PDA

View Full Version : Hot Seat Rankings. Guess Who's Numero Uno?

Indndawg
09-04-2017, 06:43 AM
http://www.coacheshotseat.com/CoachesHotSeatRanking.htm

Dawgface
09-04-2017, 06:47 AM
You can stick a fork in KS. Last night sealed his fate.

BHildreth3
09-04-2017, 07:09 AM
I hate this, because Dan will be high on their list.

BulldogBear
09-04-2017, 07:46 AM

We should be immune to that thought by now.

TrapGame
09-04-2017, 07:53 AM

Dan ain't going nowhere. He's about to hit his stride at MSU.

Hasu Dackds
09-04-2017, 07:53 AM
Do you think they'd be willing to pay the money necessary? I always heard the schools that he really would leave for (w/o big money) were Georgia, Notre Dame and Penn State.

Dawgcentral
09-04-2017, 08:05 AM
I just read somewhere that if A&M would have coughed up 7M a year, Jimbo Fischer would be there now. It's not like they don't have that $.

Dawg61
09-04-2017, 08:23 AM

No poaching rule in the SEC for head coaches. Name the last currently hired SEC coach to be poached away by another SEC school? I'll wait.

IMissJack
09-04-2017, 08:27 AM
Do you think they'd be willing to pay the money necessary? I always heard the schools that he really would leave for (w/o big money) were Georgia, Notre Dame and Penn State.

Um, they just spent north of $500M on the football facility. Yes.

Reason2succeed
09-04-2017, 08:39 AM
No poaching rule in the SEC for head coaches. Name the last currently hired SEC coach to be poached away by another SEC school? I'll wait.

The answer is Tommy Tuberville and yes that's been a long time. A coach being poached by another SEC school is less likely than a death penalty being dropped on OM.

Dawgology
09-04-2017, 09:32 AM

No, he won't. Go back to Nafoom.

Seriously, Enforcer needs to do some work.

HSVDawg
09-04-2017, 09:40 AM
The answer is Tommy Tuberville and yes that's been a long time. A coach being poached by another SEC school is less likely than a death penalty being dropped on OM.

That's not even close to to the last time. Ever heard of John Cohen? Also, Tubby Smith bolted from UGA to UK since Tuberville left OM. Could also be argued that Nutt going from Ark to OM falls in the same category since Ark never technically fired him. It doesn't happen often, but it does happen and there is no rule against it.

ETA: I'm not worried about Mullen leaving for A&M either, mainly because I don't think they'd be interested in him based on the current resume. But there's nothing official that can keep them from pursuing him.

parabrave
09-04-2017, 10:26 AM
Hmmm Butch Jones should be 2 and MCe should be 2a. Heck MCe isn't even in the top 20.

HSVDawg
09-04-2017, 10:31 AM
Hmmm Butch Jones should be 2 and MCe should be 2a. Heck MCe isn't even in the top 20.

McElwain has won back to back division titles. He's good for at least this year and next. Yes, I know the East sucks.

Butch should be up there. Might climb into the mix if they lose today.

Quaoarsking
09-04-2017, 11:20 AM

Theoretically, all of those schools can pay Mullen what it would take to pry him away, but they won't, because they can get someone else with Mullen's resume for cheaper, or someone with a better resume for the same price.

Bothrops
09-04-2017, 11:48 AM
Spending exorbitant amounts of money hasn't gotten A&M anywhere.

HSVDawg
09-04-2017, 11:58 AM
Spending exorbitant amounts of money hasn't gotten A&M anywhere.

Not yet, but they haven't really even started spending money yet where it counts. Sumlin's salary is currently about the same as Mullen's, and his replacement will be their first HC hire of the SEC Network era. A new bar could be set.

bulldawg28
09-04-2017, 12:06 PM
PJ Fleck or Lane Kiffin

Dawg61
09-04-2017, 12:37 PM
That's not even close to to the last time. Ever heard of John Cohen? Also, Tubby Smith bolted from UGA to UK since Tuberville left OM. Could also be argued that Nutt going from Ark to OM falls in the same category since Ark never technically fired him. It doesn't happen often, but it does happen and there is no rule against it.

ETA: I'm not worried about Mullen leaving for A&M either, mainly because I don't think they'd be interested in him based on the current resume. But there's nothing official that can keep them from pursuing him.

Football only. If it wasn't an underlying rule for football it would most certainly have happened since Tuberville but it hasn't happened since 1999. You showing examples in baseball and basketball should tell you that schools don't give a **** about poaching other coaches yet they haven't done it in football in almost twenty years. Know why? Cause they aren't allowed to.

HSVDawg
09-04-2017, 12:59 PM
Football only. If it wasn't an underlying rule for football it would most certainly have happened since Tuberville but it hasn't happened since 1999. You showing examples in baseball and basketball should tell you that schools don't give a **** about poaching other coaches yet they haven't done it in football in almost twenty years. Know why? Cause they aren't allowed to.

It's not any more common in baseball or basketball than it is in football. It's not common, period.

In baseball I think it has happened 3 times in 25 years or so (all involving MSU): McMahon to UF, Cohen to MSU, Polk to MSU from UGA

In basketball, 1 time in 25 years that I can think of. Tubby to UK

In football it has happened twice in 25 years: DiNardo from Vandy to LSU, Tubs from OM to Auburn. Arguably a 3rd time if you count Nutt to OM, which I don't because I think that was a mutual decision between all 3 parties.

