it seems like we do, I'll be very excited!

ShotgunDawg
09-05-2017, 07:13 PM
A+ point. There are lots of tangible things we can judge Saturday's game on: how does secondary hold up against the pass? Can the OL hold up against a weak FBS DL? Can Fitz make back-shoulder throws consistently?

But I think I wanna see if this team has that it factor. Just like against CSU, it's gonna be real hard to pull any real conclusions from a game against LA Tech. They should be overmatched, and Dan has zero reason to open up the playbook when LSU is coming to town next week. I wanna see swagger and poise.

Agree. If they are motivated at La Tech, I won't worry about motivation and intensity at Georgia, Auburn, or Ark

Maroons
09-05-2017, 07:15 PM

This. Play a clean game and dominate from the start.

sleepy dawg
09-05-2017, 07:38 PM
Mine isn't so much what I'm looking for, but what I want to see most.

I just want to see 0 missed kicks. I don't care if we go for it every time even on extra points, or if we only go for chip shots, or any other scenario, just as long as we kick 100%.

TaleofTwoDogs
09-05-2017, 08:45 PM
I'm more concerned about the important things like..

- will it be long pants or shorts
- what song will Fitz sing on the sideline
- will the band actually dress out for the game
- are Tech co-eds hot or meh
- do their cups stink
- is the Ouachita Brewing Co still open

tough choices got to be made........

raymond21
09-05-2017, 09:12 PM
Right side of O line block would be the first thing I would like to see

Todd4State
09-05-2017, 09:39 PM
I want to see:

Nick running the option more.

Kylin getting the second most carries behind Aeris.

1-2 catches for Couch and Todd to see them get worked in to the WR rotation more and more.

Improved center play and if not I want to see Moon in at center by the start of the second half.

The DL/LB's to continue to be nasty.

The DB's to look just as good as the front seven. Peters and Dantzler need to play at least 50% and in all honesty they should be the starters.
Day to have a better day kicking field goals.

Dolphus Raymond
09-05-2017, 09:44 PM
Cheerleaders and MILFS.

Damn, Jack, you are my brother from a different mother.

TUSK
09-05-2017, 10:02 PM
La Tech is the 10th most talented (*s) team on the schedule...

Smoke em (by minimum 3 scores), bang their bishes, don't get anyone hurt, come home, and never, ever play AT La Tech, again..... ever.

Bothrops
09-05-2017, 10:35 PM
La Tech is gonna come out on fire. I suspect it may be a close game. Which means we'll have to win the 4th quarter.

Cooterpoot
09-05-2017, 10:45 PM
Another 17'g beat down. This game shouldn't be close.

Kyper
09-05-2017, 10:51 PM
We win by 14-20 points

State fans need to bet the Dawgs again like last week and make some money yet again this weekend. Enjoy the 2-0 covers to start 2017

Todd4State
09-05-2017, 11:05 PM
La Tech is the 10th most talented (*s) team on the schedule...

Smoke em (by minimum 3 scores), bang their bishes, don't get anyone hurt, come home, and never, ever play AT La Tech, again..... ever.

I'm honestly not sure why it's not in Shreveport myself. That's where La Tech played Texas A&M a few years ago.

Bdawg
09-05-2017, 11:21 PM
Clean line play with good snaps. No busted coverages or opposing receivers running wide open. A pass rush from hell. Attitude and swagger, knowing we are about to stomp your a**!!!!! That'll do it for me.

BuckyIsAB****
09-05-2017, 11:40 PM
They can pitch and catch it with the best of them. Their QB is the real deal and they are pretty good outside. It will be a good test for our secondary and LBs in coverage.

I wanna see us whip their ass up front both sides, and tackle well. They are gonna struggle to get stops against us

thf24
09-06-2017, 07:59 AM
Their QB is the real deal and they are pretty good outside.

Are you talking about Higgins, their QB last year? He graduated. Not sure I'd call J'Mar Smith the "real deal" yet; his numbers last week weren't great for an offense like theirs against an FCS team.

