PDA

View Full Version : "Thanks for the Check"

TaleofTwoDogs
09-04-2017, 09:37 AM
After watching the game it got me thinking that these guys (CSU) got skull 17ed strictly for the money. The question: Is the physical and emotional impact of the beating taken yesterday worth it for the school's program in exchange for the cash? Normally, if I was the AD of the FCS school I would take my chances but yesterday was such a real beat down that I may have to rethink my future scheduling of P5 teams. What say you?

confucius say
09-04-2017, 09:38 AM
Yes. They play two of those and it floats their program for the year.

Mimi's Babies
09-04-2017, 10:43 AM
The can use the game as a teaching tool, if presented correctly.

Jack Lambert
09-04-2017, 10:44 AM
They took a thumping form Bama two years ago. They are going to do what they do to keep program running.

ILOATHEBears
09-04-2017, 12:13 PM
After watching the game it got me thinking that these guys (CSU) got skull 17ed strictly for the money. The question: Is the physical and emotional impact of the beating taken yesterday worth it for the school's program in exchange for the cash? Normally, if I was the AD of the FCS school I would take my chances but yesterday was such a real beat down that I may have to rethink my future scheduling of P5 teams. What say you?

Their coach said our line looked like kitchen appliances. Priceless...

curmudgeon
09-04-2017, 12:33 PM
CSU is almost a carbon copy of Mississippi College. Baptist school, attracts the same type of students, has the same academic profile.

The difference is that they made the decision to go FCS, and MC is still working their way up. What we know as Division II is on shaky ground. Schools are going to either have to FCS or non-scholarship level (Division III).

Political Hack
09-04-2017, 12:35 PM
Their new weight room should help better prepare them for the future.

Leroy Jenkins
09-04-2017, 12:51 PM
I thought this was going to be a Sumlin thread when I saw the headline.

Maroonthirteen
09-04-2017, 12:56 PM
I image their players enjoy playing in front of a large crowd. I imagine they enjoy sizing themselves up to sec competition....at least for a quarter.

Only plus for the players that I can come up with... its all the about the money for sure.

Todd4State
09-04-2017, 12:59 PM
I am the weird fan that enjoys it when we play a FCS team. I think it's neat to see a team we don't know much about and I know that they appreciate the opportunity to play a SEC team. The only thing I would change is I would prefer that we play one of the three in state SWAC teams but I liked playing Samford last year and I would like to maybe see The Citadel.

I like the fact that usually we get to play a lot of guys and even the walk-ons sometimes. I think there is value in us running plays against lesser competition for one game a year to perfect things and also try some different things as well.

RocketDawg
09-04-2017, 01:25 PM
I am the weird fan that enjoys it when we play a FCS team. I think it's neat to see a team we don't know much about and I know that they appreciate the opportunity to play a SEC team. The only thing I would change is I would prefer that we play one of the three in state SWAC teams but I liked playing Samford last year and I would like to maybe see The Citadel.

I like the fact that usually we get to play a lot of guys and even the walk-ons sometimes. I think there is value in us running plays against lesser competition for one game a year to perfect things and also try some different things as well.

We should schedule North Dakota State. Or maybe Western (or is it Central?) Michigan. Those are two pretty good FCS teams.

Drugs Delaney
09-04-2017, 01:38 PM
I thought this was going to be a Sumlin thread when I saw the headline.

I thought about Tulane '06

BulldogDX55
09-04-2017, 01:43 PM
We should schedule North Dakota State. Or maybe Western (or is it Central?) Michigan. Those are two pretty good FCS teams.

Western Mich and Central Mich are both FBS schools in the MAC.

Dental Dawg33
09-04-2017, 02:02 PM
The money they receive funds not only their football program but a lot of their athletic budget. And every now and then you get a Liberty/Baylor season wrecker. The kids I'm sure enjoy the big stage game

TheRef
09-04-2017, 02:07 PM
You get a Liberty or even a Howard (44-point underdog gets the upset). The reward of possibly getting the biggest upset win in history is well worth the play experience.

BigEasyDawg
09-04-2017, 04:34 PM
Does anyone know how much exactly we paid them?

