PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed.

Drugdog
09-04-2017, 04:18 PM
My dad went to State, my 3 older brothers went to State. All of their wives went to State but one. I went to State. My wife went to State. My niece, 2 nephews, and her husband went to State. I have had 5 English Bulldogs. I am past president of an MSU alumni association. I have been a season ticket holder for many years. Everyone that knows me would agree that I'm passionate about my Bulldogs.

Here is my problem: My daughter wants to go to UNM or Grenada without the lake, to cheer and go to school. She is a top notch cheerleader who will make it and probably get some sort of scholarship. I know I should support my daughter, but I have already been thru 3 bottles of Pepto, prescription of Xanax, and a case of white cans.

Thoughts??

Commercecomet24
09-04-2017, 04:21 PM
My dad went to State, my 3 older brothers went to State. All of their wives went to State but one. I went to State. My wife went to State. My niece, 2 nephews, and her husband went to State. I have had 5 English Bulldogs. I am past president of an MSU alumni association. I have been a season ticket holder for many years. Everyone that knows me would agree that I'm passionate about my Bulldogs.

Here is my problem: My daughter wants to go to UNM or Grenada without the lake, to cheer and go to school. She is a top notch cheerleader who will make it and probably get some sort of scholarship. I know I should support my daughter, but I have already been thru 3 bottles of Pepto, prescription of Xanax, and a case of white cans.

Thoughts??

My condolences!

State82
09-04-2017, 04:23 PM
That's freaking brutal.

jeremyrbrown
09-04-2017, 04:27 PM

Thoughts??

I fear for your soul...

GreenheadDawg
09-04-2017, 04:28 PM
That's heartbreaking but I would have to believe I would support whatever made my kids happy. Although that's about as bad of a decision as she can make. I hope my kids don't put me in that situation. Thankfully I have about 14 years until that time. Father to father, I feel for you buddy

Hot Rock
09-04-2017, 04:30 PM
Those cheer scholarships are about worthless anyway. right!

IMissJack
09-04-2017, 04:30 PM
MSU doesn't have cheerleaders?

Dawgtini
09-04-2017, 04:34 PM
Nope. No boy worth that and will be cheering for a horrible team. Has she looked at bama? #betterthanbears.
BTW -mine chose MC over State and I was still crushed. My family alumni situation is like yours and goes back 4 generations.

Mutt the Hoople
09-04-2017, 04:43 PM
I've seen too many decent boys and girls, once they go to Ole Miss, become psycho druggies, or alcoholics, or embrace an alternative lifestyle.

I'm not talking about the Inbred 5th Generation "How many Acres Does Your Diddy Own In the Delta?" Rebel students....they're bad enough. I'm talking about someone who will totally go against everything you ever raised her to be.

If she goes to Ole Miss, she'll do one of two things- either become a self-absorbed, clothes and status-obsessed Phony Conformist, or a cut-jean-wearing, tatted, pot-smoking Phony Non-Conformist.

RocketDawg
09-04-2017, 04:45 PM
I can understand her not wanting to go to MSU in order to sort of make her own mark ... but going to Oxford is a bit drastic.

Send her to (the real) Harvard or Princeton .... or even Georgia. It's a really nice school, and a lot more beautiful than Oxford.

CadaverDawg
09-04-2017, 04:57 PM

Thoughts??

My advice, you might as well find you a deal on one of these outfits to fit in with the other Ole Miss "guys". Looks like you're screwed. Prayers sent.

http://static.highsnobiety.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/17111756/romper-memes-roundup-00.jpg

Kidding of course. You support her, but not Ole Miss, haha

sandjunky
09-04-2017, 05:02 PM

Thoughts??

So you failed at raising her?!? Just kidding...

I've told my boys from the time they have were born that they can go to any college and I would help with the one exception being OM. It's quite entertaining at Thanksgiving when the Uncles give my oldest (9) a hard time and try to get him to their side. He'll have none of it.