TrapGame
09-06-2017, 08:13 AM
Are you talking about Higgins, their QB last year? He graduated. Not sure I'd call J'Mar Smith the "real deal" yet; his numbers last week weren't great for an offense like theirs against an FCS team.

Exactly. J'Mar didn't start looking good until the 4th quarter when the Demons' defense was totally gassed.

louisvilledawg
09-06-2017, 08:22 AM
Cheerleaders and MILFS.

my man.

3rdGen
09-06-2017, 09:00 AM
Going to a game without having to listen to a journey song? ........... Yeah that's it, oh, and if the db's can be in the correct positions to prevent big passing plays.

wayneland5025
09-06-2017, 09:23 AM
Just win the game. Remember the last time we played at La Tech, it wasnt much fun. They are not a bad team .

Hasu Dackds
09-06-2017, 09:25 AM

You are not very realistic, and a little too idealistic. You cannot expect our A-game on the road in this environment, with one of our biggest games of the year looming in the following week. It's just not possible. I hate to pull out this card, but if you have ever played football, you understand this.

GreenheadDawg
09-06-2017, 09:47 AM
They can pitch and catch it with the best of them. Their QB is the real deal and they are pretty good outside. It will be a good test for our secondary and LBs in coverage.

I wanna see us whip their ass up front both sides, and tackle well. They are gonna struggle to get stops against us

I saw him play in high school and last week. The "real deal" seems a little exaggerated to me.

ShotgunDawg
09-06-2017, 09:58 AM
You are not very realistic, and a little too idealistic. You cannot expect our A-game on the road in this environment, with one of our biggest games of the year looming in the following week. It's just not possible. I hate to pull out this card, but if you have ever played football, you understand this.

I didn't say we have to play our A-game & didn't say we have to come out super hyped.

I just said that it would say a lot about the emotional maturity & leadership of this if they were able to go into a 30K seat stadium & whoop someone's ass.

I realize it's not going to be LSU level emotion, but great teams with leadership & maturity go into situations like La Tech & take care of bidness with poise & an emotionless, assassin like demeanor.

Some of you mistake playing well with meaning that you have to be a 110% emotional capacity & that's simply not the case. That's what inconsistent teams do

It's really not unrealistic

Hasu Dackds
09-06-2017, 10:10 AM
I didn't say we have to play our A-game & didn't say we have to come out super hyped.

I just said that it would say a lot about the emotional maturity & leadership of this if they were able to go into a 30K seat stadium & whoop someone's ass.

I realize it's not going to be LSU level emotion, but great teams with leadership & maturity go into situations like La Tech & take care of bidness with poise & an emotionless, assassin like demeanor.

Some of you mistake playing well with meaning that you have to be a 110% emotional capacity & that's simply not the case. That's what inconsistent teams do

I guess we had a miscommunication of what "smoke someone's ass" means. If you want 45-10, I don't think it happens. If it's a hard fought solid win, like USM in 2015, I would probably agree.

TrapGame
09-06-2017, 10:20 AM

I understand what you mean Shotgun. It's mental toughness. Mullen talked about a business-like attitude in 2014. I can see that in this team too. Take care of business every game.

BuckyIsAB****
09-06-2017, 07:06 PM

J'mar Smith is absolutely the real deal. Almost beat Arkansas as a true freshman, started at Meridian at QB as a freshman, going against him for 4 years trust me he's good

BuckyIsAB****
09-06-2017, 07:08 PM
I saw him play in high school and last week. The "real deal" seems a little exaggerated to me.

He's good. I hope our team takes him more seriously than some of us are

Drugdog
09-06-2017, 07:39 PM
A football game.

Commercecomet24
09-06-2017, 07:44 PM

It is, he should've stuck with baseball.

bdfan09
09-06-2017, 08:10 PM
It is, he should've stuck with baseball.

Not to mention the fact that Mullen passed on him for Tiano.

