PDA

View Full Version : A&M QB out for year....

TUSK
09-04-2017, 12:26 AM
Broke his foot.

HSVDawg
09-04-2017, 12:33 AM
Always tough to play your first game and lose both your starting QB and your head coach for the season

Commercecomet24
09-04-2017, 12:40 AM
Things are dark in aggieland

IMissJack
09-04-2017, 06:41 AM
I thought I posted this last night, but must have not hit the post button. Anyhow, just before the UCLA vs. A&M game started, the announcer said something like- Get ready for two traditional powers UCLA and A&M. I do not consider A&M a "traditional power", and it has been a while for UCLA. A&M was terrible until Jackie got there, and that did not end well. They had a couple of good teams after that in the BIG XII, and then until Johnny Football, it was pretty mediocre. Having a big alumni base and lots of $ does not make you a traditional power IMO. Am I wrong about this?

ETA: My wife is an Aggie, so I have seen most of this up close.

ShotgunDawg
09-04-2017, 07:23 AM
Cue the Price is Right loser tune....

A&M nor UCLA is a traditional power.

A&M's football history is about equivalent to Arkansas.

Nice overall program but nothing close to a traditional power

msstate7
09-04-2017, 07:27 AM
Cue the Price is Right loser tune....

A&M nor UCLA is a traditional power.

A&M's football history is about equivalent to Arkansas.

Nice overall program but nothing close to a traditional power

Lsu wasn't either till they got the right coach. That's all aTm is missing

IMissJack
09-04-2017, 07:40 AM

But they are not and have not been a traditional power.

ShotgunDawg
09-04-2017, 07:54 AM

Maybe, but LSU is different.

There is a different culture in the state and, due to Death Valley and LSU being in the capital city, there is tons more pressure at LSU.

I don't think A&M can become LSU. It's not in their DNA

Dawgcentral
09-04-2017, 08:03 AM
I've always thought of LSU as a traditional power. Numbers might not back that up.

Dawgowar
09-04-2017, 08:09 AM
Big difference between being a traditional power and a traditional fixture/brand - both schools are traditional brands.

IMissJack
09-04-2017, 08:25 AM
I've always thought of LSU as a traditional power. Numbers might not back that up.

LSU is a traditional power (now). I meant A&M is not.

ShotgunDawg
09-04-2017, 08:43 AM
Big difference between being a traditional power and a traditional fixture/brand - both schools are traditional brands.

I don't see A&M as a traditional brand either.

They've never really done anything

Bubb Rubb
09-04-2017, 09:15 AM
I don't see A&M as a traditional brand either.

They've never really done anything

They are a sleeping giant. I am fearful of them going out and finding a great coach because they have virtually unlimited resources there. Let's hope sumlin hangs on, or they really fumble the next hire.

HSVDawg
09-04-2017, 09:32 AM
That's like saying Florida is not a traditional power because they weren't anything before Spurrier got there. What happened 30+ years ago is hardly relevant now in today's college football landscape. A lot of people think Nebraska is a great job because of them being a "traditional power" when in actuality it is an average job at best in a state with no football talent and a fanbase with completely unrealistic expectations. Osbourne was so influential in that state that he had every junior high and high school team running his option offense for a quarter century, and was therefore was able to draw on a pool of players that could execute his offense at an extremely high level despite not being the best athletes on the field. But once that dried up, sp did Nebraska football.

Point is that the current landscape has placed A&M in a very advantageous position, regardless of whether they are a "traditional power" or not. Those two words are probably the most overused cliche in college football.

IMissJack
09-04-2017, 09:45 AM
They are a sleeping giant. I am fearful of them going out and finding a great coach because they have virtually unlimited resources there. Let's hope sumlin hangs on, or they really fumble the next hire.

The best thing to happen for SEC west is for UT to become relevant again. Keep some competition on A&M.

WSOPdawg
09-04-2017, 09:47 AM
Always tough to play your first game and lose both your starting QB and your head coach for the season

Yup, Sumlin gonna be shown the door.