Right now - he says he is going to play for Cannizaro and do engineering (wants to build/own/operate a transformers factory)
UAB is a second (they have a dragon mascot - it's kinda cool)- he says he will buy a house next door while he goes to school
After that its a toss up between LSU/UAt/Auburn

Good luck...im getting sick thinking about that possibility for you

7dawg
09-04-2017, 05:03 PM
You offer other options and go to other schools to visit. You try and get her to like another school if State is not an option. If she chooses Oxford, then you support her.

My wife and I both graduated from State. She graduated from UM law, but bleeds maroon. We are pushing our children to make their own choice (I am actually hoping Vanderbilt to be close or MIT, yes they are much smarter than myself).
If they cheered or played sports at UM, I would support them and wear red and blue to the games. If they just attended UM, I would tease the heck out of them and never wear red and blue.

basedog
09-04-2017, 05:10 PM
Hey, support your daughter. I have a daughter at TSNU, she loves it and I'm certainly happy for her. It was a shock to me when she visited and told me that's where she wanted to go. She ask if I was going to be mad, I told her Msu was my school and she had to decide on her own. Yes we are a house divided but my family comes first and for any of you saying otherwise can just suck it!

HailState!

Dawgowar
09-04-2017, 05:17 PM
I really see few options, these nice people should have a place for her. She makes it through 5 years with them then you can send her to UNM with your head held high....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5JxWMIwuxU

Yes sarcasm - it's her life You just have to pay for it a while longer. Besides, bet she will have some really awesome friends for you to visit in the Grove pre-game! "Dad, this is Buford and Biff, they are Lafeyette's cousins. These are his parents Scooter and Tippy. I can't tell which is which either. "

Bully13
09-04-2017, 05:19 PM
Having a child go turn coat and go to ole miss is like a child saying thanks for the 18 years of sacrifice by kicking you square in the nuts. You musta done something mighty horrible recently.

Cooterpoot
09-04-2017, 05:25 PM
Tell her only whores go there!

Todd4State
09-04-2017, 05:27 PM
Is MSU an option for her to cheer at? I know my brother almost went to Ole Miss but once he saw MSU's engineering program it pretty much blew him away and he went to MSU.

I guess the way I would handle it is to just promote and sell MSU as much as I could and see if MSU could get her a better cheerleading scholarship- not sure how that all works to be honest. I really think MSU sells itself and I just hope it isn't a case of MSU not wanting to give her an opportunity. I've certainly seen that happen in the past to former MSU athlete's children and it's something I wish MSU was more cognizant of and would slightly improve upon across the board.

dawgoneyall
09-04-2017, 05:29 PM

Thoughts??

What would Jack say.

Cooterpoot
09-04-2017, 05:31 PM
Cut off her money

Thick
09-04-2017, 05:42 PM
She can make cheerleader at MSU. Cheerleaders, football players, recruits, recruiting weekends w/benefits.....just saying you and your wife don't want her around that atmosphere, plus she really doesn't look good in those particular colors.

Bigedawg
09-04-2017, 05:43 PM
Nope. I will support my girls in most any decision in life that they make, but that is one decision I would never support. If they want to go to Oxford, they better get a full ride and an expense account from the Network. None of their Daddy's money will ever go to that sham of an institution. End of discussion.

MedDawg
09-04-2017, 05:48 PM
Nope. No boy worth that and will be cheering for a horrible team. Has she looked at bama? #betterthanbears.
BTW -mine chose MC over State and I was still crushed. My family alumni situation is like yours and goes back 4 generations.

When my son was a junior in HS around 2010, I talked to him about going to Bama (it has been tough being a State fan since 1980) and also told him he could go to OM if he had friends who were going there. He chose State. I found out later that he had actually applied to Bama and was accepted.

confucius say
09-04-2017, 05:51 PM
You have two choices.

1. You shame her into going to somwhere else.

2. You compromise. She can go to OM but has to marry a state guy. This happens all the time, including my wife (who grew up in a state family like your daughter). She will be happier and your grandkids will have a chance in hell.

starkvegasdawg
09-04-2017, 05:52 PM
http://i.imgur.com/IOKmDsM.jpg

civildawg
09-04-2017, 05:52 PM
Say you're on your own money wise if you go to ole miss.