HereComesTheSpiral
09-04-2017, 06:23 PM
The money they receive funds not only their football program but a lot of their athletic budget. And every now and then you get a Liberty/Baylor season wrecker. The kids I'm sure enjoy the big stage game

I doubt their starting QB agrees with this morning.

thf24
09-04-2017, 06:27 PM
I doubt their starting QB agrees with this morning.

Or their backup. Seemed to me like the beating he took was even worse.

Reason2succeed
09-04-2017, 06:49 PM

I agree with playing the SWAC teams in state and neighboring states. They bring good bands and actually have traveling fanbases that will buy some of the tickets. It's a win win imo.

Commercecomet24
09-04-2017, 06:52 PM
I agree with playing the SWAC teams in state and neighboring states. They bring good bands and actually have traveling fanbases that will buy some of the tickets. It's a win win imo.

This is true. They bring folks. Heck the only time usm has a sellout is when they play us or one of the in state swac schools

Todd4State
09-04-2017, 07:48 PM

This is true. And I would be fine with Southern or Grambling coming to MSU. Jackson State and Alcorn definitely bring good crowds to Starkville. I think Charleston Southern brought more football players than they did fans.

RocketDawg
09-04-2017, 08:22 PM
This is true. And I would be fine with Southern or Grambling coming to MSU. Jackson State and Alcorn definitely bring good crowds to Starkville. I think Charleston Southern brought more football players than they did fans.

It's a very small school, and I doubt football is one of their top priorities.

iPat09
09-05-2017, 11:29 AM

I will never understand why people think those bands are any good. Give me corps style marching with musicality over park and bark any day.

thf24
09-05-2017, 11:33 AM
I will never understand why people think those bands are any good. Give me corps style marching with musicality over park and bark any day.

I'm right there with you. However, I've come to realize that it's a battle we're never going to win. Those bands come off as more entertaining to spectators who aren't musically-inclined, which are the vast majority of college football game attendees.

Todd4State
09-05-2017, 11:58 AM
I'm right there with you. However, I've come to realize that it's a battle we're never going to win. Those bands come off as more entertaining to spectators who aren't musically-inclined, which are the vast majority of college football game attendees.

I actually don't think it's that. I think it's the SWAC teams and HBCU hype their bands up so much and talk them up that you hear the noise from their fans. Band is crazy at HBCU's. Their fans actually go to the games and watch the band and then a lot of them leave after halftime. They have these huge band contests and I've heard of people getting into fistfights at some of those things. I've also heard of some of the bands getting into fights with each other.

SEC band just isn't like that. You play the fight song and watch the game. Go to bowls and get money and travel around watching the team. SEC fans don't care that much- which is OK.

DCI is the best without question but not very many colleges can do stuff like that.

thf24
09-05-2017, 12:23 PM
I actually don't think it's that. I think it's the SWAC teams and HBCU hype their bands up so much and talk them up that you hear the noise from their fans. Band is crazy at HBCU's. Their fans actually go to the games and watch the band and then a lot of them leave after halftime. They have these huge band contests and I've heard of people getting into fistfights at some of those things. I've also heard of some of the bands getting into fights with each other.

SEC band just isn't like that. You play the fight song and watch the game. Go to bowls and get money and travel around watching the team. SEC fans don't care that much- which is OK.

DCI is the best without question but not very many colleges can do stuff like that.

That's more or less what I'm saying. In every aspect, they prioritize raw entertainment and effect. Power of suggestion has a lot to do with it as you said. It's a great product from an overall effect standpoint, but it doesn't take anyone musically knowledgeable long to figure out they're not very good in terms of quality. Another thing I've come to realize is that there's no reason to say that's wrong, since general entertainment is the ultimate goal of a college marching band anyway.

MagicDawg
09-05-2017, 01:48 PM
Is the correct protocol simply to leave the opposing AD his money on the dresser in the locker room? We could check with Hugh...

BB30
09-05-2017, 01:56 PM

I disagree, if we are going to play FCS schools which I have zero problem with we need to continue to play the types of teams we have. I don't want our starters to have to play any longer than needed in a game that doesn't mean anything. Last thing we need is a first team guy getting hurt against North Dakota State because the score was 35-17 going into the 4th qtr and we had to leave the starters in an extra series or two.

Howboutdemdogs
09-05-2017, 03:31 PM
"Mo Money, Mo Money, Mo Money"