PDA

View Full Version : O-Line

MaroonFlounder
09-03-2017, 06:14 PM
1) Elgton Jenkins is out of position. He should be at guard instead of center IMO. (If there's any other guy that can snap the ball and be that anchor). He pulls and blocks downfield better than anyone. We could have a better unit overall if someone else could be at center.

2) Stew Reese is going to be REALLY good in time, but 2 false starts and let his guy get around the edge on pressure multiple times.

3) Darryl Williams most improved from spot duty last year. It's a miracle he was not severely hurt when he went down motionless in a game last season. ( I think he was the guy)

4) Hevesy can make up for his incompetence in OL recruiting by turning this group into a SEC-worthy group, but there's a LOT of work to do. There was way too much pressure on Fitz for a FCS defense. And they didn't seem to run-block very well until the 2nd half when CSU was gassed.

Todd4State
09-03-2017, 06:22 PM
I don't understand the double standard that Dan has for some positions. The running backs have to be gurus at the position before they get meaningful carries.

We have a center that snapped low the entire game and despite having another center who was accurate with his snaps he still is starting at center.

That's BS.

Kyper
09-03-2017, 06:22 PM
agree on all points.

Reese will take half a season to be ready
Jenkins will have a tough time vs LSU and should be at OG instead

CadaverDawg
09-03-2017, 06:46 PM
I agree. Why not leave Daryl Williams at C considering that's where he played last year? It would allow Jenkins to play a spot that makes us better. Just doesn't make sense. Every year, same OL bullshit. Sickening

Ifyouonlyknew
09-03-2017, 06:50 PM
I agree. Why not leave Daryl Williams at C considering that's where he played last year? It would allow Jenkins to play a spot that makes us better. Just doesn't make sense. Every year, same OL bullshit. Sickening

He played guard last year. We recruited him at center but he didn't take well to it his RS year so he was moved to guard. I thought Darryl played well yesterday.

CadaverDawg
09-03-2017, 06:55 PM
He played guard last year. We recruited him at center but he didn't take well to it his RS year so he was moved to guard. I thought Darryl played well yesterday.

I thought he backed up at C last year.

Yeah, he played pretty well yesterday....I just feel like Jenkins was outstanding at the end of the year last year, so I don't get the position change. If it's bc we have nobody else, then that once again points back to my main issue. It's always a game of musical chairs and piecemealing on the OL. Rarely do we have a set starting 5, much less any depth to speak of. So if Darryl wasn't/isn't able to play C, I guess we just had to do what we had to do based on the small number of capable bodies on the OL.

thf24
09-03-2017, 06:58 PM
I think it's pointless to second guess personnel decisions at this point. Mullen and staff are the ones making money to coach football, and if they think putting Jenkins at C is the best move for the offense as a whole, then I believe them. Sure, he as an individual in a vacuum would probably perform better at G. But C is still a critical and demanding position, and it's probably just be the reality of our situation that we don't have anyone else we can put at C to free up Jenkins for G and result in an overall better unit. Which of course brings us back around to the ultimate problem: recruiting.

Ifyouonlyknew
09-03-2017, 07:02 PM
I thought he backed up at C last year.

Yeah, he played pretty well yesterday....I just feel like Jenkins was outstanding at the end of the year last year, so I don't get the position change. If it's bc we have nobody else, then that once again points back to my main issue. It's always a game of musical chairs and piecemealing on the OL. Rarely do we have a set starting 5, much less any depth to speak of. So if Darryl wasn't/isn't able to play C, I guess we just had to do what we had to do based on the small number of capable bodies on the OL.

Joq Johnson was the backup Center last year. Don't really disagree with anything else just pointing out about Darryl.

craigmid
09-03-2017, 07:04 PM
Have a lot of work to do. A Train should have had a 200 yard day against them.

thf24
09-03-2017, 07:10 PM
Have a lot of work to do. A Train should have had a 200 yard day against them.

Read my reply in Cadaver's post. A RB in our offense isn't going to have much room to run against any competent defense if our QB is limited to mostly handing off, as Fitz undoubtedly was yesterday. And even with the limitations, Aeris was over 5 ypc and Hill and Gibson were over 6.

DogsofAnarchy
09-03-2017, 07:29 PM
Read my reply in Cadaver's post. A RB in our offense isn't going to have much room to run against any competent defense if our QB is limited to mostly handing off, as Fitz undoubtedly was yesterday. And even with the limitations, Aeris was over 5 ypc and Hill and Gibson were over 6.

I was more concerned with the up the middle blocking yesterday. That's where pressure came from the most.

thf24
09-03-2017, 07:43 PM
I was more concerned with the up the middle blocking yesterday. That's where pressure came from the most.

That could still be part of the scheme. I'm not saying the scheme is THE reason and that we definitely didn't simply struggle yesterday; just that we can't know it if the QB doesn't have the green light to run, and that it's turned out to mostly have been the case the past several years when looking back after week 2-3.