Cooterpoot
09-04-2017, 05:56 PM
I'll just tell you how it is with cheering, ball, etc. It's not worth it for girls. Mine turned down three D1 softball offers to go to school where her major is. Don't chase that stuff. And don't follow friends. Cheering won't pay the bills.

Todd4State
09-04-2017, 06:03 PM
And I remember what I was like as a senior in high school- I wanted to go to Tennessee because they were good in football- Peyton was the QB then and we would have been in school at the same time- and I went to church camp every year in the Smokies and I really liked it. I also applied to Alabama- my family is kind of weird because all of my family members either went to MSU or Alabama. And when I say went to Alabama I mean they actually went to school there and got degrees- they're not just "fans who cheer for the football team". But what's weird is there are no Ole Miss alumni or fans in my family.

Among those three and the other option which I didn't want to do- Holmes CC- I chose MSU. I didn't get enough scholarship money to go to UT or Alabama so MSU just made a lot more sense to me plus I loved the baseball program- which was and is better than Alabama or Tennessee's.

All of that is to say much like football recruiting- there is a long way to go and she could very well change her mind between now and then and still go to MSU. I was and still am a huge MSU fan but even I looked at other schools.

Outside Dawg
09-04-2017, 06:05 PM
*downer post*
I don't know the right answer, but from experience...it absolutely sucks in the years post college to have your family split on gameday. We used to all tailgate together and then split due to some family going to OM and it's not been the same. We don't all go the same place on Saturdays any more, and we gave up on tailgating during egg bowls after a few contentious years. I'm sure some families pull it off better than us, but it really just makes me sad to think about what could've been.

Todd4State
09-04-2017, 06:06 PM
I'll just tell you how it is with cheering, ball, etc. It's not worth it for girls. Mine turned down three D1 softball offers to go to school where her major is. Don't chase that stuff. And don't follow friends. Cheering won't pay the bills.

Honestly, I think your best route nowadays to get a full ride is to play football. Baseball- we all know about that. Basketball- only 2-5 sign per class making the odds REALLY slim for anyone. Band- buys books and gets you branded as a nerd the rest of your life. But football has 85 scholarships and there are a lot of skill sets needed for a team so mathematically you have a better chance at a full ride.

Bothrops
09-04-2017, 06:08 PM
LOle Miss won't be having much to cheer for in the coming seasons. Is she sure she wants to go though that?

thedawginme
09-04-2017, 06:11 PM
Thoughts??

Good Sir, this is a time for prudence and sensibility. Consider this ancient wisdom:

"If you love something set it free. If it comes back - it's yours. If not, it was never meant to be. If it goes to Ole Miss, you must disown thee".

Bully13
09-04-2017, 06:14 PM
Have you point blank asked her why she wants to go to shitbird U? I may be able to deal with it somewhat if she was a daughter who cared less about football but if it was my son whom I've been taking to MSU games for a decade and he pulled that shit I'd take his ass out behind the barn and make him wish he'd never been born.

DogsofAnarchy
09-04-2017, 06:15 PM

Thoughts??

Let her go.....she will come home. No doubt.

RocketDawg
09-04-2017, 06:16 PM
Honestly, I think your best route nowadays to get a full ride is to play football. Baseball- we all know about that. Basketball- only 2-5 sign per class making the odds REALLY slim for anyone. Band- buys books and gets you branded as a nerd the rest of your life. But football has 85 scholarships and there are a lot of skill sets needed for a team so mathematically you have a better chance at a full ride.

All this presupposes that you have a bit of athletic ability. :)

Howboutdemdogs
09-04-2017, 06:36 PM
One of my 3 went to USM ( Mustard Birds) and the rest went MSU. He had a full ride, so I could not bitch. He still a bulldog at heart. I just had to endure and support. Even bought a tent and chairs for tailgating. The agony, but he is my son.

