PDA

View Full Version : who get fired first???

House33
09-04-2017, 07:27 AM
Sumlin or McElwain?

Both fan bases are so crazy I think it will turn into a bidding war for Chip Kelly.......

BulldogBear
09-04-2017, 07:41 AM
Sumlin for sure

Leeshouldveflanked
09-04-2017, 07:45 AM
Sumlin....The Cheerleader isn't going to fire The Shark Jumper

Dawgcentral
09-04-2017, 08:08 AM
Sumlin to OM. You heard it here first.

Dawgowar
09-04-2017, 08:10 AM

Recruits well, doesn't do shit with it - fits UNM's tradition to a T

Coackjek
09-04-2017, 08:11 AM
I think Sumlin goes first. I really didn't understand the hire in the first place. Manziel secured his job at A&M for several years longer than he should have been there.

Quaoarsking
09-04-2017, 08:30 AM
Butch Jones after losing to Florida later this month

WSOPdawg
09-04-2017, 09:51 AM
Sumlin may not make the next aTm football game.

parabrave
09-04-2017, 09:55 AM
I wonder what the chokers buyout contract is? They might keep him there just to whittle that down a bit.

gravedigger
09-04-2017, 10:10 AM
I think Sumlin goes first. I really didn't understand the hire in the first place. Manziel secured his job at A&M for several years longer than he should have been there.

You don't understand the hire? He had Houston producing offense like no other.

Seems all too convenient now to say this.

dawgoneyall
09-04-2017, 10:16 AM

Heard he would fit right in in the grove.

HSVDawg
09-04-2017, 10:19 AM

Don't see it. Although that would be awesome for us for them to hire a terrible coach. Long term, Hopson at USM I think will be the guy. But I don't know if he wants to be the guy to guide them through probation before being inevitably fired due to lack of on field performance. I think Luke actually has a shot at that title. Hopson will be the best they can get after sanctions come down, and he is a good coach. He also was recruited and played there in the late 80's and early 90's under Brewer, so to say he is familiar with how to navigate the waters down there would be an understatement. I'm not sure if he wants to go that particular route in terms of recruiting, though.

Lumpy Chucklelips
09-04-2017, 10:39 AM
I know my post is going to go over like a lead balloon, but here goes anyway. There seemed to be an unwritten, or maybe it was written in sand during Slive's tenure, that sec teams couldn't poach from other sec teams.

Do you think that still holds true today?

I'm 100% behind Mullen. Was, even when the board was split in the past. I've been following MSU since Tyler was coach, so I feel I've seen enough coaches come and go to formulate an opinion based on a broad history of performance. Mullen, by far, is the most complete coach that we have ever had. Here's a hint on a simple way to tell if we have a good coach or not....take a look at how much OM hates him. That will usually tell you all you need to know.

Back to my point. At some point, if there is no agreement on poaching coaches, we are going to have to fight to keep our coach from other sec teams. I'm not so worried about out of conference teams because we have passed the point on salary that 80-90% are willing to pony up. There are still a few that would try to match or raise the ante. But in the sec, those particular schools you are talking about...A&M, Tenn, and Fla, have the money to outreach what we can pay. And don't think if they are desperate enough, and if Sankey looked the other way, that they wouldn't come calling.

I love my MSU, but I'm also realistic. The three schools listed would be tremendously easier to recruit to than MSU. Look at them now. You have 3 boneheaded coaches, but if you look at their recruiting rankings, you're probably going to see 3 teams in the top 10. Imagine that talent with a great coach.

Dan Mullen is human. And any human in their right mind at some point is going to imagine what it would be like to coach top 10 talent.

The more success we have, and it feels like we're on the verge of taking that next step, the more wolves we're going to have to fight off. How close are those wolves to our house?

Jack Lambert
09-04-2017, 10:41 AM
The question is and it should be Vbookie bet will sumlin be coaching when State rolls into College Station.

Jack Lambert
09-04-2017, 10:43 AM
I know my post is going to go over like a lead balloon, but here goes anyway. There seemed to be an unwritten, or maybe it was written in sand during Slive's tenure, that sec teams couldn't poach from other sec teams.

I'm 100% behind Mullen. Was, even when the board was split in the past. I've been following MSU since Tyler was coach, so I feel I've seen enough coaches come and go to formulate an opinion based on a broad history of performance. Mullen, by far, is the most complete coach that we have ever had. Here's a hint on a simple way to tell if we have a good coach or not....take a look at how much OM hates him. That will usually tell you all you need to know.

Back to my point. At some point, if there is no agreement on poaching coaches, we are going to have to fight to keep our coach from other sec teams. I'm not so worried about out of conference teams because we have passed the point on salary that 80-90% are willing to pony up. There are still a few that would try to match or raise the ante. But in the sec, those particular schools you are talking about...A&M, Tenn, and Fla, have the money to outreach what we can pay. And don't think if they are desperate enough, and if Sankey looked the other way, that they wouldn't come calling.

I love my MSU, but I'm also realistic. The three schools listed would be tremendously easier to recruit to than MSU. Look at them now. You have 3 boneheaded coaches, but if you look at their recruiting rankings, you're probably going to see 3 teams in the top 10. Imagine that talent with a great coach.

Dan Mullen is human. And any human in their right mind at some point is going to imagine what it would be like to coach top 10 talent.

The more success we have, and it feels like we're on the verge of taking that next step, the more wolves we're going to have to fight off. How close are those wolves to our house?

Mullen is going to get a offer one day. I hope it is Florida if it's an SEC school.

