PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane Irma - Where will it go?

Msujd164
09-04-2017, 05:05 PM
I know it was expected to take a sharp turn north but with every new advisory it keeps creeping and staying south. Do you guys think that it has a chance of sneaking into the Gulf? Looks like a monster storm.

parabrave
09-04-2017, 05:15 PM
Yeah I'm in Biloxi and think we ar going to have to watch this one. Anytime a hurr goes between Miami and Cuba we end up getting it.

Dawgowar
09-04-2017, 05:21 PM
I think we in Texas and you all in Mississippi/Bama need to chant a new hurricane phrase - **** LOUISIANA!

RocketDawg
09-04-2017, 05:52 PM
I know it was expected to take a sharp turn north but with every new advisory it keeps creeping and staying south. Do you guys think that it has a chance of sneaking into the Gulf? Looks like a monster storm.

According to the latest path projection, yes it has a good chance of going just south of the tip of Florida and then into the Gulf ... and its warm waters. Could be another interesting weekend.

MetEdDawg
09-04-2017, 06:04 PM
Gonna have to wait another couple of days to see what the models do with Irma. The general trend has been a bit further south and west. If that trend continues over the next 2 days it could mess with folks along the gulf coast.

But it's too early to make that determination. I think by Wednesday we should hopefully have a better idea of when/where the northward turn is going to happen. Most everyone is in agreement at the moment that Florida is the destination. Gonna have to pay attention to this one. This has the potential to be a really bad one.

starkvegasdawg
09-04-2017, 06:31 PM
Two days ago I gave it a 10% chance of getting in the Gulf. I'm up to 20% now. To hit the MS/AL coast it'll need to travel another 400 miles past its current projected point where it turns north.

MetEdDawg
09-04-2017, 06:53 PM
Two days ago I gave it a 10% chance of getting in the Gulf. I'm up to 20% now. To hit the MS/AL coast it'll need to travel another 400 miles past its current projected point where it turns north.

I don't think it will go that much but I do think the panhandle/western peninsula of FL needs to be careful on this. This is one that 100-200 miles further west could mean the difference between landfall over SE/SW FL and hanging out over water longer and going panhandle.

ScoobaDawg
09-04-2017, 06:55 PM
So hard to know... but more models seem to be pushing it in between cuba and florida and then taking it up the west coast of florida....
Something everyone Louisiana over to florida needs to keep an eye on for the several days till things get more locked in...

Dolphus Raymond
09-04-2017, 08:07 PM
Will this cold front predicted to push in Tuesday night impact the strength/ direction of this storm? The front appears, at least for early September, to be rather significant.

starkvegasdawg
09-04-2017, 08:16 PM
Will this cold front predicted to push in Tuesday night impact the strength/ direction of this storm? The front appears, at least for early September, to be rather significant.

Typically, fronts and their associated lows will pull a tropical system north, but that's just one of many factors to consider. Sometimes when a hurricane gets this strong they just go where they want to.