Drugdog
09-04-2017, 06:58 PM
Thank you for all the advice. Really appreciate it. Great group of folks on this site. Will keep you updated.
Until then

HailState.

dawgoneyall
09-04-2017, 07:04 PM
Is she afraid of large crowds.

Is so....I understand.

TimberBeast
09-04-2017, 07:04 PM
Just ask her if she likes to watch football or not. One is going to be playing fun, competitive football while she's there, the other one will not.

bostondawg
09-04-2017, 07:05 PM
My honest opinion, what does she want to major in? Go to the US News college rankings for that department (i.e., google "US news rankings biology"). There are many programs that MSU flat out doesn't offer that TSUN might, unfortunately. Flip side, many programs that MSU has that are way better than TSUN. Anything in the sciences/engineering fields, she's almost guaranteed to be better at MSU. And if she chooses something that is better at TSUN, take her to visit schools that are better than TSUN in the same fields. My condo lenses on a tough decision.

bostondawg
09-04-2017, 07:10 PM
You offer other options and go to other schools to visit. You try and get her to like another school if State is not an option. If she chooses Oxford, then you support her.

My wife and I both graduated from State. She graduated from UM law, but bleeds maroon. We are pushing our children to make their own choice (I am actually hoping Vanderbilt to be close or MIT, yes they are much smarter than myself).
If they cheered or played sports at UM, I would support them and wear red and blue to the games. If they just attended UM, I would tease the heck out of them and never wear red and blue.

If your kid chooses MIT, let me know. I know a good bit about the school. Lots of great bulldogs in the Boston area, and I always love to meet them. Hell, come visit for a fall weekend with the alumni up here!

smootness
09-04-2017, 07:14 PM
You let her go and keep rooting for State because college sports aren't that serious?

Dawgology
09-04-2017, 07:15 PM
Have you asked her WHY? What is it (amongst every other school in the nation) that would cause her to choose UNM?

Bully13
09-04-2017, 07:16 PM
Thank you for all the advice. Really appreciate it. Great group of folks on this site. Will keep you updated.
Until then

HailState.

Best of luck. If you would be so inclined to let us know why she's going there, maybe we could give better advice. Hope all works out best for all.

hailmari
09-04-2017, 07:18 PM
Both of my parents are OM grads, while my oldest brother and I are State grads and die hard fans. My other brother went to USM. Sister went to the W.

Four children and not a single one followed in their footsteps.

Dawgface
09-04-2017, 07:22 PM
Tell her she's out of the Will. But wish her the best.

GreenheadDawg
09-04-2017, 07:24 PM
You let her go and keep rooting for State because college sports aren't that serious?

I know you always have the high and mighty answer for everything but maybe it has nothing to do with sports and everything to do with the atmosphere and culture there.

Jarius
09-04-2017, 07:25 PM
You tell her that you support her decision to be an adult and go where she wants. Then you tell her that she needs to be responsible with the student loans that she is going to have to pull out to cover for the money she will not be receiving from you to pay for her expenses not covered in her scholarship.

Thoughts??

Mutt the Hoople
09-04-2017, 07:28 PM
Both of my parents are OM grads, while my oldest brother and I are State grads and die hard fans. My other brother went to USM. Sister went to the W.

Four children and not a single one followed in their footsteps.
I graduated from State, my wife from USM. My two oldest are currently going to Belhaven and MUW. My two youngest love Texas and won't go to a Mississippi school.

TUSK
09-04-2017, 07:34 PM
Bribe her...

bulldogcountry1
09-04-2017, 08:33 PM
I would respect her right to choose, but she better be prepared to go without any financial help from me.

Todd4State
09-04-2017, 08:39 PM
I would respect her right to choose, but she better be prepared to go without any financial help from me.

That was the case with me had I chosen to go to Ole Miss or LSU. It was mainly because my parents thought that they were party schools.

parabrave
09-04-2017, 08:45 PM

Thoughts??