Homedawg
09-06-2017, 08:35 PM
So have I missed someone saying I hope fitz doesn't overshoot a guy running wide open with nobody running within15 yards of him? Probably not, doesn't involve Hevesy or a kicker.

thf24
09-07-2017, 08:28 AM

Only time will tell. I'm just saying to this point in his career he's had very pedestrian numbers in an offense that makes average QB's look great.

TrapGame
09-07-2017, 09:25 AM

He's good but not great. And frankly, if this defense is the real deal this season they need to pretty much shut him down. They're are better QBs and OLs on our schedule we will face.

chef dixon
09-07-2017, 10:29 AM
So have I missed someone saying I hope fitz doesn't overshoot a guy running wide open with nobody running within15 yards of him? Probably not, doesn't involve Hevesy or a kicker.

This all day. Fitz has to be better. I didn't see much difference from the end of last year passing wise.

BuckyIsAB****
09-07-2017, 10:30 AM
He's good but not great. And frankly, if this defense is the real deal this season they need to pretty much shut him down. They're are better QBs and OLs on our schedule we will face.

Agreed on that. But they will pitch it and catch it some its what they do. We will make some plays and get some pressure I dont think they can block us consistently. Prolly will see a lot of QB runs to keep us honest and perimeter game to make us tackle in space

smootness
09-07-2017, 10:35 AM
This all day. Fitz has to be better. I didn't see much difference from the end of last year passing wise.

He needs to be more consistent in his footwork and he needs to put better touch on some of his passes. But our OL didn't help him much, and when he stepped into his throws they were mostly pretty good.

Dawgology
09-07-2017, 01:37 PM
I'm just hoping to see Fitz run it 10-15 times and then let KT take over on the 2nd drive of the third quarter. I hope we don't try to go "2015 Dak" with Fitz. He hasn't shown me (yet) that he has the overall touch or accuracy to lean on the passing game. He' a runner and we need to let him do that.

smootness
09-07-2017, 02:08 PM
I'm just hoping to see Fitz run it 10-15 times and then let KT take over on the 2nd drive of the third quarter. I hope we don't try to go "2015 Dak" with Fitz. He hasn't shown me (yet) that he has the overall touch or accuracy to lean on the passing game. He' a runner and we need to let him do that.

Not in games like this. Save it for LSU.

Hasu Dackds
09-07-2017, 02:29 PM
I hope we don't try to go "2015 Dak" with Fitz. He hasn't shown me (yet) that he has the overall touch or accuracy to lean on the passing game. He' a runner and we need to let him do that.
We can't do that anyway. We all saw our offense against an FCS opponent Saturday, when Fitzgerald didn't run. We were shut down.

So yes, I'm with you. Run some TDs, open up the offense. Our run sets up the pass.

Jack Lambert
09-07-2017, 03:16 PM
Not to mention the fact that Mullen passed on him for Tiano.

IF that's the case he would still be a La Tech by now.

TrapGame
09-07-2017, 03:22 PM
We can't do that anyway. We all saw our offense against an FCS opponent Saturday, when Fitzgerald didn't run. We were shut down.

So yes, I'm with you. Run some TDs, open up the offense. Our run sets up the pass.

45 offensive points says you're wrong about that. I understand what you're saying but not running Nick is the same reason why Myles was told to signal fair catch all game long. We are saving something for the big boys.

West Tn Dawg
09-07-2017, 03:31 PM
A comfortable win with a very vanilla offense that doesn't expose Fitz very much, and shows LSU nothing!

Powersaw
09-08-2017, 03:39 PM
I'll be shocked if the defensive line doesn't come out with the same intensity as last week. Those guys looked like they were on a mission. Beyond that, I want to see solid pass coverage from the LBs and DBs and improved pass protection from the RT.

BiscuitEater
09-08-2017, 06:26 PM
Fitz not throwing off his back foot!

Fitz was ~80% when stepping up.

Fitz was ~20% when falling back/off back foot.