ShotgunDawg
09-04-2017, 10:43 AM
Would Scott Stricklin go down as the worst MSU alum of all time if he fired McElwain & tried to hire Mullen?

rbdog82
09-04-2017, 10:44 AM
Would Scott Stricklin go down as the worst MSU alum of all time if he fired McElwain & tried to hire Mullen?

This has zero chance of happening.

preachermatt83
09-04-2017, 11:07 AM
Slive rule is very much still in affect.

Quaoarsking
09-04-2017, 11:18 AM

I doubt Texas A&M, Tennessee, Florida, etc., will pay the $5 million that they'd need to pry Dan Mullen away from us. While they obviously could afford it, they can hire another good coach for considerably less money, or if they do decide to pay that much, they're going to want to make a splash hire like Chip Kelly.

We've effectively boxed anyone out of poaching Mullen away from us.

1bigdawg
09-04-2017, 11:19 AM
Mullen has a chance to be our Bowden if things keep moving the way it looks.

I believe we will have a good (8-9) win season this year AND we return almost everybody. Next year could be a next level year both on the field and in recruiting. That could set us up for a great future.

Mullen isn't going anywhere in the conference because of the Slive rule. Other conferences don't pay. Why leave to go somewhere that your every move will be questioned again.

Barkman Turner Overdrive
09-04-2017, 11:22 AM

So I guess that means Dan is as good as gone.***

DownwardDawg
09-04-2017, 11:36 AM
You don't understand the hire? He had Houston producing offense like no other.

Seems all too convenient now to say this.

Some of us said it from day one. I used to post about it on 24/7 site. I was never sold on Sumlin.

ShotgunDawg
09-04-2017, 11:37 AM

I'm not sure about that. I get the hopeful thinking, but, after the SEC losing coaches like James Franklin due to that rule, I'm not sure how stringent they will be with it.

At some point, the SEC has to ask, "Is it better for coaches to switch schools within the conference or just leave the conference?"

Jack Lambert
09-04-2017, 12:04 PM

I believe we will have a good (8-9) win season this year AND we return almost everybody. Next year could be a next level year both on the field and in recruiting. That could set us up for a great future.

Mullen isn't going anywhere in the conference because of the Slive rule. Other conferences don't pay. Why leave to go somewhere that your every move will be questioned again.

He's going to have to take advantage of Ole Miss being down. You know they are still going to cheat.

HSVDawg
09-04-2017, 12:15 PM

Just like it was in effect when we hired Cohen from Kentucky while Slive was commissioner.

There is no Slive rule. Period. Schools can hire who they want. Nobody has to call the conference office before extending a job offer.

BulldogBear
09-04-2017, 12:43 PM
I'm not sure about that. I get the hopeful thinking, but, after the SEC losing coaches like James Franklin due to that rule, I'm not sure how stringent they will be with it.

At some point, the SEC has to ask, "Is it better for coaches to switch schools within the conference or just leave the conference?"

Which SEC schools were wanting to hire Franklin?

Just like it was in effect when we hired Cohen from Kentucky while Slive was commissioner.

There is no Slive rule. Period. Schools can hire who they want. Nobody has to call the conference office before extending a job offer.

It IS a little different in that Cohen was coming home to his Alma Mater. This was why it wasnt considered as cannibalistic as it would have been if it was just some schmo in a flatbill.

Find another case in the big 3 sports.

Some of us said it from day one. I used to post about it on 24/7 site. I was never sold on Sumlin.

But is Sumlin really the problem or just a small cog in it? I think the football culture of the State of Texas from middle school up through college is tainted with offensive focus. In HS they just generally put the best athletes on offense. This leads to inflated recruiting rankings with this flashy offenses going up against those defenses that might as well be a few scarecrows in school colors posted up in random spots on the field. In turn, if a defensive player shows any kind of ability at all he looks like a worldbeater. SOME Aggies are starting to get it, but it is still a Big 12 culture. If my opponent is scoring 40pts I gotta figure how to score more points....rather than stop them.

Saltydog
09-04-2017, 01:26 PM
heard less and less of that recently. Still stupid to hire someone so entangled in that b.s. and who is literally part of the system. That should tell you all you need to know about how sincere they are to clean up that mess.

bostondawg
09-04-2017, 01:30 PM
heard less and less of that recently. Still stupid to hire someone so entangled in that b.s. and who is literally part of the system. That should tell you all you need to know about how sincere they are to clean up that mess.

I actually interpret that to mean he won't get a show cause. They obviously could have promoted someone internally who wasn't named in the NOA. And I could be wrong here, but were his offenses in the NOA that bad? I think you're definitely right that they aren't sincere about trying to clean up the system. But I think the NCAA has already crucified Hugh. They'll give him a show cause and move on. Besides: Luke isn't their coach of the future anyway. He'll do the head coach thing for enough years to get them through the sanctions until they can hire someone better. It'll be in 2023 that they're finding a new coach, and secretly trying to find one that'll be the bottom for the Netwerk.

parabrave
09-04-2017, 01:35 PM

more like our Jeff Bower.

Mimi's Babies
09-04-2017, 01:47 PM

IF he doesn't get a show cause... I will be writting a LONG letter to explain his willingness to commit a long list of NCAA "oh no you didn'ts"..... There are many in this town that knows way too much on him....

TUSK
09-04-2017, 02:11 PM
I don't know about the validity of or the "teeth" in this "Slive Rule"...

But I do know this: If McElwain, or Smart, etc get their programs rolling and Nationally Relevant over the next 5+ years, and Saban were to retire, the Commish would help em pack.

fader2103
09-04-2017, 02:28 PM
I think if Mullen Is here after signing day, he will stick around for atleast 3 more years.