Well like my Bro-in-laws dad, a cigar boy, told his sister when she went to OM. Have a good time but the check is going to State. And it did. This was back in the early 70's and he did.

Jack Lambert
09-04-2017, 08:46 PM
Just be happy she is going to college but I wouldn't buy season tickets and tail gate. I would let her know that.

Dawgtini
09-04-2017, 09:06 PM
Say you're on your own money wise if you go to ole miss.
This. I told mine Med center would be the only avenue that TSUN would see any of my $$.

Bucky Dog
09-04-2017, 09:06 PM

Thoughts??

Can I ask if she goes to Jackson Academy? I've heard too many stories like yours where the kids that are State legacies get brainwashed by all things OM at that school. Many times the kids go to OM because of their friends.

I'm with others by saying she can get a cheer scholarship at State and as her parent I really would tell her the concerns you have of her going to OM. The party atmosphere and the arrogance and overinflated sense of self worth. It's trouble in the making in so many ways. Get her on campus as. Any times as you can this fall!!

Dawgpile
09-04-2017, 09:19 PM
I've seen too many decent boys and girls, once they go to Ole Miss, become psycho druggies, or alcoholics, or embrace an alternative lifestyle.

I'm 4 gens on my Dad's side, 3 on Mom's. We've had 3 black sheep of the family go to UMiss in the last century.

My uncle, a fine artist. Oozes the elitist attitude, even with family. Lost all his OM juice when Khyatt resigned. The family hardly speaks to him.

My sister, English major, semi-functional alcoholic. Currently between husbands and teaching jobs. She's "persona non grata" with most of us.

Baby sister wanted to study medicine and went to UMMC after State. Her indirect exposure to the strain has put her on a 'couch-trip' and she's blaming all of us for her issues.

...Sorry about the OP's daughter.

Drugdog
09-04-2017, 09:38 PM
Can I ask if she goes to Jackson Academy? I've heard too many stories like yours where the kids that are State legacies get brainwashed by all things OM at that school. Many times the kids go to OM because of their friends.

I'm with others by saying she can get a cheer scholarship at State and as her parent I really would tell her the concerns you have of her going to OM. The party atmosphere and the arrogance and overinflated sense of self worth. It's trouble in the making in so many ways. Get her on campus as. Any times as you can this fall!!

MC. I have voiced my concern. I have college paid for thru MPpact. Not a concern.
I will not be going to any games. The wife will do that. You can catch me solo at the Junction.

LADawg
09-04-2017, 09:43 PM
This. I told mine Med center would be the only avenue that TSUN would see any of my $$.

I'm sitting in my living room with two of my own and I want to thank you for reminding me to let them know for the 10th time that I love and support them; however if they choose to go to UM they are on their own. That stance is only for Oxford but my coin isn't going there. Not today, tomorrow or ever.

Thanks again.

Todd4State
09-04-2017, 09:50 PM
MC. I have voiced my concern. I have college paid for thru MPpact. Not a concern.
I will not be going to any games. The wife will do that. You can catch me solo at the Junction.

MC is weird in that they have State cycles and Ole Miss cycles. Or as we call them "State Classes" and "Ole Miss Classes".

SPMT
09-04-2017, 10:17 PM
Are you serious....?

It's college, at the end of the day who gives a 17?!

College is largely a waste of money, regardless of where you go. It's 4-5 years out of her and your life. Get a grip.

Cooterpoot
09-04-2017, 10:27 PM
^^ This is what happens when you go to OM. You think it's a waste of money.

BeardoMSU
09-04-2017, 10:40 PM
College is largely a waste of money, regardless of where you go.

Incorrect.

1bigdawg
09-04-2017, 11:34 PM
I have a friend who told his son he would pay his way to any place but Ole Miss (even though he is a Wisconsin graduate!). Of course, his son goes to Ole Miss. 12 years later, his UNM graduate son is still in a minimum wage job and blaming his Dad for not giving him more money.

I wish you the best of luck, but work to keep those you cherish from bad choices.