Please provide the link in the SEC bylaws explaining said rule. If you can't do that, please explain what disciplinary arm the conference has to enforce such an unwritten policy that can be backed up by the bylaws (fines, suspension from championship contention, a strongly worded email, etc.). You can't.

The Slive rule is a myth. Always has been. There haven't been any qualified candidates at the lower tier schools when big time positions open up. That is the real reason there has been no poaching.

Dawg61
09-04-2017, 01:11 PM
Underlying means it isn't written in the books. Going back past Tubberville to try to add ammo to your argument is misleading. There's been zero poaches in football since 2000. I can play that game too. Football means more than every other sport combined so if schools could poach in football they woulda done it at least once in the last 17 years. They haven't. Wonder why

HSVDawg
09-04-2017, 02:04 PM
Underlying means it isn't written in the books. Going back past Tubberville to try to add ammo to your argument is misleading. There's been zero poaches in football since 2000. I can play that game too. Football means more than every other sport combined so if schools could poach in football they woulda done it at least once in the last 17 years. They haven't. Wonder why

You totally missed the point. There haven't been any poaches period since 2008. It happens so infrequently in all sports that there is simply not enough data to prove there was a policy change under Slive.

All that aside, nobody has been able to provide any reasoning at all as to why a "no poach" policy would even help the conference. Allowing coaches to climb the ladder within the league allows good coaches to "promote from within" and opens doors for more good coaches to be brought into the conference to take their place at the mid tier schools. Having a "no poach" policy blocks that advancement and chases talented young coaches out of the league. Not allowing head coach hiring from within the league hurts the SEC, it doesn't help.

The Slive rule is a fairy tale that our fanbase took and ran with to make ourselves feel better when the "Mullen to whereever" rumors started way back in 2009. Plain and simple. If we win the West next year, Saban retires, and Alabama decides they want to take a chance on a now proven and bona fide Dan Mullen, there is not a damn thing anyone in the SEC can do or will try to do in order to stop them....i can assure you.

Dawg61
09-04-2017, 03:36 PM
You totally missed the point.

I think you did. I expect to see you be the leader in squashing any and all "Mullen to ..." from here on. Thanks for taking on that burden.

HSVDawg
09-04-2017, 06:39 PM
I think you did. I expect to see you be the leader in squashing any and all "Mullen to ..." from here on. Thanks for taking on that burden.

Haha, rep given. Mullen will do what he desires one way or the other and he has given us plenty of good years. If he's hired by a Bama or LSU, it means he's left our program in a hell of a good spot and we'll be making a new hire from a position of strength.

Commercecomet24
09-04-2017, 06:48 PM
I want Dan to stay here and become our Bobby Bowden(minus all the criminals). However with what he's built here, if he decides to leave one day, we are now where we can hire a PJ Fleck, Jeff Brohm type(and that's just some names I'm throwing out cause I like em). We are now a top 25 type job and can attract a big time coach. I hope Dan stays and wins 50 NCs but if he leaves we are gonna be just fine.

Mutt the Hoople
09-04-2017, 07:40 PM
Out here, everybody is talking Chip Kelly, Chad Morris (SMU), or Gary Patterson (tcu)

TUSK
09-04-2017, 08:18 PM
posted in another thread:

I don't know about the validity of or the "teeth" in this "Slive Rule"...

But I do know this: If McElwain, or Smart, etc get their programs rolling and Nationally Relevant over the next 5+ years, and Saban were to retire, the Commish would help em pack.

BB30
09-05-2017, 08:48 AM

Since 2000 what coach would you have poached from another school? There haven't been that many coaches worth poaching in the SEC at the lower programs and a KY doesnt have the $$ to poach a coach from one of the top SEC programs.

KentuckyDawg13
09-05-2017, 09:11 AM
Miami in the SEC?

116 ▼ Mark Richt Miami 57 SEC $4,250,000 17 155 55 0 .738 2 10 4 0 .714 9 4 1 0

Dawg61
09-05-2017, 09:18 AM
Since 2000 what coach would you have poached from another school? There haven't been that many coaches worth poaching in the SEC at the lower programs and a KY doesnt have the $$ to poach a coach from one of the top SEC programs.

Kentucky pays Calipari over $8 mill a year. They have the money. I do agree there hasn't been that many head coaches worth poaching but the fact there hasn't been a single one poached in almost twenty years now has to give some pause to the no-poaching rule being just a myth. James Franklin has Penn State currently ranked in the top 5 in the country. No way that guy should have been able to leave the SEC without getting at least one other SEC head coaching offer. I believe there is some truth behind the myth.

HSVDawg
09-05-2017, 10:16 AM
Kentucky pays Calipari over $8 mill a year. They have the money. I do agree there hasn't been that many head coaches worth poaching but the fact there hasn't been a single one poached in almost twenty years now has to give some pause to the no-poaching rule being just a myth. James Franklin has Penn State currently ranked in the top 5 in the country. No way that guy should have been able to leave the SEC without getting at least one other SEC head coaching offer. I believe there is some truth behind the myth.

Who should have offered Franklin? What jobs were open in the league during the offseason that he bolted for PSU?

You are also making assumptions that schools will always make the best hire for them which isn't always the case. UF could have hired any of 10 or 15 coaches (both from within or outside the conference) with a way better resume than Jim McElwain, but they didn't. If you go and look when Franklin left, you'll see there's absolutely no data to support the notion that he had a glass ceiling within the SEC.

Howboutdemdogs
09-05-2017, 03:54 PM
A&M,,,,,,,the ass, the ass, the ass is on fire, we ain't got no water, let the MF burn.