Johnson85
09-05-2017, 06:04 AM

I'm guessing you haven't spent that much time in Oxford? Especially around the girls? Plenty of great people come out of ole miss and state, so it's not the end of the world, but I would have serious concerns about sending my child to Oxford, especially a girl, and it has nothing to do with sports. There are plenty of things that can go wrong in life; why increase the odds?

GreenheadDawg
09-05-2017, 07:04 AM
Are you serious....?

It's college, at the end of the day who gives a 17?!

College is largely a waste of money, regardless of where you go. It's 4-5 years out of her and your life. Get a grip.

You probably need to sit the next few plays out.

smootness
09-05-2017, 07:58 AM
I know you always have the high and mighty answer for everything but maybe it has nothing to do with sports and everything to do with the atmosphere and culture there.

If that's it, then that's more than a fair thing to consider when assessing it. But I based my assumption that it's primarily about sports on the fact that he listed all the people in his family who went to State. It didn't seem to be based on concern for her, it seemed to be based on the simple reason that he doesn't like the idea that someone in his family would go to Ole Miss.

Political Hack
09-05-2017, 08:07 AM
My kids can go anywhere they want with the understanding that not a dime of my money will ever be sent to Oxford, MS.

MagicDawg
09-05-2017, 08:38 AM
My wife and I graduated from State. We live near Atlanta but took our daughter to visit State. She also asked to visit OM. She had high grades and a 30 ACT. We scheduled visits. Got to OM campus around 9am and walked around. No State clothing, of course. Daughter observed that very few students seemed to be awake. Went to the office to sign in. Got the sales spiel. Student tour guides took us around. Daughter observed very little welcoming attitude from students we encountered. Took a lunch break, went to the Square.

"Sweetheart, if you decide to go here I'll do that best I can to be supportive. Wherever you go, I want you to embrace the experience because beyond academics, the culture of your undergraduate institution will play a large part in making you who you will be for the rest of your life. Just consider that."
"Dad, this place doesn't feel right at all. Most of the students we've met this morning seemed stuck up and thought they were too good to talk to us. And that's just the ones who were able to get up before noon."
"You have two scheduled meetings with professors this afternoon."
"Let's just eat lunch and go on down to Starkville. I've seen enough."

Drove out of Oxford for hopefully the last time in my life. Went straight to Starkville. Had a vastly different experience in visiting State the next day. Friendly, welcoming, family. Great visit. My wife and I consciously avoided scale-tipping at both places.

Daughter ended up at Georgia Southern for scholarship reasons, but she cheers for State in the SEC. Looking at State for grad school. Fingers crossed.

The difference between State and OM is obvious when given a fair comparison. Good luck.

KentuckyDawg13
09-05-2017, 09:35 AM
We have a similar situation, but not quite as bad.

My son is being recruited by LSU and plans to do an official visit there soon. LSU has been one of the top 3 most hated teams in my household, and he knows this as he is an MSU fan. Unfortunately, MSU does not offer swimming scholarships since there is no swim team @ State. One of two schools (guess the other) that does not provide for swimmers in the SEC, which has quite a few ranked teams.

Speak freely with your daughter and share your concerns/opinions. However, allow her to make her choice. It is difficult, but it is the beginning of adulthood.

Good luck.

Maroon Blood
09-05-2017, 09:37 AM
Hey, support your daughter. I have a daughter at TSNU, she loves it and I'm certainly happy for her. It was a shock to me when she visited and told me that's where she wanted to go. She ask if I was going to be mad, I told her Msu was my school and she had to decide on her own. Yes we are a house divided but my family comes first and for any of you saying otherwise can just suck it!

HailState!

^^^This^^^

Dawg61
09-05-2017, 09:48 AM
Not reading this whole thread. 1. Get in touch with the MSU cheer squad and get her a spot but don't tell her you did that. 2. Buy her a Land Rover if she'll go to MSU instead of Cocaine College. Good luck bud

gtowndawg
09-05-2017, 09:49 AM
5 words of advice. DO NOT SEEK THE TREASURE!

https://oneragamuffin.files.wordpress.com/2015/06/do-not-seek-the-treasure-o.gif

Cooterpoot
09-05-2017, 10:23 AM
Tell her there's no waaayyyyy, she came from your loins. When you get home, punch her momma in the mouth.

Dawgtini
09-05-2017, 01:55 PM
The way I look at it is the WORLD is a very large place, and my exclusion of TSUN (other than Med Center) is a very tiny thing to overlook if they want my financial assistance. I will still love and support them, but will not directly financially support them. Life is FULL of choices.

RougeDawg
09-05-2017, 02:04 PM
The way I look at it is the WORLD is a very large place, and my exclusion of TSUN (other than Med Center) is a very tiny thing to overlook if they want my financial assistance. I will still love and support them, but will not directly financially support them. Life is FULL of choices.

This all day. Life is full of difficult choices. Sending the check to Starkville and letting her make the choice will pay many dividends by the time she's 30-35.

Dawg61
09-05-2017, 02:55 PM
Explain your situation and I bet she gets a spot on MSU's cheer squad. If she can make the OM cheer squad she can make the MSU one and that's no disrespect towards MSU.

ETDawg
09-05-2017, 03:26 PM
Support her fully in whatever college she chooses. End of story!!!

HaggardDawg
09-05-2017, 04:37 PM

I'm not talking about the Inbred 5th Generation "How many Acres Does Your Diddy Own In the Delta?" Rebel students....they're bad enough. I'm talking about someone who will totally go against everything you ever raised her to be.

If she goes to Ole Miss, she'll do one of two things- either become a self-absorbed, clothes and status-obsessed Phony Conformist, or a cut-jean-wearing, tatted, pot-smoking Phony Non-Conformist.

This is about the best way i've ever heard OM students described. Perfect and true.

Johnson85
09-05-2017, 04:54 PM
Support her fully in whatever college she chooses. End of story!!!

This is just crazy unless you are rich enough for it to not matter. My kids can go wherever they want, but if they want me to help, they can go to a state school other than Ole Miss, they can go to any school that they get enough aid to be essentially the same cost as a state school, or they can go MIT, Harvard, Yale, or Princeton.

Supporting kids in whatever college they choose is how you get people going $60k in debt to get an undergrad degree from a school like vanderbilt, or even worse, Milsaps or taking on $25k in debt to go to say Auburn when they could go to an instate school for free.

Reunion Dog
09-05-2017, 05:00 PM
We had an Athletic Director that was a male cheerleader at a private high school. Can't be more embarrassing than that....

sleepy dawg
09-05-2017, 08:00 PM
I'm so sorry man. I can't even imagine how this must feel.

Let's forget about how we got to this point though. The fact is, you're here and now you have to figure out how to solve this problem without destroying your relationship with your daughter. Granted if she's paying for everything, then she can do whatever the hell she wants and that's pretty much the end of it. If you're helping support her, then you still have a foot in the door.

I don't think the answer is as extreme as saying you won't support her going to ole miss but you will anywhere else. If that line of thought wasn't established since she was a child, it's too late for that now and you will negatively affect your relationship.

Here's how I would try to go about it...

Don't discourage or talk negative about Ole Miss anymore than you would've before all this. You don't want to push her away. This is a time to bring her in closer.

Figure out her second choice and try to start playing it up as much as possible without seeming obvious. If you're good, you can figure out some great tie she would have there that she wouldn't have at Ole Miss and sell it. You will want to do research on this school, even if its Mississippi State because there may be things she's interested in, that you would have no idea about otherwise.

If all else fails, say you have a friend in Oxford that you can stay at so you'll be able to come up to Oxford all the time and visit and hang out with her friends. If she's like most other teenage girls, that'll pretty much put an end to it.

The Federalist Engineer
09-05-2017, 08:23 PM

Thoughts??

Your still a great MSU family....on the bright side you raised a collegian with a scholarship

Turfdawg67
09-06-2017, 09:59 AM
I told my kids... You can go anywhere you'd like, but I'm only paying for Mississippi State.